Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

NickRoweFillea posted:

im still laughing at the fact that jbl said "im starting to believe" in regards to roman reigns at the end of the show

One step closer to the only thing I want to see Roman Reigns doing on my TV: a tag team with Bo Dallas called Bolieve Dat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tezzor posted:

Bryan is the only competitor who can credibly beat Brock Lesnar and he never will
I dunno, though I understand in the vision of the match story this is true. I think Rollins or Ambrose could credibly beat him, though in Rollins' case he'd probably need some kind of chickenshit tactical backup like the Big Show shoving Lesnar over, and Ambrose would probably have to get bloody to represent how his rampant mental illness is giving him power. I have literally not been watching long enough to see Randy Orton in action but maybe him too.

I actually could buy Rusev doing it too.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

im still laughing at the fact that jbl said "im starting to believe" in regards to roman reigns at the end of the show

They have no idea how to get the crowd behind Reigns. So they went from powerhouse chosen one to underdog.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
IC title situation is pretty great and I am excited for a record-breaking R-truth IC reign

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Nessus posted:

I dunno, though I understand in the vision of the match story this is true. I think Rollins or Ambrose could credibly beat him, though in Rollins' case he'd probably need some kind of chickenshit tactical backup like the Big Show shoving Lesnar over, and Ambrose would probably have to get bloody to represent how his rampant mental illness is giving him power. I have literally not been watching long enough to see Randy Orton in action but maybe him too.

I actually could buy Rusev doing it too.
Cena got murderkilled mutliple times by Lesnar, Orton would be lucky if he didn't have to do a stretcher job.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

NutritiousSnack posted:

They have no idea how to get the crowd behind Reigns. So they went from powerhouse chosen one to underdog.

It's really hilarious how spastic his push has been from silent badass to Sylvester the Cat jokes to least believable underdog ever. Good thing :vince: strayed from his perfect first characterization thinking he could make it better and failed miserably.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Weird that they didn't do something with Goldust/Stardust

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

sticklefifer posted:

I haven't watched Raw yet, but looking at the match times it seems they still can't book anything longer than a 3-4 minute undercard match. It seems more like a variety show at this point, and I don't know what that does for their biggest show of the year. I don't know, I've already been skimming through lately but after watching so much good wrestling this week alone I'm having trouble generating any interest in Raw Is Segments.
Raw is always heavier on promos come Mania time as they try to actually promote matches, a thing that they don't do the other 11 months of the year. Frankly, I'd rather watch three hours of good promos that actually build feuds than three hours of pointless seven minute matches that accomplish nothing. Of course, it would be fabulous if they actually booked a well-balanced show filled with both good matches and good promos. Oh well.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Walrus Pete posted:

Seriously. I'm still baffled that they made the switch to a three-hour show. Jon Stewart was really good tonight though.

Money makes the world go round, Vince was offered so much money he'd be a fool to turn it down for the extra hour.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

GrimGypsy posted:

Weird that they didn't do something with Goldust/Stardust

Stardust's world needed him so he went home.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

Stardust's world needed him so he went home.

Can Roman's planet need him too?

That was the best raw in a long time. I really like how the IC belt is something that a lot of people want. The only downside to it is that Barrett is looking like a chump, but it's elevating a lot of other guys to his level. Is Bryan for sure gonna be in that one? The angle is super entertaining, lots of talented guys, some comedy, and everyone wants the loving belt for a change.

Also I just rewatched the Heyman promo. loving hell. Every time I think he's gotten as good as he's gonna get he goes out and is somehow even better. It's unreal the level he's working at.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AlmightyPants posted:

Can Roman's planet need him too?

That was the best raw in a long time. I really like how the IC belt is something that a lot of people want. The only downside to it is that Barrett is looking like a chump, but it's elevating a lot of other guys to his level. Is Bryan for sure gonna be in that one? The angle is super entertaining, lots of talented guys, some comedy, and everyone wants the loving belt for a change.

Also I just rewatched the Heyman promo. loving hell. Every time I think he's gotten as good as he's gonna get he goes out and is somehow even better. It's unreal the level he's working at.

Elevating guys to his level? The geek who constantly gets his belt stolen and loses all the time? Some elevation.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If anything is getting elevated it's the feud itself thanks to everyone involved embracing the silliness. That match could end up stealing the show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tezzor posted:

Bryan is the only competitor who can credibly beat Brock Lesnar and he never will

The only way Bryan could credibly beat Brock is to have Brock arrested for murder after he tore Bryan in half.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People genuinely think that Bryan could face Brock and have the match look credible? Wow.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Aurain posted:

People genuinely think that Bryan could face Brock and have the match look credible? Wow.

You're right. Might as well put Reigns in there lmbo

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Wrestlemania Main Event is going to be really good.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

MassRafTer posted:

Elevating guys to his level? The geek who constantly gets his belt stolen and loses all the time? Some elevation.

I meant to change that when I wrote it but forgot. It is elevating the belt though, suddenly it's something that a lot of guys want all of a sudden. There's always talk about so-and-so holding the belt elevating it, but it turns out that if everyone wants the belt then it's important too! And actually, that probably makes it more important! It is an object of desire worth fighting for. The only person involved in it who I can't see winning at all is Ziggler because he keeps pissing off the office. Everyone else has a credible shot at winning the drat thing. Even Barrett - he could retain and then lose it the next night to a debuting Neville or Zayn and the crowd would go absolutely crazy for it. It's unbelievable to me that they're giving a good half-dozen guys an angle that actually makes them and the belt all look better.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Aurain posted:

Look at this fucker who never saw Brock v Eddie and Eddie wasn't half as good as Bryan.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Lid posted:

Look at this fucker who never saw Brock v Eddie and Eddie wasn't half as good as Bryan.

What.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was a really good Raw, and that Heyman promo was out-of-this-world great, holy poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lid posted:

Hey now, let's not say things we'll regret in the morning. I'd argue that Bryan's better, but twice as good? Having said that, I'd also happily entertain arguments that Eddie was better.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
While three hours has been a bad move from a creative standpoint, how has it been for WWE and USA Network from a business standpoint?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
To be fair, when Eddie beat Brock Brock was just 'big new star and bully heel', not 'unstoppable machine of flesh and destruction who broke the Undertaker's Streak and utterly stomped a hole in the most protected champion maybe in history.' Eddie was the underdog, but nowhere near the kind of underdog Bryan would have been.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lid posted:

Good wrestling =/= credible looks. There's no one on that roster who you look at and think "Yeah, they could fight Lesnar".

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man, reading the recap makes me sad I missed raw for the first time in a long time.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I fell asleep during the last commercial. Did Reigns continue to get booed at the end?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was kinda hoping the requisite annual female HOF inductee would've been Elizabeth this year since Savage is finally in this year too. Alundra Blayze is a pretty cool entry though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That was the first Raw I almost stuck with the whole time. It was a fun show overall!

Watched the main event this morning. Sure, pin the new golden boy who is supposed to main event Mania, why not right? We're just having fun out here Maggle!

I would love to know if they're trying to kill Orton's heat or what. He could have been such an awesome fired up babyface on his return, trying to get through Seth's bodyguards to get at him.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Aurain posted:

Good wrestling =/= credible looks. There's no one on that roster who you look at and think "Yeah, they could fight Lesnar".

The Big Show! He's big! And a show!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be fair, when Eddie beat Brock Brock was just 'big new star and bully heel', not 'unstoppable machine of flesh and destruction who broke the Undertaker's Streak and utterly stomped a hole in the most protected champion maybe in history.' Eddie was the underdog, but nowhere near the kind of underdog Bryan would have been.

Brock's first run featured him making war paint out of the carcass of Hulk Hogan, beating the Rock in a Mach built around who was the better athlete, murdering Taker in the Cell, and superplexing Big Show through the ring. Brock has always been a monster.

Come to think of it, he might be the first guy since Hogan who exclusively worked in the main event his entire WWE run.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aurain posted:

It happened with CM Punk. Bryan looks a lot better than Punk, too.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Last night I really thought Bryan hosed up his neck and arm again on that half-nelson suplex, especially falling flat on his face on the powerbomb reversal and the one-armed yessing. I actually can't really tell if that was just selling or not.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Cromulent posted:

Last night I really thought Bryan hosed up his neck and arm again on that half-nelson suplex, especially falling flat on his face on the powerbomb reversal and the one-armed yessing. I actually can't really tell if that was just selling or not.

Bryan, Ziggler, and surprisingly Lesnar make me :ohdear: everytime they take a bump with how well they sell.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CobiWann posted:

While three hours has been a bad move from a creative standpoint, how has it been for WWE and USA Network from a business standpoint?

USA really wanted three hours because of the money it makes from an additional hour of WWE ad buys instead of NCIS rerun ad buys, which it then sends to WWE in the form of their TV deal.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sticklefifer posted:

I was kinda hoping the requisite annual female HOF inductee would've been Elizabeth this year since Savage is finally in this year too. Alundra Blayze is a pretty cool entry though.

Can't have too many dead people in one HoF ceremony.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I really want to see Brock vs. Bryan because I feel like they would work it like a longer version of Kimo vs. Royce from UFC 3.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Red posted:

Can't have too many dead people in one HoF ceremony.

Rather I doubt Elizabeth's family wouldn't have been too keen on her going in at the same time as Savage given the way he abused her.

EDIT: Along those lines, what is Luger's relationship with WWE? He's never mentioned in the slightest. I don't recall even seeing him in all the Sting recaps they've been doing.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 3, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Orgophlax posted:

EDIT: Along those lines, what is Luger's relationship with WWE? He's never mentioned in the slightest. I don't recall even seeing him in all the Sting recaps they've been doing.

He was a special trainer/wellness advisor for WWE.

I get the feeling it was a handout from Vince because Luger is physically wasted after his stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

AlmightyPants posted:

I meant to change that when I wrote it but forgot. It is elevating the belt though, suddenly it's something that a lot of guys want all of a sudden. There's always talk about so-and-so holding the belt elevating it, but it turns out that if everyone wants the belt then it's important too! And actually, that probably makes it more important! It is an object of desire worth fighting for. The only person involved in it who I can't see winning at all is Ziggler because he keeps pissing off the office. Everyone else has a credible shot at winning the drat thing. Even Barrett - he could retain and then lose it the next night to a debuting Neville or Zayn and the crowd would go absolutely crazy for it. It's unbelievable to me that they're giving a good half-dozen guys an angle that actually makes them and the belt all look better.

having a bunch of losers going after the loser belt doesn't scream legitimacy to me. the mania match will probably be pretty great though.

• Locked thread