Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Feranon posted:

NFL blitz owned A Lot and I wish they'd remake it with modern players/graphics

the madden ppl would probably bitch tho since they're supposed to have exclusive licensing or something

They did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NFL should have stolen the promo concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTDtVopmHBc

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
The XFL was awesome and it was killed off by the NFL because they genuinely feared that Vince McMahon would take over football like he did wrestling.

RIP XFL You were too good for this world.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Don't forget that kickers were paid like $2000 per game played. The lowest NFL player gets like $500,000 a year even if they become paralyzed in the first game. Not as funny as arena football players that get $830 a game.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When the first broadcast came on & the first guy in the crowd you saw was some wasted old dude in a Giant sombrero with a beer in each hand, I knew the XFL was gonna own.

R.I.P. XFL.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Yaos posted:

Don't forget that kickers were paid like $2000 per game played. The lowest NFL player gets like $500,000 a year even if they become paralyzed in the first game. Not as funny as arena football players that get $830 a game.

How dare the XFL not hideously overpay their athletes when they were just starting out!

Athletes in most countries don't make even $2000 a game.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

My Q-Face posted:

And also it was a Libertarian Fantasy: Players didn't get season contracts, they got paid based on how often they played, if they got injured, too bad so sad, the WWF/XFL doesn't have healthcare for its employees. As Atlas Shrugged's Box Office ought to attest, real people don't like that sort of thing so much.

Let's be real here, no one quit watching the XFL because they disagreed with its labor practices

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

burritolingus posted:

How dare the XFL not hideously overpay their athletes when they were just starting out!

Athletes in most other countries are suckers

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

It could have worked if Vince would have given it a proper name. Even in the early 2000s the X- whatever bs was played out. Vince also should have distanced it as much as he could from the world of wrestling rather than trying to blend the two. That includes Vince not being on camera or really having anything to do with the XFL other than own it, and maybe present the championship trophy. The XFL was awesome though in its innovation. Many of the camera tricks used in the XFL were later stolen and used by the NFL. I also think letting the players have more fun, and freedom with their uniforms, and celebrations was a huge plus that would have brought in more viewers over time. The biggest problem was the XFL tried to be too big too fast and ended up looking like a joke. They should have sold themselves for what they were, played football cut out the stupid wrestling style gimmicks, and sold themselves as a fun less uptight version of the NFL.

I don't think you quite understand who Vince McMahon is.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

raditts posted:

At least three XFL didn't have any McMahon incest or tales of Vince passing around his daughter to business partners

Vince thinks people love that stuff

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

comes along bort posted:

yet college football is a multibillion dollar business

College football is a well-established NFL farm league.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

raditts posted:

:vince:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

raditts posted:

student-athletes student-athletes student-athletes STUDENT-ATHLETES STUDENT-ATHLETES

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

burritolingus posted:

Athletes in most other countries play more than one game a week though.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

kinda regret not watching xfl when i had the chance

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

^^^^ You didn't miss anything. I watched the first three weeks and it was basically them being completely unable to figure out what they were actually trying to do.

There was a Mad Magazine comic about the XFL that summed it up nicely, but I can't find it. It was something along the lines of five cameras per player, including the cable-cam and a steadi-cam guy on the field.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

It was certainly over-marketed. Like someone said, we're supposed to care about rivalries for teams that didn't exist two months ago? The XFL appearing in Arnold's "The 6th Day" as some kind of super high tech football league?

And also it was a Libertarian Fantasy: Players didn't get season contracts, they got paid based on how often they played, if they got injured, too bad so sad, the WWF/XFL doesn't have healthcare for its employees. As Atlas Shrugged's Box Office ought to attest, real people don't like that sort of thing so much.

atlas shrugged tanking has nothing to do with its politics. theyre terrible movies. likewise nobody gives a gently caress about player compensation

what a weird thought youve had here

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

My Q-Face posted:

Athletes in most other countries play more than one game a week though.

And they still make way less for more work. Meanwhile, teachers are underpaid and overworked. Good work, America.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

burritolingus posted:

And they still make way less for more work. Meanwhile, teachers are underpaid and overworked. Good work, America.

pfft teachers only work half a year :jerkbag:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Yeah, but most of the "problems" associated with the XFL apply to NCAA so the reason it failed isn't what most people claim it to be.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

vince mcmahon is the george lucas of sports

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sono posted:

multibillion dollar educational institution

If I'm paying a guy millions of dollars to beat people until they're retarded, I'd might as well send in a bunch of really well educated victims and make the bastard earn his money.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

vince is a smart guy. you dont get on the forbes billionaire list without being savvy. he entered a world he wasnt familiar with in football though and it showed.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

nobody gives a gently caress about player compensation

Bullshit, people don't put their kids into sports so their kids can break their bodies and make mediocre wages.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

My Q-Face posted:

Bullshit, people don't put their kids into sports so their kids can break their bodies and make mediocre wages.

Yeah, they do it so they don't have to deal with their kid for a couple hours a week.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

people get upset about college kids playing for free, now, in 2015. but nobody cares about post college semi pro players salaries now or then

if anything its the opposite. youd be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks nfl players are underpaid. sure there are leagues other than the nfl but they dont exist in the public consciousness

the only reason xfl compensations were as public as they were is so that vince could drive the point home that the players played for love of the game and you wouldnt find examples such as tom toms faggotry.

you can agree or disagree with making the salaries public and love of the game and et al, but dont doubt thats why they did it.

also these players were grown rear end adults, not some 18 year olds out of bfe nebraska. i suspect that the deep down idea was to treat the xfl like a farm league and in that case, the players were paid VERY well

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

raditts posted:

more of a NFL plantation league tbh

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

WhyteRyce posted:

At least three XFL didn't have any McMahon incest or tales of Vince passing around his daughter to business partners

Vince thinks people love that stuff

Reminder that the McMahon family are essentially just well groomed, college educated carnies and the kind of hucksterism behind the WWE and XFL are in their blood.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Is this the game that only had one song on the soundtrack, and it was HERE COMES THE BOOM?

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Is this the game that only had one song on the soundtrack, and it was HERE COMES THE BOOM?

That should be every game

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

BLITZ: THE LEAGUE II feat. Convicted Sex Offender Lawrence Taylor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Infidel Castro posted:

BLITZ: THE LEAGUE II feat. Convicted Sex Offender Lawrence Taylor

Buy this title with promo code MIKEVICK, get 50% off Nintendogs.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Both the WBF and the XFL suffered from Vince trying to inject his ideas of Sports Entertainment into actual competitions, and therein lies the reason for failure. Also, the XFL was tinkering with the rules in the middle of the season, not a good sign.

Question, I thought I remembered that in the XFL, punts were live balls once they touched the ground, but I cannot remember.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

Both the WBF and the XFL suffered from Vince trying to inject his ideas of Sports Entertainment into actual competitions, and therein lies the reason for failure. Also, the XFL was tinkering with the rules in the middle of the season, not a good sign.

Question, I thought I remembered that in the XFL, punts were live balls once they touched the ground, but I cannot remember.

yea, no fair catches. coulda been a good rule if anybody formed strategy around it

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

burritolingus posted:

Athletes in most countries have universal healthcare though

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Because you touch yourself at night.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

atlas shrugged tanking has nothing to do with its politics. theyre terrible movies. likewise nobody gives a gently caress about player compensation

what a weird thought youve had here

na its because of its politics, which is bankrupt, bitch idiot

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Delsaber posted:

it was the only song that was needed

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

eSports Chaebol posted:

Athletes in most countries have universal healthcare though

And those athletes are mostly in sports that are less concussion-prone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

There was the No Fair Catches rule, but I think someone got a massive concussion on one of the first plays so there may have been a Gentleman's Agreement on the part of the players not to cause season-ending injuries to each other, especially considering the Libertarian Utopia performance-only pay structure and lack of health care coverage. There's a reason the Fair Catch rule exists, and it's based on preventing injury rather than Making Football Boring as Vince et al. liked to think. I think they had a lot of great ideas for fan immersion which the NFL stole, like sideline cameras, in-game interviews, and I think the steadycam guy on the field was the coolest.

But the XFL could have been successful as a spring football minor league, like the USFL before Trump got his grubby hands on it. I agree that Vince was the problem, his insistence on stupid promos and self-insertion as The Commissioner or whatever drove away football fans that didn't want wrestling storylines in their sports, and wrestling fans that didn't want sports in their spandex-clad soap operas. Any actual fans probably couldn't tell if the product on the field was also as fake as wrestling since the XFL was so closely associated with WWE. I don't think he understood that the drama is inherent to the sport itself, not WE LET THE PLAYERS DATE CHEERLEADERS! LOOK WE'RE OUTSIDE THE CHEERLEADER LOCKER ROOM WITH A CAMERA! Vince doesn't get that adding carny bullshit to a product makes it worse, I don't think any football fans think the sport needs scripted breaks where players suplex referees or whatever. Just about anyone else at the helm and I think the XFL would have survived.

I want to know what happened to that sensor that made the hockey puck visible on TV broadcasts. It made it way more watchable.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 11, 2015

• Locked thread