Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only system with Games coming out for it is the PS4 it seems.

Wii-U and Xbox One releases are sparse or in limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Excels posted:

Flower is one of the top 3 bestsellers for PS4

Flower is just an amazing game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Everyday I am reminded of the social sting of the bee stigma.

I'm just glad that great whites arn't pocket sized or Brad would be going around showing people that great whites arn't really dangerous.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I've watched someone die from a bee sting. it got him from behind his knee and he died within under a minute.

He only said "I've been stung!" and then just ceased.

the poison hit one of his major veins and/or arteries and worked that quickly.

I would not gently caress around with bees like that even if I don't believe that people were properly tested for allergies. Because real bee allergies will kill people before medical help can arrive.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

brad "the brad" wardell motherfuckers

That is a nice office, but that is one terrible parking job.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Honestly if you're going to park in a handicapped space, go the whole deal and take up multiple handicapped spaces, like 3 or more. It's still the same amount when you get a Ticket, it doesn't matter if you block 1 handicapped space or 5.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm having a real hard time trying to find full scans of DS covers for a bunch of DS games I bought at that crazy cheap gamestop sale.

Nobody has a full scan of Infinite Space at all ever. Same with Ontamarama, Konami New track and Field(it has a metal gear thing in it), Deep Labyrinth, and about a dozen others.

I am starting to wonder if I made the right choice blowing 1500 points on that Majora's mask bag and the Smash brothers posters. I maybe should have gotten that big huge 3Ds/DS case to store loose games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

buy a $2 plastic game case from ebay that holds 20+ 3/DS games

Yeah but I need a cover that will fit so it doesn't look like rear end on my shelf.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

we've seen your shelf. trust me it doesnt matter

I have shown nobody my Nintendo handheld shelf.

I have all my GB/GBC stored in 3DS cases because the old gameboy games fit perfectly in there while the GBA games fit into the regular DS cases.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Colecovision was really good and so was intellivision.

I dunno I bought both Atari Collections and the one Intellivision collection for the PS2 and I was less than pleased.

they all felt like bad NES games.

before the NES we were a Magnavox family, I never played an atari or a colecovision.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I personally liked the vectrex because it was so weird and had a starwar Death Star game (or off brand).

I mean most games before the NES won't hold up and really only SNES games kinda do.

Yeah anything prior to the 16 bit era plays in an incredibly dated way.

I only have around 30 NES games and I really have not been all that interested in expanding my collection because most of the games just are not worth playing. The collector's market also has everything be way up there in price. I wanted to get both NES Zeldas and Final Fantasy just for completions sake but they were commanding higher prices than the Limited Edition gamecube Zelda collection that I already had, and Final Fantasy was more expensive than the PSX re-release.

So I wasn't going to pay far more than i was expecting for games I already own in some form.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Old games are still good and good things do not "age badly" except in very exceptional and specific ways.

I dunno there's poo poo like Phantasy Star's first person dungeon that contains no map or anyway to record such a map in game. The Early Ultima games really don't stand out anymore as well, and the first three final fantasies are not as good as the ones that came later on in the series.

They're incredibly dated at this point because the mechanics were refined by later games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Excels posted:

The question is, are we in the Silver Age of gaming, or more like... the Bronze era? Cuz gaming culture was a lot more interesting like 20 years ago, these days it kinda sucks and most people now think gamers are insane terrorists, thanks Dick Wolf.

Penny Arcade was right, Beware the Dick Wolves.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also I still retain the opinion that The Lost Levels for Super Mario bros. were "lost" for a good reason.

way too much bullshit trick jumps, and if you get a star at certain points in the game it will wind up killing you because some of the jumps require you to bounce on the head of an enemy to gain enough momentum to make it to the next platform. The Star negates this and you just wind up falling to your death.

Also the ending is the exact same as Super Mario bros. 1. Like the People who made this clearly messed up on what made people enjoy the original.

And it turns out that the team who made Doki Doki panic made the engine originally for a mario game before it switched to DDP, which then later switched to Super mario Bros. 2. So SMB2 was the true mario sequel all along.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

It's not like every single game has to be designed for every single person to enjoy. Your average contard probably wouldn't like any game that requires more coordination than a starfish possesses but that doesn't mean all of those games are bad.

I think Maybe the three mario games for the NES might still hold up, but a large large large portion of games from the NES and the consoles that predate it are just very very archaic. Like even the first Metroid game is just kinda....there. It's ok for a Novelty factor but compared to what came later like Super Metroid and Zero Mission it's just not very good.

SNES and Genesis era had their poo poo together better. Like Streets of Rage and Final Fight series hold up better as does Phantasy star 2 and 4, Space harrier, and final fantasies 4,5, and 6, Chrono Trigger and a ton more games.

I mean think of all the NES racing games that are good? The 16 bit era was when the racing genre really could take off. The NES games like Rad racer were incredibly limited.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

codenameFANGIO posted:

Draw the map yourself you wiener.

I'm convinced that Phantasy Star fully funded the Sega Hotline.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
20 years ago MMOs and Gamestop did not even exist.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

How Rude posted:

you're right, we had nintendo and funcland and that was all that mattered

does funcland even exist anymore? rip funcland...

Funco, babbages, Walden Software, and EB were all absorbed into gamestop.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wish they called it Black Souls so I could have listened to nothing but a smooth jazz soundtrack while playing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Depending on what game you count from, they're already almost 25

Well it won an award and was named along side Ultima Online, EQ, and WoW.

I guess MMos are actually much older

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm going to get the ending in Duck Hunt tonight. I have my camera ready.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
On the last 10 loving levels

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

wait, duck hunt has an ending? i thought it just went on and on forever, until ducks escaped and dog laughed at you.
It's called a Kill Screen. You reach the fabled Level 0.

I took pictures, the ducks become untouchable and break up in the air and the dog chain laughs at you.

There's more levels than the ammount of points you can score, so your score gets reset many times if you're going for the kill screen.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 3, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have the Japanese version of 6 just so I can see all the pixel tits.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
loving hell I beat the Original TMNT game for the NES.

on my second try

my hands hurt, the ending was awful.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

what possible reason could anyone have for playing the original TMNT? like, are you going to play color-a-dinosaur next?

I started altering my Universal gamecases so they could fit NES games.

And I realized that I never really did beat these games....so i beat them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm plowing through my NES library, I've beaten around 5 games today. There's a ton of bullshit awful games that I seem to have gotten.

However they require next to no time investment, I beat that terrible NES peter pan game in like a halfhour.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

gay skull posted:

God damnit Taint Reaper we're talking about Final Fantasy right now!!! GOD!!!!

I'm sorry I just really don't care to distinguish between different kinds of terrible games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

*goes back to playing self-admitted garbage NES cartridges, and comparing them in this thread*

No I'm sorry Manhattan Project is not a garbage NES game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Kojima already said that he's going to make tokimeki memorial be the next game.

Because after war, the children are the future. So the players must now play as children and learn how to love, learn how to hate, and learn how to fight. And how to never give up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FactsAreUseless posted:

It takes a really expensive failure like an MMO to sink a company.

How did KOTOR not sink EA?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm still waiting for Nintendo to release a BEST OF NES/SNES compilation because they made NES Remix and later gave it a physical copy. E-shop prices for many of the older games are insanely high for what they are. But like a 30 dollar compilation of all old NES or SNES games would not be bad considering there is jack squat coming out for the Wii-U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have two copies of Earthbound and I have beaten neither.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it looks like any and all good wii-u games for 2015 are going to finally start hitting in Spetember.

loooooooooooooooooooooooong rear end wait since there is nothing to play on the Wii-U until Zelda and Xenoblade.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CyberPingu posted:

QTEs need to die a horrible loving death in gaming, literally ruined so many potentially good games over the last few years.

QTEs have existed since the 1980's

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have now beaten every single 2d mario game ever.

Luigi or mario have not yet endeared themselves to me. I am still very luke-warm/neutral on my feelings towards the bros.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FactsAreUseless posted:

If only Mario and Luigi were given more personality, just like the Super Marcus Brothers from Gears of War 2.

On the TV show Luigi did cross dress as a woman

Maybe I should beat Thousand Year door and Paper Mario 64? Maybe then I could finally understand why people give a gently caress about two guys who just act as vessels, vessel that are only used to complete challenges.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

Seriously, it's making me want to wash my hands every time i read the thread and I hate it!!!

Well good thing that the image is actually soap in the shape of poop and not actual poop.

Subliminal advertising.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Luigi is a stupid piece of poo poo

I think he is, no redeeming qualities.

Seriously people were fawning over kirby in how he acted in his new terrible game, and they did the same poo poo with captain toad.

Yet the Mario bros. are probably the least animated.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Super Luigi U sucked for the long awaited Luigi only game.

• Locked thread