Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ika posted:

So, any suggestions?
I don't know what SyncBack Free does in the background and whether it keeps a database of hashes or whatever. I know it compares tens of thousands of files in tens of seconds, which is probably all anyone should care about.

It'll do pretty much anything you could require from a syncing program and should IMO be the default recommendation where SyncToy is too simple and a specific need for a command line tool isn't present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

GuyGizmo posted:

And there's lots of software for cloning my drive, which I could do if there's no other viable option, but with drive cloning it's not feasible to do that daily, nor can it restore to a state from days past -- there'd only be one backup.
Not true. Acronis and the paid versions of Macrium Reflect can do differential or incremental cloning.

Which in essence means you have a base image and every new backup contains the difference with either the base image or the difference with the previous backup.

This allows you to keep the complete state of the machine at many different points in time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

GuyGizmo posted:

I'm wondering if it's worth switching to either of those, given your relatively glum outlook on them.
Despite me mentioning it earlier, Acronis is known to be crap, so don't bother with that at least. I haven't used Macrium Reflect apart from the occasional image with the free version, so I don't know how intrusive the regular backing up is or how good the scheduling is, sorry.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

OneDrive (and I'm guessing DropBox) in particular do not keep previous versions and sync in real time. Which means if you corrupt a file locally, that file will instantly be mirrored in the cloud with no way to recover a good version. You're somewhat protected from a device or drive instantly dying, but that's it. No protection against crypto-poo poo, no protection against user error, no protection against a slowly dying drive or faulty ram.

From what I'm reading Spideroak does keep a file history, so it can probably qualify properly as a backup.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Saw someone link Veeam Endpoint Backup in another thread here in SH/SC and it looks pretty good.

From looking here it seems to have that ol' Time Machine thing going where you can jump back to several different points in the past.

Question is, is it any good? Anyone know? They want me to make an account to download it, I want to know if it's worth bothering.

I dread switching over to yet another one though. I actually have several old Acronis Images lying around, as wel as Clonezilla and Macrium Reflect ones. Nothing important, but, poo poo, someone should write a conversion tool.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

SyncBack Free.

Saving on wear and tear with harddrives is barely a thing afaik.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Fartmaster posted:

Ah, that so? I got the idea from a friend, seemed to make sense.
Well, maybe for drives that are in heavy use 24h a day there's something measurable. But you're not going to see any increase in longevity for the drive going from monthly to, say, weekly syncs. Apart from the increased risk of you dropping it while you manipulate it, maybe.

But it's a bit of a hassle, I get it, with a usb drive. Which is the main reason I got a NAS. So sick and tired of juggling external drives and not having up to date copies of my files because I was too lazy about it all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

fatman1683 posted:

Another Crashplan refugee here. Like a lot of people I have my home systems backing up to a local server, then from there to Crashplan. I'm looking at replacing the local portion with Veeam, but I can't tell if the free Windows backup agent comes with any kind of centralized management.
You can backup to a managed repository with it, but you can't manage anything from the free client itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Welp, I dumped the Veeam Enpoint Backup free client. The old version I was on for nearly two years would take 30-45 minutes to push out the daily incremental for the full system backup of my Surface. I was on the old client because at some point a newer version failed to complete any backup whatsoever. A couple of weeks ago, I updated to the current client and now you need to enter the administrator password several times if you want to dismiss warnings while logged in as a standard user. It will also always issue an "aborted due to low battery" warning when unplugged, even if the battery is fully charged. And then have proceeded to backup anyway. Good thing is the incremental backups only last ten minutes. Bad thing is that when wifi goes out or if I put the Surface to sleep while the backup is running, it is likely to leave my Synology nas in such a state that unplugging and replugging the power is the only way to ever get access to it again. Also, if you don't do that, all subsequent backups fail.

Some of that may be a consequence of my particular setup (underpowered nas), but I'm sick of dealing with it. Particularly the overburdening the cpu of my nas to the point where it can't be accessed through the network anymore due to an interrupted backup isn't acceptable by any metric. The old client handled this fine (ie didn't kill the nas and picked up the pieces of the interrupted backup).

I installed Synology's Cloud Sync Backup instead. I lose the bare metal restore option, but I gain that my personal files are backed up more or less in real time, with versioning I can configure. It seems to work so far.

• Locked thread