Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Ultramorph Maxxxx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

I want to think that the shortcut is useful somewhere or that there might be a card with both megamorph and morph at some point.

Unfortuantely, I think the real answer is they wanted to use the Morph mechanic in a way in which they'd be able to argue it was actually a different ability rather than "we used Morph again."

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

What do you mean Zurgo is less badass as a Bellstriker? Just imagine this card:

Zurgo Bellstriker - 3R
Legendary Creature - Orc Warrior
Dash 2R
T: Tap target creature and put a Bell Strike counter on it. It doesn't untap during it's controller's upkeep as long as it has a Bell Strike counter on it and gains "6: Untap this creature."
3/3

I would play the poo poo out of this card.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 2, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

apistat posted:

Is this going to be a cycle of brood-specific enchantments (and the end of the Ascendancy/Siege/x megacycle), or just the general representation of the DRAGONSTORMS :black101:?

Is there a reason this doesn't say "creatures you control with flying have haste"? It's going to be annoying explaining to people that when they turn their manifested dragon face up, it doesn't gain haste.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a reason this doesn't say "creatures you control with flying have haste"? It's going to be annoying explaining to people that when they turn their manifested dragon face up, it doesn't gain haste.

Flying can be removed so I imagine this template avoids layering / timing issues, especially with stuff like archetype of flying giving.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

What do you mean Zurgo is less badass as a Bellstriker? Just imagine this card:

Zurgo Bellstriker - 3R
Legendary Creature - Ogre Warrior
Dash 2R
T: Tap target creature and put a Bell Strike counter on it. It doesn't untap during it's controller's upkeep as long as it has a Bell Strike counter on it and gains "6: Untap this creature."
3/3

I would play the poo poo out of this card.

Psssst. Zurgo is an Orc.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

The bird of paradise has to zoom in through the tempest to have haste obviously. It's like a boost pad in a kart racing game.

What happens if you have this card and Wonder in your graveyard with the necessary island?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

odiv posted:

Oh, I wasn't nitpicking, just pointing out an important difference. I'd actually prefer it synergize well with Manifest, but that probably broke something in testing.

Seems ok to me. You have a choice between flipping it up for the (presumably cheaper) mana cost or paying a premium to "megamorph" it and get the extra counter. Seems to create more interesting choices that way.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

Well. If something is manifested or morphed, 9 times out of 10, it is going to be a turn or two before you flip it, anyway. It is only wierd corner cases where you Soul Summons a dragon face down with 6 more mana available and this already on the field. :shrug:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BJPaskoff posted:

Because Hushwing Gryff don't give a gently caress.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Spiderdrake posted:

The bird of paradise has to zoom in through the tempest to have haste obviously. It's like a boost pad in a kart racing game.

What happens if you have this card and Wonder in your graveyard with the necessary island?

Creatures you play would gain flying in time to get haste from the triggered ability.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/days-future-future-fate-reforged-2015-02-27
Whenever they post FFL decklists I always wonder how much it's warped by things having different stats or mana costs or what have you in development. Some of their lists just look obviously weird. A UB control deck that runs Temporal Tresspass and Worst Fears but only 2 Dig Through Time?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/days-future-future-fate-reforged-2015-02-27
Whenever they post FFL decklists I always wonder how much it's warped by things having different stats or mana costs or what have you in development. Some of their lists just look obviously weird. A UB control deck that runs Temporal Tresspass and Worst Fears but only 2 Dig Through Time?

I think its just the perils of having a "league" which is basically like 10 guys. The choices they make are all influenced by their own internal meta and there's no real way to get a fresh take other than playing the same dudes.

Its interesting to see them though since some of them include cards that never made it to print - Gavin's UB Control list is running Cruel Edict, which hasn't actually been printed since Tenth Edition.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 2, 2015

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
BJPaskoff, if you could add the EDH thread to the OP that would be super great:

M:tG Commander Thread: My definition of fun is objectively better than yours
Discussion and decklists for the 100 card singleton format featuring a legendary general.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So they had Cruel Edict and cut it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So they had Cruel Edict and cut it?

There's a note that it says it was cut, which makes me sad since I like Edict effects a lot. I imagine it was cut to let stuff like the Heroic cards have a chance (since Cruel Edict would basically eliminate the Heroic decks from existing). Its possible they thought it ran too much into Merciless Executioner.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

There's a note that it says it was cut, which makes me sad since I like Edict effects a lot. I imagine it was cut to let stuff like the Heroic cards have a chance (since Cruel Edict would basically eliminate the Heroic decks from existing). Its possible they thought it ran too much into Merciless Executioner.

My guess is that it actually turned into Merciless Executioner.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Edict probably got replaced by the Flashbag Marauder reprint.

It's interesting that they apparently are able to make some pretty good guesses at the rough outlines of what the top archetypes will be, they just get a lot of fundamental stuff wrong in their builds. Which is fine. I mean, they're not trying to predict the exact pro tour lists, they just want to have some idea of what the format is going to look like and if any particular cards or strategies are just too good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
every new card will be good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
every new card will be bad

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
some of the cards will be good, some of them bad

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
there, I can point to one of those 3 posts and go I told you so in 3 weeks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Solemn wasn't in m11.

This is the 12th edition of the thread, isn't it?

I guess I forgot M12 is technically the 13th coreset

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

every new card will be bad

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

some of the cards will be good, some of them bad

This is hosed up and not true.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Edict probably got replaced by the Flashbag Marauder reprint.

It's interesting that they apparently are able to make some pretty good guesses at the rough outlines of what the top archetypes will be, they just get a lot of fundamental stuff wrong in their builds. Which is fine. I mean, they're not trying to predict the exact pro tour lists, they just want to have some idea of what the format is going to look like and if any particular cards or strategies are just too good.

I like hearing the FFL stories they tell and things that caused cards to get cut from the set. That was how Warleader's Helix ended up in DGM - the card was a Lightning Helix reprint, and then everyone in the FFL started running UWR with Helix and Snapcaster Mage and then they said, "let's not print this." They already had the card art ready to go, so they designed a less playable version last minute that would be able to use Lightning Helix art, but not be Lightning Helix.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

some of the cards will be good, some of them strictly better

ftfy

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

I'm extremely disappointed with megamorph. I was really hoping they would create a keyword like:

Boltguy 1R
Sorcery
Boltguy deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Keyword R (you can play this as a morph for 3, then cast it at any time for R).

It's just so meh.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I think the new Sisidi will be good.

In commander. Not sure about standard or draft yet.

Edit: also, I was hoping the next morph mechanic would be morph that would trigger depending on game state, ie "if you lost five or more life this turn, flip this card face up" or something like that.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 2, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

some of the cards will be good, miniature flags for others

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

For instance, Atarka (featured in one of their decks) was meant to cost 6 instead of 7 according to one of the R&D videos.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Its supposed to say "miniature Jeskai banners for others."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there, I can point to one of those 3 posts and go I told you so in 3 weeks

im predicting the entire set is just a series of reminder cards that spell out Bear Sterns Bravo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

This is hosed up and not true.

:twisted:

Angry Grimace posted:

I like hearing the FFL stories they tell and things that caused cards to get cut from the set. That was how Warleader's Helix ended up in DGM - the card was a Lightning Helix reprint, and then everyone in the FFL started running UWR with Helix and Snapcaster Mage and then they said, "let's not print this." They already had the card art ready to go, so they designed a less playable version last minute that would be able to use Lightning Helix art, but not be Lightning Helix.

I'm alright with that one, Helix is an absurd card

then again, imagine that W/R standard Burn deck that had Boros Charm with Helix *I whisper "the value" as tears start streaming from my eyes*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fiend Computer posted:

I think the new Sisidi will be good.

In commander. Not sure about standard or draft yet.

Edit: also, I was hoping the next morph mechanic would be morph that would trigger depending on game state, ie "if you lost five or more life this turn, flip this card face up" or something like that.

It will be very good in draft.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

That U/B control deck has Cruel Edict in it...just pointing it out, deffo not saying it's gonna get reprinted in Dragons or anything...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

That U/B control deck has Cruel Edict in it...just pointing it out, deffo not saying it's gonna get reprinted in Dragons or anything...

It says right underneath the decklist that Cruel Edict was originally in Fate Reforged but got cut.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I look forward to seeing what is done with Exploit, but I'm curious about why it is templated as it is, with the ability explained on it's own, with no inherent upside, then a condition printed separately. Going by things like Battalion, I would have expected something like:

quote:

Exploit - When Sidisi, Undead Vizier enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, you may search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

I notice that there is no condition that you sac another creature, so if you want a 5CMC Diabolic Tutor you got it. It's going to be a case of the effects provided, and if any good death triggers come around. Maybe Athreos's time to shine?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

It says right underneath the decklist that Cruel Edict was originally in Fate Reforged but got cut.

Oh wow, I did not notice that, how unfortunate. Edicts are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I like that it's EtB and not "when you cast". Potentially good possibilities incoming for Whip and Alesha.

• Locked thread