Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
llllllllll
Jan 2, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
someone explain to me what the xfl was and why it didn't take off. ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open container
Sep 16, 2008
regular football was already violent enough i think

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Too expensive to produce, it had lovely WWF style gimmicks and storylines, and the quality of the football itself, while not terrible, was not great either.

If you're more interested, the book Long Bomb was fairly entertaining and goes into the whole thing pretty indepth

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

it was awesome:

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTDtVopmHBc

edit: the dude above me gets it

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
ahead of its time imo

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The worst teams in the NFL are already atrocious to watch. Now imagine watching football played by people who are so lovely that they can't even make those teams.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

All the poo poo you ever wanted to know about the XFL

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
This article is a pretty good summary:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58829/good-honest-football-re-watching-xfl

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
attracted crowds that were not family friendly, increased violence lead to increased injuries, the pro-wrestling cross made it feel fake, all the best players were already playing in the NFL

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The XFL was create by god to test your faith in him and you failed, OP. You failed god.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the NY/NJ Hitmen

sharing a team is lame

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

maybe it was that dude who like broke an arm or whatever during the football scramble they did to start the game

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The difference between the NFL and the XFL is the difference between a Taco and a Doritos© Locos Taco.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
mostly because Vince Mcmahon is actually a lunatic who just lucked into success i think

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it was good. on the first play ever (two guys run and try to grab the ball first) a dude separated his shoulder. lol.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

would be better if they just made regular NFL more violent instead

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

xfl was basically mandingo fighting

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Cheerleaders didn't have needed stripper poles

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Los Angeles Xtreme

Memphis Maniax

lol they had a team in Birmingham, cant even get an actual city

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Because it was supposed to be rollerball but pussied out.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

bushleague

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
retards that watch WWE cannot understand american football rules and variations of such

they are the ones at NFL games that are too drunk to get in and/or getting arrested.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

And I thought regular football was dumb.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
http://www.spike.com/video-clips/3ok2ky/xba-xtreme-basketball-association

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

naw dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ouXw328WYI

Gus Johnson was at one point relegated to calling slamball lmao

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lol i forgot about slamball

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
BTW Goons looking for a name change could do worse than any of the nicknames from the video.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

SHARTING BEAR posted:

naw dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ouXw328WYI

Gus Johnson was at one point relegated to calling slamball lmao

it's beautiful :staredog:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Can't imagine the kinds of things the guys playing slamball needed to sign for safety reasons

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I mean I literally can't conceive what legal documents might be like I'm having a stroke

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Because it was a parody of a sport that's already violent for the sake of being violent.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Can't imagine the kinds of things the guys playing slamball needed to sign for safety reasons

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Didn't the XFL bring about the use of the cable driven dangle cam we all take for granted now?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hell of a jawline on that cheerleader.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Because ancient sportswriters couldn't get over the whole wrestling thing so they buried it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

quote:

Some of the games are still available on YouTube, and the footage is something else. The quality of play is on par with an above-average high school game, yet overblown production values make it look like a football set piece in a Michael Bay movie. It's the sports world's Idiocracy, except that it actually happened.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
glad to see slamball is still alive and kicking at least

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
They tried way too hard and really that's the story of the whole entertainment industry c. 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This was a good idea:

• Locked thread