Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

how did a homeless guy resisting arrest turn into a race debate again? I missed something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
hang on, just going to try to take this cop's gun from him but i DO NOT expect to get shot

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Applewhite posted:

The conflation of success with "acting white" is, IMO, one of the most common examples of systemic racism because it essentially alienates Black behavior from success and enforces the subliminal assumption that a Black person cannot be both loyal to his roots and successful at the same time.
The trappings of success: fashion, education, modes of speech, etc... are all branded as "white" things, and Black people who adopt them are seen as somehow inauthentic by both whites and other Blacks.
That is something that needs to change if minorities are to move up in our society. Instead of chiding a Black person for "acting white," in order to get ahead, you should stop and ask yourself why you assume that he must somehow act contrary to his own success in order to "act Black."

most people ive met who've chided me for acting white and not acting black have been white people, hth

it's really not a case of black people holding black people down, moreso white people being uncomfortable with someone acting against a stereotype b/c that's how ya'll neatly rationalize perpetuating a racial hegemony

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Ramsus posted:

hang on, just going to try to take this cop's gun from him but i DO NOT expect to get shot
his ping must have been poo poo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nutranurse posted:

most people ive met who've chided me for acting white and not acting black have been white people, hth

it's really not a case of black people holding black people down, moreso white people being uncomfortable with someone acting against a stereotype b/c that's how ya'll neatly rationalize perpetuating a racial hegemony

you speak so well!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

BossRighteous posted:

how did a homeless guy resisting arrest turn into a race debate again? I missed something

becaus that guys said something about how he is pretty sure the black people he has seen at his job have never had any negative interactions with the police. but i dont know what made him say that.

this case is more of a "how can the police better deal with mentally ill homeless people without shooting them to death when they act up."

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Applewhite posted:

The conflation of success with "acting white" is, IMO, one of the most common examples of systemic racism because it essentially alienates Black behavior from success and enforces the subliminal assumption that a Black person cannot be both loyal to his roots and successful at the same time.
The trappings of success: fashion, education, modes of speech, etc... are all branded as "white" things, and Black people who adopt them are seen as somehow inauthentic by both whites and other Blacks.
That is something that needs to change if minorities are to move up in our society. Instead of chiding a Black person for "acting white," in order to get ahead, you should stop and ask yourself why you assume that he must somehow act contrary to his own success in order to "act Black."

Just kill yourself

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

ArbitraryC posted:

It kind of sucks that the police have taken a pretty hard stance that it's better to kill someone rather than potentially risk their life and the public just sort of accepts this.

sure why not

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

yea way to flip it around on them

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I am a black gay cop, therefore,

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

BossRighteous posted:

I am a black gay cop, therefore,

I give the most beatings. On the job and off the job. :getin:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I think cops should replace their name tags with their gamer tags so we can glean a bit about their personality before engaging/fleeing.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
If you guys actually watch the whole thing they give the black cop so much loving poo poo.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Hobohemian posted:

If you guys actually watch the whole thing they give the black cop so much loving poo poo.

guy keeps his composure pretty well

last video of this type i saw, it sounded like the shooter was gonna throw up

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

huskarl_marx posted:

see what i find absurd about the post is that it presupposes that black people don't already know that black people can come in all sorts of varieties (ofc we do we're loving black and have varied interests that we talk to each other about) and that its the all-knowing white people who truly recognize us for the many differences between one black guy to the next. it's straight up ivory tower bullshit that comes from never actually speaking with black people at length but musing about them among other white folk

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME

nutranurse posted:

I'm going to disagree. I've gotten it from both sides. I think it's just something people say when you live outside the stereotype just a little bit. I've had older black people chide me with that bullshit, It's not a black/white thing. It's how we are seen in current culture. Ours and popular culture. You're not supposed to use big words, or want to talk about science.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nutranurse posted:

huskarl_marx posted:

I meant this primarily as a critique of white attitudes sorry that didn't come across, though I think both cultures will ultimately have to change.

I highly reccomend the books "Losing the Race" and "Winning the Race" by John McWhorter he can say it more eloquently than I can.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I know that when I hire people, deal breakers like race can be often softened by talking and dressing like I do.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Applewhite posted:

I meant this primarily as a critique of white attitudes sorry that didn't come across, though I think both cultures will ultimately have to change.

I highly reccomend the books "Losing the Race" and "Winning the Race" by John McWhorter he can say it more eloquently than I can.

gently caress off and kill yourself tnx

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
i will have double mcwhorterpounder please

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Everyone, especially cops, should beat Furries all the time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

poo poo is weak posted:

Everyone, especially cops, should beat Furries all the time.

Now there's something I think we can all agree on.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

Applewhite posted:

No! You are a Furry and will be beaten!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Applewhite posted:

Now if only we could agree on how racist you are.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Now if only we could agree on how racist you are.

Oh spare me.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Applewhite posted:

Oh spare me.

No, spare us by killing yourself.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

*charlie brown voice* Good Grief

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Oh spare me.

you got white right in your name, its p obvious

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
buncha blockheads itt

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i am glad gbs is becoming what it was again all we need now is 1/2 of the threads to be news rss

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

nutranurse posted:

see what i find absurd about the post is that it presupposes that black people don't already know that black people can come in all sorts of varieties (ofc we do we're loving black and have varied interests that we talk to each other about) and that its the all-knowing white people who truly recognize us for the many differences between one black guy to the next. it's straight up ivory tower bullshit that comes from never actually speaking with black people at length but musing about them among other white folk

lmao stfu bitch

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
literally lolling at the people of every race here making sweeping generalizations about black or white people

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
poor guy, im glad hes dead

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I always spin people on their head when I hear them make a criticism of "black culture" or something when I ask them if the world was flipped upside down and they had to make a choice to act black or be poor would they do it. Nobody was willing to act black to not be poor and yet we somehow expect black people to act white to not be poor.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
That was some close range concrete shooting.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jst0rm posted:

I always spin people on their head when I hear them make a criticism of "black culture" or something when I ask them if the world was flipped upside down and they had to make a choice to act black or be poor would they do it. Nobody was willing to act black to not be poor and yet we somehow expect black people to act white to not be poor.

Pleas invite me to ur next dinner party with the missus

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Darth123123 posted:

Pleas invite me to ur next dinner party with the missus

If you are in LA come on by. Sous vide filets, slightly aged cabernets and cigars with bourbon are a standard saturday night. We can talk smugly about what exactly the blacks need to do to become successful.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

sweet opened up another parking spot thanks cops

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Let's all pray to Saint Dorner for sweet pig death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jst0rm posted:

If you are in LA come on by. Sous vide filets, slightly aged cabernets and cigars with bourbon are a standard saturday night. We can talk smugly about what exactly the blacks need to do to become successful.

Do you have any minority (eg black) friends that can come? I'd like to meet one in a controlled environment.

• Locked thread