Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think what bugs me the most about this plotline is that while Fiona may have agreed to indenture the whole group Tevinter contracts ain't worth poo poo down here. The second he went back on his promise she should have told him to get hosed since we showed up to offer an alternative and we have our own army. The Imperium isn't going to risk another EM against them for what amounts to a group of outcast fuckups. Plus how he got the Arl to just up and leave is another big mystery. The codex says the Arl goes to Denerim to ask for help from the Queen (or King, or both depending on your world state) but leaving your nigh-unassailable fortress in the hands of a foreign rear end in a top hat just seems like bad strategy.

The way I figure it, a lot of people associate the Inquisition as being a part of the Chantry or the same as the first Inquisition (zealots hunting Mages). When Fiona saw for herself what the Inquisition stood for she offered them the alliance. But because Alexius messed with time to get to the Mages nearly after the destruction of the Conclave, where fear would be most abundant, he could manipulate Fiona into signing onto Tevinter with promises of protection and safety (after 10 years of indentured servitude). And since Fiona never sees for herself what the Inquisition is really like, with only their name to go on and all of the Anti-Mage connotations connected to it, she's sticking to Alexius (but you can see she's getting disillusioned with his 'help' and it only grows from there).

And no one is in a position to launch an Exalted March at this point, as well.

In any case, I'm not too hard on Fiona for trying to save her people after the Conclave's destruction, with nearly everyone blaming Mages for it, and taking a deal like that. A lot of people in this game make decisions they wouldn't normally make when cornered (or maybe it's cause I'm the sort of guy who gives second chances).

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SgtSteel91 posted:

The way I figure it, a lot of people associate the Inquisition as being a part of the Chantry or the same as the first Inquisition (zealots hunting Mages). When Fiona saw for herself what the Inquisition stood for she offered them the alliance. But because Alexius messed with time to get to the Mages nearly after the destruction of the Conclave, where fear would be most abundant, he could manipulate Fiona into signing onto Tevinter with promises of protection and safety (after 10 years of indentured servitude). And since Fiona never sees for herself what the Inquisition is really like, with only their name to go on and all of the Anti-Mage connotations connected to it, she's sticking to Alexius (but you can see she's getting disillusioned with his 'help' and it only grows from there).

And no one is in a position to launch an Exalted March at this point, as well.

In any case, I'm not too hard on Fiona for trying to save her people after the Conclave's destruction, with nearly everyone blaming Mages for it, and taking a deal like that. A lot of people in this game make decisions they wouldn't normally make when cornered (or maybe it's cause I'm the sort of guy who gives second chances).

He also infested the mages' ranks with his flunkies spreading pro-Tevinter propaganda, rumors of Templar resurgence, and pressure to accept whatever deal offered by threatening to split their already weakened forces. Combined with his ability to "reset" anytime things don't go his way and you can see that Alexius would get them to agree eventually.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Geostomp posted:

He also infested the mages' ranks with his flunkies spreading pro-Tevinter propaganda, rumors of Templar resurgence, and pressure to accept whatever deal offered by threatening to split their already weakened forces. Combined with his ability to "reset" anytime things don't go his way and you can see that Alexius would get them to agree eventually.
But if you talk to people in Redcliffe nobody is happy with the alliance. There isn't one person who goes "yeah this is awesome!" Everyone is "what the gently caress was Fiona thinking these people are nuts." Alexius might be able to keep trying to get the mages to agree to an alliance, but the minute we show up and he's all "yeah I know I told you one thing but I'm going back on that and kids will get blown up in the army" she should have said gently caress You and Alexius wouldn't have had any recourse. What would he do, cry to Ferelden royalty? Start a war with his few lackeys against a couple hundred mages plus Inquisition forces?

IMO it would have been better writing if the mages were happy with the alliance and Alexius didn't immediately poo poo all over them so we felt like we really needed his cooperation/permission.

Also :tviv: I recorded the next big plot mission last night and I forgot how long it was. I'll probably have to split it into 3 updates.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Nobody but like one Mage we see in Redcliff (and I think she may be a Venatori agent spreading rumors and encouraging to take the deal) likes working with Vints, but they see no other alternative. You're not given a option to offer Fiona a better deal (at that point at least). And Fiona does say "gently caress this we want no part in this." But that's later (and imo, it would have been the perfect chance for her to throw Alexius across the room and you, her, and the Redciff Mages kick Alexius and the Venatori's butt instead of what happens in the mission and Alexius just limply accepting defeat).

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 1, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I think that the situation would seem better if it were shown that Alexius actually did have mage noncombatants under his "protection". That would justify everyone else being willing to tolerate him for a while in order to ensure their safety. As it is now, the mages do seem oddly passive about the people that they clearly do not trust at all even if they are desperate for support.

Eh, at least they're better than their Templar counterparts. "Huh, the boss is acting kinda weird recently and our officers are looking strangely red and crystalline after trying that new lyrium. Aw well, I'm sure it's nothing."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So when do you have to choose whether to pursue working with the mages or the templars? Did we already pass that? The mage path is certainly interesting, but I didn't see the Templar path so I was curious about that.

Also, regarding Agent stuff: If you bring Vivienne along to talk to the mage woman at the crossroads, you can ask her to convince the woman to join; so you don't need to be a mage or have the perk.

And that other guy you met and told him about the dead woman, that was a bit of a dirty trick by the game. Your response options are "Join the Inquisition" or "You failed her. Go home." The second one sounds like classic puppy-kicking rear end in a top hat option, but it's really misleading. If you tell him to Join the inquisition, he joins as an Agent in the Forces category. He's some type of lord, and if you tell him to "go home," you really say "there's nothing more you can do here. Go back and help your people" and he still becomes an Agent, except for Connections, I think it was.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schwartzcough posted:

So when do you have to choose whether to pursue working with the mages or the templars? Did we already pass that? The mage path is certainly interesting, but I didn't see the Templar path so I was curious about that.

The point of no return is when you hit the war table mission, which explicitly tells you that it locks in this choice.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, regarding Agent stuff: If you bring Vivienne along to talk to the mage woman at the crossroads, you can ask her to convince the woman to join; so you don't need to be a mage or have the perk.

And that other guy you met and told him about the dead woman, that was a bit of a dirty trick by the game. Your response options are "Join the Inquisition" or "You failed her. Go home." The second one sounds like classic puppy-kicking rear end in a top hat option, but it's really misleading. If you tell him to Join the inquisition, he joins as an Agent in the Forces category. He's some type of lord, and if you tell him to "go home," you really say "there's nothing more you can do here. Go back and help your people" and he still becomes an Agent, except for Connections, I think it was.

The game shows you two mutually exclusive missions that explicitly warn you that you will be prevented from doing the other if you pick one. Going to Redcliffe to meet the mages doesn't lock you in, it just gives you some background on the situation. Unfortunately, there isn't an equivalent mission for the Templars. After Val Royeau, you don't see any non-rabid Templars unless you do their mission.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
It's kinda funny just how well Sera and Cassandra get along during party banter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

grack posted:

It's kinda funny just how well Sera and Cassandra get along during party banter.

Sera has a serious crush on Cassandra.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

So does Butts! :swoon: Cassandra will also get nicer to Sera if you take them out more. She'll apologize for making fun of her or for being snooty.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Oh I know. It's funny running with Viv/Cass/Sera as a party because the banter goes all over the place between the three of them. Also Cass being mostly oblivious to Sera's attempts at flirting.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Torrannor posted:

It was the seat of the Maker and was basically heaven, where the virtuous souls went after death. But some Tevinter mages, encouraged by their gods, decided to enter the Fade physically to try to reach the Golden City, to become gods themselves. But the city turned black, they were cast out and became the first darkspawn. At least that's the story that the Chantry teaches, with clear Garden of Eden parallels.

Dragon Age 2 spoilers: You can actually speak to one of the original magisters in a previous game, and he said the city was already black when they entered it. The only thing we know is that the city is somehow in the center of the Fade (everybody who enters the Fade can see it on the horizon), it's black, and the magisters who tried to reach it came back as darkspawn. The rest is up in air, since we don't even know that there is a maker.

Edit: Spoilered DA2 things.

On the spoilers you mention, I read an interesting theory about that stuff.

Major DA2 and DA:I spoilers, in this link - discussing Red Lyrium, the Primeval Dwarf Thaig and how they might be connected to the Blights and Golden City. Forgive the tumblr link, but I've not seen it posted/discussed elsewhere. The theory seems sound to meat least, though I've not played DA:I, only Origins and 2.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
You guys don't have to spoiler poo poo from DA2. If that link you're posting has direct spoilers to stuff we haven't seen yet then just put a warning on it. Varric mentions red lyrium at the Temple in the second video so we know it's around. Next round of chatting with him we'll ask him about it directly so folks not in the know can get some background info.

tl;dr: It's bad, mmmkay

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You guys don't have to spoiler poo poo from DA2. If that link you're posting has direct spoilers to stuff we haven't seen yet then just put a warning on it. Varric mentions red lyrium at the Temple in the second video so we know it's around. Next round of chatting with him we'll ask him about it directly so folks not in the know can get some background info.

tl;dr: It's bad, mmmkay

Oh but it gives such a lovely piquant flavour to nugs or druffalo or whatever the hell people actually eat in Thedas

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

grack posted:

Oh but it gives such a lovely piquant flavour to nugs or druffalo or whatever the hell people actually eat in Thedas

They eat cheese, of course.

Smelly cheese from Orlais.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

So does Butts! :swoon: Cassandra will also get nicer to Sera if you take them out more. She'll apologize for making fun of her or for being snooty.

So do the iron bull and blackwall. Basically everyone hearts Cass.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Goddamnit

A short video in which all sorts of things broke. We chat with our advisers and get a little backstory. The next major plot mission is done with the thread's choice of Cassandra and Iron Bull joining us (the third party member is mandatory which is why we only had 2 companions to choose). It's a very long mission and I'll probably end up splitting it into 3 updates.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah, strange conversations and weird clipping issues. My last playthrough I was trying to fight the Highland Ravager (the hardest of the 10 high dragons) and I found it with it's head stuck in the wall and just... vibrating. That's my best so far.

Should've gotten a screenshot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Whoa

Things are happening! This choice between allying with the mages or the Templars doesn't have a huge impact on the plot itself, but it is the deciding factor for your post-game which is why I didn't put it up for a vote. Both choices result in pretty long missions. I think this particular one is more fun and makes more sense story-wise.

Turns out there's all sorts of weird poo poo going on and if we can't unfuck the situation the world is screwed. We learn a tiny bit about the major antagonist and get a glimpse of a very unpleasant future. I won't say much more than that until people have had a chance to watch the video. When we're all done I'll write a post about the other option in spoiler tags so people who haven't played the game won't get anything ruined unless they want to.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Let me just reiterate:
loving. Tevinter.

... Or rather, now that it's not longer spoilerish, loving. Venatori.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fiona is a moron

Edit: Also Dorian has terrible, terrible fashion sense.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 9, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

kaosdrachen posted:

Let me just reiterate:
loving. Tevinter.

... Or rather, now that it's not longer spoilerish, loving. Venatori.

look man, they just wanna be gods, that's not too bad and it's completely understandable. It's not like their last attempt at godhood created an endless army of orcs, resulting the in the basically obliteration of the dwarves and the resurrection of their dragon gods as mighty immortal demons or anything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I like the "Stop being a loving stereotype you moron" dude.

That book thingie says "He walked the Golden City" or something about the Elder One. (Spoilered guess) Is he one of those magister dudes you guys mentioned entering the Golden City and turning it black?

What does that red crystal poo poo do?

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 9, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

my dad posted:

Red lyrim does many things. All of them bad and most of them involving a quick departure from the lands of sanity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geostomp posted:

Red lyrim does many things. All of them bad and most of them involving a quick departure from the lands of sanity.

Basically? It's tiberium, or warpstone if you're a WHF fan.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Lyrium is nasty poo poo. It's a mineral mined by Dwarves who are resistant to it's effects, and worked by Dwarves or Tranquil. It's the basis of potions which can be used by mages to enhance their spellcasting (game effect: replenishes mana reserves) and it's the source of the templars ability to block magics. It's also used in the crafting of runes which make magical items.

It's also toxic, sanity-sapping, addictive, and is the sort of bad news you'd expect from pretty well anything magic and fade related in Thedas.

Red lyrium is worse. Regular (blue) lyrium will debilitate it's ingestor and erode their judgement if they aren't very careful about how much they ingest and how often. Think 'magical heroin'. Red lyrium can drive someone mad by mere proximity. A small idol made of the stuff was responsible for much of the poo poo that went down in Kirkwall back in Dragon Age 2. Just ask Varric about the stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And making matters even more fun, red lyrium is contagious. It was locked away deep underground, in a primeval dwarf ruin that predates any known dwarf civilization, until Hawke and friends brought some back to the surface. Now it's spreading, and no one has any idea how to stop it.

It's one of the lesser problems facing Thedas in Inquisition.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

my dad posted:

Is he one of those magister dudes you guys mentioned entering the Golden City and turning it black?

It's cannon that the Elder One was one of the magisters, but the other part is still up for debate. According to the Elder One the Golden City was already black when he and his other idiot buddies showed up.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 9, 2015

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

my dad posted:

I like the "Stop being a loving stereotype you moron" dude.
Yeah, that was a particularly well done "This poo poo right here is why we can't have nice things anymore" speech.

quote:

That book thingie says "He walked the Golden City" or something about the Elder One. (Spoilered guess) Is he one of those magister dudes you guys mentioned entering the Golden City and turning it black?

To sum up Fiona's explanation: First it drives you crazy, then it starts turning your tissues into more Red Lyrium while keeping you alive throughout the process, presumably -- or maybe hopefully -- until it spreads into your more vital organs.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Wow, The Iron Bull and Casandra are taking this whole thing way better than the characters I brought along (Blackwall and Sera). They seem to be on the "I just lost my job and my girlfriend broke up with me" levels of depression, and not "I'm half insane and dying of horror-fantasy cancer in an apocalyptic hellscape" levels of depression.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, The Iron Bull and Casandra are taking this whole thing way better than the characters I brought along (Blackwall and Sera). They seem to be on the "I just lost my job and my girlfriend broke up with me" levels of depression, and not "I'm half insane and dying of horror-fantasy cancer in an apocalyptic hellscape" levels of depression.

Cassandra adjust surprisingly quickly.

Iron Bull is just happy he gets to hit things again.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Can I just say the time-travel aspect really irked me? I can't even think of why, but when playing this mission, when I realized "we time traveled", it just pissed me off. I still can't put my finger on it, and I still don't like it.

But Dorian is cool.

Sidenote: why does Cullen say "we can't in good conscience order you to do this" before the quest? Why would he even issue us orders? Aren't we in charge of the Inquisition, or did I miss something?

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Not yet. We're just vitally important to the success of its current mission. There is no singular leader of the Inquisition at the current point in the story.

Yagyumi
Aug 26, 2013

Right! It's bonkin' time! I loves a bit of bonkin'!

drkeiscool posted:

Can I just say the time-travel aspect really irked me? I can't even think of why, but when playing this mission, when I realized "we time traveled", it just pissed me off. I still can't put my finger on it, and I still don't like it.

At first, I assumed they were just transported to another part of the castle (a sort of The Fade 2.0, or something) but nope. Time travel. I'm going along with it, but I agree it just feels... Out of place - and that's despite all the other crazy things I've seen throughout the first game and what I've seen here so far.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yagyumi posted:

At first, I assumed they were just transported to another part of the castle (a sort of The Fade 2.0, or something) but nope. Time travel. I'm going along with it, but I agree it just feels... Out of place - and that's despite all the other crazy things I've seen throughout the first game and what I've seen here so far.

I dunno, I think they set it up decently what with the whole "he's destroying the fabric of time!" shtick earlier.

That said there seems to be an astoundingly non zero percentage of people in the thread that didn't see this coming from a mile away :confused:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

That said there seems to be an astoundingly non zero percentage of people in the thread that didn't see this coming from a mile away :confused:

I was expecting the game to put us earlier in time, to the point where he first started trying to gently caress with the mages and before they'd actually agreed to anything.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Employee Appreciation Day

We found Leliana :dance: :stonk: And if this is what Solas means when he says "imagine a world without the veil," well he can gently caress right off.

It seems things aren't going so well for Alexius in the future. His time magic doesn't work before the breach was created and so the Elder One is rather upset. He's locked himself behind a special door and we have to murder our way through the castle to find the keys. Fine by me.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I think I figured it out:

Dragon Age has always been somewhat grounded. While there are some exceptions, the setting feels... normal? for lack of a better term. It's a good mix of low fantasy and heroic fantasy (DA:O with more heroic, DAII with more low), and even with magic and demons and stuff, it's stayed low key about it.

And then all of a sudden, we're time travelling.

I mean, seriously? Time travel? In Dragon Age? And the whole "bad future" and "back to our timeline" felt so cliche. It just completely took me out of the game, and whenever I would get back into it, some other Thing would happen that made me roll my eyes, and it all started with this mission.

But if it sounds like I'm pissing on the LP, I'm not; SubponticatePoster is doing a great job, so thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If this hasn't been mentioned yet, time travel is a BIG THING and you can follow that line in near future when you get to next chapter.

• Locked thread