Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Does your clear time determine how little clothing Ori is wearing in the post-game stats scren?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Smoremaster posted:

Super Metroid is only about 7 hours too. :colbert:

You will never see bikini-Samus with that kind of performance
:goonsay:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah there are too many games coming out this month competing for my games budget, I've just put this on the Steam wishlist to pick up a couple months from now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'd love more Ori, but the game sports a $20 price tag at launch. 7 hours doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me in that light. And honestly, everything about that is perfect for me. I'm pretty busy these days so I prefer my games not be too long, and $20 is cheap enough for me to pick it up on a whim. I'm happy to have 7 hours, all of them wonderful, at that price.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
On the one hand you don't want fun like that to ever end.

On the other hand, the only reason it's fun like that all the way through is because they didn't drag or pad it out.

It's basically perfect.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

PantsBandit posted:

I looooove the springboard/charge ability. It's such a cool way to handle the traditional triple jump/shine spark and makes traversing the world a ton of fun.

Bash is very cool. It gets even better when you unlock Triple Jump from the one skill tree. It's a good thing you like it, because you'll be using it a lot more.

Feenix posted:

On the one hand you don't want fun like that to ever end.

On the other hand, the only reason it's fun like that all the way through is because they didn't drag or pad it out.

It's basically perfect.

This.

I like exploring nooks and crannies and my first playthrough clocked in at juuust over 10 hours. I also heard through the grapevine that the Immortal achievement can be had by saving constantly and just reloading the save if you should happen to die, which makes it a lot more reasonable. I'll be playing this again very soon to try and get more of the achievements.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 17, 2015

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Game owns

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

I like exploring nooks and crannies and my first playthrough clocked in at juuust over 10 hours. I also heard through the grapevine that the Immortal achievement can be had by saving constantly and just reloading the save if you should happen to die, which makes it a lot more reasonable. I'll be playing this again very soon to try and get more of the achievements.
Yeah, if you want to cheat to get that achievement, this is one way to do it.. It's because the game auto-saves when you respawn, so if you exit the game when you die but before respawning, it won't save your deathcount or playtime. If you get the Immortal achievement, you're only allowed to brag about it if you didn't abuse this!!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Doing a replay on it now, and man I regret not doing the blue skill tree the first time. I did the red one on my first playthrough, which made me stronger but drat the blue tree gives so many more life saving things. I have a billion blue and green orbs and I'm only on the Ginso Tree. I'm also searching around more for things. There's no way I'll be able to 100% it with things hidden in the gauntlets but, I already feel way more powerful than I did before just from finding more things early on.

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

Charles Martel posted:

I also heard through the grapevine that the Immortal achievement can be had by saving constantly and just reloading the save if you should happen to die, which makes it a lot more reasonable. I'll be playing this again very soon to try and get more of the achievements.

Wow, so there is actually hope of getting that after all! Because seriously, it's way too easy to make a little slip that kills you or just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time during those escape sequences.

I think the only really tricky one I'd have then is the Supersonic beat the game in under 3 hours achievement. So many areas require intricate patience and I think any kind of rushing is going to make that extremely hard. Plus memorizing the most direct route from start to finish may take a few playthroughs. Speed runs are definitely not my kind of thing.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

MercuryDragon posted:

Wow, so there is actually hope of getting that after all! Because seriously, it's way too easy to make a little slip that kills you or just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time during those escape sequences.

I think the only really tricky one I'd have then is the Supersonic beat the game in under 3 hours achievement. So many areas require intricate patience and I think any kind of rushing is going to make that extremely hard. Plus memorizing the most direct route from start to finish may take a few playthroughs. Speed runs are definitely not my kind of thing.

Go playing Binding of Isaac where you have to beat the game with a character that can't even get hit once. Seven times.

And you realize the actual speedrun for this game is already sub 1hr? 3 hours isn't a speed run. It's "Playing through quickly knowing where to go and not mucking about backtracking after getting each upgrade"

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

Gibbo posted:

Go playing Binding of Isaac where you have to beat the game with a character that can't even get hit once. Seven times.

And you realize the actual speedrun for this game is already sub 1hr? 3 hours isn't a speed run. It's "Playing through quickly knowing where to go and not mucking about backtracking after getting each upgrade"

Or YOLO mode in Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures. Yeah, I know there's people out there that can do that kind of thing.

And you're probably right about that. You probably shave off a lot of time not trying to much about trying to get to every secret or whatever. I checked Youtube and people can pull it off in an hour and thirty, so it's definitely possible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yo, how on earth do I get this thing on the top right? There's a spitting worm thing on the left but he only pops out if you're to his left down at the bottom. He doesn't come out at all if you're anywhere on his right, so I'm copmletely stumped at what you hvae to do to break that stompy floor. It doesn't look like there's anyway to drop down into there, no way in from the left, the only thing I can think of is i need the wormy spit to shoot at me to launch his spitball at the floor... except he doesn't come out where I can do that! What do I dooooo :argh:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
What do you do in any Metroid game when you absolutely don't have the tools to reach something?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Use a glitch?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Adam Bowen posted:

What do you do in any Metroid game when you absolutely don't have the tools to reach something?

Aggro a pair of crabs to climb a mountain?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I actually forgot the rocket jump thing could break through walls since playing it the first time. Wellp

Adam Bowen posted:

This game is better than any Metroid :colbert:

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist
Now this Ability Point in Sorrow Pass has me stumped.

Not exactly sure how you get that wall out of the way. I have tried all the abilities on it and I've tried looking for a switch or ground pound lever or something, but I still haven't found anything. Anyone have a clue as to how to get this one?

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

MercuryDragon posted:

Now this Ability Point in Sorrow Pass has me stumped.

Not exactly sure how you get that wall out of the way. I have tried all the abilities on it and I've tried looking for a switch or ground pound lever or something, but I still haven't found anything. Anyone have a clue as to how to get this one?

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Gibbo posted:

You can actually do a 100% run in under 3 hours, even if you die a bunch of times! There's a surprising amount of leeway.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Macaluso posted:

This game is better than any Metroid :colbert:
i'm willing to bet this game is good but i highly doubt it's better than super metroid. not that that's anything to be ashamed of.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin

AHungryRobot posted:

i'm willing to bet this game is good but i highly doubt it's better than super metroid. not that that's anything to be ashamed of.

I'd say it doesn't have the same atmospheric quality as SM, but it plays a hell of a lot smoother. I always felt the Screw Attack, wall jump and shinespark were kind of finicky, especially with some of the harder items that require you to carry a speed boost through half a stage. The ability to save (almost) anywhere if you have the energy is a godsend; It relieves so much frustration that you can replay right at the start of a tough sequence rather than at a save room. On the whole, while it may not have some of Super Metroid's highs, it definitely addresses some of its lows.

Then again, my favorite Metroid is Fusion, and I've played mostly on emulators, so take my criticism as you will.

also, warp to secret world!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The combat system and atmosphere aren't as good as Super Metroid, same with the level design which is the main thing that Metroid-likes never manage to quite master. I also don't really like how "zoomed out" the game feels, Ori takes up almost nothing of the screen. Obviously that is better in terms of letting you see what's around you, but I find a closer view feels more immersive. One thing that really stands out though is how insanely good the movement is as you unlock new abilities. It's really a joy to get around in this game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Trochanter posted:

also, warp to secret world!

There's easter eggs like that all over the place. I saw that one earlier, and I saw a triforce painted on a wall on the swamp.

Adam Bowen posted:

The combat system and atmosphere aren't as good as Super Metroid, same with the level design which is the main thing that Metroid-likes never manage to quite master. I also don't really like how "zoomed out" the game feels, Ori takes up almost nothing of the screen. Obviously that is better in terms of letting you see what's around you, but I find a closer view feels more immersive.

I disagree with all of that. I could never get into the Metroid games, but this game just hits all the right notes for me. I like the level design better, and the atmosphere and combat. Honestly Metroid just doesn't do anything for me, but Ori is one of my favorite games to come out in a while, with the exception of the gauntlets being a bit too unforgiving.

The game being so freakin gorgeous helps a lot too though. There was a point where I was running along and just watching in awe at the background move behind me and how much it looked like I was watching a hand drawn animated movie with painted backgrounds.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 18, 2015

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
I'm playing on xbox one, and I don't know what happened, but the game straight up erased about 3-4 hours of progress... Maybe a buggy implementation of a cloud save overwrote my save?

Pretty frustrating... seeing as I was enjoying the hell out of it, but it's so hard to go back to a not having any abilities, I might give up on it...

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

EvilMike posted:

You can actually do a 100% run in under 3 hours, even if you die a bunch of times! There's a surprising amount of leeway.

I'm always fascinated by what developers intended/anticipated when games get broken down in speed runs. How much of this run was not intended or anticipated (http://www.twitch.tv/whitewingedraven/c/6345264)?

Adam Bowen posted:

The combat system and atmosphere aren't as good as Super Metroid, same with the level design which is the main thing that Metroid-likes never manage to quite master. I also don't really like how "zoomed out" the game feels, Ori takes up almost nothing of the screen. Obviously that is better in terms of letting you see what's around you, but I find a closer view feels more immersive. One thing that really stands out though is how insanely good the movement is as you unlock new abilities. It's really a joy to get around in this game.

Metroid is more combat focused than platforming while this game is more platforming focused than combat. Personally, I prefer a platforming focus, but 2d platforming is also one of my favorite genres and I have 106% super meat boy and stuff like that. I don't find either game more atmospheric than the other really, it's probably about the same. I actually agree that a zoomed out view makes it harder to get immersed in a game, that's one of the drawbacks of being platforming-focused, you have to be able to see ahead a decent bit otherwise the platforming can only ever consist of small pits and stuff.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 18, 2015

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

So It Goes posted:

I'm always fascinated by what developers intended/anticipated when games get broken down in speed runs. How much of this run was not intended or anticipated (http://www.twitch.tv/whitewingedraven/c/6345264)?

So, I watched this, and I'd say almost everything he does is intended (either built into the game, or discovered well before release), except for a few things which I'll list.

1. The trick with exiting-reloading the game in order to skip some cutscenes is hilarious, and was totally unknown to us. We don't want to patch this out, and instead are focusing on fixing cases of this which might break savefiles.

2. Skipping forlorn ruins wasn't intended. Doesn't break anything though, so it's fine.

3. Skipping half of mount horu by charge jumping through a lavafall was unintended. I'm not so sure I like this one because it can be game breaking unless you use the cutscene bug to get out of here.

Overall though I'd say there's more stuff he missed. There are a lot of rooms he did the slow way and didn't mention a faster route existing. Also, he needs to get better at using chargeflame, and especially bash. With bash, there's a way to get a much higher airspeed than normal, but he didn't use this technique at all, when it would've saved an insane amount of time.

Kerr0r
Mar 18, 2015
Bought this today and played it for about an hour. Game looks absolutely stunning, and the intro gave me the sort of amazing feels I love in my games.

One thing really jarred for me though (spoilered in case you're one of those "omg can't unsee" types), and that was the font they used for the Tree's lines in the intro. I believe it's called Segoe. Only one thing springs to mind when I see that font, and that is "Microsoft". I don't care that the game is published by Microsoft. That font belongs in Visual Studio, not in a super-artsy platformer.

But really I'm just nitpicking. I'm really looking forward to playing the rest of the game. Looks and feels amazing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
When people say what they expect a next gen game to look like, this is what I think of, a playable cartoon. My god it's perfect.

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

Could have sworn I checked there, but thanks dude, I appreciate it.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
The prologue to this game was so loving sad. :(

I had to set it down afterwards. Really, really well done intro. :golfclap:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

EvilMike posted:

So, I watched this, and I'd say almost everything he does is intended (either built into the game, or discovered well before release), except for a few things which I'll list.

1. The trick with exiting-reloading the game in order to skip some cutscenes is hilarious, and was totally unknown to us. We don't want to patch this out, and instead are focusing on fixing cases of this which might break savefiles.

2. Skipping forlorn ruins wasn't intended. Doesn't break anything though, so it's fine.

3. Skipping half of mount horu by charge jumping through a lavafall was unintended. I'm not so sure I like this one because it can be game breaking unless you use the cutscene bug to get out of here.

Overall though I'd say there's more stuff he missed. There are a lot of rooms he did the slow way and didn't mention a faster route existing. Also, he needs to get better at using chargeflame, and especially bash. With bash, there's a way to get a much higher airspeed than normal, but he didn't use this technique at all, when it would've saved an insane amount of time.

Oh wow, there is a dev in the thread!

It sounds like your team has put a lot of thought into the speed-running aspect of this game, considering how even such a crazy run is missing out on entire techniques.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Beat the game again, 100% this time. A controller makes the game SO much easier. The final gauntlet, that took me like probably 30+ tries to get through the first time, this time only took me 2 (I made a stupid mistake near the end that was totally my own fault). The other ones only ook me one try. Granted I had already experienced it once so I mostly remembered what was coming but. I kind of take back what I said about those gauntlets. They're super unforgiving if you're playing with a mouse and keyboard. They're not really a problem if you're using a controller.

So yeah, I wholly recommend playing this game with a controller. It basically erased my only real complaint. The missable collectables are annoying if you don't know they're there in the first place I suppose, and a fast travel system would've been nice so I didn't have to run so far to get a single collectable, but those are pretty minor. If you go for 100%, you'll max out EVERY ability tree, and you'll feel like a tiny little Stitch god. I hope a sequel is planned cause this was too fun. Ideally a sequel that starts you off with all your abilities and designs challenges around that. Incorporate Gumo and Baby Kuro into playable parts!

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
So this game sucked me in like I wouldn't have believed a game could and in the last week have completed it three times in various manner. I was watching JP McDaniel stream while I was at home sick, watching him do the Gumo trap, and said 'yeah I need to try this.'

The first time once I got bash, I was sort of frustrated and didn't know if I wanted to keep going. The bash mechanic was so flaky at first to me, and I couldn't effectively use it, then other tools got thrown at me. By the time I got through the first Kuro escape after the ruins I was sure I'd only finish the game to just find out how the story ended, as that sequence stumped me for at least 30 minutes before I figured it out. I warmed back up to it during Sorrow Pass, which is where I also got triple jump the first time through. The lava escape also took me a really, really long time because I kept trying to triple jump the first rock instead of, you know, power jumping to get over it which is far faster and easier. It took about an hour to finish the final escape, and I was pretty frustrated by the end, mostly because there was one section that kicked my rear end because I cannot stop myself from pressing down at the wrong time, which kept putting me behind. Fortunately the ending was good enough (the eyes definitely got misty at the end) that it all felt worth it.

The second time I wanted to go up the middle ability tree to find where everything was, and this time by the time I got bash I was no longer poo poo at it, and started to realize just how powerful you can get Ori before you head into the second third of the game, and once I got past the ruins, I just flew through the rest of it. I was going for 100% on that run, and I didn't get it! I 100%ed the map because I made backups and managed to find the Mount Horu map stone, but I looked over the entire map for a good 20 minutes before going in because I was at 12/15 for energy cells and they weren't showing on the map (I had every ability by then, isn't one of them showing energy cells?). I had backup saves, but I had literally no idea where to look, and then while playing through some areas to practice the escapes I screwed up my saves so nuked everything. Still need to go back and get all cells, although that would just be for giggles really, I can already see that energy cells past like 5 or 6 are unnecessary unless you save every three seconds or only attack with charge.

Third time, tried to go for immortal, which I still want to do. I still have yet to even get to the Ginso tree without dying once, so I've got some work to do there. This time around, however, I got out of the ruins with something like 2 hours on the clock and decided to make a beeline for the end to try and get speed run. Got it with with something like 6 minutes to spare, and nailed both the lava escape (by far the one I'm worst at) and the final escape. I think this round the only times I died were in the early bits (Playing for hours with all the later tools then going back and not having them for some of the early sections can be agonizing), during the first escape where I missed a lantern and a spider didn't help me out, and once or twice trying to speed through things in Mount Horu. My run from the top of Sorrow Pass to Mount Horu was something like 3 minutes, and it's revealed a lot about some mechanics that I think I was doing less than ideal (mostly involving stopping and being careful when I kill stuff). It's also the sequence that proved to me a no-ability run is totally doable, just going to be death laden while I adjust to the lack of certain things! I'm also in full agreement with EvilMike, in this run I still got a massive amount of items, with correct routing and timing on getting certain pickups you can easily do 100% in 3 hours or less.

If there's one unfortunate thing about the game that irritates me, its that the saving system isn't quite as robust as I'd like. It's rather clunky to have to save and copy the save before continuing if you don't want to get locked out of certain areas. It would have been nice to have the option to select a save file and go back to any time you saved at a well or something, or go back to your last soul link. I have hyped the hell out of this game to my friends, and saved before a lot of good sequences so I can show off the game, but it's taken all ten slots now :(

This game is absolutely amazing, and I'm torn between wanting some DLC and/or a sequel to see and play more, or for this to be it because its so well polished, tight, beautiful, and fun that I'm afraid more will ruin it.

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008

Hoohah posted:

This game is absolutely amazing, and I'm torn between wanting some DLC and/or a sequel to see and play more, or for this to be it because its so well polished, tight, beautiful, and fun that I'm afraid more will ruin it.

I feel similarly, including the part about a sequel or extension potentially ruining how much of a tight experience it was. If they made another game in the same sort of style, I think it should be a new different sort of setting, new story, new characters. Spiritual succession rather than a literal sequel.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

MCXD posted:

I feel similarly, including the part about a sequel or extension potentially ruining how much of a tight experience it was. If they made another game in the same sort of style, I think it should be a new different sort of setting, new story, new characters. Spiritual succession rather than a literal sequel.

We don't have any desire to make a boring rehash of Ori and the Blind Forest, anyway. If we make a sequel, it shouldn't just be the same game with different levels + a few new features tacked on.

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

MCXD posted:

There's a few other routes they could go with, such as having a sequel take place in other biome settings that weren't used, such as deserts, haunted graveyards, tropical islands, coral reefs, canyons, ancient ruins, plateaus, or possible urban or industrial settings (doesn't have to be modern, take a look at Myst, Riven, and Myst III: Exile for great examples of unusual but totally feasible civilized areas that wouldn't have the usual Chicago or New York City layout when we usually think of an urbanized city). It would give players more of what they want and still have a fresh feel with new places to explore that have their own challenges and obstacles to overcome that weren't covered in the forest, mountains, and swamps of the original. As for enemies, sure, you have the slimes, crows, spiders, frogs, rams, and whatnot, but you could always add in a few others like rats, snakes, bats, scorpions, and so on.

I like the characters, they're original, unique, and they grow on you. Heck, I think Ori is an even more likable character than most of the big franchise characters like Sonic or Mario. There's a LOT more they could possibly do with them in terms of storyline and there's plenty of room to make even more additions to the cast if they really wanted to. I, for one, would welcome seeing them make another appearance, especially Ori. He's cute, acrobatic, and cool, and there's really not too many other characters out there like him. If they needed to give the little guy more abilities to add spice to the sequel, you could have him learn new skills to cling to and move along ceilings, light up dark areas with a flare-like ability, purify/cleanse diseased or infected areas, walk/climb on fire and heated ledges (would have been helpful on Mt Horu), or go wild and possibly even give him wings to fly or some other ultimate ability like temporary dragon transformation or summoning powers similar to the usual epic-sized stuff in Final Fantasy to fight bigger and nastier bosses like it's Shadow of the Colossus all over again. Koru is already huge, but heck, you don't need to stop with her when it comes to putting in potentially bigger and nastier bosses that want nothing more than to snuff out all sources of light.

Another route is if people are unsure about a sequel because another round of the similar stuff might get bland, there's still the possibly of changing the game genre to an RPG or a third-person open world game where they would have an easier possibly to get other characters in on the action with abilities of their own (Naru and Gumo could definitely get in more on the action and/or work alongside Ori).

In terms of what the new game would be about... could be anything from reviving the spirits of Fil, Ano, Leru, Reem Ilo, Tatsu, and Nir (might be missing one) from some otherworldly afterlife realm to rebuild and restructure Ori's guardian race (which could include yet another cool ability that lets you transverse from and to the afterlife to the world of the living). while fighting some other monstrosity even worse than Koru that wants to seize control of the spirit world and then kill all of the living so they're under their dominance for... ouch, all eternity.

TL:DR - There's PLENTY they could do for a sequel if they want to.

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008

EvilMike posted:

We don't have any desire to make a boring rehash of Ori and the Blind Forest, anyway. If we make a sequel, it shouldn't just be the same game with different levels + a few new features tacked on.

Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate that you should aim low. I agree, you should aim to do something new and exciting, and whatever you and the team can really get behind.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
EvilMike, congratulations to you and your team for making a really fun and engrossing game, and it looks like half the internet likes it as well. If I might ask, was the response what you expected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as a sequel goes, they could always make a spiritual successor with a similar design philosophy.

• Locked thread