Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

horton hears a snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
My data is huge, enormous too.... iykwim

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that dude is one of the major assholes on hacker news btw

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

fritz posted:

isn't that everyone?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fritz posted:

in that he has an account there?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DimpledChad posted:

hopefully it will SPARK some discussion.

spark is a hilarious XMPP client. from wha ti can tell it's been stuck at the same busted version for over two years, where the second-latest version is actually the better version to use. it also likes to crap out randomly and basically require you to blow away the local profile data.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

spark is a hilarious XMPP client. from wha ti can tell it's been stuck at the same busted version for over two years, where the second-latest version is actually the better version to use. it also likes to crap out randomly and basically require you to blow away the local profile data.

is that by chance and open source project? ? ? ? ?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh my goodness it IS!! :vince:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I respect hodapp quite a bit because the author named it after a plush elephant toy and then named the proserv firm for it "Hortonworks" after another fictional elephant

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

i can't type "hadoop" without typing "hadpoop" and then deleting the extra p

hth op

You think you have problems typing "hadoop"

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

You think you have problems typing "hadoop"

hodor

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
okay thread: sklearn vs. r vs. mahout vs. mllib vs. h20 vs openCV. go! also other ones i'm forgetting.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DimpledChad posted:

okay thread: sklearn vs. r vs. mahout vs. mllib vs. h20 vs openCV. go! also other ones i'm forgetting.

nobody cares, lets smoke a joint in the back

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol oldjob used spark and it was godawful

i think the windows client depends on java 1.6 or something

and i could get messages.app to connect to the spark server with plain old xmpp but never accept contact requests or other poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody cares, lets smoke a joint in the back

that's h420

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BIG DATA

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

mishaq posted:

lol oldjob used spark and it was godawful

i think the windows client depends on java 1.6 or something

and i could get messages.app to connect to the spark server with plain old xmpp but never accept contact requests or other poo poo

you should use Microsoft™ Lync® Communicator 2013 and have a lovely half baked solution that integrates seamfully with Exchange©

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

hadoop is a haboob

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

you should use Microsoft™ Lync® Communicator 2013 and have a lovely half baked solution that integrates seamfully with Exchange©

i introduced the dev team to hipchat and everyone started using it the second i told everyone about it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hipchat kinda sucks though

i don't understand how making an im client is so hard

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

mishaq posted:

hipchat kinda sucks though

i don't understand how making an im client is so hard

aim was so good it would stay running when win9x explorer crashed behind it. lync promptly shits itself when someone sneezes in the direction of my vpn line. progress.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i still use aim but ive noticed its only people in their late 20s who are left :kiddo:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hipchats been pissin us the f off past few days and we are really really on the cusp of going to slack

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i am deep in brent spinner right now, op

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

hipchats been pissin us the f off past few days and we are really really on the cusp of going to slack

some guy on Twitter told me "scaling's a bitch" which is sexist and welp maybe it's that kind of attitude which makes it hard!

figure out how to make your poo poo eventually-consistent and shart it, duh

pram
Jun 10, 2001
how loving hard can scaling duplex text be

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

how loving hard can scaling duplex text be

it's not, irc has done it for decades without any revenue

if you want it to be resistant to net splits you probably have to use a consensus protocol to bounce clients off of minority partitions, and shipping each chat line with a vector clock like thing of previous lines would keep non-sequiturs to a minimum (istr a decent Facebook engineering post or paper about how they do this with comments on things)

edit: may be something in the reference graph for http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/socc12-explicit.pdf

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 5, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to be fair, once you hit a certain rate of scaling you start having to look at just taking over entire dc's at a time. seeing how fast my company grows and roughly napkin mathing twitter's data needs relative to ours i could absolutely see them needing to work on that level. and then you need the circuits to back those up

i mean twitters loving huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

to be fair, once you hit a certain rate of scaling you start having to look at just taking over entire dc's at a time. seeing how fast my company grows and roughly napkin mathing twitter's data needs relative to ours i could absolutely see them needing to work on that level. and then you need the circuits to back those up

i mean twitters loving huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

with hip hat and slack and other business chat apps (lifetime campfire crew) you get sharting as a feature: Cocoa crispies dot hip chat has zero interaction with jonny290 dot hip chat

pram
Jun 10, 2001
were not talking anything much more complicated than a tcp packet here

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
this is what I was looking for and why doing chat Right is more complicated than a TCP packet: http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2610533

pram
Jun 10, 2001
phone companies managed to establish a global namespace w/ reliable international switching in the 70s. this is bullshit pure and simple. these chat companies need to man the gently caress up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

phone companies managed to establish a global namespace w/ reliable international switching in the 70s. this is bullshit pure and simple. these chat companies need to man the gently caress up

preach brotha

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

agreedo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

but maybe not though

would reliability be worth the more than $5/user-month or w/e that the price point seems to be?

how do you market that, or if you don't charge more, who pays for the increased variable costs?

reliability tends to increase linearly while costs increase quadratically

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
or is it each extra nine multiplies costs by ten

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
four nines is a challenge for all but the biggest companies. five is ridiiiiiculous

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

isnt hipchat like an internal im application? even if you work somewhere enormous the load from that should be trivial enough for like a pentium 2 shitbox to handle

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

four nines is a challenge for all but the biggest companies. five is ridiiiiiculous

Got stuck in a four-hour (thankfully conference call so I could play games) meeting once listening to some grey beard who works for a telecom you've heard of rant and rave about how their startup-style internal project can't possiby be reliable in every scenario, like what if the Internet goes down or something

well for one thing they're not gonna be using this dumb app lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
all this garbage is resting on the backs of giants *pulls suspenders and strokes beard* god.

these weak, pathetic companies like twitter. loving morons with their ironic mustaches, macbooks with trendy stickers. maintained with love!! haha! real, hard men designed the switches these little pansies now complain isn't allowing enough 'consistency.' ahhh if i still had my pdp-11

• Locked thread