Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I have a question about the Crashplan Family plan. I was thinking of signing up for it and then adding my family's computers (we all live seperately) but I'm kind of anxious. How exactly do files from each computer get organised? Is there a seperate directory for each computer on the plan, or is everything thrown into one directory as the clients see it? And presumably, other members with access to the account can delete my stuff, yes?

ConfusedUs posted:

Crashplan tends to freak out if your data size is large (over 2TB you're more or less guaranteed to have issues). Carbonite hates large file counts (several million) but size doesn't matter much. I'm not as familiar with Backblaze.

They all cost about the same and all have free trials, so give them a shot and see which works for you. Crashplan is my favorite of the three, but YMMV. Carbonite's support is way better than Crashplan's but their client lacks some of the features.

Could you elaborate a little more on what issues are likely? I don't have 2TB of stuff at the moment but my long term plan is to build a NAS and chuck my DVD collection on there amongst other things. Especially if I sign up for the family plan and get my sister involved we'll easily surpass 2TB without much effort. :ohdear:

Thirdly, is there any other service that does a family/multi-PC bundle? Crashplan's 10 device limit means I can do literally every device my direct family owns but if there's any alternatives out there for around the same price I'd be all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Peever posted:

...If you're the only one with access to the website you should be fine.

Perfect, that's good to know thanks.

ConfusedUs posted:

My experience both personal and amongst friends/internet buddies is that Crashplan really chokes speed- and stability- wise once you get a lot of data, more than about 2TB or so. There used to be a way to modify some registry keys to allocate more memory to Crashplan, which would usually help. Last I looked (~9 months ago) it was on their website.

Ah okay, so you're talking about the client rather than the back end storage, right? I'm the only person in my family likely to have that much data on one machine, but I don't wanna upload it and have it implode everybody's data. :ohdear:

So, my next dumb question, does anybody know if the FreeNAS client is similarly affected?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Alright sold, thanks for the help guys.

• Locked thread