Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I'll have something up later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Chief Conciliator Amerigo Hieronymus

"God was the dream of good government"

After centuries of intermittent warring and nigh-theatrical staged fights between hired mercenary armies, the wealthy maritime city states of Transoceania demonstrated their superior civility to their neighbors by willingness to put ancient blood feuds aside for the purpose of making even more money. A hotbed of republican sentiment (even if that often only meant they preferred their overlords to be New Money rather than inbred.), these micronations had seen the rise of modern knowledge, engineering, and arts, primarily in the fields of understanding, advancing, and glorifying the killing of your fellow man, respectively. A conclave of representatives from each city reached an agreement for the creation of an impartial organization to help mitigate the extremes of petty, armed squabbling. Building up for war is good for business, actually going around burning your customer base to the ground isn't.

Thus was formed the Consilitorium of Transoceania, a gathering of the greatest military and scholarly minds of the Ten Cities. Seeking to end the chaos caused by roving mercenary armies preying on inter-state hostilities and a standardization of trade laws, it rapidly grew into the main source of infrastructure construction, policing, and circuit courts of the land. For a brief time, it looked like the mistakes of the past had been left behind.

Betrayal: As stability and prosperity made tenuous inroads across the land, the people slowly began to conceive of themselves as a nation. However, powerful interests began to bide their time; using the influence of the Concilatorium, Doge Gorganth IV made a bold move, allying with one of the factions and several of the most powerful cities, he intimidating the lesser ones to concede to his authority. The ideals of the Conciliators had been violated, their purpose was a joke. The remnants either gave up and joined the Doge's government in an attempt to mitigate the damage, others resigned, disgusted with what they saw as moral cowardice.

Amerigo Hackberry is one such idealist. The son of a printer and lawyer, he had been educated from early childhood in literary, law, and the inherent superiority of Republican traditions. Accumulating several degrees in Statecraft and Natural Science, he was among the youngest of those accepted into the ranks of the early Consilitorium. Working to maintain a steadfastly neutral position in the upcoming war, he sought to mitigate the damage it would do locally. Now, with his home city under despotic rule and his cherished legal traditions tossed aside in favor of the despotism of one man, Amerigo has headed out into the world, to spread his captive nations' ideals, offering unique services as a mercenary administrator and adjutant. He's from a non-existant Government, and he's here to help.

[The Tactica Transoceania +2] Is a condensed, well indexed collection of legal tomes, tactical manuals, scientific charts as well as all around sage advice for raising and running an organization, militant or civil. Included are blueprints for basic technologies and structures suitable to bringing civilization to the hinterlands. Said to be knowledge gleaned from the gods themselves, it contains such helpful tips as; "Aquaducts to bring in clean water, pg XXXVI, Vol III." "Do not defecate where you eat, pg LXVII, Vol XI." "How I learned to stop worrying and love the Kinetic Boiling Tar Launcher, Vol I, Pg III"

[Tired, so Tired -2] One of the downsides of attempting to help others is all the times you fail and make the situation worse. Some of the lads need basic instruction in very basic things. When you tell them to go help build an orphanage that does not mean go make enough orphans to fill it up. It can be quite a lot to handle, and Amerigo finds his emotional and mental endurance slipping away at times.

The Troops With armor and helmets painted the same Azure color as the Consilitorium's heraldry, the Pax Militant are the remnants of the soldiers, engineers, and traveling scholars Amerigo could convince to leave with him. A highly eclectic bunch, they contain some of the most intense of the Republican Nationalists exiled from their homes, in addition there's more than a few former mercenaries put out of work by the very organization they are now employed by. Education in empathy is an ongoing effort.

Well, closer to:

Goals in Game: I'd definitely like to stabilize the political situation and play peacemaker.

Additionally when this inevitably fails I want to hit people until they behave. (This may end with him scrawling EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES on an obelisk somewhere).

Also I'd like to opt out of Rising style mutation of my PC if at all possible.

*In case it wasn't clear "Republican" here is used in its classical definition of rule by non-noble interests (specifically renaissance era trade republics), not fat and old dudes angry about gay marriage. I know this supposes several things about the relative development of the planet, I can tone it down if need be.

Also, tried searching for a more fantasy version of character image, but its hard to find "Fantasy rockwell"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 7, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

You're all going to end up being subprograms in a Terminator's CPU anyway

a terminator turned into a social democrat, yes. Its like a reverse I Have no Mouth, we're not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with us.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Initial Analysis, global figures of note: posted:

Daimyo Tadasu Hayashi -. Guile and rhetoric is not the same as leadership. Propaganda and trickery is not administration. Terror and fear is not loyalty.

Queen Victaria Caspiel - If we can get them to listen while they're young, they can avoid making the same mistakes as those who came before.

Sun Shahar - I've dealt with poo poo-flinging primates my entire life, metaphorically or otherwise.

Bjorn Olofson - I see a reformer and a hero here, if we can make him believe that he can lead in ways that don't involve mountains of skulls.

Tangan Ombak - Naval power is the key to ensuring trade and prosperity. We can give him a hand in understanding that exchange involves more than theft.

Anselm the Black - Integrity is not just what you're willing to do, but what you will not. Without it, you can always justify whatever your actions are. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. And corpses, lots of corpses.

Ehecamini - Freedom of conscience is as important as physical freedom. The Will of the Gods is only a benevolent as the person interpreting it.

Aiden Beirne - Fire is the cornerstone of civilization. It can also be its destroyer. As laudable as his goals are, without self control he's going to leave nothing but ashes behind.

Zaffi Manda - Once a swamp is drained and the wild animals on it driven off, it finally becomes suitable for civilization.

Karin Handel - In a world of ultraviolent psychopaths, a mere amoral plutocrat is downright refreshing. Makes me homesick.

Etel - Non sedentary raiders can be one of the biggest drains on manpower and wealth. If we support this proxy agent, it might buy us some time before he comes looking for us.

Jurou Mori - Holy loving poo poo.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 18, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

^ I'm pretty sure I could have gone the rest of my life without reading the phrase "anal leaden death".

I don't think I want to visit the monkey king's magical realm.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Should have a post later today, hopefully.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

Should have a post later today sometime monday afternoon, US time.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

:supaburn: Job interview and test today, sorry for the delays thus far guys, still serious about this game.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Good.

Inteview went well. Post should be incoming.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Thanks man. Update incoming (for realz this time) since I'm finally back, trying to beat zombie's (very generous) deadline.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah. Some good news for once.

Platonicsolid or ForeverBWFC, if you want to RP a conversation, I can do this in IRC (preferred) or back and forth via PM if you want.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Sure whenever you're ready. I'm gonna be away on IRC for the next few hours but I'm good for PM whenever.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hey, sorry for missing you today. Same bat-time tommorow?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Karin mentioned guns existing and it steamrolled from there. These are obviously matchlocks and mid-renaissance stuff, but still, I apologize if this shifts things too radically. (It is in keeping with the Trading cultures on the coasts having access to...i'm not going to say higher technology, but when you've got a lot of medium sized, wealthy states like Transoceana fighting for any little bit of advantage, it tends to result in a lot of their intellectual effort focused on inventing and refining new ways to kill people.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 1, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

They have to be held steady and go out if you move too much so uh, bows may be your best bet for some time to come. Also powder blasts singe things like hair which might translate into a bird dude, covered completely in feathers, bursting into flame like a (in)human torch.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Will post saturday.

• Locked thread