Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

no fair catch rule was pretty good but nobody knew how to work it so everyone from refs to commentators just kinda bounced back on nfl rules. that was unfortunate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if Vince woulda toned down the wrestling aspect of the xfl i.e. the grandstanding bullshit it probably wouldve worked

also he hate me is an awesome name

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

It was certainly over-marketed. Like someone said, we're supposed to care about rivalries for teams that didn't exist two months ago? The XFL appearing in Arnold's "The 6th Day" as some kind of super high tech football league?

And also it was a Libertarian Fantasy: Players didn't get season contracts, they got paid based on how often they played, if they got injured, too bad so sad, the WWF/XFL doesn't have healthcare for its employees. As Atlas Shrugged's Box Office ought to attest, real people don't like that sort of thing so much.

atlas shrugged tanking has nothing to do with its politics. theyre terrible movies. likewise nobody gives a gently caress about player compensation

what a weird thought youve had here

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

vince is a smart guy. you dont get on the forbes billionaire list without being savvy. he entered a world he wasnt familiar with in football though and it showed.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

Bullshit, people don't put their kids into sports so their kids can break their bodies and make mediocre wages.

people get upset about college kids playing for free, now, in 2015. but nobody cares about post college semi pro players salaries now or then

if anything its the opposite. youd be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks nfl players are underpaid. sure there are leagues other than the nfl but they dont exist in the public consciousness

the only reason xfl compensations were as public as they were is so that vince could drive the point home that the players played for love of the game and you wouldnt find examples such as tom toms faggotry.

you can agree or disagree with making the salaries public and love of the game and et al, but dont doubt thats why they did it.

also these players were grown rear end adults, not some 18 year olds out of bfe nebraska. i suspect that the deep down idea was to treat the xfl like a farm league and in that case, the players were paid VERY well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

Both the WBF and the XFL suffered from Vince trying to inject his ideas of Sports Entertainment into actual competitions, and therein lies the reason for failure. Also, the XFL was tinkering with the rules in the middle of the season, not a good sign.

Question, I thought I remembered that in the XFL, punts were live balls once they touched the ground, but I cannot remember.

yea, no fair catches. coulda been a good rule if anybody formed strategy around it

• Locked thread