Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

This seems like such a one in a million thing to happen, I almost cant believe it unless there was something really dumb like on a split that was also plugged into the cigarette lighter.

I thought so too, but I read some Porsche forums a while ago and it was definitely a thing. I'm not sure if it's still going on or not, but it wasn't as rare as you'd think it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Flew an hour to meet a guy from craigslist. Did not get turned into a lampshade. Car was in really good shape outside of a couple dings. Will also need new tires. Probably gonna get a ppi done on it.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

Flew an hour to meet a guy from craigslist. Did not get turned into a lampshade. Car was in really good shape outside of a couple dings. Will also need new tires. Probably gonna get a ppi done on it.

That's strong money for a 996TT but the miles are ridiculously low so I'm betting it's worth the premium. Good luck with the PPI.

If I was staying up in Denver much longer I would definitely be in the market for a 996TT or 997TT. Something odd happened in the last two years: I like the updated 996 headlights and the 997TT almost looks too gaudy with the vents and holes and weird foglights. The 996 interior will always be a challenge for me to appreciate though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That's strong money for a 996TT but the miles are ridiculously low so I'm betting it's worth the premium. Good luck with the PPI.

If I was staying up in Denver much longer I would definitely be in the market for a 996TT or 997TT. Something odd happened in the last two years: I like the updated 996 headlights and the 997TT almost looks too gaudy with the vents and holes and weird foglights. The 996 interior will always be a challenge for me to appreciate though.

I thought the price was pretty good. Most of the cars I've seen in that mile range are listed for $50k+. It does have those small dings and will for sure need new tires (fronts are original), so I was thinking of offering just under $45k for it. It's also not a high option car, but I'm OK with that because the nav unit in them isn't exactly great. And who doesn't need a tape player? Only other "issue" is that he has done stuff like oil changes himself and just has receipts for oil and filter, but that's how I'll do it too, so that's just a wash. I'll post a few bad pictures in a bit.

I'm kind of with you on the 997tt fog lights. They look really weird since I've been looking at 996 cars. I still can't stand narrow body 996's or the early ones with the actual boxter headlights.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Am I totally off base in thinking 996TTs were $10k cheaper a year ago? Is anyone actually tracking this?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Am I totally off base in thinking 996TTs were $10k cheaper a year ago? Is anyone actually tracking this?

I wasn't looking a year ago, but I'm pretty sure that prices have gone up. You can still find cars in the mid to upper $30k range, but there's that standard Porsche thing where a car is going to cost at least $XXk no matter what you actually pay. One of the things that seems to be driving up prices is the air cooled guys buying them as cars to drive while their cars skyrocket in value sitting in their garage.

For the car I'm looking at, both independent shops where I live told me the only place to get the PPI done where the car is is at the local dealership. Naturally the dealership doesn't have any available appointments for a couple weeks. They said if the owner could drop the car off Monday or Tuesday they'd be able to get to it in a couple days at most. So of course the owner doesn't want to do this. Doesn't want to leave it there, it might rain on it, extra mileage, etc... So now it's time to make a bunch of phone calls to get this figured out because I really don't want to wait a couple of weeks.

e: Got a PPI scheduled but it's not until the 29th :negative:

God drat I don't want to wait that long. Hopefully it doesn't rain. It sucks but I really think the car is clean enough with low enough miles to make it worth it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 17, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The lot at work got a new friend today (GT4)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like how the BMW is the special one that needs to park diagonally.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's a gate (not pictured) to the left of that car, it's the last spot and there's no way to get in there but at the angle it's in.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Cross-posting from "What did you do to your ride today" because Porsche.

Angry air-cooled flat six with new headers and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWPfONFbnk

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Dave Inc. posted:

JESUS

That sounds awesome.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dave Inc. posted:

God drat that sounds great!

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Thanks guys, I'm a pretty happy camper.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So the car that I looked at last week that couldn't get a PPI done until next week...

They apparently put it on ebay without saying anything to me and sold it a couple of days ago. What the gently caress? gently caress you.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

fknlo posted:

So the car that I looked at last week that couldn't get a PPI done until next week...

They apparently put it on ebay without saying anything to me and sold it a couple of days ago. What the gently caress? gently caress you.

Bullet dodged my friend.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

howling_mad posted:

Bullet dodged my friend.

I'm hoping he just decided to not sell it. He didn't really seem like he wanted to and was in no rush to do so. I don't know why he wouldn't just tell me that he decided not to sell it though. I sure as poo poo didn't see it on ebay any time I've done searches on there.

e: found the ebay listing. Ended 3 days ago. Why the hell wouldn't you mention that it was on ebay? It was pretty loving obvious that I was interested in the car.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 24, 2015

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

I'm hoping he just decided to not sell it. He didn't really seem like he wanted to and was in no rush to do so. I don't know why he wouldn't just tell me that he decided not to sell it though. I sure as poo poo didn't see it on ebay any time I've done searches on there.

e: found the ebay listing. Ended 3 days ago. Why the hell wouldn't you mention that it was on ebay? It was pretty loving obvious that I was interested in the car.

Sounds like he was able to sell the car without doing a PPI. Or that he knew it wouldn't pass after you asked for it. Bullet dodged indeed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Or that he knew it wouldn't pass after you asked for it. Bullet dodged indeed.

This is all I can really come up with in all honesty. Oh well, I'll just keep searching. Initial list prices for 996TT's seem to be climbing a bit, so hopefully I'll still be able to find something good in the price range I've set. Seeing a lot of cars start off in the $50k range now :smith:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
The Macan just rolled in earlier this week and so far I'm very happy with it, especially because my wife is happy with it.

The air suspension and PASM make it surprisingly comfortable but still razor sharp around corners and the PDK is surprisingly smooth compared to my old a DCT S4 which was noticeably snappy. The only driving complaint is that it's gutless from a stop unless you mash the throttle or keep it in sport mode. It might not be bad compared to most cars but the S4's supercharged V6 had oodles of torque low and my Jeep is probably one of the best examples of responsive throttle so I might be spoiled. When the revs come up it's terrific though so it's not a big deal, but still surprising and I wouldn't expect them to set up the programming that poorly. The interior is really well put together and feels like a spaceship but the infotainment is a bit clunky and the mid-level Bose stereo is average but once again I'm spoiled by the Jeep's HK system. Still don't regret passing on the 4k to upgrade to the top stereo though, especially since it's not my DD.

Family shot (my wheels are crazy dirty)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

The only driving complaint is that it's gutless from a stop unless you mash the throttle or keep it in sport mode.

Both my 997.2 CS and 997.2 4 GTS were/are like this. I asked the dealer if there was a way to get it to default to sport mode, but no luck. I think it's so they can claim mileage figures based on normal mode. I got used to putting it in sport as soon as I start it up, and I just put it in normal mode on the interstate. Or, you can use manual mode and always leave it in sport.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 27, 2015

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Gorgar posted:

Both my 997.2 CS and 997.2 4 GTS are like this. I asked the dealer if there was a way to get it to default to sport mode, but no luck. I think it's so they can claim mileage figures based on normal mode.

My 987.2 is actually shockingly gutless below ~2500 rpm. If I listen the the little shift indicator. I'd never drive above it. I'm drat sure this is for bullshit mpg / emissions regs.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What's this threads consensus on wood trim interiors in 911's? I generally don't care for them, but have found a red one with the savannah beige interior with the full wood trim and don't hate it in pictures at least. I definitely like the carbon fiber better, but it doesn't look bad in this particular instance. One of the big things I didn't like about the first car I looked at was the wood trim interior, but it was really out of place in that weird color combo the car had. There's a very similar car with the carbon trim in California but the dude is asking $10k more than the car in the picture. Which is loving ridiculous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That wood trim is tacky as poo poo in there. Looks like it's the 60+ year old physician package.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Its not bad, not good either.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

One of these drove past me yesterday while I was running, it sounded great.

I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise but I just built one out on the online configurator and holy poo poo the options are expensive

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 28, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Its not bad, not good either.

This was kind of my feeling. It's doesn't look anywhere near as bad as in the yellow one I looked at. The price and mileage on this one are what has me interested. I could probably live with it? I do like it better than the ones with just plain old plastic pieces, but that's not saying a lot.

e: found a post about that particular car on rennlist from a guy who looked at it. Already has some delamination issues. My garage not being climate controlled won't really help that much either.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 28, 2015

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yeah, the plastic trim was peeling in my 996 and that looked bad enough--I can't imagine how grungy that would look with weird wood trim.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I think I'd like wood trim, but with a black interior. It looks strange to me with beige.

I'm not a particular fan of carbon fiber for the looks, but it's an improvement over the standard wheel I had before because it doesn't get roughed up by normal use.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There was a 997 GTS that was pretty cheap, and I realized why when I saw its blood red steering wheel. The guy had picked red as the accent color, and it ruined the interior.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gorgar posted:

I think I'd like wood trim, but with a black interior. It looks strange to me with beige.

I'm not a particular fan of carbon fiber for the looks, but it's an improvement over the standard wheel I had before because it doesn't get roughed up by normal use.

I like both trim options better than the standard plastic. I don't think I've seen any cars with the full leather option yet.

This is the only other car I've come across in the past few days that I have any real interest in. I didn't think I'd like that interior color with carbon fiber but I do. I think the price is way too high. Hopefully it will sit and he'll lower it to the mid $40's. There was an X50 car with 10k miles for only $2k more in St. Louis this week. I think it sold almost instantly because that price was good, but this particular car shouldn't be priced anywhere near that.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Motronic posted:

That wood trim is tacky as poo poo in there. Looks like it's the 60+ year old physician package.

This, or one of those eBay trim kits. I'm not sure that the carbon is much better. They're both overwhelming in combination with the tan interior.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

What is it about Rennlist that makes members think their car is worth $10k more than market?

That wood trim looks really, really bad. It could be replaced with other trim bits but nothing can fix the peanut butter tan of the 996 era.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

What is it about Rennlist that makes members think their car is worth $10k more than market?

It's not just people on Rennlist huffing their own farts. Look at Autotrader and you'll find plenty of 50+ thousand mile cars that aren't anything special listed at $50k+. I think people are trying to force prices up, but I'd say the majority of those cars have been listed since I started looking.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

fknlo posted:

It's not just people on Rennlist huffing their own farts. Look at Autotrader and you'll find plenty of 50+ thousand mile cars that aren't anything special listed at $50k+. I think people are trying to force prices up, but I'd say the majority of those cars have been listed since I started looking.

Worse is that there's apparantly a sizeable amount of people buying old Porsche's as "investment" cars. Basically fixing them and locking them away.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

Worse is that there's apparantly a sizeable amount of people buying old Porsche's as "investment" cars. Basically fixing them and locking them away.

Have you seen the prices air cooled cars are going for these days? There are people who think that is going to happen ANY MINUTE NOW with water cooled cars. There's also the thing where people buying water cooled cars to fix and lock away need one to drive, so they're buying 996 turbo's which is what I'm guessing has driven the price up on them over the past year. There are still plenty of them at reasonable prices, they just happen to all be silver and I'm trying to not buy a silver one. I'm even fine with 50k-ish miles provided the price reflects that. Unfortunately most people seem to be hitting the crack pipe pretty hard.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

fknlo posted:

Have you seen the prices air cooled cars are going for these days? There are people who think that is going to happen ANY MINUTE NOW with water cooled cars. There's also the thing where people buying water cooled cars to fix and lock away need one to drive, so they're buying 996 turbo's which is what I'm guessing has driven the price up on them over the past year. There are still plenty of them at reasonable prices, they just happen to all be silver and I'm trying to not buy a silver one. I'm even fine with 50k-ish miles provided the price reflects that. Unfortunately most people seem to be hitting the crack pipe pretty hard.

This is what I don't get considering there are literally THOUSANDS of each version of 911, be it old or "new"-ish.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
I recognize the differences but have you given any thought to looking at a Cayman S? The performance is relative unless you're tracking.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

howling_mad posted:

I recognize the differences but have you given any thought to looking at a Cayman S? The performance is relative unless you're tracking.

If the current gen were in my price range I'd give them more thought. The first gen doesn't really do it for me as far as looks go.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Buy a silver one and pay a couple thousand for an obnoxious colored vinyl wrap?

I really really want need to own a Carrera 4S sometime in the future but current Porsche owners are crazy with their valuations. It looks like the best "value" for buying them is right after the initial depreciation hit before they level off because they'll "totally appreciate in value, just you see" (confirm/deny?)

It just means I'll have to wait longer to afford a newer one :(

And yeah, why does it seem like there's an overabundance of silver cars on the road? It's like the streets are monochrome, barely ever see any fun colors around locally, not only for Porsches but in general as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Don't know about that but silver is the best color for 996's imo