Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why is Athreos still 10 bucks when it hasn't show up in any competitive deck anywhere? Is it an EDH thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I look forward to seeing what is done with Exploit, but I'm curious about why it is templated as it is, with the ability explained on it's own, with no inherent upside, then a condition printed separately. Going by things like Battalion, I would have expected something like:

I notice that there is no condition that you sac another creature, so if you want a 5CMC Diabolic Tutor you got it. It's going to be a case of the effects provided, and if any good death triggers come around. Maybe Athreos's time to shine?

It will never be Athreos' s time to shine

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Entropic posted:

Why is Athreos still 10 bucks when it hasn't show up in any competitive deck anywhere? Is it an EDH thing?

Even the unplayable multi color gods are like $10. I think they're popular casual cards.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Probably Tiny Leaders, too.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The way exploit is worded, it seems like it's two separate triggers. If you remove the exploit creature in response to the first trigger, can you still get the second trigger for the exploit effect?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

It's always an EDH thing.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Even the unplayable multi color gods are like $10. I think they're popular casual cards.

Karametra and Ephara are like $1, and Kruphix is like $2.50. The rest are like $5 except Keranos who see's actual play and is $10-12.

Athreos is just a weird outlier.

I wish my Karametra and Kruphix were worth $10. :negative:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Athreos is still 10$ just because enough people bought them for $25 at release and don't want to admit they were wrong.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Price memory is a thing, yeah. And plus Athreos looks really awesome when you read him, so you keep thinking he's gonna do it this time guys, it's his time to shine!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

I think Athreos is still 10$ just because enough people bought them for $25 at release and don't want to admit they were wrong.

Xenagod was like $17 at release wasn't he? Athreos is used in edh and tiny leaders is probably helping his price stay propped up.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The way exploit is worded, it seems like it's two separate triggers. If you remove the exploit creature in response to the first trigger, can you still get the second trigger for the exploit effect?

If Sidisi is removed in response to the exploit triggered ability, you still have the option of sacrificing a creature, but Sidisi's second ability won't trigger.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

If they kill the creatures in response to the Exploit trigger on the stack, you won't get the effect, but you will get to choose whether or not to sacrifice. If they remove the creature after the 1st trigger resolves but with the 2nd trigger on the stack, you get the effect.

I can see an edge case where a player might want to do something between the two triggers, depending on what creature gets sacrificed.

I guess if there's a really good Exploit card in the set that's Legacy playable, a card like Stifle would be a huge blowout.

qbert fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 2, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Which begs the question of why it's formated that way. It seems very "feel bad" and unintuitive for the unsuspecting caster.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Which begs the question of why it's formated that way. It seems very "feel bad" and unintuitive for the unsuspecting caster.

Also another question. I didn't realize Exploit allowed you to sacrifice the creature you just cast. Will the 2nd triggered ability even go on the stack if you choose to say, cast Sidisi and then sac it to its own Exploit trigger?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

qbert posted:

Also another question. I didn't realize Exploit allowed you to sacrifice the creature you just cast. Will the 2nd triggered ability even go on the stack if you choose to say, cast Sidisi and then sac it to its own Exploit trigger?

It will. According to Gottlieb:"yes, she can exploit herself"

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Rinkles posted:

There may be cards that trigger whenever you exploit anything, and those technically wouldn't work under the rules if it were only an ability word and not a keyword.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

qbert posted:

Yes, it works the same way as an ability like "When ~ dies, . . . ."

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

It will. According to Gottlieb:"yes, she can exploit herself"

Wow, that makes Exploit even more powerful than I thought.

New Sidisi is gonna be sweet.

I hope there's enough good Exploit cards for some kind of Sultai Exploit deck with Prophet of Kruphix.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ok, so here's a serious question: how did Silumgar, a 3/7, kill Tasigur, a 4/5? Even if Silumgar was attacking and Tasigur gained flying he couldn't get the job done. 0/5 flavor. Nice try Wizards.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

bhsman posted:

Probably Tiny Leaders, too.

It's this. He's CMC 3 which only a few gods are (Thassa as well and someone else) and BW is good in TL.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did he even do it on camera? I thought he just wore him Leia style til he died of natural causes.

Which must have sucked when he was flying around.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

suicidesteve posted:

Ok, so here's a serious question: how did Silumgar, a 3/7, kill Tasigur, a 4/5? Even if Silumgar was attacking and Tasigur gained flying he couldn't get the job done. 0/5 flavor. Nice try Wizards.

Silumgar attacked with four of his dragon friends.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Spiderdrake posted:

Did he even do it on camera? I thought he just wore him Leia style til he died of natural causes.

Which must have sucked when he was flying around.

I wonder if he's zombified to some extent, otherwise wouldn't he just be a skeleton by now?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's too bad that they're almost certainly not going to combine brood mechanics, a creature with dash and exploit would've been sweet.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

No, Tasigur is a 1/1. His throne is a 3/4. The throne is what you are delving for (Or purchasing with mana money).
Besides, Tasigur's story aside, Silumgar never killed him. He just Owns him... Owned? Tasigur is bling

In other news I really hate that Silumgar's body got smaller after getting 1200 years older. Aren't dragons supposed to get strictly more powerful with age?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Silumgar appears to have gotten considerably fatter. That's why he doesn't have hexproof anymore, he's so loving fat.

Gonna start calling him Silumguru now. That's how old I am!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

No, Tasigur is a 1/1. His throne is a 3/4. The throne is what you are delving for (Or purchasing with mana money).
Besides, Tasigur's story aside, Silumgar never killed him. He just Owns him... Owned? Tasigur is bling

In other news I really hate that Silumgar's body got smaller after getting 1200 years older. Aren't dragons supposed to get strictly more powerful with age?

C'mon didn't you watch DBZ? Frieza's final form is way smaller than his second and third forms.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Spiderdrake posted:

Silumgar appears to have gotten considerably fatter. That's why he doesn't have hexproof anymore, he's so loving fat.

Gonna start calling him Silumguru now. That's how old I am!

But he had a bigger butt in the past!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

C'mon didn't you watch DBZ? Frieza's final form is way smaller than his second and third forms.

This checks out, Kid Buu is smaller then Majin buu as well.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Doub Beyer explains why they used the type 'Elder.'

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All the creatures will be overpowered, and by that I mean one or two of them might be playable in modern.

Entropic posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/days-future-future-fate-reforged-2015-02-27
Whenever they post FFL decklists I always wonder how much it's warped by things having different stats or mana costs or what have you in development. Some of their lists just look obviously weird. A UB control deck that runs Temporal Tresspass and Worst Fears but only 2 Dig Through Time?
I suspect Temporal Trespass was heavily nerfed after it was realized how crazy TC and DTT were in eternal formats. I mean it's a 5 mana effect (Time Warp) for 11 including 3 coloured, while Treasure Cruise is a 4 mana effect (Concentrate) for 8 with only one coloured.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Didn't one of the Fate Reforged articles straight up say that Temporal Trespass used to be like 10U or something and was changed in response to Cruise doing what it did.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A big flaming stink posted:

It will never be Athreos' s time to shine

Its just a dumb tax card. You just pay the 3 life if they're trying to recur Merciless Executioner, or anything else even vaguely good.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 3, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

forbidden lesbian posted:

This checks out, Kid Buu is smaller then Majin buu as well.

Kid Buu was also weaker than all the other forms of Buu. He was just the most dangerous because he was the most insane and had no mental blocks on his power.
[/DBZDerail]

Tasiguuur! TASIGUUUUUUUUR!
What is it Lord Silumgar?
I have a bitch of an itch on my left rear end cheek! Scratch it for me!
Uh...goddamnit...

[/DBZADerail]

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I suspect Temporal Trespass was heavily nerfed after it was realized how crazy TC and DTT were in eternal formats. I mean it's a 5 mana effect (Time Warp) for 11 including 3 coloured, while Treasure Cruise is a 4 mana effect (Concentrate) for 8 with only one coloured.

FRF was 100% out development's hands by the time KTK premiered in the real world, based on what they've said about the process in the past.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
So, rules question. If I cast final fortune, can I sundial the "you lose the game" part of it away? How about stifle? One of my friends has a stiflenaught deck and is planning on putting FF in and wanted to make sure. It doesn't seem like it should since it's a spell effect, but the good folks at MTGS tell him it's a delayed trigger.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

FRF was 100% out development's hands by the time KTK premiered in the real world, based on what they've said about the process in the past.

I'm pretty sure the issue is that development over-values extra turns. Time Warp is not a busted card.

Yawgmoth posted:

So, rules question. If I cast final fortune, can I sundial the "you lose the game" part of it away? How about stifle? One of my friends has a stiflenaught deck and is planning on putting FF in and wanted to make sure. It doesn't seem like it should since it's a spell effect, but the good folks at MTGS tell him it's a delayed trigger.

Its a delayed trigger. I'm not sure why you couldn't Stifle it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 3, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Sundial works with final fortune.

The timing for the delayed trigger on Final Fortune specifies the extra turn's end of turn step which if properly played is skipped with Sundial.

Ninja edit: stifle works whoops!!

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 3, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

qbert posted:

I hope there's enough good Exploit cards for some kind of Sultai Exploit deck with Prophet of Kruphix.

I am ready and willing for new format all-stars Jeskai Sage, Sultai Emissary, and Dictate of Erebos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Both work; the spell creates a delayed triggered ability.

• Locked thread