Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Shy

Shy tells mayrbear to check out the goat and fish. She learns their foul odor and helps him.

idk what skill: 1d20 8 I get anywhere from -1 to +6 to the roll depending on what skill it calls. Otherwise I'll just assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
"Gods man, what is wrong with you? Don't feed mutant fish to goats. Do you want to get mutant goats? Because that's how you get mutant goats." He is willing to spend some time checking out whatever the deal is with these fish and the impact upon the goat. One of the better advantages that he has is literally being able to ask the goat about how he's feeling.
pre:
Survival 24
Medicine (goat) 20
Speak with animals on the goat as well.
[2/2] 1d8: Bardic Inspiration / Cutting Words
Rituals: Speak With Animals / Animal Messenger / Locate Animals or Plants / Leomund's Tiny Hut
Items: Medallion of thoughts (1/3) / Healing kit (1,000/1,000)
Other: Hit Dice (6d8 / 6d8) / Inspiration / Concentration
Passive: Perception (20: smell) and (15: other) / Investigation (11)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Trip Upriver

Cel is a bit surprised by the offer, and takes you to his home, real quick, putting you an hour behind schedule but shows you what fish he still has, and his goat. The goat is chewing on a fish right now, without much in the way of care.

Careful inspection of the not yet eaten fish, and the goat, indicates the goat seems fine, if a bit annoyed at people poking at it while it is trying to eat. Which is confirmed when Michael goes about talking to it, the fish tastes a bit odd, but not so much to put off the goat's appetite, and it is no tougher or nastier than other things the goat is willing and able to eat.

The fish on the other hand seems perfectly fine, for the most part. A few things look off, unnatural, and such. But what really stands out is that the fish seems to have drowned. Closer inspection reveals that the gills seem to have changed such that they are no longer able to breathe water.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shy

When he says he lives an hour away Shy says gently caress it and waterwalks everyone and their horses and they start the journey.

Again.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Trip Upriver

Okay ignore all that stuff about the fish.

Shy performs a ritual and soon the horses, and their riders, find themselves able to walk on water. It does take some time to convince the horses to actually walk on the water. But after awhile you are on your way. The group follows the river, literally upon the river, throughout the day. Periodically Shy will take her attention away from leading her horse to renew the ritual, but the journey seems fairly calm and uneventful. Periodically the wind stops, and you realize that had you been on the ferry some of you would likely need to have rowed.

Part way through the day you leave the river to stop for a short repast before returning to the river. The trip has been surprisingly calm and boring. As evening begins to descend Shy, Kur'Kesh, and Michael notice a few changes. Relatively minor changes, but various things don't look quite like they should for the area. Eventually the group grows hungry again, and night begins to fall, and so once more they leave the river to make camp.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay it has been nearly 2 days since the last post. Is anyone going to post? Especially those who haven't been posting?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
As the group leaves the river to make camp, Michael does some math in his head. "So, that other boat had a head start on us, of about a day and a half..." He draws a map of the area in the ground with a stick, tracking their path and that of the river. "A river boat travels upstream at about one-and-a-half miles per hour. It might be able to travel all day if they have enough people willing to row, but we can probably assume they aren't rowing at night when everyone is asleep. So that's sixteen hours a day of travel at one-and-a-half miles per hour, for about twenty-four miles per day." He shrugs, "So before we started, they had about a thirty-six-mile head start."

He pauses, considering the horses, "Meanwhile, although we haven't been pushing our mounts dangerously, we've been going at a fairly fast clip, to what I would estimate is about four miles per hour. If we travel at that pace going forward, we'll cover about thirty-two miles for every eight hours of travel. We should take a break of a similar length to let the horses rest, but at that pace we should catch up to the other boat pretty soon."
pre:
Some related math...
 - A rowboat travels at 1.5 miles per hour.
 - Mounts don't travel any faster than humans in increments greater than one hour.
 - Traveling at a 'fast' pace provides a speed of 4 miles per hour.
 - The 'travel pace' rules make it pretty much impossible to travel for much more than 8 hours per day.

So, we end up with...
Enemy boat starting position = 1.5mph * [16h (1 day) + 8h (0.5 day)] = 36 miles
Enemy boat movement = 1.5mph * 8h (0.5 day) = 12 miles
Party movement = 4mph * 8h (1 day) = 32 miles
Distance to enemy = 16 miles
Distance gained per hour of mutual travel = 2.5 miles

Next steps...
In order to catch up with the enemy boat tonight, we would need to push our mounts 
for four hours to catch up with them.  That's five horses who would need to make
a series of DC 10+1, DC10+2, DC10+3, and DC10+4 constitution saves. Which they
aren't likely to all make, unfortunately.

However, since horses don't actually travel faster than humans over long distances,
the other option is for us to continue on foot, abandoning the horses.  Since we haven't
been walking (as we have been riding), we would begin our eight hour travel counter,
and at a fast pace would be able to catch up with the boat while it is moored for the night.

Alternatively, if we wait for the horses to rest, we'll catch up with the boat tomorrow somewhere
around the middle of the day.
After taking a bit of time to scratch a reasonably accurate map of the area into the ground, Michael points to a bend in the river, "I'd expect the other boat is somewhere around there right about now, and are probably getting ready to moor themselves for the night. If we take off on foot, we can probably catch up with them around midnight. It's unlikely they'd be expecting an attack, particularly not one that comes from their wake in the river, and good luck spotting five people on foot approaching your boat from the water in the black of night." He inquires, "So, ...commando mission, anyone?"
pre:
If we go this route I'll cast pass without trace as we sneak up on the boat, about
twenty minutes before we reach the area where I've calculated it should be moored.

We would presumably want to head there by traveling at a fast pace for 3.5 hours,
to cover 14 miles.  And then ease into the last remaining two miles at a slow pace
for an hour, in order to be able to use stealth.
Rituals: Speak With Animals / Animal Messenger / Locate Animals or Plants / Leomund's Tiny Hut

Waador fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 15, 2015

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Rose Malcer

HP45/45, AC16, hit dice6/6

----

"Well neither Stalth or aquatic missions are my strong point but I'll definitely try to help where I can." Rose replied stroking Strigoili "although perhaps it would be wise to test the water for hidden threats before we start worrying about enemy craft and the like.".

Attempting to have my cat familiar smell the water for any sign of those weird fish 18 and 23

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Samash

52 / 52 HP, AC 16, 6 hit dice, 4 Superiority Dice

===

Samash doffs his chain mail in preparation for having to do some sneaking about. He has no real experience in it, but he knows enough at least to figure that clinking around in armor is far too conspicuous.

In the meantime Samash will be at AC 13

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shy

Shy retroactively buys her super smash brother from another mother some studded leather armor. "Happy birthday."

45gp puts me at 649gp. With this and your 18 dex you'll be at 16 AC again and not at disadvantage to stealth.

"Let's finish them tonight." Is her vote.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 15, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
Michael is dumbstruck when the druid provides the gift to Samash, commenting, "drat! I, uhh, well I got him one of those, too. I guess I can just return it when we get back to town." He sighs, kicking a rock, "Had it gift-wrapped and everything, too. We should coordinate better next year, I guess."

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kur'Kesh

"I am prepared to assault the enemy vessel with all the subtlety of an armored man-bear, whenever you lot are ready!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Trip Upriver

Rose sends Strigoili off to search for unusual fish, and such. Strigoili sniffs about for a bit, though it is kind of difficult to smell things under water. Still the cat manages to smell various fishy smells. Fish, octopuses (I feel like that should be octopii but spellcheck doesn't like it), crabs and other sea life. Some of them smell a little strange, but not overpoweringly so. Leaving the horses behind the group continues forward at a good pace, marching across the water, intending to catch up with the boat before it makes it to the island.

After about an hour of travel on the river Shy and Michael begin to notice some rather significant visible changes. The changes have gone from oddly shaped plants or plants not normally found in this area to bright turquoise leaves on trees and plants with fruit that grow upside down, dangling from the tops of branches towards the sky. Squirrels, the size of domestic cats, chase one another up and down trees—natural behavior but definitely not naturally sized.

Also gradenko_2000 looking at Samash's sheet again, your strength and dexterity modifiers look wrong. 16 should give you +3, 18 should give you +4.

quote:

<Ryuujin> also gradenko has dex listed as 18 and modifier as +3, which is uh
<Dawnfiend> Did he spend both fighter feats on +2 dex or something
<Dawnfiend> I guess I don't see any feats on his sheet
<slydingdoor> 18; +3 DEX (14 base + 4 Ability Score Improvement)
<slydingdoor> so yeah
<slydingdoor> 16; +2 STR (12 base + 2 racial )
<slydingdoor> should be 14 str

And while I had this partially worked on, before posting it, people have posted ways to get around it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Samash

52 / 52 HP, AC 16, 6 hit dice, 4 Superiority Dice

===

Samash gives Shy a smart salute; "you work faster than the logisticians, that's for sure!"

He's later unsettled by the changes in the environment. He remembers catching rabbits and other rodents to supplement half rations on forced marches. That these wildlife here could replace the rations entirely is ... definitely odd.

He continues moving with the group.

Ryuujin posted:

Also gradenko_2000 looking at Samash's sheet again, your strength and dexterity modifiers look wrong. 16 should give you +3, 18 should give you +4.

Thank you, nice catch - I had actually got all the rest of the sheet set-up correctly but for those two numbers specifically. I've corrected it now, but no other changes near as I can tell.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
"We can't stop here ...it's squirrel cat country." Michael remains focused on the goal of reaching the boat.

As they travel, Michael nibbles on some of the rations which he purchased, and drinks some of the water which he brought. "We should definitely not drink the water while we're vacationing here."

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 16, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Trip Upriver

Not about to be deterred by cat sized squirrels, strange colored leaves, and fruit that seems to be effected by reverse gravity, the group pushes on. Their steps continue to pitter patter quietly upon the water as they continue to close in on the previous boat. Things remain fairly quiet for another hour, though the changes in plants and animals nearby continue to grow weirder. After about an hour of continued marching the island comes into sight as you come around a bend in the river. The island is a little over a mile ahead and you can easily make out the dark shape of the pyramid rising from verdant foliage. It seems you, and the boat you were hunting, made better time than you thought. Without warning, the water surrounding your feet roils and churns as a bright green tentacle reaches out of the water towards you.

Kur'Kesh is preternaturally ready for the surprise attack, and his blade warns you all of danger. Michael is also quite ready for battle.

Okay for the moment theater of the mind. You are all standing on the water, as green tentacles reach for you.

Initiative
25 Kur'Kesh :rolldice:
22 Michael Haggaran :rolldice:
20 Giant Octopuses
18 Samash
11 Shy
05 ???
03 Rose

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
Michael frowns. "This is the worst. Tentacles literally everywhere, and we haven't even gotten our feet wet yet." He laughs. "Hah! Did you see what I did there?", he asks Kur'Kesh.

Concerned about the tentacles and their dangerous intent, Michael takes a deep breath and dives underneath the water to meet the threat head-on, grabbing a pair of octopii by their heads. Heaving with a terrible force, he kicks off the riverbed and launches himself back atop the water, where he resurfaces and clambers to his feet beside Rose with one of the creatures in each of his hands, both flailing wildly and desperately. He performs this action so fluidly, and so calmly, that he seems for all the world like some kind of terrifying, legendary fisherman.
pre:
Move:   10' underwater to get within reach of the octopii.
Action: Attack (multi-attack)
         #1 - Grapple vs. Octopus #1 (Athletics 28)
         #2 - Grapple vs. Octopus #2 (Athletics 28)
Move:   30' to return to the surface, dragging the octopii, and ending beside Rose.
Reminder that I am large in size so they don't automatically win an escape attempt.
After heaving the creatures into the air, Michael stares both of them in the eyes, and comments, "You guys had better settle the gently caress down."

Waador fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 16, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Trip Upriver

Michael dives into the water, grabbing first one then another octopus. Though in the process he sees something else.

What appears to be a single, odd-looking fish soon turns out to be hundreds upon hundreds of tiny, odd-looking fish—each with rows of wickedly sharp teeth. However, their resemblance to fish is in general shape alone. As they draw nearer, you realize that each of the fish are covered in a variety of different colored and textured scales and some even bear fur or what appear to be feathers.

He passes through the fish in the process of grabbing the second octopus, and they bite and chew at him, but cannot harm his mayoral flesh.

Okay. Yeah. No way they can beat that. Also was thinking your action would provoke an AoO, but does it matter when they litterally cannot harm you?

Initiative
25 Kur'Kesh :rolldice:
22 Michael Haggaran
20 Giant Octopuses (3)
18 Samash
11 Shy
05 Swarm of quippers (3)
03 Rose

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kur'Kesh

"Mmmm...seafood, fantastic!" Kur'Kesh licks his lips as the tentacles break the water's surface, his blades already drawn in response to the magical alert.

He let loose a bellowing roar, lunging forward in a flash!
pre:
Move: Toward a mass of tentacles.

Action: Attack (2 attacks)
     Longsword vs Octopus: 27, 10 damage. 
          Menacing Maneuver: +2 damage, Save vs Frightened (Wis, DC 15)
          Crit!: 11 damage, total damage for Attack 1 = 23.

Longsword vs Octopus: 17, 10 damage.
          (if attack hit) Menacing Maneuver: +8 damage, Save vs Frightened (Wis, DC 15)

Bonus: TWF Attack
     Longsword vs Octopus: 26, 5 damage.
           (if attack hit) Menacing Maneuver: +5 damage, Save vs Frightened (Wis, DC 15)

Move: Reposition between the Octopus Kurk's been slashing at and the others, if there's movement left.
"Haha, indeed Mr. Mayor! Perhaps we should tread carefully!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Trip Upriver

Kur'Kesh lashes out at the tentacles flailing near him, dicing them into ribbons. Soon the water is bloodied with octopus blood, and the wounded beast lashes about in pain and terror. It then shoots away through the water, fleeing the bear that walks like a man's blades. The other two octopuses try and turn things around on Michael, hoping to return to the water and drag him with them. They flail about. But Michael has them quite in hand.

So one octopus flees, using the Disengage action, because it is down to 1 hp and is frightened of Kur'Kesh.

The other two try to grapple with Michael, and uh get a 4 and 5 respectively. This is half, or less, the bonus Michael has on his rolls. Since Michael literally can't get below an 11 they have no chance.

Initiative
25 Kur'Kesh
22 Michael Haggaran
20 Giant Octopuses (2) grappled and holding their breath
18 Samash :rolldice:
11 Shy :rolldice:
05 Swarm of quippers (3)
03 Rose

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
Michael laughs heartily at the creatures, albeit without malice, and clearly endeavoring to encourage them in their pursuit of physical perfection. "Keep trying, little buddies! You'll get there one day!"
pre:
Athletics (opposed) of 12 and 26 respectively.
He beseeches Kur'Kesh, "They know not what they do! We must drive them off, but it would be cruel to kill them! Something is clearly impairing their judgment!"

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 17, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shy

Shy breathes paralytic dragon magic over the octopuses. "This isn't a safari, throw those harmless creatures back and let's continue after the cultists."

DC 14 or 1minute paralyzed, repeat the save at the end of each of its turns. Whether it sticks or not this fight is pointless, they can't even damage half of us.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Samash

52 / 52 HP, AC 16, 6 hit dice, 3/4 Superiority Dice

===

Bracing his crossbow on his shoulder, Samash calls out to Haggaran; "Punch it! Punch it hard, sir!"

His crossbow bolt flies straight and true. He's not really aiming to kill the things, but it's not like he has dull-edged bolts, and anyway having to travel through water should slow it down enough that maybe it won't be lethal. And then the mayor can just box the unfortunate creatures to subnmission.

Move: Swim to within range of octopi still engaged with Michael

Normal Action: Shoot my heavy crossbow at one of the octopi
Attack roll against an octopus: 1d20+9 26 Hit for (1d10+4) 11 damage

Bonus Action: Replace the second attack roll with Commander's Strike
Commander's Strike: 1d8 5
Michael Haggaran can use his Reaction to make another attack with an additional 5 damage

OOC: Since people can only do 1 Reaction per turn, I thought it might not be proper to just assume Michael will use it. Can we work out something? I cannot shoot my crossbow twice in the same round anyway since it's a Loading weapon

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC

quote:

I am probably better off not benefiting from Commander' Strike long-term, as I have the Sentinel feat, which allows me to take a reaction to hit a thing if a creature attacks someone other than me when I threaten said creature. In that context either Kur'Kesh or Shy are probably a better beneficiary of Commander's Strike.
Although his arms are literally full of tentacles, Michael reacts, head-butting the octopus that Samash has assailed with a crossbow.
pre:
Reaction:  Attack (Commander's Strike) [Headbutt]
   Hit - 15
   Damage - 18 (non-lethal)
   Critical - 9 (non-lethal)
Critical damage added in, in case they are paralyzed from the breath weapon.

Waador fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 17, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Trip Upriver

One of the octopuses stops moving, gone rigid in Michael's hands. The other thrashes about trying to escape. It soon becomes apparent that they really have no chance of escaping, and the fish nipping at his heels accomplish little to nothing. Perhaps they could get something to eat off the others, but even they soon realize that they have bit off more than they can chew and flee. Leaving just the octopuses in Michael's hands.

So how long do you hold them? Do you attempt to kill them or release them? How much time are you spending at this?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
As a long-time supporter of the Phlan SPCA, having provided considerable donations in both charity and in deeds over the years, Michael has no intention of needlessly killing these relatively innocent creatures. Perhaps they were just hungry. Or perhaps the madness of the pyramid had afflicted them in some manner. Either way, he gives them both a few headbutts for good measure in order to knock them out, and then returns the octopi to their native habitat. On the whole situation, he comments, "Weird."
pre:
Non-lethal knock-out headbutts for the octopi and we're on our way, I suppose.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Walk in the Forest

Michael headbutts the octopuses then throws them back. With the ineffectual attack by the creatures dealt with the group pushes on. It is not much longer, perhaps an hour, before they reach the shore. The gentle slope of the sand-and-rock-strewn shore leads up to an area of verdant growth. The pyramid towers over the island. Tarnish has turned the north and south sides black. Surprisingly you do not see any sign of the other ship. Perhaps something happened to them? Or perhaps Cel was mistaken on when they would arrive?

Finding the pyramid is not difficult, it kind of sticks out, but you quickly find that small plants and shrubs snap at anything that passes. Eating flies, small animals, and trying to bite you. Still it isn't all that difficult to avoid them. However the longer you walk the more Michael and Kur'Kesh feel. You don't know what it is, but something about the island seems to be effecting you. All that strange magic or something.

Not far from shore there is a large hole about eight feet wide. A trail of trampled vegetation leads from the hole to the pyramid. Whatever created the hole left a passable tunnel approximately 5 feet in diameter.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
Michael approaches the hole, smells it, and then sticks his head inside to get a better look.
pre:
Perception (smell) 16
Perception (other) 17

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Walk in the Forest

Michael sniffs and looks around, not really noticing anything unusual. Well except for the big hole of course. He pokes his head in the opening and sees that whatever created the hole left a passable tunnel approximately 5 feet in diameter. From where he is looking it seems as if following the tunnel leads in a northward direction for approximately 100 feet before turning to the west.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
While raising an eyebrow quizzically, he comments to the group, "Hmmmmmmmmmmm."

He then begins a breathing technique which he knows to be effective in allowing him to understand the hearts and minds of animals. And also sea captains, for some reason.
pre:
Enacting a speak with animals ritual.
I'll chat up a few of the critters in the area about this hole, their day, and such.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Walk in the Forest

Michael stops to talk to the animals of the area, it is not an easy task, but eventually he gets some of them to stop and speak to him. From what they pass on to him he gathers some large worm thing, not quite as tall as he is, went through the plant-life, leaving the hole, and that a bunch of small figures, a lot of them, went through. Along with a couple of people more like Michael's size. Or well maybe not Michael's size, maybe like Rose, maybe even Shy or Samash.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Samash

52 / 52 HP, AC 16, 6 hit dice, 3/4 Superiority Dice

===

Samash would like to examine the hole closely to see how it was made. Drilled? Bashed? Clawed? Carefully? Forcefully?

Not sure what skill you would/could assign to this, but I did get a 3, so it might not matter

Skill check to inspect the hole: 1d20 3

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It would be Investigation or Perception. Sadly adventures seem to go back and forth on which skill they want for that kind of thing. Either way a 3 isn't going to find anything that a 16 or 17 didn't.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
Michael eventually returns from his parley with the friends of the forest, offering, "It sounds as if the hole itself was made by a rather large worm, about as tall as I am. It was followed by a bunch of small figures, as well as a few people of human size."
pre:
Did they offer a directionality to it?
Specifically did they go from the hole to the pyramid or vice versa?
He shrugs, "I guess they were using the beast to tunnel, and also to dig through the vegetation between here and the pyramid."

Waador fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 20, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The critters saw the worm, directed by one of the others, head into the plant wall and burrow through it, with the others following, heading toward the pyramid.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Michael Haggaran

45/45 HP // 15 AC
Michael reaches into his medical bag, retrieving a dose of ginseng-infused moisturizer. Unscrewing the cap, he begins to grease up his body while commenting to the others, "Time to go deep." Once fully covered in the lubricating gel, he slips into the hole with ease.
pre:
Athletics 26 to climb down the hole.
Knowledge (nature) 14 vs. what kind of creature dug the hole.
Knowledge (investigation) 20 to find footprints or other signs of passage.
Survival 19 to estimate the size of the group, and the type of creatures based on any footprints.
Perception (smell) 15 / (other) 10 vs. anything requiring active perception.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Walk in the Forest

Michael squeezes into the hole, carefully inspecting it further to get an idea of what went before. He finally notices a small footprint, barely visible even to his specialized senses. He determines it belongs to a kobold. He can't quite figure out what made the hole, it is almost on the tip of his tongue, but just barely eludes him. After finally spotting the kobold print he does a more careful inspection, and figures that more than three dozen creatures have passed through, though it is a bit difficult to determine exact numbers since the biggest print is clearly the hole itself.

A scent reaches his nose, even as his ears pick up a sound, and Kur'Kesh picks up similar signals. And of course Kur'Kesh's blade rings to warn of danger. As Michael's head enters the hole he spots a man coming out, dressed for combat and pulling free a spear. He comes forth, reading for combat, spear and shield ready to deal with the mighty mayor Michael.

Meanwhile outside the hole Kur'Kesh picks up on the quiet sound of wings beating, looking up three kobolds approach. Through the air. They seem to have wings, and are pulling free rocks.

Initiative
23 Kur'Kesh :rolldice:
22 Rose :rolldice:
17 Samash :rolldice:
16 Shy :rolldice:
15 Winged Kobolds (3) about 30 feet up
14 Michael
08 Gladiator

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Samash

52 / 52 HP, AC 16, 6 hit dice, 2/4 Superiority Dice

===

Samash positions himself near the hole, rears up with his crossbow and lets loose with a bolt, aiming for the closest Kobold.

He then gestures to Shy to ready a shot with a sling - they're flying, so they need to be brought down.

Move to try to gain some distance from the Kobolds if possible

Basic Attack as a Normal Action, with a roll of 28, and damage of 14 if it hits.

Replacing the second Basic Attack with a Commander's Strike as a Bonus Action. Shy can use a Reaction to make a Basic Attack with a +8 on the damage roll.

Basic Attack with Heavy Crossbow: 1d20+9 28 1d10+4 14
Commander's Strike: 1d8 8

OOC: I'd like to clarify exactly how/when I'm supposed to be regenerating Superiority Dice with your houserules

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A Walk in the Forest

Samash takes aim and takes a kobold down like it is a simple matter. The body spirals down, splatting where Samash once stood. His tremendous shot gives Shy an opportunity to take advantage of the shock the kobolds are currently experiencing.

Okay for now I am going to have them regenerate one a round. I might up it for fighters. But that is still a tremendous increase compared to how it works now in the game.

And holy poo poo those rolls. The d20 was one off from max, and the other two were max. And so yeah 28 easily hits, I am not sure off hand if anything in the game has a better AC than 28. 14 damage is enough to kill the kobold as well.

Initiative
23 Kur'Kesh :rolldice:
22 Rose :rolldice:
17 Samash
16 Shy :rolldice:
15 Winged Kobolds (2) about 30 feet up
14 Michael
08 Gladiator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Rose Malcer

HP45/45, AC16, hit dice6/6

----

"You go in and see how Michel's doing Strigoli I'll be with you in just a moment.".

Having my cat familiar move to assist Michel and shooting eldritch blasts at the two remaining kobolds one for each attack rolls are 10 and 23 and damage dice are 8 and 3 +4 making them 12 and 7

edit: Forgot to include agonizing blast damage.
edit 2: yes using help to give Michel advantage.

Monk E fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 22, 2015

• Locked thread