Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Renzuko posted:

You say your goats look goofy, but they all have ears, DEE on the otherhand...

OH yes, you are talking about Superconsndar's goat Dio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

[quote="Instant Jellyfish" post="442903948"]
I finished fixing up fences today so the unbred girls at least could go out and enjoy the sun. I think they were happy about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqvVAw8w1Cg

LOVE that video. Wish I could be happy in the moment like that (sigh). Thanks for the video InstantJellyfish!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

yay, The Birthing begins!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hey Angela and Ginger, birth them babies! pretty please Have some healthy babby goats :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Haji posted:

I just watched the adorable baby goat video and then the next video autoloaded and I just about died from the cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6INNx8V7q4
How on earth can you withstand the pure adorableness? How has your head not exploded from too many feels?

:agreed:

I think I watched the new baby video about 20 times. Then watched the other videos that appeared in the play list. Thank you InstantJellyfish!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Done. Excuse the cormos having a tantrum in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoYwM2nfQPU

OHMYGOD, they are just adorable! You mentioned earlier thinking one of the females had 'stolen' the baby only to find out it was her own. Is that something that happens often. A female stealing the baby of another?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Ms. Moose! gee whiz! That was a lotta baby weight in there! All your little ones are just too freakin' cute InstantJellyfish. Again, thank you for sharing. I swear, the best thing to cure a bad day is to look at those baby farm critters. Love to hear the background bleats too :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I think it's great you don't mind educating us. So many people out there want to start their Hobby Farms and never consider the hazards of in-breeding and all that other stuff. They really should be taught this stuff you tell us about so they keep the breeds strong and healthy. Thank YOU InstantJellyfish!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the new pictures and video InstantJellyfish! So dang adorable!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

InstantJellyfish, congratulations! They are just adorable! If I could I would sit outside among the critters all day! Thank you for sharing those wonderful photos!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Superconsndar posted:

Omg I LOVE Eclair's baby. Stuff him in a box and send him to ME. :love:

Superconsndar you have some absolute cuties too! The baby piglets gonna be meat pigs?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Tears happen. I remember Mr. Layton, big burly farmer neighbor guy. His favorite roosters were killed by a neighbor's loose dog. I had never seen a grown man weep like that. Felt so bad for him. He was out there picking up the feathers.... it was so sad.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I used to work with an artist who used a variety of animal skulls in his pieces of art/sculpture. Gorgeous stuff, it's been so long ago.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

DANG IT! Why can't I touch those adorable critters through my screen! Thank you for the adorable pictures InstantJellyfish! ADORABLE!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

Baby naked mole rats? Why are you breeding naked mole rats??

ahahaha LOL I needed a good belly laugh!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Did thirteen goat's worth of hooves this morning, five of them our new rescues who hadn't been handled much. The new guys actually lived on very hard-packed earth and pine forest, so their hooves were worn quite nicely and only needed a bit of trim. A pleasant change from the likes of Red the Swampfooted. And of course, I snipped my thumb on the last goat. Not too deep, but it's gonna hurt for a few days.

The new girls are Clark, Hal, Linda, Joanna, and Nichole. The others are Cinderella, Maleficent, Red Riding Hood, Rose Red, and Alice. And the mini's, Shira, Dolly, and Horace. Then there's Gruff, who's a sweetheart (big guy I put up a picture of before) that I can't do unless we ACE him, because he's not gonna fit his ginormous head in the milk stand.Oh, and Bow and Peep the Florida Hair Sheep. I need to do them next week, when we have help to catch and sit on them.

are you able to provide photos of the adorable goats! pretty please? Keep your wound clean, of course you already know that. The names you have for the critters are fun!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Those tufts of fur on the end of Artie's ears are just too cute :swoon:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

luloo123 posted:

Unzicker Isadore is wicked handsome! I hope that he fits well with the flock.

That article is fantastic! This is going to make its way into my Intro to Archaeology class in the fall. I'm a food anthropologist who deals with living people, but I'm interested in how we ended up eating the things we eat. I read an article that used similar techniques to track the history of cow domestication and how it coincided with the rise of lactose tolerance in northern Europe.

Luloo, that is so cool! I remember how surprised I was when I found out that milk used to be a seasonal food item (show on PBS I saw). Anyway, I don't drink the stuff but I do love the ice cream.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for sharing that video! The critters are all so adorable!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

It was a sad, sad week here. Fall is coming on faster than I'd like to think about so babby rams needed to be weaned and sent to live with the big boys before they started getting ideas about their moms and sisters. Even though they are all 3-4 months old and most of the moms are really over nursing them, the boys are acting like its the end of the world. I also re-castrated a few of the boys with the new ritchey nippers I splurged on because my old burdizzos were a huge pain to use and ended up missing testicles.

All the babies got ear tags too because I forgot to do them earlier. The tags have an official USDA number that link them back to my farm and an individual farm id number that tells me what year they were born, who their sire was, and what number baby they were for the year. So the big white romeldale is 15G01 because it's 2015, his dad is Goliath and he was the very first lamb born here. Also each breed has a different color so the romeldales are fuchsia, the cormos are powder blue and the jacobs are green. The goats get tattooed instead of tagged because they are constantly getting their heads through things and tear tags out too easily. Boys get left ear tags, girls get right ear tags. I actually know all my sheep personally by sight and don't really need tags for id but it's good if I'm selling them or if someone else needs to handle my sheep for whatever reason.

I'm also trying to plan breeding groups and when I'm getting that started. I've been reading weather predictions and they're saying this el nino is going to cause the winter to be relatively warm and not have much snow so I might want to gamble on having lambs early, starting the beginning of march instead of mid-march to early april. Decisions, decisions.

Finally, have a video of sad, sad lambs and their dumb teen boy voices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQceTekicz8

Alright, I admit it...I watched this video five times The plaintive wailing was endearing and hilarious! The goat at the end of the video looking in that direction was funny! Thank you for sharing your critters with us!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

LOL I think I got it, the last item listed on that poster ahahahahaha!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the new pictures IJ! They all look just fabulous. Rex and Health, WOW! I don't think I've seen them 'before' they do the scent stuff! Thank you for sharing! :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thanks so much for the new photos! I always get a huge grin when you have photos of the critters in the back of your vehicle hee hee heeee! Your new fella is very handsome!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I always get people tailgating me when I have ships in the back and I start to get pissy then realize they just want to see the sheep. Today a little girl was cracking up about him behind me :3:

I really need to get a car magnet or something with the farm website and "yes that's a sheep" on it for how often I drive them around in the hatchback. It works out really well and is way easier/cheaper than taking the pickup.

I would probably be one of those people if I lived close enough. I would even skip a few exits just to look and smile at the sight of sheep in the back of a vehicle :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Superconsndar posted:

We just had a litter of kunekunes born last Monday. :3:

This is their mom's first litter and she did very well; I fed everyone dinner that night, and she was acting completely normal, and I went back out to check on her two hours later and she had 6 clean, happy, nursing babies with her like it was no biggie. She's being a great mom. There are 3 gilts and 3 boars. :3:

congratulations! They sure are cutie pies :) little spotted one, gilt or boar?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Instant Jellyfish, Heath and Rex are Angora Goats? The Pygora Goats are pretty cute too!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Goats and Sheep are awesome! Even better with hats on! Thank you for that link! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

AsYouWish posted:

ty :3: they FINE pigs

Thank you for sharing your critters with us! Looking forward to additional pictures :)

• Locked thread