Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I went the NAS+Crashplan route. My combined archives just broke 1.2TB, so I'm curious to know what issues people are seeing above the 2TB mark.

One thing I appreciate about Crashplan's backup offering vs. Carbonite or Backblaze is the availability of a Linux client and their support for (or indifference toward) backing up network shares. The Linux client makes no distinction between network shares and local directories, so it's as easy as installing the Crashplan service on a Linux host, mapping your NAS over SMB or NFS, and setting it up in the Crashplan application as a backup set.

You can do the same thing on the Windows client but it involves a workaround, i.e. mounting the share under the SYSTEM account.

Backup sets are another plus for me - you can specify different sets of folders to back up, each with its own priority, scan interval, backup period, etc. I've got a set for personal documents with highest priority and a 15-minute rescan time, another set for media with slightly lower priority and an hourly rescan time, and VMs with the lowest priority and daily rescan. The app is incredibly flexible.

I used to have pretty shoddy performance backing up to their cloud - 2-3Mbps tops on what was at the time a 10Mbps upstream connection - but they've made great strides in the last year with their network and mid-2014 I started getting the full 10Mbps up. Now on my new ISP I can push 500Mbps during the day with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread