Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Darva Renning

"Gah!" Darva draws her her rapier as she comes under attack. "Look alive darlings!" She calls to the party and moves to attack. When she finds her magnificently booted feet refusing to move, her eyes narrow in anger. No one puts Darva in the corner! She blinks out of existence in a puff of smoke and light and reappears on the other side of one of the Skeleton Soldiers accosting Harrier and her. She stabs out, trying to catch it off guard while it is focusing on Harrier, but misses her mark. And she finds herself still unable to physically extricate herself from her spot.

Darva grits her teeth in frustration. "This won't do at all," she thinks to herself.

Free: Draw Rapier
Move: Fey Step to D3
Standard: Melee Basic Attack: 1d20+13: 16 Misses!

Save vs. Immobilized: 1d20: 5 Failed!

Will cast Shield on the next thing to attack my AC or Reflex: Immediate Interrupt +4 to AC and Ref.

pre:
Darva Renning   						 
HP: 27/30		AC:   21    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 7/7 (V: 7)	For:  13    Passive Perception: 16
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6		Will: 15    Vision: 

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Unseen Hand		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Dazzling Sunray		[X] Fey Step			[ ] Skewering Spikes
Shadow Sever		[ ] Bladesong			[ ] Guardian Blades
Mage Hand		[ ] Shield			[ ] Ring of Brilliance
Prestidigitation	[ ] Suggestion	
Magic Missile	 	[ ] Horn Tusk Hide Armor

Conditionals/Resists:
+5 to saves against charm effects.
+1 bonus damage with light blades against creatures granting combat advantage.
+1 bonus to attack rolls when attacking with a light blade and has combat advantage.
+2 bonus to AC in light armor with no weapon or shield in off hand.
Ignore partial cover and superior cover on implement attacks made with a wand.
Ranged and area attacks don't provoke when wielding a one-handed weapon.

Immobilized (save ends)

Superstring fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Contessa

Contessa reacted fairly quickly all things considered. She was unable to do much against the surprise attack, but her eyes locked on the skeleton that had wailed. An undead! Beanna have mercy! She steps forward, unsheathing her rapier as she goes. "No no no, you simply wretched thing. We shan't be going over there. How about you come closer instead." She says, though gone was her normal singsong tone. It was an order; directing her sheer presence of mind at the monster across the chasm. Yet as she does she falters and steps back, bringing her free hand to the side of her head from the backlash. Its mind (if it could even be called that) was so different than anything she had encountered before.

Move: to E6
Standard: Cutting Words vs Will against Skeletal Wailer. MISS

pre:
Contessa   						 
HP: 33/33                 AC:   18    Passive Insight: 19
Surges: 10/10 (V: 8)      For:  17    Passive Perception: 12
Initiative: +2   	  Ref:  14    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5   	          Will: 18    Vision: Low-Light

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Demoralizing Strike    [ ] Second Wind                    [ ] Implanted Suggestion
Ire Strike              [X] Cutting Words                
                       [ ][ ] Ardent Surge              
                       [ ] Ardent Outrage               
                       [ ] Dimension Swap
                       [ ] Adept's Insight 

Power Points: 3

Item Powers
Inescapable Rapier; cumulative +1 attack roll for each miss against same target. Ends when hit.
Veteran's Chainmail; +1 to attack rolls & defenses UEOMNT when spend action point.

Conditionals/Resists:
Each ally within 5 squares and myself gain +3 damage rolls to opportunity attacks
Each ally within 5 squares and myself gain +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks
Each ally within 10 squares gains +1 bonus to Diplomacy checks.
During surpsise rounds and first non-surprise round, each ally within 5 squares and myself at beginning of turn gain +2 speed

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
The skeletal soldiers fall one by one under your quick and decisive assault. Harrier's furious blows cause the bones of her attacker to go flying back, its weapon clattering to the floor. Koraslev's immediate reactions char the soldiers to the bone, causing one to crumple into ash, and the other to fall to its knees. It makes a weak attempt at Harrier, but it can't quite land a hit on the nimble pixie!

As Caroline thrusts into him, the skeletal soldier guarding the bridge takes a step back onto it. For a moment, you think you can see... fear in its eyes? Before you can get a closer look, it too explodes backward, entirely shattered under the force of your decisive blow. The way across the chasm is clear!

The creature across the chasm lets loose another agonizing shriek, a twinge of pain in its cry. Your wills still weakened from the trip, all of you feel compelled to move towards the source... except for Contessa, who seems to be able to ward off the creature's mental aggression. All of you are Pulled forward, and your feet refuse to respond. You are Immobilized (save ends)!

Caroline gets a good look at the creature from across the chasm, as she is compulsively drawn towards it. It too appears skeletal in nature, though you can only make out its face. It floats just a few inches off the ground, with a long, billowing robe draped over everything but its head. Its hands are raised high into the air, surrounded by the unmistakeable glow of necromantic magic!

The summoning circle's magic begins to intensify. Bones swirl around the center of a nexus of dark energy, pulling from the surrounding wastes, as well as the skeletons you had just slain. Dust and dirt begins to rise into the air just below Contessa's feet; apparently, she's in the epicenter!

Everybody's up, next round Friday night (or sooner).

Skeletal Soldier: HP 2/22, AC/F/R/W 18/15/16/15

Skeletal Wailer: HP 18/18, AC/F/R/W 17/13/15/14

quote:

Caroline: 34/34 HP
Contessa: 33/33 HP
Darva: 27/30 HP
Harrier: 23/28 HP
Koraslev: 28/28 HP

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Darva Renning

A small well of panic bubbles up inside Darva as she is dragged towards the chasm, her heels digging furrows into the dirt. She surmises that the creature across the chasm is causing the compulsion effect. She brings her rapier up to attack and, with a quick flourish, sends a series of magical bolts to strike unerringly at the battered Skeleton Warrior.

With the excess arcane energy gathered, she manages to snap out of the immobilization compulsion.

"Hmph! Much better." She says to herself, satisfied. "Someone finish off that foul creature!" She points over at the robed skeleton. Looking over her shoulder at the arcane confluence around Contessa, Darva asks, "Darling, are you alright?"

Standard: Cast Magic Missile at Skeleton Warrior at F4. Deal 6 damage.
Save vs. Immobilized: 1d20: 14 Success!

Will cast Shield on the next thing to attack my AC or Reflex: Immediate Interrupt +4 to AC and Ref.

pre:
Darva Renning   						 
HP: 27/30		AC:   21(23)    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 7/7 (V: 7)	For:  13(15)    Passive Perception: 16
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16(18)    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6		Will: 15(17)    Vision: 

Magic Missile	 	[ ] Horn Tusk Hide Armor

Conditionals/Resists:
+1 bonus to attack rolls when attacking with a light blade and has combat advantage.

Immobilized (save ends)

Superstring fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 6, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Koraslev

"Bah! Puny skeleton man! You think I need legs to kill you? You think just because you are bones you are safe from fire? I know other ways of burning you!"

He raises one hand and hurls a ball of sickly green fire towards the skeleton, blasting it's head clean off it's shoulders and leaving a sizzling stump.
Acid Orb vs Reflex @ M7: 1d20+8 24 1d10+8 18

yay for soft crits

"I am the living flame, silly bone man."

Save vs Immobilized: 1d20 17

pre:
Koraslev   						 
HP: 28/28		AC:   15    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 6/6 (V: 14)	For:  15    Passive Perception: 11
Initiative: +2		Ref:  13    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6		Will: 18    Vision: 

Burning Spray		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Dragonfang Bolt
Acid Orb		[ ] Hellfire Heart		
			[X] Dragon Breath		[ ] Infectious Flame Dagger
			[ ] Tempest Breath		 
			[ ] Spatial Trip

Conditionals/Resists:
Resist 5 Fire
+2 to Reflex when Bloodied
+1 to attack rolls while bloodied
+2 to AC after bloodied
-5 to attack rolls against allies
Regain Dragon Breath when taking fire damage.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!

Contessa

Contessa's eyes went wide as her fellows stepped forward seemingly against their will. Her psionic prowess seemed to grant her some measure of protection, yet she had bumbled right into the middle of the circle. She looks briefly at Darva and nods. "Of course, couldn't be better if there were two of me." she says, though admittedly a little raddled as the magic and dust and bones begins to swirl around her. "Oh bother, that can't be good" she says mostly to herself as she darts quickly out of the way, though still facing the circle for whatever may be on its way.

Move to E1

pre:
Contessa   						 

Demoralizing Strike    [ ] Second Wind                    [ ] Implanted Suggestion
Ire Strike             [X] Cutting Words                
                       [ ][ ] Ardent Surge              
                       [ ] Ardent Outrage               
                       [ ] Dimension Swap
                       [ ] Adept's Insight 

Item Powers
Inescapable Rapier; cumulative +1 attack roll for each miss against same target. Ends when hit.
Veteran's Chainmail; +1 to attack rolls & defenses UEOMNT when spend action point.

Conditionals/Resists:
Each ally within 5 squares and myself gain +3 damage rolls to opportunity attacks
Each ally within 5 squares and myself gain +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks
During surpsise rounds and first non-surprise round, each ally within 5 squares and myself at beginning of turn gain +2 speed

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Caroline

Rooted to the spot by unknown fear, Caroline has little more to do(and poor line of sight to her comrades to boot) and simply announces in a clear, authoritative tone: "Clear the circle and stand ready!" She stares the Wailer across the pit down and briefly considers throwing her blade at it but as her shades return to her side with the deaths of their marks she knows that would be far too embarrassing. Fortunately a thrown spell scatters the bones and puts the decision to rest. She raises her blade and her scepter and intensifies her ethereal armor in a Total Defense. Forced to stay still she tries to think of something useful to deal with these rotten fiends, studying their remains... eh, nothing outstanding springs to mind. But in her calm and steady breathing she feels a mental pulse banish the otherworldly cold.

Standard: Total Defense for +2 All Defenses USONT
Minor: Arcana of 15: Knowledge of the Ritual Circle
Minor: Religion of 19: Knowledge of the Skeletons
Save: 13 for a Pass

pre:
Caroline						 
HP: 34/34 (THP: 10/10)        AC:   22    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 9/9 (V: 8)       For:  14    Passive Perception: 10
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  20    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 16    
Languages: Common, Primordial

At Will			Encounter		     Daily
Booming Blade         [ ] Falcon's Mark            [ ] Vanishing Blade
Lightning Lure        [ ] Buffeting Wave           [ ] Host of Shields
Sword Burst                                        [ ] Luckblade
Aegis of Ensnarement                               [ ] Channeling Shield
Potion of Healing [ ] [ ] [ ]

Heavy Blade Expertise: +1 Attack, +2 Defense against OA
Watershaper: Elemental Origin, Underwater Breathing, Swim Speed
Grasping Ensnarement: When Aegis is triggered, Slow target UEONT(Caroline)
Disciple of Stone: Gain 5 THP after using a Healing Surge
Rose King's Shield: Gain 5 THP when hitting with Booming Blade.
Gain 10 THP if ending turn 2 Squares away from Starting Square.

Skills: Arcana/History +11, Diplomacy +9, Athletics/Religion +6, Insight +5, Endurance +4

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrier

"Ready."

Standard: Total Defense.

Save vs. Immobilized: 1d20 17

pre:
Golden Harrier   						 
HP: 23/28		AC:   23    Passive Insight: 13
Surges:  7/ 7 (V: 7)	For:  17    Passive Perception: 18
Initiative: +6		Ref:  21    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 4, Fly 6(1)	Will: 18    Vision: Low-Light

Fallen Needle		[ ] Disciplined Counter		[ ] Masterful Spiral
Five Storms		[ ] Drunken Monkey		[ ] Reed in the Wind
Flurry of Blows		[ ] Pixie Dust			[ ] Hero's Armor
Fast Hands		[ ] Shrink		
			[ ] Second Wind

Conditionals/Resists:
Ki Focus Expertise:  +1 damage to Bloodied enemies
Wee Warrior:  Can share the space of a larger creature or three other Tiny creatures;  
-5 to Strength checks for breaking or opening objects
Altitude Limit 1:  Fall if I end a turn higher than 1 square off the ground;
can safely fall a number of squares equal to my fly speed before taking damage or prone
Cannot fly while carrying more than 80 lbs.
Speak With Beasts:  Communicate with natural & fey beasts
Hero's Armor:  Action Point grants +2 defenses until end of next turn

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 6, 2015

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Caroline (Arcana): You try again to discern the nature of the ritual, but you can still only tell that it's summoning something.

Caroline (Religion): You're not exactly sure what these creatures are. They certainly seem no different than the typical natural undead animates, but something's off. You guess it's fair to call them Skeletal Soldiers for now. The Skeletal Wailer is no different.

As the last of the skeletal foes fall, their bones are violently flung into the now massive vortex of bone in the center of the summoning circle. Contessa just barely manages to dodge the flying femurs and skulls as it pulls in bone from all across the expanse of land you can see. It seems you have stopped the ritual too late... or perhaps it wasn't possible to stop it at all!

The bones begin to slam themselves together, one by one, forming into a massive, hulking goliath of a skeleton! As the dust clears, it lets out a massive battle cry. More bones slam themselves together onto its hand, fusing an enormous bone club onto its arm. It turns to face Koraslev and, with shocking speed, brings the club down onto his head, dealing 13 damage and knocking him Prone! The force of the blow completely shatters the weak stone wall behind Koraslev, sending shards of rock at Caroline, who is completely unphased by them.

The goliath skeleton wrenches its club back from the ground, groaning loudly as it stares all of you down. Due to the nature of its construction, and owing to the parts from which it is made, its bones are lined with small, thick spikes, that look painful to the touch. Its bones rattle and shake. It doesn't seem very sturdy!

Everyone's up! Next post Monday night (or sooner).

Skeletal Goliath: HP 54/54, AC/F/R/W/ 17/16/16/15

quote:

Caroline: 34/34 HP (10/10 THP)
Contessa: 33/33 HP
Darva: 27/30 HP
Harrier: 23/28 HP
Koraslev: 15/28 HP

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrier

Harrier dives upon the behemoth, seeking out cracks to break open and joints to twist with lightning speed, one wasp doing the work of a swarm. She springs away with the momentum of her last strike and sweeps around the skeleton to the north, hoping to divide its concentration.

Standard: Fallen Needle vs Reflex: 1d20+7 22 1d10+6 14
Goliath has -2 to attack rolls against me until my next turn ends.
Free: Flurry of Blows. Skeletal Goliath takes another 8 damage. I'll Slide him 1 square east so Koraslev can still stand up and blast him freely on his turn. Sound good?
Minor: Fallen Needle, Shift to F-4.
Move: Fly to C-6, avoiding the Goliath's adjacent squares. Anyone who can get on his south side will now be flanking him.

pre:
Golden Harrier   						 
HP: 23/28		AC:   21    Passive Insight: 13
Surges:  7/ 7 (V: 7)	For:  15    Passive Perception: 18
Initiative: +6		Ref:  19    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 4, Fly 6(1)	Will: 16    Vision: Low-Light

Fallen Needle		[ ] Disciplined Counter		[ ] Masterful Spiral
Five Storms		[ ] Drunken Monkey		[ ] Reed in the Wind
Flurry of Blows		[ ] Pixie Dust			[ ] Hero's Armor
Fast Hands		[ ] Shrink		
			[ ] Second Wind

Conditionals/Resists:
Ki Focus Expertise:  +1 damage to Bloodied enemies
Wee Warrior:  Can share the space of a larger creature or three other Tiny creatures;  
-5 to Strength checks for breaking or opening objects
Altitude Limit 1:  Fall if I end a turn higher than 1 square off the ground;
can safely fall a number of squares equal to my fly speed before taking damage or prone
Cannot fly while carrying more than 80 lbs.
Speak With Beasts:  Communicate with natural & fey beasts
Hero's Armor:  Action Point grants +2 defenses until end of next turn

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Caroline

Turning around at a casual pace as the wall explodes and flies by her, Caroline sizes up the skeleton and recalls that great headline, the one about the League of Examination team destroying a 100 foot tall skeleton. She takes a half-step back and holds her sword to the side, scepter raised towards the boney brute. A vanguard of her shades erupts around her and swiftly outfits her sword-hand with a massive ethereal banner bearing the gleaming mark of House Osraige, a trio of simple crowns. Pausing to nod to her stewards and draw in her breath for a second, Caroline then steps forward and casts her blade at the skeleton's torso! The banner crashes into its ribcage for 14 Force Damage with a magnificent boom, lacing the fiend with the arcane effects of her Aegis, the impaled banner hanging from its chest! The shades she called stand ready with lengths of hooked chain to seize the beast as Caroline takes another step to the side, eying the chasm nearby.

"Be cautious. Let him thrash himself back into the grave."

Standard: Falcon's Mark hits for 14 Force Damage. Skellie is Marked by Aegis!
Move: Shift to I9

Conditional: Big Boner has -2 to hit with an attack that doesn't include me. After an attack that doesn't include me he is Teleported to K8(centered in the pit while adjacent to me!) and Slowed UEOMNT.

pre:
Caroline						 
HP: 34/34 (THP: 10/10)        AC:   22    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 9/9 (V: 8)       For:  14    Passive Perception: 10
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  20    Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 16    
Languages: Common, Primordial

At Will			Encounter		     Daily
Booming Blade         [X] Falcon's Mark            [ ] Vanishing Blade
Lightning Lure        [ ] Buffeting Wave           [ ] Host of Shields
Sword Burst                                        [ ] Luckblade
Aegis of Ensnarement                               [ ] Channeling Shield
Potion of Healing [ ] [ ] [ ]

Heavy Blade Expertise: +1 Attack, +2 Defense against OA
Watershaper: Elemental Origin, Underwater Breathing, Swim Speed
Grasping Ensnarement: When Aegis is triggered, Slow target UEOMNT
Disciple of Stone: Gain 5 THP after using a Healing Surge
Rose King's Shield: Gain 5 THP when hitting with Booming Blade.
Gain 10 THP if ending turn 2 Squares away from Starting Square.

Skills: Arcana/History +11, Diplomacy +9, Athletics/Religion +6, Insight +5, Endurance +4

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!

Contessa

Contessa's eye widen a bit, though she showed no other outward signs of distress at seeing the monstrous skeleton. She reaches out again with her mind, though this time towards Koraslev. It was a little easier this time; though not the human intellect she was used to she had a better grasp of the dragonborn's psyche than the undead's. She took hold of the pain she felt from the brute's assault; meanwhile colors swirling about hers and Koraslev's heads as she puts his pain to her own use... the vibrant reds and blues and purples of her psionic manifestation gradually moving to her rapier, at which point she lunges forward to stab at the skeleton's ankle and release the negative emotion into it instead.

"Get up my walking flint and tinder; it doesn't hurt that bad. Trust me, I know."

Move: to E4
Minor: Ardent Surge on Koraslev: Can use a healing surge and heal an additional 1d6 damage, +1 bonus to attack rolls UEOMNT
Standard: Implanted Suggestion vs Will against Skeletal Goliath for 2d8+5 = 15 Damage.

Goliath is affected by suggestion (save ends). Whenever goliath makes an attack, one ally adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack as a free action after goliath's attack is resolved.
Goliath is dazed (save ends).

pre:
Contessa   						 

Demoralizing Strike    [ ] Second Wind                    [X] Implanted Suggestion
Ire Strike             [X] Cutting Words                
                       [X][ ] Ardent Surge              
                       [ ] Ardent Outrage               
                       [ ] Dimension Swap
                       [ ] Adept's Insight 

Item Powers

Conditionals/Resists:

A Bug fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 7, 2015

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Darva Renning

A devilish grin spreads across Darva's face as the group seems to coalesce and become singular in purpose. "Excuse me! You there!" She says as she she winds up her rapier with another charge of scintillating arcane energy. Making a series of thrusts, bolts of magical energy impact against the Skeletal Goliath. "I do believe you're not going tibia okay!"

Standard: Magic Missile hits for 6 damage.

pre:
Darva Renning   						 
HP: 27/30		AC:   21	Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 7/7 (V: 7)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 16
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16	Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6			Will: 15	Vision: 

Magic Missile		[ ] Horn Tusk Hide Armor

Conditionals/Resists:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

The skeletal goliath falls quickly under your combined might, far more quickly than you had anticipated. The bones which had fused together begin to crumble and fall to the ground, kicking up dirt and dust, and leaving craters where they fall. Its bone club just misses Darva as it, too, collapses onto the dead ground.

Everybody gains a level! Wow! You're all so cool. Great job!

Taking a closer look at the pile of bones, as well as the ones around the area. there's something rather curious about these particular skeletons. All of them have... spiky bones. That's the only real way to put it. Small flecks of bone have been tilted slightly upward and honed to a sharp point. In addition, many, but not all, of the skeletons still seem to have some fresh meat and blood dripping from their carcasses. These are certainly nothing like the skeletons back home. Perhaps it's a regional difference?

No time for study though. A pair of tall men cautiously approaches you, wielding longspears similar to the ones the skeletons had been using. They point their spears at your group, and one of them says, "Who... who are you? What are you doing here? And... how did you take down those Remnants?" The man's voice is shaky, frightened. They're clad only in light, hide armor, certainly not befitting of any warrior.

Contessa (Insight): These two definitely don't seem intent on fighting your party. They seem to seek only answers.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Darva Renning

As the massive skeleton finishes crumbling and the two men accost them, Darva turns towards the newcomers. With a flourish, she whips her rapier downwards, pointing its tip towards the ground. Hopefully, the gesture would show the newcomers that she wasn't hostile, but remained ready to defend herself. "Gentlemen you're looking positively awful!" she tsks. "We're from the Confluence. I don't suppose the two of you are a part of the second party they sent to the Heavenspillar?" She touches her chin in thought. "What was the second party called again, dears? The Fools-something? It's on the tip of my tongue."

pre:
Darva Renning   						 
HP: 32/35		AC:   21	Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 7/7 (V: 8)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 16
Initiative: +4		Ref:  16	Action Points: 1/1
Speed: 6		Will: 15	Vision: 

Dazzling Sunray		[ ] Fey Step			[ ] Skewering Spikes
Magic Missile		[ ] Horn Tusk Hide Armor

Conditionals/Resists:
Make an MBA as a minor when using a bladesinger daily attack on my turn.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

No need for your combat block right now - unless you get into a fight with these guys.

"Confluence? Heavens-what?" The first man looks to the other, and they exchange a puzzled look. "What... what are you babbling on about? Who or what is 'the Confluence'? And what is THAT thing!?" The first man points his spear at Koraslev, in a non-threatening way. "The rest of you look Eiennan, but I don't recognize any of you."

The second man speaks up. His voice is a bit more assertive than the first man's, but it still wavers. "Look, nobody should be OUT here. Only Remnants live here. So why are YOU here? I'm expecting a better answer than the nonsense you just gave us! We'll leave you here for the Remnants if you don't cooperate!"

The first man leans in to his compatriot. "Did she just call us fools?" The second man replies, "I think so, but we can't take them... just play it safe for now. They can't enter the city anyway, right?"

VVV The situation's pretty tense, but things are going slow. A short rest it is.

Poultron fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 8, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrier

That went quite well. The others were much more capable than first impressions had suggested. "They were fearsome-looking, but brittle in the end. Hopefully you will have some peace now." Harrier leaves the matter of introductions and important questions to the group's political officer.

Short rest time? I'll spend 1 surge to top up. I'm assuming the level up takes effect after our next extended rest.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Caroline

Stepping in front of Darva(but only coming up to her chin) the immaculate officer sheaths her blade, dismisses her shades and dims her ethereal armor until it fades entirely. She assumes a stance of proper authority and keeps a tight-lipped smile. "I am Corporal Caroline Osraige, representing The Confluence of City-State Draiochtia under the charter of the League of Examination. We are charting the region and were forced to engage these creatures as is our Gods-sworn duty to return them to the earth." She strides up to the two and stands at ease, arms folded. Sure, she is the very picture of assertive, but it is clear she won't actually run them through if they say the wrong thing. That Is Diplomacy! She opens a small journal and presents the seals of her military service, House Osraige and the League pinned to the inside of the cover.

Diplomacy of 21

"I would appreciate it if you could tell us where you came from and your relation to this region. The thought that the dead walk due to negligence is chilling, to say the least. A map of the region would be appreciated... perhaps our countries are separated by this blighted land." Yes, that is right. These two are now on trial in her eyes. Her gaze is focused until she looks off to the side, eyebrows flat with disinterest in their shock at her companion. "This beast of burden is known as Koraslev and will answer to my authority if he sets fire to anything belonging to the pious living."

Poultron
May 26, 2006

The first man cautiously takes the documentation from Caroline's hands, keeping her at spear's length. He reviews them slowly, while the second man keeps a close eye on you. Their fright has given way to caution and suspicion, but they're positioning themselves less aggressively now. "Hmm. I don't recognize any of these seals, but I suppose at least you aren't trying to kill us. And you did take down those Remnants..." He taps his chin briefly. "We're... we're from the only city in this land... or so we thought. Is it not impossible to be unaware of the great city of Hanawani?"

The second man pipes up again. "So you're not Eiennan, then? You're... Draiochtian, I guess?" He glares at Caroline. "And what's this about negligence? We cannot fight the Remnants. They will simply come back again. How do you not know this?"

The first man adds, "We do have a limited map of our region back at home, but there is not much to map. There is only blightland as far as the eye can see. It would be of little use to you, I suspect."

The second man snaps, "Look, why should we trust you!? You're not Eiennan, you can fight the Remnants, and you're from a strange land we've never hard of. How exactly can we be sure you're not some kind of... I don't know, some kind of new Remnant, or something?"

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Darva Renning

Darva gasps and places a hand on her chest in indignant offense. "How dare you, do I look look like some sort of undead creature?!" Her tone drips with incredulous disdain. Some of it manufactured, but only some.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Caroline

An eyebrow twitches. "They'll come back? They've always been here!? AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE!? AND YOU THINK WE STAND WITH THEM!?" She points back at the man, gloved hand matching the rigid poise and angle of his spear. Her voice has broken from the calm tone of authority to the pious fury of absolute indignation! "There is nothing more depraved than the villainous dead! This is a value every citizen of the Confluence holds dear! If they rise, they must be put down! If they rise again, fight them again! If your army must stand ready until the end of time then so be it! THIS IS THE WILL OF THE HEAVENS, HANDED DOWN BY THE RAVEN QUEEN HERSELF! IF YOU MUST BE BURDENED UNTIL THE END OF TIME, GREET YOUR MAKERS WITH HEADS HELD HIGH AND SOULS PURE AND HONEST!"

She folds her arms again, grit teeth bared. As if on cue a cold wind cuts across the chasm and whirls about the group, making her long straight hair billow. "The likes of these remnants have cost House Osraige everything in my homeland! I WOULD FOREVER STAND AGAINST FOES SUCH AS THE REMNANTS IN NOBLE DEFENSE OF THE LIVING!"

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
Contessa

Contessa sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose as she listened to Caroline speak to the new arrivals. She had taken a few moments to regain her emotional composure and look what had happened!

She steps behind their appoineed leader, standing a head or so taller than the Lady Orsiage and rests a hand on her shoulder. "Do pardon us just a moment, gentlemen. Caroline, a word if you please?" She says before giving the pair her biggest sweetest smile.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Koraslev

Koraslev snorts fire incredulously.

"What am I!? What am I!?! I am Koraslev the Living Flame! The Only Reason you have problem with bone men is you not burn the bone men. Fire makes bone splinter and turn to powder. If that not happen you not use enough fire! I never see powder hurt someone, unless you sniff it like crazy shaman once did. Think he get powers over dead, just get lung rot. Bad way to go. Burned him alive, much better."

He nods sagely at his own magnificent thinking.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
Contessa

Contessa looked briefly between Koraslev and Caroline. "Darlings, do me a kindness and take a look around to make sure there aren't any of those grisly... what did you call them, Remnants? Any remnants lurking about. I know I would feel a lot safer and so would our new friends."

She then leaned in closer to Caroline to whisper "Look at them, they're almost scared to death. They're obviously not with any army and I'm sure if they had the means to dispatch them they would."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrier

"Well, sir, you will note that the Remnants set upon us when we arrived, and we are now speaking peacefully with you rather than mindlessly attacking. How exactly could one prove they are not undead? How would you?"

"Why would you be out here, if you are not fit to face them?"

Poultron
May 26, 2006

The men are caught completely off-guard by Caroline's sudden outburst, and they both clutch their spears close to their body as she unleashes her burning spirit upon them. They visibly quake in their boots... until Caroline mentions the Raven Queen. "Wait... you don't mean... Beanna, do you?" One of your party gives a quick affirmation. The guards fall dead silent. As Harrier speaks up, they nod to her.

"Well, honestly, we're out here to figure out what the deal is with you lot. We've not seen anything but Remnants out here since... well, since the last Eldest One was sung out. That was what, 300 years ago, now?" The second man nods. "So you must understand, it was quite perplexing for us. We no longer fight the Remnants. There is a magical barrier around Hanawani that has prevented them from entering the city for as long as our civilization has existed."

The second man shakes his head. "Look, I'm Minarui, and he's Minayoi. Usually people call us Rui and Yoi, keeps it simpler. I think it's best if we take you back to the city for an audience with the Eldest One. He's the one who saw you out here in the first place, after all. We couldn't have- I mean, you'll see when we get there. My gut tells me you're a group of important people. Why else would you have shown up here? I've never seen a Remnant talk as fluently as all of you, so I'm convinced enough. What you think, Yoi?"

Yoi just nods sheepishly. "I suppose Rui is right. I'd certainly rather get back to the city than stay another minute out here, at least! Come on, follow us, it's really not too far."

The pair lead you in silence across the dead wastes. The bones of Remnants dot the landscape, hard to avoid crushing underfoot. Gaping holes and chasms in the ground punch through the world, greedily consuming the dirt and bone wherever they can. The only sound you can hear is the clomping of your party's feet as you travel. Rui and Yoi talk only amongst themselves, ignoring any questions your party throws their way. Far off into the distance, you can spot a few roaming Remnant soldiers, who don't seem to be very interested in your party.

Not a half an hour later, the scenery still unchanged, you come to the edge of a rather frighteningly steep hill. Nestled at the bottom of the valley is a sprawling, magnificent city, a city of blacks and grays and oranges, framed perfectly by the setting sun just behind it. A few jutting towers here and there direct your attention upwards to a massive statue near the center. Remnant bones are scattered around the outskirts of the city in even greater numbers than out in the wastes, all stopping just short of the city walls.

"Right... for some reason the Remnants don't like hills. Can't figure it out. So we uh... we ensteepened this hill. Is that a word?"

"No, Yoi. That's not a word. We artificially raised the elevation outside the city in order to stop some of the Remnant attacks."

"Artificially ensteepened."

The pair of guards cautiously move down the side of the hill, urging you to follow. As they approach the gates, you realize there are no guards there. You simply walk right in. The inside of the city feels nothing like the dead wastes you just came from, other than the feeling of emptiness that seems to pierce the air.

Rui speaks up. "Nobody's roaming the streets around here, since nobody really likes to see the Remnants when they fall in the pit. We're gonna have to move in farther for that. I'm guessing you guys are pretty tired, so we'll show you to the only inn we got in town. Nobody actually uses it anymore, since, well, we never get any visitors. It's really just the owner's house with some spare beds, but it should do the trick. She's quite nice, but she's gonna be sung out soon.

"Oh come on, Rui, don't be like that. She's got another 10 years."

"Yeah yeah. Anyway, this is the center of the city..."

It's a tough statement to swallow. Even in the center of town, there's minimal activity. A few people hustle and bustle, but on the whole there are very few shops, very few people.

"Reason nobody's out right now is that it's a work day, and it's almost night time. Activity should start picking up real soon. Over that way is the inn I was tellin' you about. She uh... probably won't charge ya, but just in case, I hope you got somethin' we consider money around here. Down over there is where the Eldest One lives. I highly recommend you pay him a visit. He can answer any question you have about the city... and he'll come lookin' for you if you don't go see him, anyway. But no rush."

Yoi cuts in meekly, "I'd avoid the taverns, if I were you... Eiennans are pretty mean drunks. And I doubt they'd take kindly to a group of strangers just wandering in... there would be talk."

Rui nods in agreement. "Nothin' stoppin ya from goin' there, but Yoi's right. I know we haven't given you too much to go off of, but... we gotta get back to our post. Sittin' at the gate all day gettin' paid to watch Remnants pop sure is tough business, eh Yoi?"

Yoi shakes his head meagerly, and Rui slaps him on the back. "That's the spirit, Yoi! We might see ya again tomorrow, but probably not. So don't get into any trouble, alright?"

With that, Rui and Yoi depart, leaving your party in the middle of a city you know nothing about, in a land you know nothing of. To the north lies the road to the inn. To the east is the Eldest One's building. To the west, you can hear faintly hear the sound of a man singing a wonderfully solemn tune. The smell of flowers comes from this direction. To the south is a tavern, as evidenced by a sign. You can see several people beginning to file off towards this direction.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Darva Renning

Darva looks around, wide eyed and confused. As the two guards walk away, she turns to the rest of the party. "My dears, is it just me or is the Heavenspillar rather much... different than one expected?" Darva puts on confident and self-assured airs, but an edge of apprehension slips through her demeanor. "So, what is to be our first plan of action then? Thoughts everyone?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Caroline

Caroline glares at Contessa, cheeks puffed a bit. "I think anyone would be properly ashamed of a situation like this... a bit of shame will do them good." But things work out in their favor soon and she follows their new guides. Before they go she catches Rui or Yoi by the shoulder. "A-hem. Please return promptly with that map you mentioned." Once they're gone she looks up to Darva confidently.

"We do our duty. I will update my journal with our findings and then meet with the Elder One. The rest of you have my permission to take a brief leave in the city. Be careful, I have my suspicions about any society that would let the dead get this out of hand." With that said she salutes everybody. "Dismissed." And heads into the Inn, very much intent on reflecting upon her recent experiences and meticulously documenting everything they have learned thus far.

(I think we could do a small split-up for the most efficient checking out of everything. I'll visit the Inn and then the Elder One myself.)

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!

Contessa

She let out a sigh of relief once the pair introduced herself, then follows them. She kept quiet during the trip, though did occasionally bring her hand to her rapier when passing the errant Remnants, though never actually drew her blade. After all, getting bogged down in the middle of nowhere wouldn't help, and there would be plenty of time to deal with those things later. She was sure to keep quiet as they reached the city, giving only the occasional nod of acknowledgment.

Yet as their leader spoke to her, Contessa looked right back at Caroline. Despite wearing a smile it wasn't hard to tell from the steely look that she wasn't happy. She speaks softly yet in a firm, even tone. "Come now, even an Orsiage should have the education to see these people are all but besieged." she says, saying her family name with a rather venomous sneer. "You saw the bones outside the walls, it would be a shock if these people have anything resembling an army... if they did, wouldn't a military scouting party come to have fetch us?" She does return the salute though. "Our duty is to learn more and to vanquish those dreadful undead; wouldn't alienating potential sources of information make that difficult? At any rate, I shall accompany you; I should like to learn a little more about some things our guides mentioned and ensure we don't get thrown out into the wastes."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrier

Harrier quietly escapes the argument and flies off in the direction of the Eldest One, hoping her comrades will comport themselves well. Or at least avoid violence. Or at least keep casualties to a minimum.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Koraslev

"Hah! You think the threat of violence would keep me from the only place in this town with any decent drink? Let them test themselves against the living flame! They shall break like Lava upon obsidian."

He storms off in the general direction of the tavern, ale on the mind.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Darva Renning

Darva refrains from blanching visibly as Koraslev tromps off to find the nearest tavern. "Oh dear, do be quick everyone. I shall try to keep our walking arson out of trouble for as long as I can." She follows after him, not quite relishing the thought of what could be about to happen.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

The signs lead here, to the front of a dishevelled, unloved, and unassuming building. By all accounts, the building seems abandoned. There's not even a sign out front; the only way you know this is the right place is because you asked a local, who was supremely confused as to why you were asking at all. Knocking on the door would elicit no response, so you just head inside anyway.

The inside of the inn is shockingly sparse, but well-maintained. A reception desk with no receptionist. A couch with no customer. A pot with no plant. A couple of posters are scattered on the walls for nothing particularly interesting. A tiny bell on the reception desk with a tattered old sign on it reading, "RiNG FOR SERViCE".

Upon ringing the bell, nothing seems to happen for a moment. Then, you hear the clattering of movement from upstairs. "Coming! Oh, just wait right there, I'll be down there in just a moment!" You hear a woman's voice coming from the top of the stairs. "Oh, goodness me, surely there's no visitors at the old Marigold after all these years? Why, it's got to have been almost 50 years... or was it 15?"

A woman roughly middle-aged in appearance walks down the stairs. Her face is kind, yet weathered. She wears a bright pink flower in her hair, which is done up in a lovely bun. She wears a rather plain white and brown dress. She clasps her hands together, smiling warmly at you. "It's been so so long, I just can't believe you're actually here! Am I dreaming perhaps? You're not here to take me to my ceremony are you? No, I'm sure I didn't miscount. I've got at least another 10 years! I think..." She pauses to ruminate on this for a moment. "Yes yes, I'm quite sure. So... are you actually here to stay at the Marigold Inn, or is there something else I can help you with, perhaps..?"

The Eldest One's residence actually resides on the side of the hill on the opposite end of the city where you entered. Getting there takes a least 10 minutes of walking, perhaps more. However, it's a straight path, so it's not too difficult to find. You approach the manor's entrance, and find it guarded by a pair of somewhat more well-armed guards than Rui and Yoi. Their spears are in better condition, and they wear chainmail instead of hide.

"Woah woah woah, what on earth is this? Never seen a fairy around here before. Coulda sworn those were fake," says one of the guards. The other one remains completely silent. "But of course they aren't. The Eldest One said you'd be comin' around here. He told me to give you this. And to skip to the good part, he's not ready to see you tonight. You're gonna have to come back tomorrow... and bring the rest of 'em next time, will you?"

The guard tosses you a letter rather unceremoniously. Luckily it's not too big for you to be unable to handle. The letter is a little simpler than you expected:

"Servants of Beanna,

There is much for us to discuss. I know why you have come, though you do not yet know yourselves. I will answer all of your questions tomorrow, and we can begin to unravel his plot.

Kind regards,

The Eldest One"

You find it a bit odd that he signs his letter as "The Eldest One." Regardless, it seems like you're not getting anywhere here tonight, so best to head back and try somewhere else.

The Song's End Tavern was a bit difficult to get into, seeing as the entire town is trying to cram itself through its doors at once. Contrary to what Yoi said, nobody really seems to notice you yet. The air is filled with mirthful laughter, the smell of fine ale, and the particularly charming melody of a bard tucked away in the corner. Perhaps Yoi was exaggerating a bit.

You approach the bartender, squeaking clean a noticeably filthy mug. He doesn't even look up from his work before grunting, "Yep, what can I getcha. We got ale, we got beer, we don't got wine. Muuuuch better than that bloody Bard's Tale, I'll tell you that." He sticks his face up to the mug, inspecting it carefully for a minute, before returning to rubbing it down with a cloth. "Come on fellas, I don't got all day back here."

A table nearby begins to point and whisper at the pair of you, giving you a couple of dirty looks, but they otherwise keep to themselves.

Poultron fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 10, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrier

So much for that.

Harrier decides the tavern was nearer, but she enters quietly, keeping to the rafters, listening for anything out of the ordinary.

Stealth: 1d20+13 28

Do I have time to get there?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Koraslev

Koraslev bursts through the door a mountain of scales, his gaze affixed on the barkeep.

"You there! Ale! Strong Ale! My flames need stoking!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Caroline

She should wince when Contessa delivers the expert barb... but it is just business as normal for the family name. It does bring her back down to earth, though. "Yes, let us do our duty."

And that duty is now to procure bunking! Caroline smiles and offers a hand to shake. "Corporal Caroline Osraige, a pleasure to meet you. My followers and I will be staying in town for a bit and would like five beds."

"And maybe I could ask you about anything interesting in the city?"

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Darva Renning

Darva stays near Koraslev. She takes no specific action yet, but stands ready to intervene should his... enthusiasm be taken the wrong way.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
Contessa

Contessa followed Caroline to the inn, looking curiously at their would-be accommodations. "Ooh isn't this exciting! We're practically camping!" She says in a sweet, singsong tone of voice.

She of course had questions of her own, but they could wait until their meeting with the Elder One.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

The woman acts a bit surprised and even jumps back a little as you thrust your hand out, and she stares at it blankly. She looks up at you as though you were a child, gently turning your hand to face palm up and placing hers on top for a few seconds. "Er, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Kiina. Goodness, five entire rooms? I'm so excited..." She slides her hand off of Caroline's, offering her hand palm down to Contessa, hopefully having the gesture repeated. "I must say, you have such wonderful fashion sense. I am so very charmed to meet you both. Wonderful, wonderful!"

She turns completely away from you, rushing over to the receptionist's desk. She busies herself for a moment. "Erm, I actually only have four rooms available, I'm afraid. One of them is occupied by myself, and the other occupied by a friend of mine. I think someone will have to share! I certainly hope that is okay..."

She shuffles back over to you, meekly handing you a keyring with a set of four keys on it. "The rooms are just upstairs. Just ignore the blue doors, that's where we are staying!" She smiles warmly, her expression quickly replaced with curiosity as Caroline inquires about activities in the city. "Interesting..? Oh, gosh, I'm not so sure. I usually just stay in the house, Hana is the one that brings me everything I need... I know there's a gravesong ceremony happening tonight, but I cannot for the life of me recall for who."

She pauses for a moment, noting the confused expression on your faces. "I'm dreadfully sorry, but there is not much else to do in town, really, unless you're looking for work. Oh! There is a bakery just down the way looking for skilled bakers... if perhaps you are interested. The Song's End Tavern is the most popular bar in town, though some folks prefer the Bard's Tale. Can you believe it's actually seedier than Song's End? Hm!" She nods to herself, tilting her head in the process to smile warmly at the pair of you.

"I can prepare the rooms for you while you fetch the rest of your group, if you like. Or you can retire now! Oh, but they wouldn't have their keys... sorry, old age, you know how it is."

Harrier successfully arrives before any of the following events occur. Pixies sure are fast!

The barkeep rolls his eyes at Koraslev's demanding request, slamming the mug he was cleaning onto the counter. He grabs a particularly chosen bottle from the shelf behind him and unceremoniously uncorks it and dumps the contents into the mug in front of him. "Strongest ale in the house. Juuuust for you, buddy" he grunts sarcastically, leaning down to pick another dirty mug from the floor to resume cleaning.

Before Koraslev even has time to so much as touch the mug of ale, one of the men who had been at the murmuring table had pushed his chair back and walked over to confront Koraslev. Much like Rui and Yoi, he was tall, slender, and weakly built. He definitely had no business getting up in the face of a 7 foot, 300 pound dragon. "Ha-hey, buddy! Haven't seen anything like you around here before. You a Remmie that snuck past the town gates somehow? You're about as ugly as one!" He pushed Koraslev in the chest, moving him approximately zero centimeters. The group at his table began giggling, whispering to themselves.

He turns his gaze to Darva, eyeing her up and down. "You, on the other hand... you must be Eiennan, right? How come I've never seen you before, beautiful?" He rubs his hands together greedily. "Hey, how's about a deal? I beat up this ugly looking Remmie for ya, and you come back to my place so we can, sing til morning's end, if you know what I mean?" He waggled his eyebrows poorly, as if he had never actually seen anybody do it before.

The rest of the tavern was now staring intently at the bar, a hushed tone falling over the guests. A few of them sipped their ale quietly, others whispered amongst their companions. All of them seemed quite interested in the outcome of the argument, but nobody seemed interested in stepping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harrier

Harrier quietly drops from the rafters onto the floor behind the drunken Eiennan, and ties his shoelaces together.

She hopes the fool will appreciate how she is saving his life.

• Locked thread