Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

EvilMike posted:

You can actually do a 100% run in under 3 hours, even if you die a bunch of times! There's a surprising amount of leeway.

I'm always fascinated by what developers intended/anticipated when games get broken down in speed runs. How much of this run was not intended or anticipated (http://www.twitch.tv/whitewingedraven/c/6345264)?

Adam Bowen posted:

The combat system and atmosphere aren't as good as Super Metroid, same with the level design which is the main thing that Metroid-likes never manage to quite master. I also don't really like how "zoomed out" the game feels, Ori takes up almost nothing of the screen. Obviously that is better in terms of letting you see what's around you, but I find a closer view feels more immersive. One thing that really stands out though is how insanely good the movement is as you unlock new abilities. It's really a joy to get around in this game.

Metroid is more combat focused than platforming while this game is more platforming focused than combat. Personally, I prefer a platforming focus, but 2d platforming is also one of my favorite genres and I have 106% super meat boy and stuff like that. I don't find either game more atmospheric than the other really, it's probably about the same. I actually agree that a zoomed out view makes it harder to get immersed in a game, that's one of the drawbacks of being platforming-focused, you have to be able to see ahead a decent bit otherwise the platforming can only ever consist of small pits and stuff.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Totally. I don't know how well the game is selling, but I hope they are celebrating the glowing reviews they're getting. I just really really love platformers, they are my favorite genre, and it's not often that one comes around that looks as good as this and has controls that are so tight. I'd say the last great platformer I played was Shovel Knight and then Tropical Freeze before that. It's really really fun to leap and jump around even completely safe parts of the the forest in this game. So I hope in the future we get another awesome platformer from these guys cause they've got that poo poo down.

It's a little more combat focused, but Castle in the Darkness is a really solid platformer that came out recently. Slight disclaimer about its difficulty, especially if one is the type of person to miss out on secret walls and stuff and thereby the upgrade loot that comes from it.

• Locked thread