Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen much talk about this game recently and figured why not make a thread about it.

What is it?

Ori and The Blind forest is a platformer soon to be released on March 11th for Xbox One and PC. It's being developed by Moon Studios and it's supposedly heavily influenced by Super Metroid and Legend of Zelda: A link to the past. Moon has said that although it can be considered a metroidvania it's more heavily focused on platforming with light rpg mechanics.

Who is Moon Studios?

More or less they're an indie dev group that have only released one previous game called Warsoup. Dunno how that game was so not much I can give on that or the devs themselves.

So what's it about then?

Sporting a hand painted design with beautiful artwork, Ori and The Blind Forest has you playing as a forest spirit who is tasked with figuring out why this forest is suddenly dying. There's other things in the story about finding the courage that dwells in all of us and that kind of stuff. Point is the forest is dying and you gotta figure out what's up.

Trailers

:pcgaming:Despite the end of this trailer it is not bone exclusive. It's coming out on steam as well.:pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EexSqzA5mXY

Gameplay trailer from IGN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLk8pUFUFw

Again the game releases March 11th on Bone and Steam. It's priced at a very reasonable 20 bucks.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
You should mention in the title that it's coming to PC as well as Bone. I was not even slightly excited about this since I thought it was a Bone exclusive.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Made a note of that above the first trailer. Also pointed out that it's being released at a moderate 20 bucks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fibby Boy posted:

Again the game releases March 11th on Bone and Steam. It's priced at a very reasonable 20 bucks.

It's been out since about midday today. Playing on the PC. It's loving amazing and I'm goddamned shocked there's only 2 posts.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Jesus loving Christ. Playing this with the lights out and my headset on and the prologue actually made me teary-eyed. This game is beautiful.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This game is really fun, controls really well and looks great. Definitely for experienced platformer players, too. It really goes balls out on the wall jumps and double jumps.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Looks pretty good. I love that Vanillaware-style, hand-painted, idyllic, slightly surreal aesthetic.

Too bad I can't play it since I'm Mac-only at the moment :smithcloud:. Wishlisted for now.

Feenix posted:

It's been out since about midday today. Playing on the PC. It's loving amazing and I'm goddamned shocked there's only 2 posts.

Yeah, I never heard of it until now. It seems like it got no pre-release promotion or coverage whatsoever.

Sync
Nov 16, 2012

Man, I feel like I can't recommend this game highly enough. I just bought it on a whim because I'm a sucker for a good art style, but I've been blown away by how good it looks. The aesthetic is just incredible, but the graphical quality is surprisingly good too for an indie game especially, in my opinion. The music is fantastic too; the entire atmosphere is incredibly well done. I wasn't even going in expecting too much out of the gameplay, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is, and I'm not even all that into platforming. The whole system where you can unlock abilities throughout the game is really cool so far (I've unlocked about half as I write this) and the upgrade tree is definitely a cool feature too. The whole metroidvania system is definitely going to keep me playing until the end, and I might even go for 100% or something just because I enjoy it so much.

All in all, especially for $20, I'm definitely happy I stumbled across this. Maybe it's just that I havn't seen anything about it personally prior to today but I feel like it deserves way more attention than it's getting.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ceyton posted:

Yeah, I never heard of it until now. It seems like it got no pre-release promotion or coverage whatsoever.

Hence why I made the thread. I wanted the game to get some kind of exposure.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
The game is definitely outrageously good looking. The platforming isn't bad either, though enemies break the pace too much early on thanks to their high HP. Don't bother putting points anywhere but Red for awhile.

Also, the difficulty in general is pretty inconsistent. You'll go from 4/10 difficulty to 8/10 or 9/10 in literally one screen. I think this means I should go a different direction, but it's still very weird to go up against.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Game is awesome so far. Bit stuck about an hour in.

Above the entrance to the swamp -- don't think I can get in there yet, just to the health shrine or whatever -- there are some rocks that glow green that look like they're meant to be opened. There are some greenish enemies nearby that roll after you and blow up on contact; I assume I'm supposed to use those to blow open the green rocks, but I can't find a way to get the enemies to the rocks.

Possible roadblocks:

• I've found some wooden doors. No idea how to open them, I've been assuming I'm not supposed to yet, or that I'm supposed to find a switch.

• I think I've now passed two different energy gates that require five energy to open. My current max is three. Maybe I missed some upgrades?

• There's a giant enemy near the green enemies, it's red and floats in the air and shoots a laser that instantly kills you. It's impervious to regular attacks but charged ones do seem to hurt it. I don't think I can actually kill it at my current energy capacity, but maybe I'm wrong. I would have tried, but I had to go to work, plus the area around there is REALLY dangerous since both that and the green things can kill you instantly.

Advice appreciated.

So far I haven't found anything too hard platforming-wise, when does this become super difficult?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh poo poo. I completely forgot this was coming out.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Steam page says that it highly recommends using a controller for this. Has anyone played it with normal keyboard + mouse?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Slaan posted:

The Steam page says that it highly recommends using a controller for this. Has anyone played it with normal keyboard + mouse?

I've been playing it with KB+M and it seems fine. I'm not very far yet so maybe it'll stop being feasible eventually but I haven't had any issues with the platforming thus far.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Having finished it with a controller and played around for a few minutes with a KB+M there's no way there'd be any major issues with KB+M. It's secretly a pretty drat demanding game, but if you've played hard platformers with a keyboard before you'll do fine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

guppy posted:

So far I haven't found anything too hard platforming-wise, when does this become super difficult?

There are some enemies that can be tough to deal with. This this fire/rock elemental thing that shoots a loving fire lazer that's pretty like "holy poo poo" and you basically have to run past him.

The game is loving beautiful jesus. It's easily one of the prettiest games I've ever seen.

It's not the easiest game, but if you've played any of the DKC: Returns or Tropical Freeze it feels like that where the difficulty is tough but fair. The only thing is it has the They Bleed Pixels thing with save points where you create your own save point (beyond the life wells) so you have to be strategic with your placement of them.

It's a platformer which is my favorite genre so gameplay wise I'm having a blast with it but holy hell I can't write enough words about how absolutely gorgeous this game is.

Slaan posted:

It works as well as Trine does with a Mouse + Keyboard, in that, it works perfectly fine. I feel like the precision jumps would be easier if I had a controller but beyond that it's fine.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What's the rough estimate on length on this one? Any special extra stuff like Hard Mode or fun extras to do afterwards?

I'm pretty much solid on it already I'm just debating if I should pick it up sooner, or later.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jesus, the part where you have to escape the tree while it's being flooded is absolutely kicking my rear end. The least they could do is let me put down a check point midway through :psyduck:

edit: Beat it. Holy poo poo that was hard

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 12, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else had weird resolution/crash issues? If I set it to 1440 it will go black (I still hear music but can't do anything in the background... or quit, I have to task manager.)

I set it to the max resolution (I have a screen that can handle 2160) and it runs fine and is no problem, but it sometimes does a little mini crash and resets to 1440 windowed mode. Then I have to go back in and set it to full screen, etc...

just super annoying.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
This game is drop-dead gorgeous, is beautifully animated, has an amazing soundtrack and atmosphere out the wazoo, but I'm afraid it'll completely break me the more I play it. :(

I'm fine with hard (sometimes), I just hope it never becomes frustrating.

Macaluso posted:

The only thing is it has the They Bleed Pixels thing with save points where you create your own save point (beyond the life wells) so you have to be strategic with your placement of them.
I really like this feature, by the way.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Macaluso posted:

Jesus, the part where you have to escape the tree while it's being flooded is absolutely kicking my rear end. The least they could do is let me put down a check point midway through :psyduck:

edit: Beat it. Holy poo poo that was hard

I'm at the part right after that and yeah, it was pretty intense. It took me about 10 or so tries due to stupid mistakes, but I think they did it just right.

To add to the spectacular graphics, soundtrack, and controls, you can throw level design on there too. If you are having trouble advancing in an area you don't think you should be in yet, then you aren't supposed to be in there. Also, there's plenty of walls in the Spider's Hideout that are just high enough that you can't reach until you finally get the Double Jump ability. That's right out of Metroid's playbook and well thought out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game is way harder than I had expected, I'm loving it so far.

Managed to beat the aforementioned area on my first try, though. Although I was cutting it pretty drat close near the end.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's the rough estimate on length on this one? Any special extra stuff like Hard Mode or fun extras to do afterwards?

I'm pretty much solid on it already I'm just debating if I should pick it up sooner, or later.

10 hours seems about right for a first playthrough. Some people do a bit less, some people a bit more... depends on how good you are and how much optional stuff you feel like doing.

There's no hard mode, but there are some very hard achievements. The two that stand out are beat the game without dying, and beat the game in less than 3 hours. If you really want to go for it, there are also leaderboards for speed running and low death counts. I think it's a lot of fun to discover various movement tricks, shortcuts, etc. We tried to make it so a lot of the puzzles/challenges have some kind of quicker, alternate solution that isn't obvious at first. It won't unlock any extra hidden content or anything, but IMO it's a very different game when you're trying to play it at a "high level".

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I finished the sequence where I escaped from the flooding tree and got the Stomp ability right after it. I decided to try it on one of the tougher enemies, when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8zV0AoqFxU

It's interesting how certain enemies are tethered to stay in certain areas, because sometimes they bug out when you get them outside of their zone.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I'm only about 36% done according to my save file, but I can already say this game easily surpasses Aquaria as my favorite Metroidvania-style game. It scratches the same itch of whimsical and beautiful yet still slightly unsettling, and I'm just super digging it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Syndlig posted:

I'm only about 36% done according to my save file, but I can already say this game easily surpasses Aquaria as my favorite Metroidvania-style game. It scratches the same itch of whimsical and beautiful yet still slightly unsettling, and I'm just super digging it.

Funny you should say that. My tablet wallpaper has been Aquaria for years, I changed it to Ori today.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a certian point later on when you get all the abilities, it does feel like the game kind of expects you to have more fingers than you actually have. I wish the moveset was a bit simpler.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Played up through the Ginso Tree.

Looks great, sounds great, and the platforming feels really solid. I'm 50/50 on the actual combat mechanics so far against the normal enemies, but the way the ginso tree upgrade interacts with enemies and projectiles seems like this is only going to improve.

I'd played a tiny bit of it at some preview event a while back, and it didn't click with me then, but I'm really liking the final game so far.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I 100%'ed this yesterday and it was as amazing as I hoped it would be. I ended up with like a gajillion deaths. I bought it immediately after it came out and more or less never put it down. What an amazing game that came totally out of nowhere for me. Also Jesus Christ this is also the saddest game for quite a long while. The prologue is pretty heartwrenching already and then it just kinda adds more sadness on top of that. Thankfully it's not just 100% sad and tears all the way through :unsmith:

The one thing I really wish this game had, especially at the end when I went for the 100% collection rate, is the ability to teleport between areas. Maybe make the life wells teleporter stations on top of being a save station or something? All the movement abilities and the changes in the environment you unlock throughout the game make travel pretty quick and bearable but the respawning enemies and realizing "oh poo poo, I forgot a powerup on the other end of the map!" can get you in some pretty annoying situations. A lot of the times I also felt the weird completionist need to go and see if I could pick up some more powerups right after I got a new ability. This meant traversing the map back and forth multiple times (which is admittedly my own "fault" for being such a completionist idiot) and without a teleporter function that was kind of grating after a while and made me go "Ah, screw this XP Shard thing" instead of wanting to collect it really badly :v:

Edit: Also missable collectables in areas you can't revisit :argh:

abraxas fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 13, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just beat the game. Amazing game, although the ending of the story felt bit... I dunno. It didn't feel as good as it should have because they made the big bad evil villain into probably the most sympathetic character in the game?? I kind of felt bad helping the tree that MURDERED HER CHILDREN. Like everything that happened to the forest is because of the tree killing mama bird's babies. And in the end the mama dies because of the tree! The game's final shot is her last egg hatching so it's meant to end on an uplifting note but it felt kind of like a bummer! Like the ending of the story doesn't feel unsatisfying (like Wolftenstein) but it did make me feel like I was kind of on the side of the actual bad guy.

Amazing, genuinely challenging, GORGEOUS game though. I hope people remember this game when people do their end of the year lists and awards, cause I'm still salty literally everyone forgot about Tropical Freeze :argh:

I'll say the final part may be a bit TOO hard (and I know the point of the game is to be hard but), and could've been dialed down just a tiny bit. Near the end of it I had to look up a walkthrough on how to get through the end, and you basically have to do everything perfectly or RIP

But yeah. I want more companies to make games that look like this game.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Counter says I'm 1/5 done, honestly surprised this thing is good. Prerelease stuff looked like this was going to be your typical great art/awful mechanics indie style game, but the mechanics are legitimately as good as the style. Really worth $20.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
So I just got past the illusion section in the Misty Woods, was on my way to the next objective, and then I fell out of the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLr71uw0iXE

The hole in the floor was still there, so I was able to keep replicating this over and over again. There was a bit where I kept falling and teleported into an area I've never been to before, but I didn't record it in time.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

yo' this game has good music

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

DialTheDude posted:

So I just got past the illusion section in the Misty Woods, was on my way to the next objective, and then I fell out of the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLr71uw0iXE

The hole in the floor was still there, so I was able to keep replicating this over and over again. There was a bit where I kept falling and teleported into an area I've never been to before, but I didn't record it in time.

Something similar happened to me last night. I was able to straddle the border between two zones and was stuck loading between them over and over until i managed to jump out/fall through all the way.

Game's got some technical issues it seems. I've got a dual monitor setup and the game crashed when alt tabbing a few times. Making it windowed helped but now when the game starts it puts it between the two monitor border. All of this is only a minor annoyance though, this is one of the best games I've played in a long time. Bash is a pretty amazing mechanic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The further the game goes and the more intricate and complex it gets, the more brilliant it gets. I just lit Misty Woods and the systems in place just feel so good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've made it my mission to push this game to anyone who will listen. I am gifting it to at least two people. It is a CRIME that this is only a one page thread.

This game is a work of art.

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008
This game is something pretty special, sad to see it only one page in too. About a third of the way up the Ginso Tree so far and loving it - though I hope it remains keyboard-accessible.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Feenix posted:

I've made it my mission to push this game to anyone who will listen. I am gifting it to at least two people. It is a CRIME that this is only a one page thread.

This game is a work of art.

Same here. I've run into a couple of weird, minor bugs, but this is still very strong GOTY 2015 material for me. In the Misty Woods right now.

Sync
Nov 16, 2012

I finished the game up earlier today and it's fantastic the whole way through. All 3 escape sequences were really well done, I loved the difficulty increases. The Ginso Tree escape was my favorite I think, but the final escape from the owl at the very end is a close second.

Personally I never ran into any of the bugs. The one thing I'm kind of disappointed about is that it doesn't seem you can go back into your save file after you've beaten the game. It does warn you that won't be able to go back so I guess that's my own fault for not copying the save then. Just be sure to make a copy of your save when you're warned about not being able to go back if you want to look for secrets and such.

That said I'm still recommending it to everyone I know, it's one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Macaluso posted:

I just beat the game. Amazing game, although the ending of the story felt bit... I dunno. It didn't feel as good as it should have because they made the big bad evil villain into probably the most sympathetic character in the game?? I kind of felt bad helping the tree that MURDERED HER CHILDREN. Like everything that happened to the forest is because of the tree killing mama bird's babies. And in the end the mama dies because of the tree! The game's final shot is her last egg hatching so it's meant to end on an uplifting note but it felt kind of like a bummer! Like the ending of the story doesn't feel unsatisfying (like Wolftenstein) but it did make me feel like I was kind of on the side of the actual bad guy.

Yeah, Koru dies because of the tree's light, since she seems to be inherently a being of shadow (hence why the light straight up kills her babies). She willingly rekindles the light of the Spirit Tree in order to put out the forest fire that's about to kill her last child. Even so, I don't agree that we're on Team Badguy, because while the tree did accidentally kill her kids when he called out for Ori, Koru was waaay more destructive. In retaliation, she slaughters all his children, rips out his eye which renders him dormant or possibly kills him, destroys the balance of the elements and dooms the entire forest to a lingering death. Hell, even the forest fire is her fault. When you reignite the element of warmth, the volcano seems to temporarily calm down until Koru shows up and lands on the drat thing, causing it to erupt and start the forest fire that she has to sacrifice herself to stop.

I don't think it was necessarily meant to be a completely happy ending, either way. Ori's family consists entirely of people who are the last of their kind (with the possible exception of Ori's adoptive father, since we only ever see one of him), which means when (if?) they eventually die there will probably never be another Gomun, mask bear thing or shadow owl again. The game begins after a depressing turn of events, and ends on a bittersweet but hopeful ending.

• Locked thread