Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

BANME.sh posted:

Do you use fixed contrast paper or variable contrast? I have a bunch of Ilford contrast filters and I am wondering if I need to use them or not.

Can you get fixed contrast paper any more? My local store only carries VC, although the printing section is pretty small. Get some VC paper and play around with the filters, start doing stuff like split filtration, burning and dodging with different filters, etc.

I miss the darkroom at my school, need to set one up at home in the basement. Any tips on where to get a good deal on an enlarger? (I'm guessing Craigslist)

Do any dorkroomers do c-prints? I think that it doesn't take long enough to get happy with a B&W print and want to waste time with three different light colors in complete darkness without a safelight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

big scary monsters posted:

I don't waste nearly enough money on my bad photography at the moment so I'm currently converting my spare bathroom into a darkroom. For a start I'm just going to use it for developing so I can do away with my sweaty sack of darkness and have a nicer work area than the kitchen sink, but I'm keeping my eyes open on Gumtree for an enlarger too.

I'm curious roughly how many sheets of paper it takes most of you to get a print you're happy with. Presumably half a sheet or so for test strips and then ??? actual prints too.

I like to see how variations affect the entire print waste money so I use a full sheet to determine exposure time rather than just a strip. Usually I have an idea what filter I'll want to use, but if I vary that then add another sheet. I might experiment with dodging/burning a bit, so in the end I probably spend 5 sheets before I get a print that I'm okay with. Once you have everything set up is the perfect time to crank out a bunch of copies, so I'll run off however many I think I might want.

No clue how average I am, I know a lot of people use much smaller strips for tests, but it helps me to see the whole image gradiated.

• Locked thread