Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The article says He Hate Me got into the NFL and got to the Superbowl in 2004.

And that one other guy now has a doctorate.

Tommy Maddox (of the Los Angeles XTREME) was QB of the Steelers for a couple years, and one of those years was even pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korthal
May 26, 2011

When are they going to make a league based off NFL Blitz?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

llllllllll posted:

someone explain to me what the xfl was and why it didn't take off. ty

Nobody wants to watch a bunch of shitlords who aren't good enough for the NFL play football.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Korthal posted:

Oh cool I gotta keep swapping my rumble pak and memory pak back and forth? BITCHIN!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mods please move this to Football Funhouse tia

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Can't tell if you're making fun of his face or his name. Cause if you don't know who he is then lmao.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BigBoss posted:

The XFL didn't fail for lack of talent, it failed because of marketing.

It was certainly over-marketed. Like someone said, we're supposed to care about rivalries for teams that didn't exist two months ago? The XFL appearing in Arnold's "The 6th Day" as some kind of super high tech football league?

And also it was a Libertarian Fantasy: Players didn't get season contracts, they got paid based on how often they played, if they got injured, too bad so sad, the WWF/XFL doesn't have healthcare for its employees. As Atlas Shrugged's Box Office ought to attest, real people don't like that sort of thing so much.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Captain Candiru posted:

Can't tell if you're making fun of his face or his name. Cause if you don't know who he is then lmao.

I know who he is and I still make fun of his name. Because who doesn't?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Captain Candiru posted:

sounds like a bart simpson prank call name

etalian fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 5, 2015

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
He lives with horrible crippling pain every minute of every day and probably longs for death. That's all the laughs I need at his expense.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh cool I gotta keep swapping my rumble pak and memory pak back and forth? BITCHIN!

ps1 or die.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
basically all you need to know about xfl is that its football vince mcmahon's way (pbuh)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Slamball should be required to play space jam remixes for the entire game duration.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

It could have worked if Vince would have given it a proper name. Even in the early 2000s the X- whatever bs was played out. Vince also should have distanced it as much as he could from the world of wrestling rather than trying to blend the two. That includes Vince not being on camera or really having anything to do with the XFL other than own it, and maybe present the championship trophy. The XFL was awesome though in its innovation. Many of the camera tricks used in the XFL were later stolen and used by the NFL. I also think letting the players have more fun, and freedom with their uniforms, and celebrations was a huge plus that would have brought in more viewers over time. The biggest problem was the XFL tried to be too big too fast and ended up looking like a joke. They should have sold themselves for what they were, played football cut out the stupid wrestling style gimmicks, and sold themselves as a fun less uptight version of the NFL.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

get this... the ZFL

itll be great

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

VectorSigma posted:

get this... the ZFL

itll be great

I'm sold. Can it be sponsored by zima?

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

Arian_Samurai posted:

Also, Jesse Ventura worked as a commentator while still actively working as Governor of Minnesota which was pretty funny.

For some reason, this made my dad so angry that he yelled at the TV. That's the only thing I remember about the XFL.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Pox posted:

For some reason, this made my dad so angry that he yelled at the TV. That's the only thing I remember about the XFL.

GOD drat IT YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING THIS BARREN PIECE OF ICE NOT TALKING FOOTBALL!!!!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

no fair catch rule was pretty good but nobody knew how to work it so everyone from refs to commentators just kinda bounced back on nfl rules. that was unfortunate

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

a bone to pick posted:

The difference between the NFL and the XFL is the difference between a Taco and a Doritos© Locos Taco.

I would say the difference is more like the one between a Doritos© Locos Taco and Doritos© Locos Taco flavored Doritos©, IMO.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
A couple things were innovative (x-cam), everything else sucked, and the players were all cast-offs desperate to keep playing professional football so they'd go along with whatever. It could've been something if it weren't run by the 21st century P T Barnum. It was a league of guys who couldn't cut it in NFL Europe (which was still alive at the time).

He Hate Me still owns and is the lasting legacy of the XFL, along with Tommy Maddox.

Also, I was commissioner of an XFL fantasy league. Nobody remembers who won it.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 5, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mango sentinel posted:

Nobody wants to watch a bunch of shitlords who aren't good enough for the NFL play football.

yet college football is a multibillion dollar business

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Smiling Mandrill posted:

It could have worked if Vince would have given it a proper name. Even in the early 2000s the X- whatever bs was played out. Vince also should have distanced it as much as he could from the world of wrestling rather than trying to blend the two.

Now I'm considering if XFL should have done the opposite, though: A mix of pro-wrestling, small-town hockey and football. Every game is like The Waterboy.

Also, is MTV Rock and Jock still a thing, or is the idea of this generation of pop stars playing sports is more laughable than the idea of ME playing sports?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

XFL was bad because it was part of that bullshit part of sports that says "If you cannot take a hit to the head, getting dementia before you are 40 then GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE GAME YOU loving human being WHERE IS MY BEER AND STEAK?!" that insecure males ("I don't want gay dudes touching me, whoa! IMMA TAP YOU OUT!") love.

thanks to the av / post combo I mentally read your post in vince's voice

people walking past my office are looking at me strangely

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
BTW wasn't there another short-lived football league that Donald Trump (a oval office) was involved with?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pox posted:

That was another fatal flaw of the XFL: It made Dads really really angry

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

buttcrackmenace posted:

BTW wasn't there another short-lived football league that Donald Trump (a oval office) was involved with?

Yeah, the USFL. That was in the early 80's though, before the NFL had established itself as a juggernaut, so it actually had a chance until Trump hosed it up.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if Vince woulda toned down the wrestling aspect of the xfl i.e. the grandstanding bullshit it probably wouldve worked

also he hate me is an awesome name

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Hell of a jawline on that cheerleader.

I'd gently caress him.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Anybody remember the cheerleader locker room cam episode? They did it like two or three games before the end of the season in a desperate bid to increase ratings.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Anybody remember the cheerleader locker room cam episode? They did it like two or three games before the end of the season in a desperate bid to increase ratings.

Was just about to post that. It could have worked if it were a "real" behind the scenes with PG13 teasing. Instead we got some "Vince got knocked out and had a dream crap". Guess Vince thought desperate men wanted to see some Vince antics with their ogling

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Korthal posted:

NFL blitz owned A Lot and I wish they'd remake it with modern players/graphics

the madden ppl would probably bitch tho since they're supposed to have exclusive licensing or something

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
At least the WBF, another one of Vince's failures, gave us 'that' gif.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

they eventually made a combined one

it was massive and heavy but playing with an empty n64 controller afterwards felt like brittle plastic

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

My Q-Face posted:

I know who he is and I still make fun of his name. Because who doesn't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doC_T66kVAc&t=25s

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Loqieu posted:

I'm sold. Can it be sponsored by zima?

Frankly I'm convinced Zima was just ahead of it's time, too, I mean with Smirnoff Ice and poo poo actually making it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

eSports Chaebol posted:

Frankly I'm convinced Zima was just ahead of it's time, too, I mean with Smirnoff Ice and poo poo actually making it

they serve the same niche, which is bratty high school kids getting their hands on it so they can put it in a water bottle and tell ma that it isn't alcohol

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

xfl games were like watching the raiders play themselves

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Smeego posted:

ahead of its time imo

It probably will be the sport of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

comes along bort posted:

yet college football is a multibillion dollar business

multibillion dollar educational institution

• Locked thread