Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
USE FILTERS! Filters are crucial for making the images pop and increasing the contrast. I am partial to the split filter process, specifically using a 2 and 5. http://www.guidetofilmphotography.com/split-filter-printing.html

This is also great because it increases the time that you have to dodge and burn. Also use fiber paper. RC is fine for starting out and learning how to make a print, but the quality you get in fiber is unmatched and I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

McMadCow posted:

I split filter as well, but my highlights are exposed with a 0, moving on to a 00 for burns. I was taught 5/00, but figured out that 00 put down too much tone for my tastes. I'm curious why you use a 2 for your highlights, though. Can I see some examples?

This is only partially true. RC paper is fine to use if you suck, you hate your work, you're a Nazi, you're allergic to achievement, or if your mother once explained to you why you'll never have nice things. Otherwise, fiber is probably the better choice.

PS. RC sucks, don't use it or your're a jerk.

Yeah I would use either the 1 1/2 or 2 but the only reason was because the (lovely) university darkroom I was using was missing the 00-1. My professor at the time didn't even teach anything about split filtering, I had to pursue it on my own. It was very poorly ran and the university doesn't even utilize the darkroom anymore, which is a severe bummer. So I was essentially loving around on my own accord and using the materials I had. But here are some quick scans of some of my stuff. People should also keep in mind that there is definitely a difference between seeing a print in person and seeing a scan of it, especially after seeing how matte paper scans in vs glossy paper.

print by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Here's some negative stacking/multiple exposure

I've always been a big fan of your darkroom work McMadCow so I know this stuff isn't reaching the level that you have reached. I really wish I had figured out edge burning and had honed the skill down some more because it really is my personal favorite way to make work, as photoshop feels so cold in comparison. I hope one day to get my own darkroom, but apartment life pretty much destroys any hope of that, and Alabama is far too god awful to have a public darkroom. But hopefully one day I can get back into it.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

Are dusty negs as big of a problem with wet printing as they are with scanning? Or worse?

The problem isn't really dust on the surface of the negative which is a pain in scanning but dust that has dried on the emulsion. In those situations where you have dust spots on your print you have to hand spot with spotting dye. I never really had too many issues with dust in wet printing thankfully, far less than what I do currently in scanning.

McMadCow posted:

I think you'll find that going to 0/00 opens up a whole new world for you and will make the process far more intuitive. Using a 2 for your highlights must bring down your shadows in a massive way, considering that 2 is the contrast grade equal to no filter at all. I can quite often get my combined exposure correct on my first test strip because 0 affects shadows very little, if at all. The whole point of split filtering is to expose the extremes separately, and a 2 is the literal opposite of that.

I'm sure it will, knowing that makes far more sense, it'd be interesting to see how my previous and current stuff would come out. Tonality wise I felt more than satisfied with it at the time, but it'd be nice to try again.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

Can you do all your testing on cheaper paper and then do the final print on the good stuff? Or does the type of paper affect the outcome?

In a pinch I was using RC paper for test strips and found the exposure time was usually pretty similar between it and fiber paper.

• Locked thread