Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Please save that car from its owner. :ohdear: At least it sounds like it's maintained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

Please save that car from its owner. :ohdear: At least it sounds like it's maintained.

The guy is apparently a doctor(a shock, I know) that has 6 or 7 Porsche's. I'm not sure if this shop works on all of them, but they said he takes real good care of them, so there's that. I'd still get a PPI done, wonder if that shop would be a good choice due to their relationship with the guy?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

The guy is apparently a doctor(a shock, I know) that has 6 or 7 Porsche's. I'm not sure if this shop works on all of them, but they said he takes real good care of them, so there's that. I'd still get a PPI done, wonder if that shop would be a good choice due to their relationship with the guy?

Yeah get it done somewhere else.

The now owner of my old Spyder paid for a PPI at the dealership in Denver. I was a little worried about any overrevs that might show up in the DME and the service technician said, "We're not in the business of scaring anyone away from your car." Made me feel good as a seller but a buyer... eh.

I think ranges 1-4 aren't actually overrevs, just how close you get to the redline. 5 and 6 are actual overrevs so pay attention to the count and the last time it was recorded (meaning, if you see a bunch of hits in the 5 range at engine hour 2500 but the engine has 5000 hours overall you're probably fine).

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

fknlo posted:

I'm glad that they immediately sold a couple years worth of these right off the bat because they offer long enough loans where I could realistically afford one if I happened to come across one sitting at the dealer.

When I stopped to take the picture a nearby construction worker said that owner was bragging about how it cost him $150,000 when he got out. Even going crazy on the Porsche options list, that sounds like it was carrying a pretty hefty rare car markup from the dealership.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Drove this bad boy today

untitled-0031 by John Gallup, on Flickr

best shot I got of the interior color

untitled-0019 by John Gallup, on Flickr

Very :awesome:

Gotta decide if it's what I want now. The banner and lamin-x would obviously go. I can live with the wheels. They said this guy does it to all of his cars. So that means the GT4 that is replacing this car will get the same treatment...

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
:stare:

Whooooaaaaa

It's jumped the shark and I actually kind of like it. Without the banner I'd like it even more.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The interior color seems to be getting the most hate, but I didn't think it was that bad.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

fknlo posted:

The interior color seems to be getting the most hate, but I didn't think it was that bad.

It's just saddle brown...nothing weird about it IMO. Except it doesn't really go with the yellow exterior.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

It's just saddle brown...nothing weird about it IMO. Except it doesn't really go with the yellow exterior.

Definitely not the best combo. It wasn't terrible or anything.

Just saw my first GT4. God drat. It's a sign. That I need a GT4.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

fknlo posted:

Definitely not the best combo. It wasn't terrible or anything.

Just saw my first GT4. God drat. It's a sign. That I need a GT4.

There's one on Kijiji in my neck of the woods that has caused extensive self-flagellation

Also painful: the Cayman R's being sold at awesome prices so people can pay for their GT4's :smith:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

Also painful: the Cayman R's being sold at awesome prices so people can pay for their GT4's :smith:

I forgot about the Cayman R. I'd rock one of those at the right price. None anywhere near here though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

fknlo posted:

I forgot about the Cayman R. I'd rock one of those at the right price. None anywhere near here though.

Rennlist + one-way plane ticket = :getin:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

Rennlist + one-way plane ticket = :getin:

I'd absolutely travel for a vehicle again. I flew to Minneapolis for a VW cabby one time, so yeah...

Test drove a couple more cars today. C6 Z06 and a Golf R. The Z06 was alright. The Golf R was cool and if I hadn't driven a 911 turbo and the Z06 within a day I would have been impressed. It would definitely be a good daily.

The 996TT had me giggling when I drove it. The Z06 didn't. The sales guy being in the car with me probably didn't help a lot. I liked the power delivery and sound, I just don't think I can see myself in one.

Also stopped by the local Porsche dealership and talked with a guy about the GT4 for a while. He basically told me "good luck" in regards to getting one. Him telling me about driving one didn't make me want one any less :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I look at the stupidest things sometimes.

Look, a GT3!. and another!

Just because it's a dumb financial move doesn't make it a bad one, right? Not like they're gonna get any lower than that :v:

e: wonder what is wrong with that second one. That's stupid cheap compared to what other cars are being listed at.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 11, 2015

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

There was a GT4 sitting on a lot at Porsche Houston for all of one day about 6 weeks ago.

I would be lying if I didn't admit to thinking about canceling my M3 order then and there and dailying a stiff rear end Cayman for a few years.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
What the heck, a Porsche thread and I didn't see it?! Preposterous!

Here's my '82 SC on the track being dusty:

And here's what it sounds like when you're an idiot and put in a complete bypass (switching that out for new headers right now).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq59G7wuEHw

I also have a junky '83 944 spec car which I don't have very many pics of, and I used to have a 2000 911 and an '87 924S before that. I miss that 996.

996 HEADLIGHTS. LOVE THEM OR gently caress OFF.

I'm uh... something of a p-car fanboy. I'd be lying if I said I haven't spent way too much time thinking about selling all of my cars and picking up a 997 GT3.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

gently caress. Yeah.

That's a beautiful car. You have the proper wheels on it and everything. (Assuming 8's and 9's by the yeah/dish)

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Motronic posted:

gently caress. Yeah.

That's a beautiful car. You have the proper wheels on it and everything. (Assuming 8's and 9's by the yeah/dish)

Thanks much! I'm not sure if they're original but they're model/year correct. I think they're actually 6 and 7s, I'm running 205/55r16s up front and 225/50r16s in back. The 8 inch rim was for the 930, I think, and those look dished like crazy.

Edit: God, who knows what wheels went where, nobody can keep track of all the options and packages that got different wheel sizes.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dave Inc. posted:

More of this!

quote:

996 HEADLIGHTS. LOVE THEM OR gently caress OFF.
*fucks off*

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fknlo posted:

I look at the stupidest things sometimes.

Look, a GT3!. and another!

Just because it's a dumb financial move doesn't make it a bad one, right? Not like they're gonna get any lower than that :v:

e: wonder what is wrong with that second one. That's stupid cheap compared to what other cars are being listed at.

The white one DO EEEEET!

Under no circumstances is a GT3 a dumb financial move, rationalize it any way you can :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

Thanks much! I'm not sure if they're original but they're model/year correct. I think they're actually 6 and 7s, I'm running 205/55r16s up front and 225/50r16s in back. The 8 inch rim was for the 930, I think, and those look dished like crazy.

Edit: God, who knows what wheels went where, nobody can keep track of all the options and packages that got different wheel sizes.

I thought the 911s of the same era with Fuchs were 1" larger on each end than the m030 high spec 944s (mine is 7/8). Some research says probably not.....but you're right about keeping track of option packages.

The crazy dish fuchs were the 9's and are basically unobtanium now:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aren't there any aftermarket deep dish Fuch copies? Besides, wouldn't it be possible (albeit probably expensive) to put a deeper dish on original Fuchs?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Every repro Fuchs I've ever seen is only for looks (read: they are heavy as gently caress boat anchors which misses the point of why people who know what they are doing want Fuchs to begin with).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

The white one DO EEEEET!

Under no circumstances is a GT3 a dumb financial move, rationalize it any way you can :v:

That white one is loving gorgeous. The payments would be the same as on a 996 just over a couple more years...

It would also be a kickass road trip bringing it back from San Fransisco.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

fknlo posted:

One of my biggest hangups with the 996 has always been the headlights, but the ones on the Turbo's really aren't that bad. It's the early ones that had the full on fried egg rounded on the bottom headlights that I can't stand. There really is no saving the narrow body ones though.

fknlo posted:

Looks like I might have a lead on a yellow 996TT. Got the number from an independent Porsche shop here in town that has been doing work on the car since 2007. According to them it's pristine outside of the spoiler not working and a few "less than tasteful stickers". I'm told it's yellow lamin-x on the headlights and a CIVIC MUSTANG PORSCHE banner on the windshield, so nothing that shouldn't be easily removable. <40k miles and $46.5k asking with some possible "wiggle room" on that. Gonna have to give that guy a call.

A repost of my own car, pictures three years old and still my favorite I have of it. A '01 Turbo, where they still used the 993 GT3 engine with twin turbos.

Sadly the Modulare Rims are old enough to be pitted and ugly from the brake pad dust. They're M24 305/235's that the previous owner installed and I've liked them a lot. Plan in the future is to get them sandblasted and powder coated either yellow or black. The color on the car itself is really starting to fade too, Its more of a banana yellow then speed yellow. At the very least it needs the clear coat redone.

Its got the issue with the spoiler hydraulics too that seems to be a class problem.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Anyone in Canada want a GT4?

http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/893021-2016-porsche-cayman-gt4.html

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I came for the GT4, I stayed for the Rennlist slapfight

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Motronic posted:

I thought the 911s of the same era with Fuchs were 1" larger on each end than the m030 high spec 944s (mine is 7/8). Some research says probably not.....but you're right about keeping track of option packages.

The crazy dish fuchs were the 9's and are basically unobtanium now:

Well I was wrong too, they're 7 and 8, not 6 and 7, just measured. Unfortunately someone replaced or repainted the hood and forgot to redo the options stickers but it did have one of the sport options--just not sure which one. Might be the wheels are original might be they're not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

I came for the GT4, I stayed for the Rennlist slapfight

Yeah, that was pretty good. I called about a GT4 I saw listed in Illinois. "One of our 918 buyers decided to sell it. It's been titled but never driven. $120k." Not interested, sorry.

Did get a lead on another 996TT in state. Trying to get more pictures and info. Black on black with the carbon interior package, so a little less polarizing than the last one I looked at. If it looks good talking to the guy I'll try and check it out next week.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I really hope the move to turbo only doesn't start driving up the price of NA 997s :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

I really hope the move to turbo only doesn't start driving up the price of NA 997s :(

I was reading a thread on Rennlist about this and I kind of agree that it depends on how good the new turbo engines are. They'll obviously still be desirable, but if they hit it out of the park with the new engines it may not be much of a factor. On the other hand, once they shitcan NA engines in the GT3/4 line you can expect those to go completely nuts. All the more reason for me to buy one!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I don't know, aside from some quality issues the 996 really did have a better engine than the 993 and people still go on about arrggghhh air cooled!!!!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Remember to practice safe Porsche and wash your car. As I defy the law and wash my car in California.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

blk posted:

As the owner of a 997.2 GTS 4, I sort of hope it does, but weren't there rather a lot of 997s?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ColHannibal posted:

Remember to practice safe Porsche and wash your car. As I defy the law and wash my car in California.

Just don't buff it or you'll break it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Just don't buff it or you'll break it.
Is this an in joke or something?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ColHannibal posted:

Is this an in joke or something?

Pretty sure dude posted in this thread. He used a mechanical random orbit buffer on his Cayman and it shorted the ECU.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Pretty sure dude posted in this thread. He used a mechanical random orbit buffer on his Cayman and it shorted the ECU.

This seems like such a one in a million thing to happen, I almost cant believe it unless there was something really dumb like on a split that was also plugged into the cigarette lighter.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I think it was static build up or something.
(Supposedly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Should get to check out another 996TT this week. 2001, black/black, carbon package, <25k miles, $46.5 asking. He says the only issues are a small ding on one of the rear quarter panels and a scratch on one of the wheels. So it's probably a rusted out shell with a salvage title.