Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

jfc I've died like 30 times on this stupid loving escape from the rising water poo poo

If it weren't for all those skill orbs being a pain in the rear end to both get and survive getting, I'd have done it in a few tries. But I tried to get every single one, and it took forever.

The Forlorn Ruins gravity mechanic is something that seems like it should be super clunky, especially the blocks that let you change your gravity orientation, but it's not. It's super polished like everything else in this game. The way it works story-wise is super weird to reconcile in my head though, even if I think of it as science-magic

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Experiencing something that may or may not be a bug. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious because otherwise I'm out three hours.

Just finished the Ginsu tree, cleared out the area with the water and got stomp. I begin heading west on the map and go into the chamber with the map stone above where I am, and it plays a cutscene with the Owl. After the cutscene, I'm in the chamber down below (where I am now). I saved right away not realizing anything was up and not wanting to re watch a cutscene, and now I can't seem to get out.

Help?

Something similar happened to me once before, but thankfully it didn't screw me like that.

I was down in the caves where Gumo dumps you, and on the way back up you have to do that one ridiculous Super Meat Boy -esque platforming challenge in order to open a shortcut. I saved after getting back up, quit the game, reloaded the next day, went back down to find something, and realized the shortcut was closed again. I think there's something off about how they save progress that causes things like that to revert for some reason.

Having now finished the Forlorn Ruins, I can decisively say that it's my least favorite part of the game.

The gravity mechanic, as I mentioned before, is weird and I can't parse it in my head. I think they could have done more to justify how it works with the visuals. Secondly, Gumo's part in the narrative of this section didn't make sense to me. He wanted to help Ori upon realizing what happened to his species, so he took that orb and caused the whole place to break down and nearly kill Ori?

My least favorite part of the Ruins was the escape sequence. The icicles were unfair because if I was right in the path of one, I couldn't move fast enough to dodge, I couldn't figure out how to open the first "door" because in all the visual chaos I didn't realize the spitter's spit was destroying it, and the falling rocks were even more unfair than the icicles because there was no clear indication of how you were supposed to dodge them, or what triggered them in the first place. That whole sequence seemed like a goddamn mess to me, which is strange given how polished and well designed nearly everything else is.

Also, I'm rather confused by Kuro's backstory. Why would the light kill his hatchlings? Isn't the light supposed to heal, or at least be neutral? There's been no indication that it hurts anyone before that. Does this get explained later?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Perpetual posted:

Gumo's motivation in the Ruins will make sense shortly. As for Kuro they never really explain why the light from the tree is so damaging to her babies, but my guess would be that they owls are sort of naturally dark, in like an elemental way. Kind of makes sense in a fairytale/myth context.

As for the poster stuck in the cave, yeah unfortunately I think there's no legit way out if where you are. I you look at the steam discussion forum for the game there is a topic where someone has helpfully made a little utility to enable debug mode on a save so you can unstick yourself. I'd link it, but I'm phone posting right now.

I just saw the cuscene explaining what Gumo was doing. :unsmith:

As for Kuro, I think this is one of those times in the age-old show vs. tell debate where telling is a better option to showing, despite being exposition. The game wanted us to infer that Kuro's kind are hurt by the light, but since that runs contradictory to the fact that the light is representative of the life of the forest. But that would have been fine if put in the context of the traditional good vs. evil conflict, but then we Kuro's humanizing backstory which rules that out and leaves us in an awkward spot. If instead it had simply told us that Kuro's kind were hurt by the light then we as the player would be able to take that for granted as a narrative basis.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

EvilMike posted:

So, I watched this, and I'd say almost everything he does is intended (either built into the game, or discovered well before release), except for a few things which I'll list.

1. The trick with exiting-reloading the game in order to skip some cutscenes is hilarious, and was totally unknown to us. We don't want to patch this out, and instead are focusing on fixing cases of this which might break savefiles.

2. Skipping forlorn ruins wasn't intended. Doesn't break anything though, so it's fine.

3. Skipping half of mount horu by charge jumping through a lavafall was unintended. I'm not so sure I like this one because it can be game breaking unless you use the cutscene bug to get out of here.

Overall though I'd say there's more stuff he missed. There are a lot of rooms he did the slow way and didn't mention a faster route existing. Also, he needs to get better at using chargeflame, and especially bash. With bash, there's a way to get a much higher airspeed than normal, but he didn't use this technique at all, when it would've saved an insane amount of time.

Oh wow, there is a dev in the thread!

It sounds like your team has put a lot of thought into the speed-running aspect of this game, considering how even such a crazy run is missing out on entire techniques.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as a sequel goes, they could always make a spiritual successor with a similar design philosophy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I don't agree with the posts saying the game isn't difficult, although some are also comparing this game to Dark Souls or Super Meat Boy when talking about its difficulty and it's really not like either of them.

It's sort of a mix, I think. SMB is gleefully brutal and pushes your skills to the max. Dark souls is unforgiving, but ultimately patience, planning, and a cool head are all you need. This game has some SMB moments, some Dark Souls moments, and some moments that are quiet and relaxing respites.

This game is very much an adventure game and relies on area gimmicks to drive level design, so there's a variety of design philosophies throughout the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

That was an easter egg? I didn't think much of it when that happened.

e: I didn't know the Wilhelm scream was a thing, that's why.

• Locked thread