Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Bonster posted:

Just need a good bin of flesh-eating beetles. Clean those suckers in a jiffy.

FYI they apparently have a weird smell, so it's best to keep them out in a heated shed or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Shearing Day open house is over so I had a minute to take baby pictures for you! My camera battery died though so I missed a few of them.

Bunny!

Baby goats

Why your ears so silly, cormo?

This dude is still a dork.

Seriously the other dude is so much better than him.

So much better (so I took a ton of picture of him).

"Come on dweeb let's go"

Silly CVM face.

One of Jazz's girls.

And the other one.

And little shrimpy.

The end.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
DANG IT! Why can't I touch those adorable critters through my screen! Thank you for the adorable pictures InstantJellyfish! ADORABLE!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Alice plotting some new trouble.

Guys there's two buckets of food you don't all have to crowd that one...

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 13, 2015

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Suspect Bucket posted:

Guys there's two buckets of food you don't all have to crowd that one...

Clearly they're looking for the special prize inside.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
As promised, these are the socks that I made from Roving Acres wool! The yarn is fantastic to work with, and I love the color!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Awesome! Those look great! Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm still trucking along with this year's shearing. I'm finally done with goats so I just have the last of the rams and the rest of the jacobs to finish, plus another 7 sheep at a neighbor's farm. Then next week is spring cleaning which involves renting a skid loader and completely clearing out the entire barn. It's a gross job but it's better to get it done before it's super hot and there are a million flies around.

Mar 25, 2004

Sooooooooo I'll just leave this right here....

http://youtu.be/qfxUt9UM0nc

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hihi! Anyone have any updates? Need more farm babies!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sure thing!

Romeldales are still a matched pair of giant beefy lambs.

The babby goats are wild and wooly and gorgeous.

Three of the jacob boys I'm going to grow out for the winter probably in the hopes that they will end up breeding quality.

Some people on the jacob group were disappointed that Twofer had no balls so maybe if Mini-Two turns out nice they will want him despite his slipped eye patch.

This guy is currently my favorite.

But his brother is nice too. Much more fine boned and deerlike. They're still just babies though so it will be a while before I make any decisions about them.

The girls are all growing like weeds too but I'm not going to keep back any Win babies so I'm trying not to get attached.

Big beef is still more of a holstein than a cormo.

And Crooky isn't crooked at all anymore. He is super whiny and codependent with his mom and they both have the most grating baas so I think weaning next month is going to make me want to die.

I need to trim down the baby buns for the first time today so I'll try to get some pictures of them too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well he didnt want to leave Mom the first time, so he certainly won't want to now :haw:.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
look at those handsome ships and goots :3:

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Ugh, they're all so gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your babbies with us!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Babies? I got babies.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Babies? I got babies.

Bunnies are not yet fluffy, I call shenanigans.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Babies? I got babies.

Baby naked mole rats? Why are you breeding naked mole rats??

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

ahahaha LOL I needed a good belly laugh!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yay! Thanks, Jellyfish! Can't wait to see those bunnies, too. :kimchi:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

Everything on the fluffy farm must serve it's ultimate purpose (except the dogs and repitles)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

lol enjoy your byb naked mole rats and the thousands in vet bills :)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My bunnies are way fluffier, although slightly less fluffy than they were.

Gala, who didn't get a pre-haircut photo

Cameo before

Cameo after

Baby Braeburn before

And after his very first trim. He was very well behaved, even when I had to tattoo his ear and it was a little ouchie

The 3 white ones are getting shaved down this week so everyone will be nice and cool for the summer and I can have yarn made in time for fall shows.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

lol enjoy your byb naked mole rats and the thousands in vet bills :)

:lol: if you think I'm gonna pay more than $75 in vet bills. I'll just take my bb gun outside with'em.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
More animals please :kiddo:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh I forgot to upload my white rabbit shearing pics so I'll have to do that later. For now have an updated picture of Isadore, the new jacob ram I'm bringing home in 2 weeks. The guy I'm getting him from has had two other breeders contact him wanting to buy Isadore if the deal with me falls through. Too bad bitches, I called dibs before he was even born.

He has a heart on his butt.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Did thirteen goat's worth of hooves this morning, five of them our new rescues who hadn't been handled much. The new guys actually lived on very hard-packed earth and pine forest, so their hooves were worn quite nicely and only needed a bit of trim. A pleasant change from the likes of Red the Swampfooted. And of course, I snipped my thumb on the last goat. Not too deep, but it's gonna hurt for a few days.

The new girls are Clark, Hal, Linda, Joanna, and Nichole. The others are Cinderella, Maleficent, Red Riding Hood, Rose Red, and Alice. And the mini's, Shira, Dolly, and Horace. Then there's Gruff, who's a sweetheart (big guy I put up a picture of before) that I can't do unless we ACE him, because he's not gonna fit his ginormous head in the milk stand.Oh, and Bow and Peep the Florida Hair Sheep. I need to do them next week, when we have help to catch and sit on them.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Did thirteen goat's worth of hooves this morning, five of them our new rescues who hadn't been handled much. The new guys actually lived on very hard-packed earth and pine forest, so their hooves were worn quite nicely and only needed a bit of trim. A pleasant change from the likes of Red the Swampfooted. And of course, I snipped my thumb on the last goat. Not too deep, but it's gonna hurt for a few days.

The new girls are Clark, Hal, Linda, Joanna, and Nichole. The others are Cinderella, Maleficent, Red Riding Hood, Rose Red, and Alice. And the mini's, Shira, Dolly, and Horace. Then there's Gruff, who's a sweetheart (big guy I put up a picture of before) that I can't do unless we ACE him, because he's not gonna fit his ginormous head in the milk stand.Oh, and Bow and Peep the Florida Hair Sheep. I need to do them next week, when we have help to catch and sit on them.

are you able to provide photos of the adorable goats! pretty please? Keep your wound clean, of course you already know that. The names you have for the critters are fun!

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Instant Jellyfish posted:

(Shaved bunny photos)

IJ, I read in a bunch of places that you're supposed to comb out loose hair on angora rabbits, and not cut/shave them. I don't even know why--something about fiber length. I think because non-uniform fiber lengths don't spin together well? You know more about fiber collection than most. Any clue why so many people advocate for combing? Have you had any problems with the snip method?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

snakecharmer posted:

IJ, I read in a bunch of places that you're supposed to comb out loose hair on angora rabbits, and not cut/shave them. I don't even know why--something about fiber length. I think because non-uniform fiber lengths don't spin together well? You know more about fiber collection than most. Any clue why so many people advocate for combing? Have you had any problems with the snip method?

Brushing out the fur does give you more uniform fiber length and fewer guard hairs which results in a superior finished product. When the fibers are all different lengths you have more loss when you spin it and also more bits that stick out weirdly and it just isn't as smooth and gorgeous. That being said I could brush those buns for days and not get all the fiber off of them. It stressed them out and it hurts my wrists so I find it much easier to use scissors or my dog clippers. Also when they're at the point where their coat is ready to be brushed out they end up eating a lot of it and getting wool block so I like to get it off as quickly as possible. In the winter I mostly scissor cut them because it leaves more fur on so they'll stay nice and warm but it is the most uneven way of trimming them, in the summer I clip them down so they stay cool and it's a bit more even. My angora almost all gets mixed in with wool and commercially processed into roving though so I'm ok with a certain amount of loss and the guard hairs aren't a big deal.

Here is Artie. This is actually after I had spent an hour or so brushing him earlier.

And all shaved down.

And here is baby Tango after getting a scissor trim. You can see how uneven it is and how much is left on him. The babies' fur is too fine and dense to cut with the clippers.

Here is some pencil roving we had made out of Goliath's wool and Cameo and Gala's angora. It's from a mill we hadn't used before and they put nepps in it (the little lint balls of fleece caused by not combing it out right) but it should still spin up nicely.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Those tufts of fur on the end of Artie's ears are just too cute :swoon:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

New sheep day! His breeder was going to the yearly annual general meeting in Wisconsin so I met him off the freeway and only had to drive 45 minutes instead of 7 hours to pick the new boy up. Meet Unzicker Isadore.

He was not thrilled with riding in my hatchback and made sure I knew it the whole way home. (Yes his tongue is spotty :3: )

He is even more handsome in person than I thought he was going to be judging by the pictures I was sent and I'm thrilled he's here. Here's his pedigree.

Levi was Dennis' dad and pretty much all of those lines go back to Puddleduck Gabriel within a few generations. Puddleduck was one of the first farms to import jacob sheep from British Columbia back in the 70s and their sheep are still gorgeous and primitive. I can't find any pictures of Gabe because he was born in 1989 but he has 32 registered offspring, the last one being born in 2000, so he must have been a grand old ram.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Welcome to your new home, Isadore!!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh and I came across this interesting article on sheep domestication that mentions jacobs. Their genetic markers are different than other British sheep breeds and link them to sheep from SW Asia and Africa. Cool stuff!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Oh and I came across this interesting article on sheep domestication that mentions jacobs. Their genetic markers are different than other British sheep breeds and link them to sheep from SW Asia and Africa. Cool stuff!

Unzicker Isadore is wicked handsome! I hope that he fits well with the flock.

That article is fantastic! This is going to make its way into my Intro to Archaeology class in the fall. I'm a food anthropologist who deals with living people, but I'm interested in how we ended up eating the things we eat. I read an article that used similar techniques to track the history of cow domestication and how it coincided with the rise of lactose tolerance in northern Europe.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

luloo123 posted:

Unzicker Isadore is wicked handsome! I hope that he fits well with the flock.

That article is fantastic! This is going to make its way into my Intro to Archaeology class in the fall. I'm a food anthropologist who deals with living people, but I'm interested in how we ended up eating the things we eat. I read an article that used similar techniques to track the history of cow domestication and how it coincided with the rise of lactose tolerance in northern Europe.

Luloo, that is so cool! I remember how surprised I was when I found out that milk used to be a seasonal food item (show on PBS I saw). Anyway, I don't drink the stuff but I do love the ice cream.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
More animals please :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm actually on vacation :toot:

But here are some goats I saw at the Pittsburgh Zoo today because I'm the type of person who leaves my animals to go see even more animals.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What's new this week, Jellyfish!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My mom is representing the farm at Stitches Midwest this weekend which is a huge show and involved a lot of prep work. I am staying home and caring for the creatures so I took some pictures for you all.

Major with Ginger's baby

I think I'm naming her Garnet

Angela's baby is basically a muppet. She still needs a name that starts with A because I'm trying to match kid names to dam names with the goats since they don't have a theme like the sheep.

She'll be sheared next month if she can wait that long before turning into a big matted mess

Isadore is all settled in and gorgeous. I'm really happy with him so far and it's going to be hard waiting until March/April to see what the lambs he produces are like.

He likes to do his own thing so usually I just see this in the distance when the other boys are over for pats.

I was thinking of keeping back one of Juniper's boys but I'm starting to have some doubts about their horn development. We will see how things work out as they grow.

This dude's bottom horns are too far back and his top ones are too far forward right now.

This one's right side is closer together than the left and may eventually become fused.

The dark horse, Mini-Twofer, is looking amazing though.

I'm hoping to find the cormo wethers nice fiber pet homes, I'm not sure if anyone is going to want one with horns though. Not everyone is as accepting of horns as I am!

This guy is still such a dweeb. I just want to give him a wedgie.

The broken jawed lamb is still weirdly codependent on his mom at almost 4 months old. I tried to wean them last month and they all broke out again so I'm trying again next week. I'm not looking forward to the screaming.

Jazz's little spotty knee girl is becoming one of my favorites :3:

I decided not to keep any of Win's lambs in case they carry his defect that caused all those dead lambs so I'm trying not to get attached to them. These are Aster's easter lambs.

In the background of this one is Thistle who came back to me with her two sons after her new owner gave her grain every time she baa-ed and then got sick of the baaing.

They've all been perfectly well behaved here where they learned real quick that yelling doesn't get you anything and you should probably just shut up and graze.

No pictures of the romeldales because they are serious sheep who were busy grazing and had no time for pictures. Last weekend I sheared for someone (ughhh august shearing) and they took lots of pictures so I'll see if I can share those with you too.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 6, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Major and Ginger's baby

When I initially read that, I read "the baby Major and Ginger had" and got sort of :stare: until I realized it was "Major and also Ginger's baby is there too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I have edited the post to reflect the lack of dog/goat hybrids on my farm :ninja:

• Locked thread