Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

You looked down at your feet, and saw the ocean waves lazily lapping against them, feeling the sand squeeze between your toes. The smell of salt in the air, and the gentle roar of distant waves felt distant, as you continued to walk out into the sea.

It was the dream again. You had experienced this many times throughout your life, but now, the dream came ever more frequent, and the calmness that you felt when waking was slipping away, sometimes waking in cold sweats.

This time, you felt a growing anxiety as your feet led you through the waves, the same path you had taken time and time again in your slumber. You no longer felt the sand beneath your feet, only the water as your feet slid through it, supported by whatever it was that guided you to the edge of existence.

Squinting, you saw something distant at the horizon, a faint band of darkness, darker than even the night sky above you, and your anxiety turned to dread as you looked to the sky and saw the stars start to wink out.

A rumbling, then a booming, chimes in the distance, and a louder alarm being shouted, with a rush you awaken in a start as the sounds of metal striking metal echo down the halls, and you hear your men fighting for their lives. Betrayal!

-----------------------

Forged in Faith is a smallgods game using PDQ where you play a mortal that transcends humanity into godhood; starting off you’ll be commanding armies, fighting for control of locations in a large civil war that has been decades in the making.

You are unique beyond the other men you fight alongside: an heirloom has passed down generation to generation, or stolen, or otherwise come into your possession that is the remnants of a god or a number of gods (i.e. a holy sword, or a cursed suit of armor).

Setting notes:

You are in a world that exists between other worlds, something the gods that had lived fought hard and possibly perished to create. It is a flat crystal plane with more normal topography upon it, and an ocean that extends to a vague “edge” that you have only been able to see in your dreams. At night, a dizzying display of stars and galaxies captivate and enthrall, but navigation is difficult because they tend to shift position, or new ones appear.

Most recently, some have begun to disappear completely.

At the start of this game, each player is a general, or daimyo, or any other person of a similar rank who has been betrayed out of their position of power. All they have remaining with them are their loyal followers of 50-100, usually soldiers that they have fought valiantly alongside. They also carry their divinely-imbued item.

Despite these betrayals, the civil war has just begun in earnest, dividing the world between north and south, and no doubt others look into the power vacuum opening in the world around them.

You can find the PDQ rules here: http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------

Game Expectations

The scope of this game will start off as a Smallgods game good and proper, with a small boost relatively quickly, once everyone’s got their feet wet. It’ll stay smallgods in scope, culminating with the highest powerlevel being akin to an extremely powerful archmage or the like.

Humans and mythical beasts inhabit this world between worlds, and initially, the player characters will be some variation of human, though I will allow traits that suggest a distant demi-human blood or that type of thing.

The fundamental rules that can’t be altered:

The world cannot be destroyed or rendered unfamiliar.
New worlds cannot be created.
There are no hard-counters to things others have created. Life finds a way etc etc.
Players are allowed to have/act meta-game knowledge of what the others are doing with the rationalization that talk is cheap and this world has a strong oral tradition; everyone hears rumors from every corner of the world.

I unfortunately do not have time for IRC RP convos, but I gladly invite players to do that between themselves and post the chatlogs in the thread. The place to be for that is #ohgod.

Player vs Player Combat

It will invariably happen, and it’ll be run under the hood to prevent gaming it too hard. Surprises and group beatdowns will have advantages, but allow the other to have a chance.

You will be in a wounded state after losing all your ranks, which serves as a “last words” state. If you die, you will be allowed to roll a new character using something that exists within the game, i.e. a loyal follower etc.

Players can also challenge others to an Honor Duel, in which no others can interfere, but if refused the player declining will lose a significant amount of face based on the difference in ranks.

--------------------------------------------------------
Making your Character

Below is a template for your character. Note that you start with 1 rank (+2) of a quality known as a domain in this, reflecting your divine ability through your heirloom. You also have 1 foible (-2) reflecting some weakness you have.

Very early into the game, once you’ve established yourself in your surroundings, you will be given the opportunity to set up a similar thing for the soldiers/groupies/mob that follows you, so keep that in mind as well.

====================================
Name This and any titles/insulting nicknames you may have picked up.
Picture

+2 Domain(Item): Was it a scepter of Ice +2 that your father took from the ice colossus? Or was it the Golem’s Heart (Earth +2) that replaced your own when you were young? Please describe how this item/object came to your position, the legends behind it, and remember that its divine power is part of you now.

-2 FoiblePick something that you want to be used during this game. You can invoke this penalty deliberately in an action to gain a bonus die at a later time.

Your troop: Describe the group that follows you, who they are, how they’ve fought for you, a time they’ve saved you, a time you’ve saved them, etc.

How were you betrayed? It doesn’t have to be extremely detailed, but let loose. Someone wronged you to start you where you are in this game. How bad was it? Who was it? Do you know?

Which side were you with before the betrayal? Still working on the details on this, but either choose North,South, or Neutral, and a quick blurb on what made you choose this and I’ll try to incorporate it.

Name 2 things you’d like to do this game Again, it can be very general or very specific.

Looking for 7-9 players, and I’ll keep the recruitment up for a bit longer than a week. Feel free to ask any questions you may have :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Valhawk posted:

I'm definitely down for apping. Is there any difference between the north and south, or are they both tabula rasas for the players to define?

As of right now I'm still working on the details, but much of it is for initial player placement; you can spin it how you'd like and I'll probably mash together the parts that work best with what i've got, so feel free to embellish and we'll mush it together from there :)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

ForeverBWFC posted:

Daimyo Tadasu Hayashi, silver tongue.

Excellent character, already gives me a ton of details to work with.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Talos Blackblade

Looks good, a strong neutral position to shake things up :)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Puppies, LLSix, both look solid.

TheNabster, just so I know, is your troop a bunch of spooky skeletons or more like a vaguely undeathly aura-ish thing but they look non rotten type of thing?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

HiKaizer posted:

I can confirm this, he is a newbie so treat him gently.

As for my app, while the whole all humans thing is a bit eh for me I do have an idea. Someone with a cursed demon relic, who steals souls. I am considering a fallen virtuous warrior who is for the moment in the morally ambiguous grey zone of remembering his morals but also willing to do what needs to be done.

As far as the human thing goes people are stretching it as much as they can haha, so you have a pretty broad range.

Redhotkick, looks good :)

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 6, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Rauri, Valhawk, and rakovsky maybe, great characters.

Panic attack, feel free to submit a character because I'll be going through and picking the characters that work the best, rather than as they come.

Hikaizer, red eye flight, both look good.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

hikaizer and red eye, both are excellent characters. Sorry I was rush posting at work on break, just gave them a better look and they are both solid and gives a lot to work with

Panic attack, looks great. Expect many fire related puns if you get in.

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 6, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

TheNabster posted:

Wow this thread blew up whilst i was in bed.

To answer your earlier question I imagined them in various stages of decay and preserved that way through whatever animates them, so some of them are spooky skeletons but others still seem to have most parts intact, if looking worse for wear

Ah okay cool that'll work

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Ronwayne, looks good. I got a chuckle out of the idea of a rogue engineer brigade. Also, as far as leveling goes, you'll pick your upgrades, barring some sort of like story artifact or something.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Puppies are dicks posted:

Oh wait I forgot to ask, you'd mentioned that humanity has been living alongside /within sight of various magical shenanigans. How well does that apply towards magical or non-human races? We talking Memmonites or Bigfoot-rare? Or can that be a flexible concept based on location, origin, etc.?

Hypothetically if someone were to for example write in a reference to a magical kingdom of talking monkeys that live behind a crystal waterfall sealed away by ancient magic and guarded by tigers the size of carts. I am asking for a friend.

Flexible for the most part, though in my head the idea I had was princess mononoke type of rarity.

Pochoclo posted:

You're all going to end up being subprograms in a Terminator's CPU anyway

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Platonicsolid posted:

I'm intrigued, I've never done one of these before. It seems a lot of of the obvious slots are taken - I'm considering some sort of trade consortium/non-empire. Might that work?

Go ahead and apply a character haha. We already have a group of battle engineers.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Platonicsolid, good character. Just to clarify, what types of situations would you use your domain for?

Also glad to see so many newbies applying haha.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Shooting for picks this Sunday, good luck!

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Epicurius, great character.

Picking the characters in about 8 hours.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Alright, since I always have trouble deciding these things, I'm going to pick 13 for this game. To those that didn't make it, the characters you apped were great, and if anyone drops you will be the first to be asked to join.

Ronwayne- Amerigo Hieronymous
Panic attack- Aiden bierne
Forever bwfc- tadasu hayshi
Puppies- sun shahar
Thenabster- jurou
Redhotkick-Zaffi manda
Rauri-Victoria caspiel
Valhawk-bjorn olofson
Rakovsky maybe-Tangan ongbak
Hikaizer-anselm
Redeyeflight-ehecamini
Platonicsolid-Karin handel
Epicurius-etel

Phone posted, sorry for any mispells.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Thenabster, I need a family name for your guy.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

TheNabster posted:

Lets go with Mori for the family name.

Thank ya.

Working on the OP, hoping to have it up later on tonight or tomorrow night at the latest.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

game's up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707088

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Oh sure but I'll have to get to it later

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Update coming within the hour

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

ForeverBWFC posted:

Holy poo poo I missed the thread going live! Sorry, is it too late for me to sneak a post in?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Shooting for an update Saturday :)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Update tomorrow or thursday at the latest!

Just for shits and giggles, I've seen multiple people reference the Emperor, Kings, and Queens. I left it pretty vague intentionally, but I'm getting worried that it was so vague as to have people come up with completely contrasting situations/names/references. Which isn't bad, as anyone can be an unreliable narrator. I was thinking about asking for some blurbs about the various people you guys have referenced in your posts, or what your image was of that (those) people.

That way I can consolidate it and have a less vague timeline so it's easier to reference.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Before next Friday, sorry y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Yeah I'm really sorry gang. I had a brief moment where I had time to run a game, but then....as these things seem to go anyway, my work hours changed due to personal issues (I had work hours with downtime where I could work on updates). I don't want to keep on saying "yeah an update's coming" every few weeks, which, would be true but by the time one came out, it'd hardly be worth it for anyone to read it.

Sorry again :(

• Locked thread