Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Look at it like this; the IMS bearing is like a really, really expensive timing belt. WHEN it goes your engine is mostly toast, and even if you change it you WILL have to change it AGAIN (assuming you own the car for a longer period of time).

That's a good analogy. I was referring specifically to stories I've heard of people taking a used purchase in and having upgraded IMS bearings put in before any issues occurred. I was just curious how much longer the improved bearings lasted, I assumed much longer otherwise why go through the prohibitive cost of replacing it in the first place...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

thechalkoutline posted:

That's a good analogy. I was referring specifically to stories I've heard of people taking a used purchase in and having upgraded IMS bearings put in before any issues occurred. I was just curious how much longer the improved bearings lasted, I assumed much longer otherwise why go through the prohibitive cost of replacing it in the first place...?

From what I understand, the LN Engineering bearing isn't sealed and it uses engine oil for lubrication. So it actually uses the design flaw to perform its function and completely bypasses the issue of keeping the OEM sealed bearing clean. Plus it uses these crazy ceramic bearings so my guess is it lasts quite a bit longer. Even though my engine has a replaced bearing, I'll probably do the LN piece with my next clutch job (which is hopefully about 3 years from now).

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

thechalkoutline posted:

I recommend you read this if you haven't already: http://www.euroquipe.com/misc/intermediate-shaft-upgrade-retrofit-kits.php

TLDR: good things to do are frequent oil changes, high RPM driving (when the engine is warm), using oils with moly additives (e.g. Liqui Moly 5w40)

I also had my oil tested by Blackstone at every oil change

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Admirable Gusto posted:

I recommend you read this if you haven't already: http://www.euroquipe.com/misc/intermediate-shaft-upgrade-retrofit-kits.php

TLDR: good things to do are frequent oil changes, high RPM driving (when the engine is warm), using oils with moly additives (e.g. Liqui Moly 5w40)

I also had my oil tested by Blackstone at every oil change

the best thing to do it to let it detonate and put in a 3.8 carrera turbo motor

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Admirable Gusto posted:

I've owned mine for two days and I've already banged it against the limiter on a mountain run. I'm gonna be a good owner. :3:

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

McMadCow posted:

I've owned mine for two days and I've already banged it against the limiter on a mountain run. I'm gonna be a good owner. :3:

during the PCA meet up on sunday I had mine at redline god knows how many times keeping up with the 911's and over 100mph at least 12 times, top speed was 152 that day but ive had it to 190 2 bars bast the redline in the past. its not stock but not too heavilly modded either

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

655321 posted:

So I guess not an amazing story but I always thought it was fun.

:golfclap:

One of my old man's friends had (pretty sure he sold it a few years back) a white 930, complete with white leather interior and white Fuchs. When I was maybe 12, I got a ride in that thing and learned the true meaning of turbo lag.

Up until a couple years prior to that, my dad had owned nothing but P-cars - a 914 and a 912, both of which he bought and sold before I was old enough to remember, and a '74 911 that promptly tried to kill him with fire. I was too young to remember it before the fire, but I remember the restoration and definitely remember the next ten years of cramming into the back seat while he flogged it. I'd love to own an air-cooled '78-'89 but with the way that market is going, that will probably be... never.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd love to own an air-cooled '78-'89 but with the way that market is going, that will probably be... never.

What's special about the 78-79s?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tremek posted:

Mmm - low numbers in the US, leather dash, bigger brakes / floating front calipers, 3.0 -> 3.3 motor change, intercooler addition.

My dad had an 88 or 89 911 Targa with the whale tail when I was younger, sold it probably ten years ago. If he knew then what he knows now...

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 24, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd love to own an air-cooled '78-'89 but with the way that market is going, that will probably be... never.

I learned to drive a manual in Dad's '78 Targa...what a car. Sadly he sold it off shortly after I graduated college so I didn't have the money to buy it off him. We're in contact with the current owner and first in line when he goes to sell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

911SC introduced in '78, which if I remember correctly resolved a lot of reliability issues found on earlier 911s. The '84-'89 Carerra introduced some upgrades without otherwise loving with the formula. A/C is more common in these cars too, and while I realize it's not much, it's better than nothing in AZ.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

thechalkoutline posted:

the real solution is to put in the "ims solution" that removes the baring completely and puts in an oil fed system to keep it lubricated

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I hadn't, thanks

Arione posted:

the real solution is to put in the "ims solution" that removes the baring completely and puts in an oil fed system to keep it lubricated

From what I casn tell it's not available for MY06-08, only MY00-05; seems best you can do with the former is replace them with upgraded bearings but that necessitates tearing down the engine completely

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I just did a de-snorkel on the Boxster and put in a K&N air filter. The intake noise is amazing now, even without loading. Best $50 upgrade ever.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

McMadCow posted:

I just did a de-snorkel on the Boxster and put in a K&N air filter. The intake noise is amazing now, even without loading. Best $50 upgrade ever.

pics now!

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-porsche-boxster-spyder-photos-and-info-news

I may have to sell a kidney soon...

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
How's the 996 GT2 on maintenance and upgrades-wise ? My stepfather is really pushy about me buying his so he can buy an RX-8 but I'm not sure I would be able to keep it running, his is a 2004 model clubsport. Drove it a few times and it's brutal, not sure how the old guy managed to survive but that can also means he babied it and that can be bad for the engine ?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
996 GT2 to RX-8?

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Sh4 posted:

How's the 996 GT2 on maintenance and upgrades-wise ? My stepfather is really pushy about me buying his so he can buy an RX-8 but I'm not sure I would be able to keep it running, his is a 2004 model clubsport. Drove it a few times and it's brutal, not sure how the old guy managed to survive but that can also means he babied it and that can be bad for the engine ?

That's an odd jump. The 996 GT2 can be a bit of a handful as its only assistance is ABS so maybe that's why he wants something more sedate?

Any Porsche, I don't care what you're getting, should have a PPI run on it with a complete DME report to show overrevs prior to purchase. The 3.6L Mezger turbo engines are pretty solid overall. Way, way overbuilt. The bottom end on it can take insane power and stock internals is good for quite a bit more power. They're one of the few turbo cars from that era (heck, even today) that can stand up to track abuse without overheating. If he's giving you a good price on it, I'd jump. 996 GT2 values have climbed up in the last year or so. They were severely undervalued at 75k and most are trading hands in the 80k range now.

As far as maintenance... yeah it's going to cost a bit. The engines and gearboxes are reliable but if a $25k engine rebuild would be financially devastating I'd pass. Brakes and tires are fairly standard costs. I guess it's all about what seems normal to you. I don't know if all GT2s came with carbon ceramics but if you track the car, take them off immediately to save for future sale. They don't last long on the track and are insanely expensive to replace. Most track guys switch to steel brakes and don't miss out much on performance or weight. Even ceramics on Porsches today are just awful on the track unless you have an unlimited budget. They always say "the new ceramics are better than the last generation" and a year later someone that bought into the bullshit is complaining about a $16k brake job after a year of tracking.

Anyway, good luck with the decision. For my money it'd be hard to turn down a 997 GT3 but I've idolized that car for far too long to be objective about it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

...with a complete DME report to show overrevs prior to purchase...

Why is this? Do you mean in the case of money shifts? I've owned my Boxster for a little less than two weeks but I've already run it up to the limiter. Is it somehow a bad thing to do that or are we talking some sort of action that causes the engine to rev beyond the computer limit?

I ask because I was under the impression that hard revving was one of the ways to stave off IMS issues.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

My Porsche addiction began with the 987.2 Boxster Spyder.

I finished a degree in 2012 and decided to treat myself to a new car. I wasn't convinced that standard 911s were worth consideration and for some reason didn't think I was ready for a 997 GT3. In hindsight that was an incredibly dumb decision as they were trading hands for $70k but I wasn't sure I could swing payments. I still had the Elise at the time but I almost never returned it back to street configuration after track days and I was driving it less and less. In my mind the Spyder was Porsche's take on the Elise and it was crazy fun. Annoyingly it was just as fast on the track as my heavily modified Elise. I sold it when I moved to Colorado and while it was the sensible decision I miss having a really special Porsche. I can't stand the 2014 STI that replaced it but I need to keep it for another soul-crushing year.

I love, love, love the new Cayman GT4. Porsche continues to find new and interesting ways to cripple the Cayman and on this one it's ridiculously long gearing but that can be changed. Everything else about the car is brilliant. I was ready to put down a deposit but my wife doesn't think that's the right move prior to buying a house so that one will wait. I'm looking forward to seeing how depreciation hits the GT4 but my guess is not much in the first 2-3 years.

I'm not completely sold on the new Spyder. The 3.8L would be epic in it but the front end from the GT4 is too aggressive for an otherwise smooth design. The top is definitely a compromise for the people that thought the tent on the 987.2 Spyder was too much. The humps in the back don't seem to go well with the car in this generation and yet in some pictures it looks nearly identical to the old one.

My plan in 2016 is to return to a Porsche/Lotus garage, I'm just not sure how exactly it will look. I'd like an Exige this time around but they're a good $10-15k more than an early Elise and they're not that much better. It would eat into the budget and I would almost rather put that extra cash toward the Porsche daily. This time around I think I need to try a 911. With the budget I'm looking at (~$40k) I think the best I can do is a 997.2 C2. The 996 Turbo is under consideration but I'm not sure I can get over that interior. Is a 996TT with a tune (~480-500bhp) worth living with the outdated interior and fried egg headlights? Or should I stick with a simple and reliable 997.2 and focus on track mods with the Lotus?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

McMadCow posted:

Why is this? Do you mean in the case of money shifts? I've owned my Boxster for a little less than two weeks but I've already run it up to the limiter. Is it somehow a bad thing to do that or are we talking some sort of action that causes the engine to rev beyond the computer limit?

I ask because I was under the impression that hard revving was one of the ways to stave off IMS issues.

If the IMS is going to go, it doesn't matter how much you redline it. There's a lot of misinformation about that issue out there but the simple fact is that it involves a defective part and if it's going to fail it doesn't matter how you drive it. And that's a big "if." There are plenty of engines out there that have not exploded.

The DME report shows you the number of overrevs in five ranges and the engine hour in which the last one occurred. Ranges 1-3 are actually under the redline and just give you an idea of how hard the car was driven. Range 4 overrevs are slightly over redline and in most cases wouldn't scare me off of a car as long as you know the owner was good with the maintenance. Range 5 are legitimate problems in my opinion and would typically scare me off of a purchase. For reference, I tracked my Spyder prior to knowing or giving a crap about future DME reports and I showed a small number in ranges 1-2, a couple in 3, and nothing in 4 and 5. I don't baby cars on the track so you'd basically have to miss a shift to hit 4 or 5. I'm not sure ranges 4-5 are possible on PDK since the ECU won't let you downshift too early.

I recommend a DME/PPI on any Porsche because despite the price, engine rebuilds or swaps are crazy expensive. A $10k Boxster will still cost about $8-12k to replace the engine if something happens. A PPI is either $150 or $300 and well worth it in my opinion. If it's a new car and you know the owner is not a track person you can probably get away with it but it's still a gamble. Maybe with a PDK car it's not important?

Pr0kjayhawk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 3, 2015

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That's an odd jump. The 996 GT2 can be a bit of a handful as its only assistance is ABS so maybe that's why he wants something more sedate?

Any Porsche, I don't care what you're getting, should have a PPI run on it with a complete DME report to show overrevs prior to purchase. The 3.6L Mezger turbo engines are pretty solid overall. Way, way overbuilt. The bottom end on it can take insane power and stock internals is good for quite a bit more power. They're one of the few turbo cars from that era (heck, even today) that can stand up to track abuse without overheating. If he's giving you a good price on it, I'd jump. 996 GT2 values have climbed up in the last year or so. They were severely undervalued at 75k and most are trading hands in the 80k range now.

As far as maintenance... yeah it's going to cost a bit. The engines and gearboxes are reliable but if a $25k engine rebuild would be financially devastating I'd pass. Brakes and tires are fairly standard costs. I guess it's all about what seems normal to you. I don't know if all GT2s came with carbon ceramics but if you track the car, take them off immediately to save for future sale. They don't last long on the track and are insanely expensive to replace. Most track guys switch to steel brakes and don't miss out much on performance or weight. Even ceramics on Porsches today are just awful on the track unless you have an unlimited budget. They always say "the new ceramics are better than the last generation" and a year later someone that bought into the bullshit is complaining about a $16k brake job after a year of tracking.

Anyway, good luck with the decision. For my money it'd be hard to turn down a 997 GT3 but I've idolized that car for far too long to be objective about it.

Thanks for all the useful information, I don't know either why he would change for an RX-8 but he is an asian guy in his sixties so take that as you will, regarding the buying price he made it semi-clear to me that he planned to give it to me (or give me a loan on it) as a wedding gift but I was trying to tell him that there's no way in hell I'd keep it in good condition because of the cost of ownership. You're talking about 25k engine change, that's what I make in a year. It's a fine car tho and probably the last porsche I like but yeah I think I'll pass.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Pass. Getting in over your head on a car like that when you're making $25k annually is just asking for heartache and sorrow.

You sure he's getting a Mazda rx8 and not an Audi R8?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...I'd take it and figure out a way to properly store it until I could afford it. Either way, it's just going to appreciate over time.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
After 9 years with my Integra, and 2 different careers I decided to upgrade.

2006 (late 2006), 72,000 on the clock, new rear tires and front brakes.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Nice! Base or S? Manual? Is it your daily or do you have other plans?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Nice! Base or S? Manual? Is it your daily or do you have other plans?

Daily, base model. I don't have much a commute and I live in so-cal. It was my fathers car and when he upgraded to the 2014 I offered to buy it off him so he wouldn't have to do the song and dance of selling it himself. This thing was his baby, only ever services at the dealer with Porsche parts.

I also got a killer deal on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sh4 posted:

Thanks for all the useful information, I don't know either why he would change for an RX-8 but he is an asian guy in his sixties so take that as you will, regarding the buying price he made it semi-clear to me that he planned to give it to me (or give me a loan on it) as a wedding gift but I was trying to tell him that there's no way in hell I'd keep it in good condition because of the cost of ownership. You're talking about 25k engine change, that's what I make in a year. It's a fine car tho and probably the last porsche I like but yeah I think I'll pass.

Well hell if he's going to give it to you, and you have a place to put it, you can always have a different DD and keep it for awhile, have some fun with it, and then sell it when the prices go up on them. I sure as hell wouldn't refuse a loving 996 GT2 if someone was trying to give it to me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Whatever happened to that redneck wonder basket case 944 that someone on here bought a couple of years ago? The thread kind of died off and the OP (I forget who it was) doesn't post here anymore. :(

That was a fun thread.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
question now is do I go fabspeed,n/a intake and exhaust or TPC racing turbo?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Is the rule still the same on 944's - 5k for a good model or 3k for a car with 2k worth of work to bring it back up to snuff?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Sh4 posted:

How much do you want for it?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is the rule still the same on 944's - 5k for a good model or 3k for a car with 2k worth of work to bring it back up to snuff?

I always heard it was 10k either way.

A buddy of mine offered to sell me his 996 Targa sometime in the next year (he wants to buy a 308). I'm not crazy about 996 styling and I know the Targa is heavier and floppier, but this may be a cheap way to try on a 911 and see how I feel about it. I also kind of like huge glass roofs since I crave daylight, even on gloomy/rainy days. He's the second owner and has taken good care of it, but it does have 175k miles. Clutch, flywheel and some exhaust stuff was recently replaced. AFAIK it has no issues (I don't know if it has the roof creak). IMS/RMS have not been replaced. At this mileage it seems unlikely that they suddenly would, but who knows.

Anyways - 175k miles on a cheapish 996 - too much?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm pretty sure this rule applies to all Porsche's. Pay $C for one in good condition or pay $A + $B for one that needs things.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

blk posted:

I always heard it was 10k either way.

A buddy of mine offered to sell me his 996 Targa sometime in the next year (he wants to buy a 308). I'm not crazy about 996 styling and I know the Targa is heavier and floppier, but this may be a cheap way to try on a 911 and see how I feel about it. I also kind of like huge glass roofs since I crave daylight, even on gloomy/rainy days. He's the second owner and has taken good care of it, but it does have 175k miles. Clutch, flywheel and some exhaust stuff was recently replaced. AFAIK it has no issues (I don't know if it has the roof creak). IMS/RMS have not been replaced. At this mileage it seems unlikely that they suddenly would, but who knows.

Anyways - 175k miles on a cheapish 996 - too much?

996 never made a targa?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Arione posted:

996 never made a targa?

There was a 996 Targa after 2002. It's a big glass roof like the 997 was.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
Joined the club this weekend - 2011 Carrera S. My first sports car, the first time I've not owned a boring 4 door sedan.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Arione posted:

question now is do I go fabspeed,n/a intake and exhaust or TPC racing turbo?

I can tell you from personal experience the guys at TPC are douches. If that factors into your decision at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Visiting my parents and they are offering to sell me their 997.1 C4S 6 speed with the power upgrade. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread the huge caviat here is that it's a cabriolet. Makes sense in the tropical paradise they live in but not in the city where I live. Flip side of course is how cheap they will sell it to me and the knowledge that the car has been a garage queen its whole life.

Would you buy a black 15k mile 2006 C4S cab for SIGNIFCANTLY below market value, or wait till a good 997.2 GTS pops up on the market and just accept that it will be a lot more expensive?