Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Why not just leave it on the 360 drive?
That works, I just said "storage device" to be more inclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The most common cause for disappearing songs, for me, is the song cache simply not reading them. I used to think they were corrupt files, but now I'm bundling packs of songs together and still missing random songs despite them being part of one big file with twenty other songs that show up just fine. Deleting and rebuilding the song cache works for some songs but then causes others to disappear. It's bizarre.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Geographica posted:

So what song(s) are we all entering into the Rock Band Request Page?

Except for the obvious choice, Hocus Pocus by Focus.

Boom Clap
Run The Jewels
Turn Down For What

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
For some reason I lost my mind, thought "Hey, let me check out if anyone's streaming Rock Band 3, I like watching people play!" and came away feeling even more like an old man for completely not understanding the allure of Twitch with the kids these days.

Why the gently caress would anyone watch some loser sit in a chair, stone-face and motionless, playing along to the worst loving screamo bullshit customs with their mic volume up so loud that the clack-clack-clack of their instrument is louder than the music itself? I mean, if you're gonna be like that, why have a camera on you? You're playing Rock Band! Stand up, have fun, rock out a little bit! God forbid you look like you're ENJOYING yourself or the music!

And get off my lawn!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
That's only depressing to me if people were actually watching it. Soulless, boring streamers are a dime a dozen on Twitch, but usually they only have one viewer, so whatever.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

pksage posted:

That's only depressing to me if people were actually watching it. Soulless, boring streamers are a dime a dozen on Twitch, but usually they only have one viewer, so whatever.

Most had enough that they were making playlists from chat requests (usually the same screamo/Dream Theater/Dragonforce rotation).

One motionless statue had viewers in the triple digits, and I started heckling in the chat saying "if you look this bored playing, how do you think we feel watching?" His response was, "I'm concentrating, yo..." Then I was shouted down by the rest of the chat when I asked "Why put the loving camera on yourself, then?"

Then later I was banned for going "BEEP BOOP I AM A ROCK BAND ROBOT SONG EFFICIENCY AT 96%...FUN IS NEGLIGIBLE"

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Brocktoon posted:

Most had enough that they were making playlists from chat requests (usually the same screamo/Dream Theater/Dragonforce rotation).

One motionless statue had viewers in the triple digits, and I started heckling in the chat saying "if you look this bored playing, how do you think we feel watching?" His response was, "I'm concentrating, yo..." Then I was shouted down by the rest of the chat when I asked "Why put the loving camera on yourself, then?"

Then later I was banned for going "BEEP BOOP I AM A ROCK BAND ROBOT SONG EFFICIENCY AT 96%...FUN IS NEGLIGIBLE"

You. I like you.

I don't understand Twitch streamers that don't talk or interact with the audience at all. What's the point?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brocktoon posted:

For some reason I lost my mind, thought "Hey, let me check out if anyone's streaming Rock Band 3, I like watching people play!" and came away feeling even more like an old man for completely not understanding the allure of Twitch with the kids these days.

Why the gently caress would anyone watch some loser sit in a chair, stone-face and motionless, playing along to the worst loving screamo bullshit customs with their mic volume up so loud that the clack-clack-clack of their instrument is louder than the music itself? I mean, if you're gonna be like that, why have a camera on you? You're playing Rock Band! Stand up, have fun, rock out a little bit! God forbid you look like you're ENJOYING yourself or the music!

And get off my lawn!

It's kind of sad that the only person worth watching for Rocksmith stuff is a ten year old girl.

Actually I'm lying, that kid owns, and her little sister does goofy dances in the background. To Slayer. :black101:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Brocktoon posted:

"Hey, let me check out if anyone's streaming Rock Band 3, I like watching people play!"

I had a thought about this, and how Harmonix have mentioned a desire to make the music more personal.

People watch people play games on Twitch (I don't get it either but whatever), but if you are watching someone playing RB - ignoring an actual webcam - they are going to see: The same songs, with similar venues, with the same movements by the characters - the same way, every time (barring mistakes made by the player and avatars)

What is needed, then, is a "director". This person, using a tablet, is responsible for:
Camera changes
Lighting
Sound mixing - including faders and effects

Then you've got not just a game - but essentially a live concert video you can watch.

Add in (getting fanciful here) some Kinect based motion tracking (Kinect 2 can track 8 people fully boned) and given enough space, you could have a live full motion captured rock concert experience! with no two ever being the same (apart from the actual songs)!

Now you could do it all live, but if you wanted, you could do it in two steps:
1. band plays the song with their instruments, performance recorded
2. band moves about during a playback of them doing the song, kinect recording their movements
We go to the edit suite, pick some camera angles, zooms, add some effects etc and you've got yourself a rock video you can share on youtube etc

Imagine THAT for a battle of the bands, not just song performance but choreography and musical direction.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Well I just got home after a weekend of whooping it up and now we get months of screaming at each other over hypothetical ways they're going to handle all the insane edge cases they've cooked up with regards to licensing songwriting, lyrics, master recordings, third-party-authored DLC and the various lapses in every single one of those departments between a library of over 4,000 total "unique" songs. It makes you wonder what kind of attention or changes they might make to the library sorting, the character creation, the structuring of progression or if there will even be any sort of campaign-style demands, and obviously what in God's name the song list is going to look like. It's an insane giant question mark that's pretty much impossible to comment on besides anticipation, conjecturing, and deep relief that our libraries aren't being reset.

Also Frank Turner is really fuckin' boss live and I felt bad not knowing any of the words to any of his songs but at the time I was also completely sloshed.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Dewgy posted:

It's kind of sad that the only person worth watching for Rocksmith stuff is a ten year old girl.

Actually I'm lying, that kid owns, and her little sister does goofy dances in the background. To Slayer. :black101:

I need a link to this.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brocktoon posted:

I need a link to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFd2Mi2FTzs

It's better than I remembered.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

This is great, and really impressive but the little sister screaming along really makes the video.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Gaspar Lewis posted:

It's an insane giant question mark that's pretty much impossible to comment on besides anticipation, conjecturing

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Dreyvas posted:

You. I like you.

I don't understand Twitch streamers that don't talk or interact with the audience at all. What's the point?

Because it's like going over to a friend's house where you just watch him play GTA5 by himself. He doesn't interact with you at all, gets pissed when you try to get his attention and seems indifferent when you even leave the room. That's what Twitch is like to me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DaWolfey posted:

I had a thought about this, and how Harmonix have mentioned a desire to make the music more personal.

People watch people play games on Twitch (I don't get it either but whatever), but if you are watching someone playing RB - ignoring an actual webcam - they are going to see: The same songs, with similar venues, with the same movements by the characters - the same way, every time (barring mistakes made by the player and avatars)

What is needed, then, is a "director". This person, using a tablet, is responsible for:
Camera changes
Lighting
Sound mixing - including faders and effects

This is not 'needed'

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

pksage posted:

Debate: is steak still delicious? I'd say yes.

Look, as long as we don't start treating that theorizing as fact and getting attached to our presumptions and fantasies abou-

pksage posted:

poo poo.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

At this rate I'm tempted to just learn C3 CON Tools,

Was going to say to not be afraid, since C3 CON Tools is designed to be user friendly and straightforward. I hope people aren't having to /learn/ to use it. But I see you're already on it.

Also, I have no problem playing on my HD LED TV via HDMI with Game Mode on. Just took my whole kit to a friend's house who had a different LED TV and with Game Mode on, we played with 0ms calibration with no lag problems.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
C3 tools look really nice but I've already copied hundreds of songs piecemeal to my internal 360 drive :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TrojanNemo posted:

Was going to say to not be afraid, since C3 CON Tools is designed to be user friendly and straightforward. I hope people aren't having to /learn/ to use it. But I see you're already on it.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but overall it's been pretty simple, the biggest hurdle is just going through the mammoth task of reorganizing it all.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Orange Harrison posted:

Wait the Xbone is HDMI only? And doesn't even support interlacing?
How was this piece of junk NOT $200 right out the gate?

I wasn't aware of that one. Looks like on top of a $400 system, plus a likely $200 game, I will have to get a new TV. This is looking to get way out of my price range pretty fast.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For those that have figured out how to get custom songs... why do you even need Rock Band 4?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Presumably the Rock Band 4 "engine", that is, gameplay+visuals+animation+etc. will be enough of an upgrade over RB3 to make an upgrade tempting even without customs and potentially not being able to bring across your old DLC (if you switched allegiances.)

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Also, RB4 will have wider appeal. If you want to play online, this'll bring folks back.

Additionally, I've always sort of liked on-disc stuff as sort of an introduction to music I haven't noticed before. With customs/DLC I tend to just focus on stuff I already know.

I owe a lot of my musical tastes to Rock Band directly or indirectly (IE introduces me to Band X, I find song Y, and so forth). Makes me feel like a big ol nerd, but who the hell listens to the radio anymore?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

If Rock Band 4 for WiiU was a thing it would change everything for me.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Astro7x posted:

For those that have figured out how to get custom songs... why do you even need Rock Band 4?

~Coxy posted:

Presumably the Rock Band 4 "engine", that is, gameplay+visuals+animation+etc. will be enough of an upgrade over RB3 to make an upgrade tempting even without customs and potentially not being able to bring across your old DLC (if you switched allegiances.)

Very much this. Rock Band 3 was a good game, but it definitely had a rushed production cycle, and many of us want a sequel to Rock Band 2. Not to mention that we only get multitrack audio ("stems") for a select handful of customs, and actual disc songs and DLC always have stems, which is very nice.

As The Guys That Run The Customs Site, we want to stress very firmly that RB3 customs and RB4 are different beasts. Plenty of people kept modding Morrowind after they bought and played Oblivion; that's kind of where we are. We'll be taking every precaution to ensure that customs don't step on RB4's toes, up to and including shutting down entirely if we have to. Hopefully it won't come to that -- we're looking at Rocksmith and Customsforge as role models right now -- but please, everyone, don't walk away with the idea that customs eliminate the need for RB4.

Also, "for those that have figured out" suggests that customs are really hard to do, but they're super easy. You need a flash drive and the EA disc version of RB3, nothing else! For anyone still on the fence, here's our brief video tutorial explaining it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

This is so loving awesome, and my wife and I stayed up entirely too late last night watching a bunch of videos on their channel.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

pksage posted:

Very much this. Rock Band 3 was a good game, but it definitely had a rushed production cycle, and many of us want a sequel to Rock Band 2. Not to mention that we only get multitrack audio ("stems") for a select handful of customs, and actual disc songs and DLC always have stems, which is very nice.

I wonder about how changing this would impact sales. When we had our poll a few months ago asking for some feedback (and we got responses in the quadruple digits), if you remember, the number of people saying they would not download a non-multitrack song was almost the same as the number of people saying they actually prefer the song not cutting out. The success of the stem-less Rocksmith should weigh in too.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ApexAftermath posted:

As if anyone made their next gen console choice based on anything to do with Rock Band.

I did. The chance of more Rock Band and all the other XBLA stuff I already had led me to choose a One over PS4. Also, Halo is pretty fun.

edit

Orange Harrison posted:

I have one of those oddball HDCRTs. It's big-screen, and HD, but tube-driven (not rear-projection). It's p much the only way to play RB in HD with 0ms latency. More or less an enormous computer monitor.

Will the xboxone output over a HDMI to DVI-D cable? Rocksmith suggests using the toslink cable for audio to reduce latency, but dealing with HDMI can be a headache. If your old CRT has DVI, probably unlikely, that might be a possibility.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 10, 2015

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I bought all three current gen consoles because yolo or whatever

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I bought a PS3 to play Journey, so who knows how this generation will go.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

farottone posted:

I wonder about how changing this would impact sales. When we had our poll a few months ago asking for some feedback (and we got responses in the quadruple digits), if you remember, the number of people saying they would not download a non-multitrack song was almost the same as the number of people saying they actually prefer the song not cutting out. The success of the stem-less Rocksmith should weigh in too.

Whether or not the fans would go for it, I think a stem-less Rock Band is a non-starter for Harmonix. It would almost certainly go against their vision for the series.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Sir Tonk posted:

Will the xboxone output over a HDMI to DVI-D cable? Rocksmith suggests using the toslink cable for audio to reduce latency, but dealing with HDMI can be a headache. If your old CRT has DVI, probably unlikely, that might be a possibility.

Also, make sure you turn off sound processing on your A/V receiver. If it's not a great product, it will introduce a lot of lag. Maybe it's common knowledge, but since I use Rock Band on 2 different setups, and my main set up has a great A/V receiver, I had a hard time understanding why on my second set up the drums sound were so lagged. Turning off any sound processing did the trick on my entry level Yamaha.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

Very much this. Rock Band 3 was a good game, but it definitely had a rushed production cycle, and many of us want a sequel to Rock Band 2.
What exactly is meant by this? It's the second time I've seen that particular verbiage, so I'm curious. I'm not sure what it implies for a game series with no storyline.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Minidust posted:

What exactly is meant by this? It's the second time I've seen that particular verbiage, so I'm curious. I'm not sure what it implies for a game series with no storyline.

I think it's that RB3 tried too much for the short dev cycle it had and some of its features came out a little undercooked. When they tried to squeeze a story mode, new instruments, pro guitar/bass and all the other features in there, not all of them worked as well as expected. RB2 took everything problematic from RB1 and fixed them, didn't try to revolutionize the series, and it came out a bit better. It's more streamlined and succeeds more for that reason.

As for RB4, I'm hyped as hell. Haven't played in a year (got a Bone out of the blue last year and gave my 360 to a friend), but I had 500+ songs in my library at my peak of RB3. I'm disappointed they're dropping keys, but then again I was terrible at them anyway and barely used my keytar except as a replacement for a second guitar. Got my hands on Amplitude at PAX for a few minutes which reminded me how much I loving love everything Harmonix does. Then I got up on that dumb Rock Band performance stage in a Pikachu onesie and sang Train in Vain like an attention whore and the six years I poured into the RB series came flashing back to me. Can't loving wait for 4.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Minidust posted:

Gameplay wise, Rock Band 3 was a clear step up, what with being able to support up to 7 people bands and have pro instruments and all that, but aesthetically, they're a lot of changes to how the game looks, character customization was completely gutted and rebuilt from the ground up, the animations were gutted and replaced but only like half of them, the UI was spruced up, and while a lot of these changes are basically unnoticeable if you don't pay attention, there are a bunch that kinda ticked people off.

Like, one example would be when sorting songs by band name, all band names are in all caps now, whereas in Rock Band 2 they just capitalized the first letter unless the band name was supposed to be all caps. An incredibly minor change that a causal fan wouldn't notice, but for hardcore fans it drives them nuts.

The biggest example would be career mode, which is completely different, and the removal of versus mode, which was honestly the only way I played online at all so I was sad to see that go.

EDIT: Also, RB3 has graphical glitches up the wazoo, with guitars and basses wobbling erratically on closeups, the mic shaking like mad if the singer doesn't hold it, and I think even on the latest patch, if you start a song in the open arena stadium you'll see the fencing hovering over the crowd for a couple seconds before it finishes loading. Also before TU5, some combinations of songs will just outright crash the game.

Also also, the music video stuff just outright looks better in RB2, which is a shame because music video mode is the only way to play with All Instruments.

ALSO ALSO ALSO you didn't need to push the button to have the next song in a setlist play, so if you were at a party and nobody wanted to play you could turn on no fail + vocals and load up some party songs to dance to until somebody felt like playing again.

ALSO because setlists didn't pause Endless Setlist was a real beast of a mode that required a full day of playing and is easily the most demanding thing I've ever done in a game, but RB3's like whatever, just take a break after every other song, no pressure, go have dinner or something it's cool, I'll be waiting when you get back. Also I don't think you actually get anything by beating it in RB3, which is bullshit.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 10, 2015

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
RB3 is less of a game than RB2 but there's no way I'd go back to RB2. The independent lane speed alone makes RB3 the only choice for parties.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I just want more dorky attract screens and cutscenes featuring one's custom band. The cutscenes were great and dumb and I just want more of them*.
*actual stage animations are important too i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Holy poo poo that's awesome.