Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

instantrunoffvote posted:

Cool. I can do tomorrow at 6pm EST, though not much later. I meet you in IRC then.
I think we might have missed each other, but I'm still on IRC if you want to play. It also turns out I have all of tomorrow off as well, so I can be flexible for whatever works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I'm going to be on more like 10 - 10:30 tonight

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
WHEN is the feature match and HOW do I yell over it with gangsines

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
do you have skype or somethin to do a google hangout w/ bafh and whoever else

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
and looks like 10pm est

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

jassi007 posted:

I'm going to be on more like 10 - 10:30 tonight

sounds good to me. I should figure out why my pidgin broke and fix it so I can hop on irc or something. Post here or send a pm when you're getting online.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LordSaturn posted:

How you wanna link up?

Xeom gets it 2-1. Game 1 I take my last ever gamble on double wasteland and no taxes. Game 2 I stick a turn 1 Thorn and it all goes sideways from there. Game 3 I put up a good show with double Thorn and Tangle Wire, but he gets Duck Faygo up too fast and I can't find my Phyrexian Revoker soon enough to safely play out my Forgemaster and try to win. Definitely learned some stuff about sideboarding against Dork Frampton + spells decks.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
FEATURE MATCH UP : http://twitch.tv/gangsines

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
In honor of the tournament I will be putting this up as a prize to first place:

So... play to win boys.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The March Hare posted:

So... play to win boys.

That is amazing. I love that card.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I have defeated Jassi int he first feature match 2-1 entirely on the back of anemic 2/2 beats. Cockatrice is super slow though, I strongly will suggest using skype to speed along interactions in future games if you use cockatrice because just text was very tedious.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
cockatrice, not a good program to get through a match in anything resembling a timely fashion. So g1, I hosed up because I did not realize until it was to late that I could have stormed off sooner by repealing my own lotus to generate the 1 additional storm count I needed. Fun times though, hope it wasn't incredibly boring watching me fumble through a deck i've never played on that dumb software.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Jassi played flusterstorm for free

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
thx to locke and jassi for playin the feature match and thanks to march/esporks/BAFH for joining me in commentary. double thanks to everyone who watched us instead of VSL. i'm uploadin the vid now, will post it in the morning.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

The March Hare posted:

So... play to win boys.

...holy gently caress someone paid to get that graded really.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I lost 2-1 to Viscardus. Turns out that first-turn Trinisphere and mana denial can win games without even playing blue. I had all my hopes on a Devout Witness in Game 3, and she got Dismembered before I could even use her once.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Chamale posted:

I lost 2-1 to Viscardus. Turns out that first-turn Trinisphere and mana denial can win games without even playing blue. I had all my hopes on a Devout Witness in Game 3, and she got Dismembered before I could even use her once.

Yeah, turns out Trinisphere is restricted for a reason. I mulliganed to five in Game 2 and won entirely off of Trinisphere.

I topdecked the Dismember the turn you played that Devout Witness, by the way. :smug:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

gang sines posted:

thx to locke and jassi for playin the feature match and thanks to march/esporks/BAFH for joining me in commentary. double thanks to everyone who watched us instead of VSL. i'm uploadin the vid now, will post it in the morning.
I had more fun commenting than I thought I would. I would be willing to do more of these.

I also PMed my opponent and ahven't heard from them. So Trilas, I am available most weekdays after 5pm PST and I am almost always in IRC.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 11, 2015

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It was a fun commentary gang

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Hell I'd do commentary one of these days if I catch this thread at the right time. I had more fun listening to you guys pull a Rifftrax on vintage match coverage than I thought was possible.

"Did he just forget to draw off Preordain?"
"Ah, the ol' 1 mana scry 2."

"I think jassi is playing to his out of 'hope locke goes to the bathroom, then resolve all my spells while he's gone'".

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud16Ro6e3W4

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Ok I checked the tape he definitely played flusterstorm for free lmao

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

called shots

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

The free flusterstrom happens at 49:38 lol. One of the strongest plays available in magic, eclipsed only by old time favorites like brainstorm 3 and put none back

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Jonked posted:

I think we might have missed each other, but I'm still on IRC if you want to play. It also turns out I have all of tomorrow off as well, so I can be flexible for whatever works for you.

Yeah, sorry, work was crazy yesterday. I've got today off, so whenever we can meet up is good. I'll be in IRC.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jassi played flusterstorm for free

The free flusterstrom happens at 49:38 lol. One of the strongest plays available in magic, eclipsed only by old time favorites like brainstorm 3 and put none back

Are you sure I played it for free? You might want to check again. I don't think you have enough posts about it yet.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Deck check for blue spirit guide.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

jassi007 posted:

Are you sure I played it for free? You might want to check again. I don't think you have enough posts about it yet.

I'm just loving with you man no one thinks you tried to cheat intentionally in the for fun magic tournament. You didn't even know the mint condition Army of Allah was on the line at the time

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Now that we know the stakes I suggest having a table judge for each game.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, sorry, work was crazy yesterday. I've got today off, so whenever we can meet up is good. I'll be in IRC.
Sounds good. I'll be around on IRC for the next couple hours, and then I have to pick up my SO at 3:30pm EST (about 3 hours from now). After that, I should be able to play sometime this evening. I'm on IRC right now, and I'll be setting up so that I can stream. So, if you want to play, ping me on IRC or post here or whatever. I'm off tomorrow completely as well, if that turns out to be more convenient.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
InstantRunoffVote beat me 2-0. It seemed like his deck was able to get going faster than me, and I couldn't come up with counters or answers. Also pretty sure I misplayed his Gifts package in game one.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Jonked posted:

InstantRunoffVote beat me 2-0. It seemed like his deck was able to get going faster than me, and I couldn't come up with counters or answers. Also pretty sure I misplayed his Gifts package in game one.

Thanks for conceding once I was comboing off with Salvagers, by the way. Trying to do that on xmage is incredibly tedious and there's a decent chance I would have messed it up.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks for conceding once I was comboing off with Salvagers, by the way. Trying to do that on xmage is incredibly tedious and there's a decent chance I would have messed it up.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you wanted to play it out or not, if you had the wincon in hand or whatever. Once you started recurring the spellbomb I figured you weren't globetrotting :)

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Jonked posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you wanted to play it out or not, if you had the wincon in hand or whatever. Once you started recurring the spellbomb I figured you weren't globetrotting :)

Yeah, I can just recur spellbomb until I find a tasigur, tasigur to draw the rest of my deck, and then just use tasigur to ancestral you 20 times. It actually was locked at that point if you didn't have any disruption (and I had a flusterstorm if you did).

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
@GottaPayDaTrollToll, I'll be around to night around 830-9, I'll be in IRC, so find me there if you want to dance. I'd also love to get a practice match in if anyone's free.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, I can just recur spellbomb until I find a tasigur, tasigur to draw the rest of my deck, and then just use tasigur to ancestral you 20 times. It actually was locked at that point if you didn't have any disruption (and I had a flusterstorm if you did).

Although if your win condition is letting your opponent draw everything, they can draw everything they might have to fight back. I've learned this lesson from my Lodestone Bauble recursion deck.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
anyone who's had trouble fetching, plz pm me or catch me in IRC

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gang sines posted:

anyone who's had trouble fetching, plz pm me or catch me in IRC

Incidentally, in that game where a bug got in the way, I topdecked a land and won anyway. I lost the next two games.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Alright. Fetches are hosed in the deck I started out with, and I haven't played my first match yet, because of that, so Gang Sines ok'd me doing a new deck.

Here it is.

NAME:21 control
1 [ICE:61] Brainstorm
1 [JR:35] Demonic Tutor
3 [MPR:40] Lightning Bolt
1 [MBS:99] Blightsteel Colossus
2 [LEB:302] Volcanic Island
2 [ZEN:220] Misty Rainforest
3 [WWK:31] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 [8ED:91] Merchant Scroll
2 [ISD:78] Snapcaster Mage
4 [MMA:75] Dark Confidant
1 [2ED:275] Time Vault
1 [LEA:261] Mox Emerald
1 [ICE:348] Snow-Covered Island
4 [JR:83] Force of Will
3 [NPH:38] Mental Misstep
1 [LEA:262] Mox Jet
1 [USG:171] Yawgmoth's Will
1 [2ED:84] Time Walk
1 [C14:270] Sol Ring
1 [2ED:48] Ancestral Recall
4 [ZEN:223] Scalding Tarn
1 [5ED:93] Hurkyl's Recall
1 [LEA:265] Mox Sapphire
1 [LEA:264] Mox Ruby
2 [LEG:65] Mana Drain
1 [M11:219] Voltaic Key
1 [ULG:45] Tinker
1 [CHK:268] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [2ED:264] Mox Pearl
1 [KTK:233] Flooded Strand
1 [USG:330] Tolarian Academy
1 [VIS:22] Vampiric Tutor
1 [CHK:62] Gifts Ungiven
1 [ARN:90] Library of Alexandria
3 [LEA:295] Underground Sea
2 [ZEN:67] Spell Pierce
1 [2ED:233] Black Lotus
1 [MBP:6] Mana Crypt
SB: 1 [THS:38] Annul
SB: 3 [C14:179] Ingot Chewer
SB: 1 [EVG:60] Mountain
SB: 2 [DKA:149] Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 1 [M10:217] Pithing Needle
SB: 1 [C13:249] Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 1 [M10:146] Lightning Bolt
SB: 1 [FUT:93] Yixlid Jailer
SB: 1 [5ED:93] Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 [LEB:171] Red Elemental Blast
SB: 1 [ICE:213] Pyroblast
SB: 1 [C13:96] Toxic Deluge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Also, the mana leak is there because cavern of souls makes it hard to have UU before turn 3 when you would want to be mana leaking or mana draining. Also, my friend who has been playing this deck owns 4 of every card, and most of them in german, russian, or korean.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread