Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Still in. Still playing Shops.

Eternal Misery for Everyone

4 Ancient Tomb
1 Karakas
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Mishra's Workshop
4 Mutavault
1 Strip Mine
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Wasteland
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Darksteel Juggernaut
3 Dismember
4 Lodestone Golem
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Null Rod
4 Phyrexian Metamorph
4 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Sol Ring
4 Sphere of Resistance
4 Thorn of Amethyst
1 Trinisphere

Sideboard:

1 Dismember
2 Crucible of Worlds
1 Ghost Quarter
4 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Null Rod
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Tormod's Crypt
1 Witchbane Orb

Edit: Does anyone have their deck on MTGO? I'm just missing 4 Wastelands, so when Wasteland: the Set comes out (May) or if they go down significantly in the meantime, I'll be able to play there. Or if my opponent has a playset for me to borrow for the match.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I'm getting a weird issue where every time I try to search my library the game hangs and won't pass priority between either player, has anyone else had this happen, or figured out why it happens? A couple people on the forums for xmage have had similar problems, but no solution was presented there that I could find.

It happened to Stinky Pit in multiple games. I think it has something to do with having updated to a newer version.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Network42 posted:

I'm torn, because I want to play vintage but find xmage to be a vastly shittier mtgo which is saying a lot.

Cockatrice works just fine, mostly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Can we make some sort of "post in the thread to acknowledge that you've seen pairings and set a time" rule? I think 2 of my 6 opponents have actually responded to me in the legacy thread in any sort of reasonable time. It's really annoying.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

gang sines posted:

are you thinking somethin more than the last call post? or doing a checkin earlier? i def want people to get in touch asap but i dunno what more to do besides give forfeits on the deadline if i don't hear from one of the players.

definitely pm or post if by middle of the round you haven't even heard from your opponent so it's on my radar/i can try to help coordinate.

Yeah. Like, people know when the pairings go up so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to post within a day or 2 to say "hey, I'm around at these times. I'll be in irc" or whatever. It's pretty annoying when I'm apparently supposed to meet half my opponents in irc but I haven't heard a word about it. I'm rarely on my computer so I don't really go on irc. I've had whole weeks where I didn't hear from my opponent until Saturday night and I had to play on Saturday or Sunday when I'd rather have gone out or done something with my one day off that week.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

No, I don't expect you to babysit people and start PMing everyone 3 days after you post pairings, but if my opponent suddenly appears for the first time Saturday afternoon, I don't particularly want a loss because I made plans for the weekend or because my work schedule doesn't let me play on those days. I guess what I'm saying is if a game doesn't get played for whatever reason, look at who's made an effort to contact the other person.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm not up on you kids' technology these days, but if someone wants to help me set up a video recording thing, I'll try to set up something so you can hear why I'm making the terrible decisions I'm making.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lonely Bridge posted:

gently caress

oh uh yea, alright. I can play week nights after 4-5~ Eastern. Let me know when you want to rumble!

Unfortunately I work 4-12 Monday-Friday this week, so it looks like we'll have to play either Friday after I get home or some time during the weekend.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I too am available evening EST this week, . Xmage is still being buggy on every computer I have tried it on though (3 at this point) and will hang every time I search my library with a fetch. Maybe its something to do with my decklist thats causing the problem? The main point is that we may have to use cockatrice if xmage keeps constantly crashing. I will try altering the versions of the lands in my deck to see if that changes anything, but after that Im out of ideas on how to fix it.

This seems to be a problem with the newest version of Xmage.

If anyone has a link to the previous version, it may be worth putting it in the OP along with the version number so people can make sure they have the right one.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm free now Lonely Bridge. Also I'll be free tomorrow at latest after dinner time until around 10 EST.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Yeah, I blame part of it on not knowing I couldn't cast Force Of Will from the graveyard via alt casting costs from Force of will, and part of it on drawing one goddamned land the second game.

But I still might get the 0-x gangtag.

How were you casting it? Snapcaster doesn't let you flash it back without paying 5. Yawgmoth's Will does.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

2/1 over Lonelybridge thanks to his powerful mull to 5.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lonely Bridge posted:

To be fair, you play a deck that forces me to make mulligan decisions like that. I had a pretty simple storm hand on 7 but the fear of something like a t1 chalice on 0 will cause me to look for a better hand. I feel like mulligans in Vintage are a lot more of a viable option that most other formats - I wouldn't say the mulligan was entirely what brought me down. It's more of a feature of your deck choice to force opponents to cripple themselves to try to get around your lock. It is kind've funny to get beat down by mutavaults and no resistance as a storm deck though

Oh, definitely. From what you said about your 7 it sounds like you were right to mulligan. I'm not usually going to jam a Chalice for 0 unless I also get a Sphere effect down first, but I don't think that's a risk you can take considering I did exactly that in game 1. And I don't think keeping a hand that can just cast Griselbrand if you draw another black source is necessarily a bad plan. Not like in going to counter it or put a Chalice on 8.

Speaking of mulligans, if you remember me saying my hand Game 1 was pretty much unbeatable before mulling, I did have almost the absolute perfect hand: 2 Thorn, 2 Revoker, Lodestone Golem, Chalice. Oh, and Tolarian Academy. :negative:

Lonely Bridge posted:

The 5 cards were actually really not that terrible. I had oath of druids and a shitton of mana, just no way to give him a dude. He ended the game with 2x multavault + 2x factory, definitely avoided putting a dude into play. I needed to draw a business spell (I had a literal fuckton of artifact mana) or a way to trigger oath but instead drew blanks and lab maniac :v:

Yeah, I held my Darksteel Juggernaut and a 2nd Metamorph (I considered making a 3rd Witchbane Orb, but 2 felt like plenty so I was saving it to make my own Griselbrand.) the entire game. I might be terrible as evidenced by my Revoker choice in game 1 (I should have named Lotus, not Griselbrand, when you're at 8 life facing down 12 power) and by playing said Revoker game 2, but I do learn eventually.

Out of curiosity, do you have more than 1 Griselbrand? Game1 you didn't Oath again after I killed your first Griselbrand, so I was curious if you only had 1 or if you just got lucky and drew the 2nd.

Either way, they were pretty good games! I've never beaten a Griselbrand before.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

gang sines posted:

3) Xeom vs suicidesteve

I'm free Wednesday and Thursday after 5ish PM EST, more or less whenever this weekend, as long as we plan ahead, and maybe today around 9/930, but probably not.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

gang sines posted:

yo w/ bafh eating a perma do you have steam to set up the game

Oh god. What did he do now?

Also still waiting to hear from my opponent. I'm going out Friday and I'd prefer to spend some time with my wife this weekend considering my week has literally been work, sleep for a few hours, back to work.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chamale posted:

I credit both my wins to Restoration Angel, because a 3/4 with Flash and Flying is bigger than anything that gets hardcast in Vintage, and all my counterspells and card draw let me hold on long enough to start playing them.

My 5/3 would beg to differ. :colbert:

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Chamale beat me 2-0, and you can just drop me because my deck is trash (i.e. doesn't have blue).

My deck only has 4 blue cards.

You just need more Siege Rhinos.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Well I've posted like 4 times and haven't heard anything from my opponent. I'm probably not going to be able to play tomorrow and Monday isn't looking super likely either.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm giving up on contacting my opponent. If he wants to get at me, I'm not hard to find.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

xeom dropped

:krakentoot: I really didn't want to play that matchup.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

FEATURE MATCH: Ranpire [2-0] vs suicidesteve [2-0]

Whooo! Feature match! So this is a weird week for me. I'll probably have to play on Saturday or Sunday.

How many rounds is this going to be anyway?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

five rounds

Thought so. Did we just have that many people drop or was it 5 rounds regardless of how many people joined. I'm terrible at tie-breaker math; do we have any idea what record gets into top 8? 3-0-2? 3-1-1? 2-0-3 :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ranpire posted:

Well then! Saturday or Sunday sounds fine, probably US evening-ish? I still can't run Xmage and will need to play on Cockatrice. Apologies if that's an inconvenience, I remember some complaints from the other week so it's fine if folks want to feature a different match...

Screw that noise! We're the feature match. I'm thinking Saturday night EST sometime would work best.

Do I need to do anything special to be featured? Or do you guys just watch our game?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ranpire posted:

All right, cool beans. I should be free anytime Saturday.

Cool. I'm probably taking the family to the zoo in the afternoon but after dinner I should be free until around 10.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Anyone going to be around in half an hourish wanna jam some games?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'll probably be on around 7-8 EST today. I'll join the irc channel then.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

congrats to suicidesteve for takin it 2-0. will get video posted asap

[lsv]My draws were ok, but my play was perfect.[/lsv]

You can vouch that my draws were absolutely absurd, and I actually screwed up tapping lands a few times where I could have cast more things if I'd left my Academy up. As it turns out, Triple Lodestone Golem + Metamorph isn't the easiest thing to deal with. Well played by Mr. Ranpire and good luck to him in the future.

Edit: I definitely want to watch this video to see what you guys thought.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 5, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ranpire posted:

I admire its purity. A golem unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Yeah, not a lot I can add to the summary either. Steve had good draws and I was rendered unable to cast relevant spells... or, in game 1, any spells. Still good games though, shops working as intended!

It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death.

And to be fair, you cast a Black Lotus game 1. :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I watched the video. I didn't realize you didn't mean to block the chat window until the end. I thought you were protecting our privacy or something. You guys did a pretty good job. You caught my biggest misplay (it was actually potentially a pretty big one looking back at it; he could have cast Dack that turn the way I played it but not the way I should have played it.) You're no Rashad and Randy, but to be fair most people aren't.

My sideboarding was -2 Dismember, -1 Karakas, -1 Big Jugs, +2 Cage +1 Ghost Quarter, +1 Null Rod.

Dismembers really aren't good but I still wanted one in case he found his Heretic or to shrink a Blightsteel for a turn if I really have to. Ghost Quarter is the same as Karakas except it can do things besides tap for mana. Null Rod shuts off his easiest way of killing me.
I didn't go for all 4 Cages for 3 reasons:

1. He's probably not actively going to kill them like an Oath player would. His artifact removal is at a premium; if he's spending an Ingot Chewer on a Cage, I'm either in great shape or I'm losing the game regardless.

2. If he Tinkers up a Blightsteel there's a good chance he tapped out to do it and I can copy it safely.Since he's probably not going to have any other creatures, that means he has to chump my Blightsteel while my guys get in there.

3. He doesn't have Hurkyl's so if I can land a Sphere or 2, Yawgmoth's Win is no longer live.

As far as why I Wastelanded him in game 1 after playing the Sphere, it's because the way I lose that game is Dack, so I tried to play that whole game as if he had it in his hand. I guess looking back at it once the Sphere resolved there weren't any combination of cards that would have let him play Dack (Academy + Mana Crypt is close) but I was just playing as safe as I could. I wasn't changing the clock by attacking either way, so I went with being a little too conservative.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Your sideboarding is exactly what I'd have done. I pretty much had an unbeatable hand game 1 if I drew a land and drew really well both games. I definitely like Pyroclasm over Repeal. You don't want to spend X+1 mana to bounce 1 of my permanents, never mind the X+2 or X+3 it's likely to cost you. Mana inefficiency is not a winning plan against Shops. For how little I actually let you play, you were one card away from winning twice.

Revoker actually would have named Heretic. This was the first match where I did my homework (every other match of these leagues I've just gone in blind,) and that card scared me. I'm pretty sure if you untap with it I lose. I wouldn't call Forcing it a mistake, exactly. You definitely did it for the wrong reasons - even if I could/would have named a land you could have fetched while it was on the stack - but Forcing it leaves you with a lot more live draws. The game ended up working out where you couldn't have Forced anything else relevant anyway. Also, Dack is your best card against me. It lets you hit lands much more reliably and If you steal a Golem I'm probably not winning that game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

TheLawinator [3-0] v suicidesteve [3-0]

featuring the 2-1s to avoid shops for a week :3

Rigged! Nobody wants to see people play Magic! We want misery and suffering!

Anyway, what's the deal? Are we having a top 8? I'll help collaborate with people to get it done in a timely manner. I just want to Vintage more people.

Either way I should be around tonight and Wednesday after dinnerish, Friday sometime after midnight, and Saturday whenever probably. I'm not sure about Sunday yet. All times are EST.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

yeah we'll top 8 for that sweet sweet jihad

oh wait it's army of allah

In that case, do we have standings?

I want Army of Allah significantly less. But I still want it!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mr. Lawinator got back to me yesterday re: our games. Unfortunately due to eternal format-related brain trauma (8 rounds of legacy yesterday and 8 more of vintage today,) working 12 hours tomorrow, and just not feeling good, I'm not going to be able to play until probably Tuesday.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

2/0 over Mr. Lawinator in 2 good games. Sometimes Big Jugs gets you even after 4 Wastelands. Sometimes this happens.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

wow we got culled hard

FEATURE MATCH: 8) suicidesteve [4-0] vs TheKingOfSprings [4-0]

So how long do we have for this? This is a pretty bad week for me. I could either play Thursday around 10-11 PM or later, Saturday/Sunday early afternoon, or next Thursday night.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So. Why do my opponents never respond to me?

Clearly everyone is just afraid of two-time Mr. Nice Guy Games Vintage Champion.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

yo let's fight or something nerd

Thursday night work for you? Say 8ish EST? It sounded like it worked for the commentary team.

I'll also offer a split and play for fun so we can still have a feature match. I'm pretty sure we'll be guaranteed first and second.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

tkos is saying he may not be able to do tonight as a heads up steve

Welllll I don't know when I can do it next. I might be able to Saturday or Sunday depending on how this whole "watching my kid" thing goes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

i'd need to do sunday evening for the weekend, although i can do most of next week. also if saturday works best for you and someone else can cover casting that works too

I can probably do around 930, whenever my wife gets home. I'll be around all night tonight too if he can do it later.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I am sorry

If it is any consolation I now own a popcorn popper, beverage heater, and jellybean machine as a result of this night so

Not unless I'll be getting some of these popped corns or warm beverages it's not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

10's ok with me

Ugh. The sooner the better; I work at midnight.

• Locked thread