Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
A quick update - I'm still working on the next video, but things have been slow recently due to a number of health issues, or a single health issue. I still don't know which. I've been dealing with the odd side effects of corticosteroids, which are no fun, and then I suddenly became much more nearsighted than I'm accustomed to, which is quite a feat. My vision has been fairly stable for a long time, and I just got new glasses a few months ago. And when I say suddenly, I mean I went out for dinner and just couldn't see properly on my way home. I thought it was another side effect, but when it didn't clear up on its own, I went back to my doctor and discovered that I'm diabetic on top of everything else. That probably answers a lot more questions than I knew to ask. Now that I've got medication and some idea of how I'll need to adjust my diet, things should be getting under control soon, but I've been trying to avoid tying myself down to looking at anything for a long period so my eyes don't adjust to their new focal parameters. I want to do another editing pass on this video, because the Lungfishopolis part might be a bit longer than it needs to be, but I don't think much commentary will be required. Hopefully, I can get it done this weekend if my eyesight recovers soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Hey, no big deal on the videos man, personal health comes first. I remember when I got the news that I was almost, but not quite diabetic. It's a hard thing to hear but with some changes in lifestyle it can be easily managed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No worries Nidoking, best to concentrate on your health first!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Don't worry, you are not Van Gough. No one expects you to go mad for your lps :P. Good luck dealing, my brother has a mild (medicated) depression that often caused panic attacks. I've seen how people can be effected.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, I hope everyone who celebrates Thanksgiving had a good one. Mine was interesting because there were a lot more options in my game of "What foods can I eat that won't make me sick?" than on a typical night. I'm sure I'm not the only person who ate more salad than turkey (and I'm pretty sure turkey is okay, but I don't know about the gravy), and my glucose meter has adjusted my "healthy range" upward fifty points because I keep registering so high. I'm not sure that's how that works. I'm also not sure how some of the random ambient dialogue works, because there should have been a lot more of it than what's in the video. I was also having some problems with the controller button mapping, but that may just be that the game didn't expect me to have Clairvoyance this early and rebelled when I tried to use it. I may have another run through this section later just to see whether I can find anything worth capturing for the next video. I'm not at the computer with my to-do list, so I can't really tell you what's been crossed off this time, but it's probably nothing conclusive yet. And to be honest, there's a lot in here already. Boyd alone could probably be worth twenty minutes, and I'm sure there's at least one line I really wanted to hear, but never did. At least Confusion is nice and predictable.

Bonus 3: Why am I recording this game? Polsy Youtube

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
According to the wiki, Linda sees you as a fellow lungfish since that is all she knows and presumably all she understands. The Oysters are supposed to see you as a pearl when you use Clairvoyance on them while the little lungfish in Lungfishopolis view Raz as a monster.

Also the Avatar line you were thinking was "My cabbages!"

On that note, I love the G-men and how goofy they are.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 29, 2015

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

According to the wiki, Linda sees you as a fellow lungfish since that is all she knows and presumably all she understands. The Oysters are supposed to see you as a pearl when you use Clairvoyance on them while the little lungfish in Lungfishopolis view Raz as a monster.

Also the Avatar line you were thinking was "My cabbages!"

I'll try the clams again, but I couldn't target them or interact with them in any way as far as I could tell.

I know the line was cabbages, but it was a mattress factory. I had to improvise.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

So they're actually attempting to crowd-fund Psychonauts 2. I'm pessimistic about their chances, but it would be great if they can pull it off and make the game. And it will probably not have any of the stuff I talked about over the end credits.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Please do not give money to Tim Schafer after... pretty much all the proof that he can't manage money. Also don't give Tim Schafer money on the funding website he's on the board of directors for.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Onmi posted:

Please do not give money to Tim Schafer after... pretty much all the proof that he can't manage money. Also don't give Tim Schafer money on the funding website he's on the board of directors for.

That's why I'm honestly pretty pessimistic about their chances at being funded, too. I'm afraid that particular well of good will has dried up by now.
I hope they get funded, anyway, because I really don't want Psychonauts 2 to be the sacrificial lamb, but at the same time I'm certainly not giving them my money. :(

Best case scenario I suppose is that Psychonauts 2 raises enough on not-Kickstarter that an actual publisher takes notice and funds the game while also keeping a tight reign on Tim's pursestrings.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
He's already at a million now so I dont think the good is gone yet.

Why does Tim get that lucky when indivisible had to fight tooth and nail for funding?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

JesterOfAmerica posted:

He's already at a million now so I dont think the good is gone yet.

Why does Tim get that lucky when indivisible had to fight tooth and nail for funding?

Because it wasn't Psychonauts 2.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Was the Indivisible campaign announced in the middle of an awards show?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am sorry, but I do not remember he should not be trusted with that kind of money. Could anyone remind me?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Recently they released Spacebase DF-9, which so far as I've heard was first published in Early Access and subsequently was left unfinished. At this point Double Fine is putting no money into the project and has left things up to the fans to correct. (To their credit, Double Fine did release the source code.) For the company that originally made Psychonauts, it's rather sloppy. But for the company that made Brütal Legend, it's somewhat more expected.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am sorry, but I do not remember he should not be trusted with that kind of money. Could anyone remind me?

The main one was Broken Age. DF Kickstarted an adventure game, and ended up getting more than they asked for. Tim then said, "Hey guys: let's... make it... BIGGERRRR!" The scope of the game ballooned to twice what was originally planned. About halfway through development, they ran out of money, and went back for a second dip. Both halves of the game came out eventually, but things were touch-and-go for a while, and that's not really a position I'd want to be in as a backer.

Tim, bless his heart, is a wonderfully unique creative mind, but he doesn't have a great track record so far when it comes to reigning in his dreams to a reasonable level. I wish him the greatest of luck in making Psychonauts 2, but I think I'll hold off on financially investing myself into what will probably be a stressful situation.

The whole thing has given me a little more appreciation for the place of publishers in this world, though. Sure, sometimes they're the fuddy-duddies who won't let you go to a concert with your friends because they don't like rock music rock music didn't focus-test well among test audiences, but other times they're the ones that stop you from trying to dive into the pool from a second-story window.

Or, in SpaceBase DF-9's case, threaten to ground you if you don't finish your schoolwork.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
was Massive Chalice's kickstarter particularly good or bad?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

FicusArt posted:

was Massive Chalice's kickstarter particularly good or bad?

It came and went pretty uneventfully as far as I recall. However, that project was directed by Brad Muir, not Schafer himself.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Meanwhile, Sony will apparently give whatever money they care to, for their VR device to have a game anyone cares about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIZFYaakuHE

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

dijon du jour posted:

The main one was Broken Age. DF Kickstarted an adventure game, and ended up getting more than they asked for. Tim then said, "Hey guys: let's... make it... BIGGERRRR!" The scope of the game ballooned to twice what was originally planned. About halfway through development, they ran out of money, and went back for a second dip. Both halves of the game came out eventually, but things were touch-and-go for a while, and that's not really a position I'd want to be in as a backer.
Sorry, but the part I bolded sounds like you implying they launched a second kickstarter to finish the game, which isn't a thing that actually happened. They put more of their own money into the project and struck a deal with a publisher to distribute the game on disc in Germany. As a backer I was never worried about the game actually being released thanks to the regular documentary episodes.

Spacebase was a lot worse, and handled very poorly. They should have cut their losses and just taken the whole thing down, instead of continuing to sell an unfinished game attached to a feature list that is never going to be implemented.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Howdy, friends! Update time. Obviously, I haven't posted anything for a while, and I haven't been working on new videos either. Instead, I finally made the investment in a new computer that has the potential to make my recording and editing work easier, and I'm writing this post from that. Now I'll need to reinstall Steam, all of the recording and editing programs, and drivers for my capture equipment, and hope the save files can just be copied over, and then there's that whole Christmas doo-lally to get through, but I've got the week between the holidays pretty free to do nothing but work on the LP, so that's the plan. Also, for all of you out there with the Steam version, don't forget to visit the Camp Store on Friday and buy something.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, the new computer has been a boon in quite a few ways, including the ability to process 1080p video without grinding to a halt, so in honor of that and certainly not because I neglected to check my options on the new installation of Steam (although I copied my old Steam folder directly, so it should have kept the resolution settings), the remainder of the LP will be in glorious 1080p. I know some people have been complaining about video quality, and it's probably uncomfortable for all of you camping outside my house with just those torches for warmth, now that the first snow of the season has fallen. Speaking of mobs with torches, the sequel has been fully funded, and there are still a couple of days to throw money at it if you want to. There's an investment option where instead of the traditional crowdfunding T-shirts and free copies of the game and so on, you just get a cut of the future profits of the game, if that strikes your fancy and you have enough money to get in on the ground floor of that. I think it's a pretty high bar. So are the bars in Black Velvetopia that let you avoid El Odio, as I discovered while recording this next part. I was going to finish the rest of the game in a single video, but I kept forgetting to do things and going back to record them and edit them in, and in the end, if I didn't cut it in half, this just wasn't going to get finished at all. The other half will hopefully be along as soon as I can put together the LP credits and do the commentary and stuff.

Bonus 4: Girls are much tougher than wrestlers Polsy Youtube

Items crossed off to-do list from last time:
Idle animation in Milla's mind and others - think I've covered this as well as it needs to be
More lungfish citizen cries? Lots of good lines got interrupted - they just seem to be really shy when I'm recording
Clairvoyance on planes, ships - meh, doubt it does anything
More dialogue regarding the tank? Confusion, inability to damage it, etc. - got most of this, not concerned with one line I didn't get
More Boyd lines - stuff about his father, etc. - I think I got enough. The one I really wanted to capture was this, but I'm not going to sit around for hours waiting for him to say it.

Items crossed off to-do list in this video:
More G-men lines, if there's anything good
Try to get past the sniper by hiding behind G-men
Alternate way of getting past Rainbow Squirt to enter the house - shoot her (sort of, I'm just bad at it)
Milkman Conspiracy without G-Men
Talk to the St. Bernard after using the painting?
Invisibility at Dragon and Eagle
Announcer hints for Tiger and Dragon
Confusion on bulldog while he's painting
Throw the Psycho-Portal at a camper? - I'll cover the last character we haven't tried in the finale video

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

This is it, everyone. The final video. The end of the LP. The last bit of Psychonauts I'm willing to put forth the effort to show off, at least until the sequel comes out in a few years and I've played it enough to feel comfortable trying to do the same sort of thing with it - I'm sure there will be a ton of content that will take a concerted effort by a lot of people to find, just like in this one. I hope everyone's had a good time watching the LP, and that you've enjoyed the experience whether you knew the game back to front or were coming in fresh. I like to think I've enjoyed Psychonauts in just about every way possible by now, but I don't think that's true. There's more to see than even I know about, and it never gets dull watching people play it. (No kidding - I even watched DSP play through it when I was too sick to do anything else. I don't recommend that, but it's there.) My life has changed a lot while I've done this LP, mostly just in the way that lives change whenever you do something for a long time, but I've been learning a lot about myself, about other people, about how I interact with other people, and about all kinds of medical conditions. My birthday's coming up soon, and I actually kind of feel like celebrating it this year instead of just letting it be a thing that happens. I've had fun at family get-togethers. I'm buying specialty cookware now, like a quesadilla maker. It makes nothing but quesadillas. (And stuff like pizza pockets that I couldn't really eat anyway.) I'm trying to branch out into new things in most aspects of my life in a way that seemed almost impossible when I started this LP. How much of that might be because of this LP, I have no idea, but everything we do influences us, and everything we do to or for other people influences them. It's all connected. And that's pretty amazing. Life is pretty cool if you think about it. And if you don't think about it, maybe you should. There's more to life than love, money, and big guns.

Bonus 5: Raz, the ultimate stud Polsy Youtube

The final to-do list:
Low-rank runthrough - plot block messages (The one about invisibility was the last)
Show the musket and coin to the first soldier and the musket to the second
Show the note and coin to the knight
Clairvoyance in Waterloo World in general
More cow dialogue?
Clairvoyance and Confusion in Meat Circus

Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to the list while recording and editing, so I have a few repeats from the LP in this last video. I think it's still handy for context. I have no plans to go through the game and record all of Ford Cruller's hints, which you can hear by using the bacon repeatedly - I think there's an achievement for listening to them all (the hint just says "Use the bacon - a lot"), but I don't want to record and edit a complete playthrough for just that. Sethur covered all of those messages in standalone bonus videos for his LP, and they're almost all just blatant descriptions of what I did in the videos. If you want to check that out, here's a handy link to the LP, and remember to click the big red banner to find the archived videos. I also don't plan to showcase the concept art from the "primal memories" that unlock for getting all the baggage - that's one of those things I feel you should play the game yourself for if you want to see it. It's also screenshotted in Sethur's LP if you want to see it that way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the LP of this rather interesting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If anyone who stuck with this LP until the end wants to follow me to my next project, I'm doing the Gobliiins series over here, with special guest Leavemywife trying to navigate the game's puzzles just for a true taste of how off-the-wall they are, although I'm also doing a set of videos in my usual style for the traditionalists. That's a wrap for this thread, and I'll hopefully get around to sending it to baldurk soon rather than sitting on it like I usually do. Thanks for reading!

• Locked thread