Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What games they made in the last decade, anyway

TF2, EP1, EP2, DotA2 are all I can think of off the tip of my presently aching head but there's something on the tip of my tongue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

wasn't there some lady who worked for valve that got fired and it was a big deal because no one is ever fired from valve. she was working on some sort of VR or something and explained why it was so difficult to get anything done there.
like, they bought all this expensive machine equipment to prototype, but they wouldn't hire a machinist because they needed to hire the best of the best and she was like "you don't need to pay someone a million a year to build you prototypes". She also said nothing ever got done and they were all "you don't 'get' valve" and fired her.

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

They'll announce Half Life 3 is a MOBA using Source 2. Humans vs. Combine and the map is Black Mesa or City 17. Coming Late 2017. The Left 4 Dead 3 MOBA will launch before it.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Valve makes games??

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh L4D 1 and 2, yeah, now I remember

That doesn't really seem like a bad track record, six games in ten years, though granted EP1 and 2 weren't exactly chock full of new I guess

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Valve is proud to announce that we are partnering with Telltale games to produce a brand new episodic pppbbbbbbttthhhh

cams
Mar 28, 2003

everybody who talks about really liking half life and wanting half life 3 are in on a big joke, right? cause half life is one of the most mediocre fps games ever made and only matters because of counter strike?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

wasn't there some lady who worked for valve that got fired and it was a big deal because no one is ever fired from valve. she was working on some sort of VR or something and explained why it was so difficult to get anything done there.
like, they bought all this expensive machine equipment to prototype, but they wouldn't hire a machinist because they needed to hire the best of the best and she was like "you don't need to pay someone a million a year to build you prototypes". She also said nothing ever got done and they were all "you don't 'get' valve" and fired her.

You don't need to get things done when you pull in $400,000,000+ per year on dota which hasn't changed much since 2011.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the rumors i've heard last year suggest that Valve is pulling out of making video games. They don't care anymore. They are going to focus on DOTA2 and Counter-Strike still but that's like it. Both games might get sequels in like a decade but otherwise I would be floored if Valve announces a new game anytime soon.

cams posted:

everybody who talks about really liking half life and wanting half life 3 are in on a big joke, right? cause half life is one of the most mediocre fps games ever made and only matters because of counter strike?

Everyone get a load of this lovely opinion over here. :lol:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Nuh uh, Half Life 2 Episode 3 is right around the corner.

I WANT TO BELIVE

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cams posted:

lol at this right here

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
... but the big news is that the Half Life 2 season will have 5 episodes.
Let your grandchildren know.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cams posted:

No no, Half Life 1 was monumentally important.

2 was a pile of rancid poo poo.

E: Sorry that's unfair of me. 2 was an uninteresting, bad-to-play shooter with terrible level design and incredible art direction.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 3, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I will defend Half Life 2 to the death. Xen was and will always be total bullshit

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cams posted:

It's a solid A effort but no one old enough to understand why Half-Life is important is going to bite, sorry.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I like Xen.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

You can't leave me on a cliffhanger, come back 7 years later, and expect me to still be holding on. Couldn't care less about the story at this point.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It's been nearly four years since Valve made a video game. Dotas and counterstrikes aren't video games just fyi.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
All valve games have been good.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

The REAL Goobusters posted:

All valve games have been good.

controversial of u. O_O

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
condition zero tho

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Henron posted:

controversial of u. O_O

I know Henron I know. Don't cry 4 me when I am crucified.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

What games they made in the last decade, anyway

TF2, EP1, EP2, DotA2 are all I can think of off the tip of my presently aching head but there's something on the tip of my tongue

Half life 2, L4d 1 and 2 like you said, portal 1 and 2, Swarm, Cs:Go, Dota 2, tons of extra content for many of these games, Steam (which is an insurmountable amount of work even though it's not a game) in the last ten years plus maybe some other bs. Valve put out a ton of software but haven't really done a full length game in maybe 4 years which fuels the speculation that maybe they've got something big coming? Or maybe they've wasted 4 years counting steam money and rethinking the steam box/steam controller/VR over and over. Who knows? Very exciting and ultimately disappointing time to be a gamer.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Out of all of those games, only Half-Life 2 can be said to be 100% original Valve material.

Pretty much every single other one of those games is from a developer that was bought out and assimilated into the huge amorphous mass that is Gabe Valve.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Out of all of those games, only Half-Life 2 can be said to be 100% original Valve material.

Pretty much every single other one of those games is from a developer that was bought out and assimilated into the huge amorphous mass that is Gabe Valve.

No.. Those are all valve games that they made, you're reading between the lines because you read gaming websites is my guess..sorry...

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I read the internal memo, they're taking a page from Square's book and announcing the release of a new Half Life experience, yes, that's right, there will be an increasingly disappointing trailer followed by the reveal of the Half Life HD Collection, up-rezzed and ported from PC to the PS4 and XBONE. Also the headset will be demoed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Hahah what? Where the hell did you get this from? Off the top of my head, Half-Life, Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Episode 1 & 2, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Alien Swarm, Portal, Portal 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive are all original Valve games. Most of what Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat are now are made in-house at Valve.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Valve, being the developers who made Half-Life and Half-Life 2 haven't had an original game idea for nearly a decade. If anything, Valve should get immense credit as a publisher as they helped fund the Narbacular Drop team to make Portal, Turtle Rock to make Left 4 Dead, IceFrog et al to make DOTA 2 and Hidden Path to make CS: GO (which was originally a port of Counter-Strike: Source, a joint venture by Turtle Rock and Hidden Path, that itself being a remake of Gooseman and Cliffe's original Counter-Strike)

I imagine Gabe keeps them all in a giant cage and pokes them with sticks until they can come up with something else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Valve, being the developers who made Half-Life and Half-Life 2 haven't had an original game idea for nearly a decade. If anything, Valve should get immense credit as a publisher as they helped fund the Narbacular Drop team to make Portal, Turtle Rock to make Left 4 Dead, IceFrog et al to make DOTA 2 and Hidden Path to make CS: GO (which was originally a port of Counter-Strike: Source, a joint venture by Turtle Rock and Hidden Path, that itself being a remake of Gooseman and Cliffe's original Counter-Strike)

I imagine Gabe keeps them all in a giant cage and pokes them with sticks until they can come up with something else.

Okay someone clearly needs to goto bed. It's pass their bed time. Off to bed with you.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ddraig posted:

No...those are valve games that fit a unified aesthetic in presentation execution and design...I think you may have some mental illness brought on by having a lot of gaming news sites bookmarked in your browser.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The evening arrived; the developers took their places. Gabe, in his cook's uniform, stationed himself at the copper; his pauper assistants ranged themselves behind him; the gruel was served out; and a long grace was said over the short commons. The gruel disappeared; the developers whispered each other, and winked at Gooseman; while his next neighbors nudged him. Coder as he was, he was desperate with hunger, and reckless with misery. He rose from the table; and advancing to Gabe, basin and spoon in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:

'Please, sir, I want some more.'

Gabe was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupefied astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the developers with fear.

'What!' said Gabe at length, in a faint voice.

'Please, sir,' replied Gooseman, 'I want some more.'

Gabe aimed a blow at Gooseman's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ddraig posted:

The evening arrived; the developers took their places. Gabe, in his cook's uniform, stationed himself at the copper; his pauper assistants ranged themselves behind him; the gruel was served out; and a long grace was said over the short commons. The gruel disappeared; the developers whispered each other, and winked at Gooseman; while his next neighbors nudged him. Coder as he was, he was desperate with hunger, and reckless with misery. He rose from the table; and advancing to Gabe, basin and spoon in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:

'Please, sir, I want some more.'

Gabe was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupefied astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the developers with fear.

'What!' said Gabe at length, in a faint voice.

'Please, sir,' replied Gooseman, 'I want some more.'

Gabe aimed a blow at Gooseman's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.

you could've just said "he fat" but no

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i like Jon Tron and Gabe Newell both who are incredible people.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

echronorian posted:

No...those are valve games that fit a unified aesthetic in presentation execution and design...I think you may have some mental illness brought on by having a lot of gaming news sites bookmarked in your browser.

I can assure you any mental illness I have is not a direct result of gaming news sites, being that I never frequent them. This here is home grown organic mental illness carefully nurtured by goons.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

whatever is announced tpmorrow, I can assure you that it will get me excited to know end because it's.....Valve.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Valve are giving an exciting physics presentation on their new jiggle bone technology, a revolutionary breakthrough that occurred when Gabe accidentally fell down some stairs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Complete remake of all Half-Life everything into three acts, ending with the destruction of the combine.

Beat THAT for ridiculous expectations, if you can.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Complete remake of all Half-Life everything into three acts, ending with the destruction of the combine.

A new Half Life game.

:toot:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

They'll release the first part act now, the second in 2 years and the third...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.
inb4 valve's VR headset demo game is actually the fan-made half-life 1 remake "Black Mesa"

• Locked thread