Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maggie Delano discusses the crushing assumption of heterosexual fertility planning written into the very code of period tracking apps. A participant in the Quantified Self movement (described here by the wonderful Whitney Erin Boesel), Delano articulates for us the often-hidden, unique needs of women who are infertile or partnered with women, trans men and those not sexually active. I felt keenly her frustration at the way period trackers can never be 'neutral' or customisable outside of certain prescribed limitations, which have nothing to do with usability and everything to do with cultural expectations.

quote:

Yeah I had this issue recently. I wanted some software for tracking a medical condition which caused lack of periods - and every single app on the Android store was pink, flowery, and very focused on a presumed audience of women wanting to become pregnant.

In the end I did find an app more aimed at tracking data generally that I was able to use. It doesn't have the best looking interface but it does the job. It's called My Logs Pro.

quote:

Seriously look at all of the icons that come back from this search. INFURIATING.

edit: http://www.metafilter.com/147509/How-period-trackers-presume-impose-heterosexuality-fertility-feminity

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Christ lady, buy a loving stopwatch if you want a tracker that doesnt actually have the features of a tracker?

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
I track my period with my day planner. Sure, I have to wait for the blood to dry when I smear it on each appropriate page, but I don't think everything needs to be digital.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

It gets bad when your wife, children, girlfriend and neighbor all cycle the same

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

write one yourself then dingus.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
"Maggie"

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

BKPR posted:

write one yourself then dingus.

girls only program games

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

fill the gap in the market with your turgid throbbing business acumen.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i too am angry when i do not identify with a product

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Cyclebeads is bland as poo poo and one of the first ones that pops up in the android store wtf lady.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I use an app called a calendar

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
ha you read this on metafilter.

metafilter is for fags

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
my logs pro - an app i use to take pictures of my poo poo and categorize them

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

tracking my period of jizzing and full-on-dilzing is too difficult. that's why i use myjizznesspal.com

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!
Market does not provide product tailored to my exact specifications .

Market is biased against me.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

YoungSexualNorton posted:

my logs pro - an app i use to take pictures of my poo poo and categorize them

Bristol stool chart I presume

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
wait, so women need hi-tech software just to deal with their gross and constantly oozing bodies? weird.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
hmm why not use social injustice as a disguise for my personal entitlement issues and hurt feelings

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Jesus.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I once had almost the opposite thing, a young woman approached me to design an app for her, got me to sign an NDA before revealing her idea. It was a blood alcohol tracker targeted at breastfeeding mothers. I downloaded a bunch of existing blood alcohol trackers and came up with something that was more functional and simpler to use than any of them, but no, she wanted something exactly the same as the app she already had, but pink, and with the option to choose a gender removed.

Caring about the appearance of a tool more than the functionality really just reinforces a whole bunch of old stereotypes about women being stupid.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
MtF trans people don't have periods I'm p sure

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Is that person also outraged at how flowery and feminine the branding for most female hygiene products are? Someone invent a camo / skull print tampon right away!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Goth pads. Black cotton on slightly darker black backing, the box has a bunch of skulls and lace/spikes, and there's a prominent picture of a hunky pale vampire licking blood from his bottom lip

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
OP can you link to the article you're talking about? I want to make sure I'm reading this right.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
my pro logs

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
We demand a period tracker with the raw practicality of an IBM iSeries AS/400

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
If I was a woman id just kill myslef

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Sentient Data posted:

Goth pads. Black cotton on slightly darker black backing, the box has a bunch of skulls and lace/spikes, and there's a prominent picture of a hunky pale vampire licking blood from his bottom lip

Imagine all the black dye that would rub off and stain all those labias.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

Imagine all the black dye that would rub off and stain all those labias.

ok 1 sec. ok done

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I, too, was annoyed that all of the apps were pink and flowery. Then I saw the next app down on the list and it wasn't and was also highly customizable so maybe she could have kept scrolling an inch?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Period tracking should be done on the fridge. Maybe a shared Google Calendar so I know when I can requalify for my red wings and when I should put in for some overtime at work/ find other reasons to avoid going home to a sitcom harpy.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
why hasnt modern medicine fixed this bleeding vaginas thing

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Darkman Fanpage posted:

why hasnt modern medicine fixed this bleeding vaginas thing

they have it's called not being cis scum

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 288 days!)

so this is like a real screamtracker huh? :newlol:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

fyodor posted:

they have it's called not being cis scum

or running pill packets together

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of wish normies had to be constantly reminded of the fact that some people (like me, I'm super special and unique) can't just come to grips with the fact that they aren't normies and learn to love themselves for who they are.

I know! Let's take over Tumblr, whatever the hell that is.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I use an app called a calendar

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm programming a period tracker for trans women right now. It's just a blank screen, but it's pink

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
there it's ->.
it is there^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

why in the hell would you use a period tracker unless you were either trying to get pregnant or trying not to get pregnant

edit: forgot that not all women are smart and hygienic enough to use panty liners every day

• Locked thread