Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist
I think it's too early to start wondering about a sequel anyway, even though it's possible. Heck, the game only came out just last week. Enjoy it. Play through it again, earn the achievements, do a speed run, and if that's not enough, do some fan art, make a music remix, build a Ori plushie, or heck, write a fan fiction that's your cup of tea. Bear in mind this game took four years to create and develop. It's good to know there's fans out there shouting "encore!" but you need to bear in mind that any future game, Ori or not, might take just as long if we're hoping to see this kind of quality again. I figure it's best to give the devs some time to enjoy the champagne before any next big project is planned, but I'd have to say when it comes to making a great first impression, Moon Studios definitely knows how to do it.

In any case, definitely, I enjoyed every minute of this awesomely made game and will continue enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MercuryDragon posted:

I figure it's best to give the devs some time to enjoy the champagne before any next big project is planned

Totally. I don't know how well the game is selling, but I hope they are celebrating the glowing reviews they're getting. I just really really love platformers, they are my favorite genre, and it's not often that one comes around that looks as good as this and has controls that are so tight. I'd say the last great platformer I played was Shovel Knight and then Tropical Freeze before that. It's really really fun to leap and jump around even completely safe parts of the the forest in this game. So I hope in the future we get another awesome platformer from these guys cause they've got that poo poo down.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I "want a sequel" in the sense that I want to feel about another new game the way I do about this one. In practice "more of the same" would probably be a letdown if only because it wouldn't be novel. So I guess I'd like a new, similarly high quality game, and am interested to see what the studio does next.

I had no idea this took four years to make. I shudder to think of the kind of business this would have to do to pay for four years of development time. I hope it's selling like gangbusters.

I love 2D platformers, but a good Metroidvania-type makes me happy like few other genres. I haven't played one I was happy with since the last DS Castlevania, and that's been years. I played stuff like Guacamelee, but found it and games like it much too linear. Ori's design was a breath of fresh air.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Totally. I don't know how well the game is selling, but I hope they are celebrating the glowing reviews they're getting. I just really really love platformers, they are my favorite genre, and it's not often that one comes around that looks as good as this and has controls that are so tight. I'd say the last great platformer I played was Shovel Knight and then Tropical Freeze before that. It's really really fun to leap and jump around even completely safe parts of the the forest in this game. So I hope in the future we get another awesome platformer from these guys cause they've got that poo poo down.

It's a little more combat focused, but Castle in the Darkness is a really solid platformer that came out recently. Slight disclaimer about its difficulty, especially if one is the type of person to miss out on secret walls and stuff and thereby the upgrade loot that comes from it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I haven't had a WOOT THAT WAS AWESOME moment in years to a videogame. But the escape sequences are doing it to me every time. The movement just feels so fluid and great. I salute you guys. :patriot:

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
This game is really good and very pretty and you all should be playing it. That is all.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

guppy posted:

I "want a sequel" in the sense that I want to feel about another new game the way I do about this one. In practice "more of the same" would probably be a letdown if only because it wouldn't be novel. So I guess I'd like a new, similarly high quality game, and am interested to see what the studio does next.

I had no idea this took four years to make. I shudder to think of the kind of business this would have to do to pay for four years of development time. I hope it's selling like gangbusters.

:agreed:

I'm happy to see so many others enjoying it. I'm still telling friends and co-workers to play it whenever I can. It just goes to show how overblown the whole development cycle for AAA/"Blockbuster" games are when titles like Ori and Child of Light prove that less is more.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fistful of Silence posted:

This game is really good and very pretty and you all should be playing it. That is all.

Just beat the game, it's super good. I'm not at all a platformer guy but this was fantastic.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Holy poo poo, this game is gorgeous. The difficulty is a bit weird, but drat the end of the Ginso Tree was one of the best things I have ever played through. Such a rush when I got through that bit.

Reminds me of Dust: an Elysian Tale.

E. Just did the second one. Something about the music in the rush areas makes me want to keep going despite pretty much taking cues from I Wanna Be the Guy

Amazing.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 21, 2015

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

Zenithe posted:

E. Just did the second one. Something about the music in the rush areas makes me want to keep going despite pretty much taking cues from I Wanna Be the Guy

Amazing.

Pretty sure Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark is the music track for the Ginso Tree escape and Escaping the Ruins is for the Gumon Ruins escape. Both of them are definitely awesome tracks.

The soundtrack is practically a steal for only $9.50 off Amazon considering you get 32 excellent music tracks out of it. Plus it's another way to support the devs. The only thing about it is the Ori theme will probably get stuck in your head and result in subconscious toe-tapping or humming it and you won't even realize it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game is somewhat disappointing to me. As someone who bought it specifically because I heard it was a "difficult" platformer, i'm finding that not as much a "difficult" game as it a "difficult to play" game. I feel like this game is probably the perfect example to differentiate between the two, if you compare it to something like Super Meat Boy; the controls that are frustrating and clunky as opposed to super precise, the environments and often confusing, and there are many poor design elements (auto saves at times that ruin 100% runs for example). Ultimately, I think it suffers a bit from Ni No Kuni Syndrome, IE, it's a pretty and imaginative, which results in a lot of overlooking shortcomings in other areas. That being said, I definitely don't regret picking it up for $20 though, still very worth it.

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

BabyRyoga posted:

This game is somewhat disappointing to me. As someone who bought it specifically because I heard it was a "difficult" platformer, i'm finding that not as much a "difficult" game as it a "difficult to play" game. I feel like this game is probably the perfect example to differentiate between the two, if you compare it to something like Super Meat Boy; the controls that are frustrating and clunky as opposed to super precise, the environments and often confusing, and there are many poor design elements (auto saves at times that ruin 100% runs for example). Ultimately, I think it suffers a bit from Ni No Kuni Syndrome, IE, it's a pretty and imaginative, which results in a lot of overlooking shortcomings in other areas. That being said, I definitely don't regret picking it up for $20 though, still very worth it.

Not sure if you're playing it on a keyboard or a controller, but if you feel controls are the issue, I've heard it's easier on the controller. I've played it from beginning to end on a keyboard and I think it's fine, but to each his own.

Also, if you're going for a 100% run, it's probably best you use your first playthrough just to explore and enjoy the game and your own pace and then use your second playthrough to get 100% stuff and so on, where you know ahead of time where it auto-saves and so on so you can have as much completed as possible before you reach a spot where you can't go back. Obviously now you know once you leave the Ginso Tree and Forlorn Ruins, that's it. It wouldn't make sense to be able to go back into those areas.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I never play platformers and only found a couple sections of Ori to be even remotely difficult. I don't think anyone is calling this game difficult?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So am I stuck not having a 100% run because I didn't get everything in Forlorn Ruins before setting off the escape accidentally? It's kind of annoying that this will be the only thing stopping me.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's kind of normal for metroidvanias to finish the game once before aiming for 100% though.

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

VelociBacon posted:

I never play platformers and only found a couple sections of Ori to be even remotely difficult. I don't think anyone is calling this game difficult?

I'm not usually into platformers either, I'm definitely more of a first person shooter junkie, which is probably as far of an offshoot from Ori as possible. Ori is definitely a nice breath of fresh air from that kind of thing.

I honestly think Ori is just right when it comes to difficulty and learning curve. Sure, it's not easy, but it's not the hardest and most brutal platformer out there. Some areas will definitely require trial and error and some memorization ("oh, NOW I see where the giant rock that just landed on my head comes from"), but I think just about everyone gets it eventually. The thing with the mushroom ledges that react based on your jumping could have been explained, but even then, within a minute or two, I figured it out. There's games out there that will leave you stumped for days just solely on not being able to figure out what needs to be done.

Some people felt the combat is limited, but I don't see that. Besides zapping everything, you have the ability to bash, ground pound, wall dash, and several other forms of attacking. If anything, possibly changing the form of how Sein attacks in terms of switching it from proximity zapping to launching projectiles and so on is a possibly, but hey, there is a way to upgrade it and change it anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
EvilMike I will ask again in case you missed it before. Gumo(n?) is a dope character. Got any high res/quality asset art of him? I could see going for an Avatar or something...

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

MercuryDragon posted:

Not sure if you're playing it on a keyboard or a controller, but if you feel controls are the issue, I've heard it's easier on the controller. I've played it from beginning to end on a keyboard and I think it's fine, but to each his own.

Also, if you're going for a 100% run, it's probably best you use your first playthrough just to explore and enjoy the game and your own pace and then use your second playthrough to get 100% stuff and so on, where you know ahead of time where it auto-saves and so on so you can have as much completed as possible before you reach a spot where you can't go back. Obviously now you know once you leave the Ginso Tree and Forlorn Ruins, that's it. It wouldn't make sense to be able to go back into those areas.

I plugged in an xbox controller (I don't even have an xbox, I just bought this for Dark Souls) and have been using it since the beginning, and the controls feel super tight and smooth and pretty much perfect. This is probably the intended method for people who are having a rough time on the keyboard.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MercuryDragon posted:

Naw, I was playing it on the bone with a controller. I just don't like the jittery response to recovering from hazard damage that usually leads to more damage or death. Also, the way you control the direction of a bash is down right frustrating. There were a few other little hiccups that I can't recall right now.

I finished the entire game now, and I thought the story was touching, but it could have done without a lot of the cheesiness - like naming stuff with mundane Japanese words, and most of the music (though composed well, it was very very cliche).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

VelociBacon posted:

Just beat the game, it's super good. I'm not at all a platformer guy but this was fantastic.

I second that notion. Really beautiful. Sometimes I started wondering "is this still art or already kitsch?" but then again it was enchanting enough to make me not care either way :)

Moving around and upgrading your abilities felt very enjoyable, and - Ginso tree aside - the difficulty was just right. The tree isn't even that difficult if you keep your cool but as someone who normally doesn't play platformers I felt very stressed having to perform a lot of jumps for a prolonged period under time pressure when the whole game up to that point every challenge was kinda short and could be taken three, four movements at a time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BabyRyoga posted:

Also, the way you control the direction of a bash is down right frustrating.

You straight up crazy! How so?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Probably by not using a gamepad.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
between mobs that dont fire projectiles and the water being based entirely on my position rather than any sense of time, getting out of the ginso tree is one of the worst platforming things ive ever had to do

VelociBacon posted:

Probably by not using a gamepad.

i'm using a gamepad and i kind of hate how bash works

Gibbo posted:

Are you a Bad™?

not usually no. the game isnt really that hard, its just kinda... mediocre. it looks really nice though

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 22, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Verviticus posted:

Are you a Bad™?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Just finished with the game. Incredible.

Would recommend a controller, as holding down shift while using WASD and Space is a bit annoying.

Verviticus posted:

not usually no. the game isnt really that hard

Yeah it is. Sections towards the end are pretty brutal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dark souls is hard. This game is just memorizing max 30 seconds of what you have to do and not making a mistake under pressure with the escape stuff (or in my case trying to not be distracted by the gorgeous animation).

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

Verviticus posted:

Bash just takes practice. In the beginning, I wasn't too crazy about it either, but the more you use it, the more you see how useful it is.

But yeah, by the time you get to the Ginso Tree escape, you pretty much need to have Bash down packed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MercuryDragon posted:

Bash just takes practice. In the beginning, I wasn't too crazy about it either, but the more you use it, the more you see how useful it is.

But yeah, by the time you get to the Ginso Tree escape, you pretty much need to have Bash down packed.

That's the problem with the Ginso Tree escape, is that it wants to to have mastered Bash even though you basically just got it. That on top of the pressure of it being a timed event with some parts of it being rather finicky (the jumping frogs, the spiders that spit) all leads to kind of putting you on tilt and making that section pretty difficult. After playing through it a third time, I still found myself getting mad at the Ginso Tree escape whereas I didn't feel that way the second time I played through the ruins and final gauntlet. It's a pretty tough section for what is pretty early in the game.

I don't agree with the posts saying the game isn't difficult, although some are also comparing this game to Dark Souls or Super Meat Boy when talking about its difficulty and it's really not like either of them. The temple stages in Donkey Kong Country Returns I think are a better comparison.

If you're just starting out, go the ability route that takes you to triple jumping. Holy cow that makes platforming so much better (and fun). You really don't need your lazer attacks to be all that powerful. Stomp is one of the best moves against enemies

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

VelociBacon posted:

Dark souls is hard. This game is just memorizing max 30 seconds of what you have to do and not making a mistake under pressure with the escape stuff (or in my case trying to not be distracted by the gorgeous animation).

Meh, Dark Souls isn't really hard either, and I'd say it's even more affected by memorization than this game. When you know what the enemies do, and where to go, it's piss easy.
The difficulty of this game is all over the place, though. At times you get some really chill jumping and fighting areas, then the next area feels like it's taking inspiration from precision platformers.

Finished up the game with around 60 deaths. Was a pretty fun and cute experience, thumbs up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I don't agree with the posts saying the game isn't difficult, although some are also comparing this game to Dark Souls or Super Meat Boy when talking about its difficulty and it's really not like either of them.

It's sort of a mix, I think. SMB is gleefully brutal and pushes your skills to the max. Dark souls is unforgiving, but ultimately patience, planning, and a cool head are all you need. This game has some SMB moments, some Dark Souls moments, and some moments that are quiet and relaxing respites.

This game is very much an adventure game and relies on area gimmicks to drive level design, so there's a variety of design philosophies throughout the game

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Feenix posted:

You straight up crazy! How so?

For the sake of bouncing off of things, it was extremely easy, but for the sake of reflecting things in a specific direction, it was frustrating as poo poo. For the first second or so it was hyper sensitive, then rigid. Also, it like reverses the analog stick randomly midway through. I felt like I would get more accurate results using the dpad to aim when reflecting, which is a bit obnoxious.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BabyRyoga posted:

For the sake of bouncing off of things, it was extremely easy, but for the sake of reflecting things in a specific direction, it was frustrating as poo poo. For the first second or so it was hyper sensitive, then rigid. Also, it like reverses the analog stick randomly midway through. I felt like I would get more accurate results using the dpad to aim when reflecting, which is a bit obnoxious.

Huh? I have no idea what you're describing here. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you sure you don't have a controller problem?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Finally beat it, that was a really great game, with atmosphere and visuals just as much as the actual gameplay.

For whatever reason, I not only did not have a problem with Bash, but I used it nonstop, constantly, for everything - I kept on getting to locations I wasn't supposed to without more abilities because with Bash you can pretty much juggle an enemy or a projectile to get anywhere, with double/triple jump and the feather making it only easier. When it finally got to the point where the fireball spitting energy things were around for self-transportation in the volcano it was already second nature. Bash was a really satisfying, fun ability, for me. I could see it being irritating with mouse/keyboard though, or if it didn't stop time when you were aiming.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I guess if you didn't have triple jump that game was actually probably a lot harder.

e: Did anyone think that the charge up jump thing was shoehorned in? It felt like it was barely needed except to get past walls that they could easily have just not put in. In addition, I can't remember ever having to use it under time pressure or in some way that I couldn't really take my time with. Maybe it's for the people who want to go back and 100% the game?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 23, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I guess if you didn't have triple jump that game was actually probably a lot harder.

e: Did anyone think that the charge up jump thing was shoehorned in? It felt like it was barely needed except to get past walls that they could easily have just not put in. In addition, I can't remember ever having to use it under time pressure or in some way that I couldn't really take my time with. Maybe it's for the people who want to go back and 100% the game?

You could get around a lot without it in the later parts, true, but it made some parts a lot smoother and felt nice, more the cling to wall jump than the ground one, but both had uses. You could charge up the jump while running for quickly leaping through something that'd take more time normally. It'd feel better if you had more time to use it though.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Wolpertinger posted:

You could get around a lot without it in the later parts, true, but it made some parts a lot smoother and felt nice, more the cling to wall jump than the ground one, but both had uses. You could charge up the jump while running for quickly leaping through something that'd take more time normally. It'd feel better if you had more time to use it though.

I would legit pay a couple bucks for a story free, platforming challenge level pack.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Wolpertinger posted:

Finally beat it, that was a really great game, with atmosphere and visuals just as much as the actual gameplay.

For whatever reason, I not only did not have a problem with Bash, but I used it nonstop, constantly, for everything - I kept on getting to locations I wasn't supposed to without more abilities because with Bash you can pretty much juggle an enemy or a projectile to get anywhere, with double/triple jump and the feather making it only easier. When it finally got to the point where the fireball spitting energy things were around for self-transportation in the volcano it was already second nature. Bash was a really satisfying, fun ability, for me. I could see it being irritating with mouse/keyboard though, or if it didn't stop time when you were aiming.

Yeah. I actually accidentally did the Ruins skip my first time the same way speedrunners do. By using the birds to get through that spike gauntlet. I ended up doing the ruins because I decided to go for my objective before I explored that new area fully. Bash is useful, and I feel it's pretty responsive and intuitive. It's fine if other people had trouble with it, but I sure didn't.

Ginso tree also wasn't that bad for me, but I think that's perception more than skill. I died around 10 times (though I was trying to get the exp orbs too), but it just didn't feel frustrating for me.

The only part that was frustrating for me was the stupid gravity mechanic in the ruins. I didn't like the way the controls were mapped when you were on stuff, and I kept expecting the blocks to pull me to them (think Super Mario Galaxy) rather than have to explicitly land on them. That last one was my bad, but it messed with me a lot.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 23, 2015

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

e: Did anyone think that the charge up jump thing was shoehorned in?

I did until I discovered you can charge it while moving, which made it a lot more useful and fun.

quote:

I can't remember ever having to use it under time pressure or in some way that I couldn't really take my time with. Maybe it's for the people who want to go back and 100% the game?

Makes some sections in the Mt Horu escape much easier

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 23, 2015

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

guppy posted:

Huh? I have no idea what you're describing here. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you sure you don't have a controller problem?

So, right when I would execute the bash, my analog stick would be hyper sensitive for a brief moment. After that, it would slow down, but the directions would reverse if I traveled past the halfway point in the circle. Say I was bashing a projectile at 9:00 for example, and I wanted to send it to 7:30 by aiming at 1:30. If I moved the analog stick in one direction to reach 3:00 in the brief moment of hyper sensitivity, I would have to move it in the OPPOSITE direction to get from 3:00 to 1:30. This is why it was much easier to use the d-pad for such, since I would simply tap up+right and go to 1:30 right away.

Like I said, though, that's obnoxious. Why not just have a less sensitive analog stick that doesn't confuse you by reversing itself part of the way through the momentary freeze that occurs when you bash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
drat yo what's up with your controller

• Locked thread