Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
So this game sucked me in like I wouldn't have believed a game could and in the last week have completed it three times in various manner. I was watching JP McDaniel stream while I was at home sick, watching him do the Gumo trap, and said 'yeah I need to try this.'

The first time once I got bash, I was sort of frustrated and didn't know if I wanted to keep going. The bash mechanic was so flaky at first to me, and I couldn't effectively use it, then other tools got thrown at me. By the time I got through the first Kuro escape after the ruins I was sure I'd only finish the game to just find out how the story ended, as that sequence stumped me for at least 30 minutes before I figured it out. I warmed back up to it during Sorrow Pass, which is where I also got triple jump the first time through. The lava escape also took me a really, really long time because I kept trying to triple jump the first rock instead of, you know, power jumping to get over it which is far faster and easier. It took about an hour to finish the final escape, and I was pretty frustrated by the end, mostly because there was one section that kicked my rear end because I cannot stop myself from pressing down at the wrong time, which kept putting me behind. Fortunately the ending was good enough (the eyes definitely got misty at the end) that it all felt worth it.

The second time I wanted to go up the middle ability tree to find where everything was, and this time by the time I got bash I was no longer poo poo at it, and started to realize just how powerful you can get Ori before you head into the second third of the game, and once I got past the ruins, I just flew through the rest of it. I was going for 100% on that run, and I didn't get it! I 100%ed the map because I made backups and managed to find the Mount Horu map stone, but I looked over the entire map for a good 20 minutes before going in because I was at 12/15 for energy cells and they weren't showing on the map (I had every ability by then, isn't one of them showing energy cells?). I had backup saves, but I had literally no idea where to look, and then while playing through some areas to practice the escapes I screwed up my saves so nuked everything. Still need to go back and get all cells, although that would just be for giggles really, I can already see that energy cells past like 5 or 6 are unnecessary unless you save every three seconds or only attack with charge.

Third time, tried to go for immortal, which I still want to do. I still have yet to even get to the Ginso tree without dying once, so I've got some work to do there. This time around, however, I got out of the ruins with something like 2 hours on the clock and decided to make a beeline for the end to try and get speed run. Got it with with something like 6 minutes to spare, and nailed both the lava escape (by far the one I'm worst at) and the final escape. I think this round the only times I died were in the early bits (Playing for hours with all the later tools then going back and not having them for some of the early sections can be agonizing), during the first escape where I missed a lantern and a spider didn't help me out, and once or twice trying to speed through things in Mount Horu. My run from the top of Sorrow Pass to Mount Horu was something like 3 minutes, and it's revealed a lot about some mechanics that I think I was doing less than ideal (mostly involving stopping and being careful when I kill stuff). It's also the sequence that proved to me a no-ability run is totally doable, just going to be death laden while I adjust to the lack of certain things! I'm also in full agreement with EvilMike, in this run I still got a massive amount of items, with correct routing and timing on getting certain pickups you can easily do 100% in 3 hours or less.

If there's one unfortunate thing about the game that irritates me, its that the saving system isn't quite as robust as I'd like. It's rather clunky to have to save and copy the save before continuing if you don't want to get locked out of certain areas. It would have been nice to have the option to select a save file and go back to any time you saved at a well or something, or go back to your last soul link. I have hyped the hell out of this game to my friends, and saved before a lot of good sequences so I can show off the game, but it's taken all ten slots now :(

This game is absolutely amazing, and I'm torn between wanting some DLC and/or a sequel to see and play more, or for this to be it because its so well polished, tight, beautiful, and fun that I'm afraid more will ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
So I didn't really notice this till yesterday because I always went back to misty woods to get an ability, but when you fly up from the ruins to sorrow pass, the camera zooms way out and shows you an absolutely gorgeous shot of Ori flying up in front of Mount Horu starting to erupt. I tried for an hour to get a good high resolution shot of this, but I wasn't able to.

Anyone able to get that shot in background image size / resolution without catching any of the terrain or the birds? Would be most grateful.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Cephalocidal posted:

Can't remember if I got a shot of that specifically or not; went through the trouble a bit ago of hooking the game up to a 4K display, turned on debug and turned off the HUD/damage/Sein and just ran around taking screenshots for a bit. https://www.dropbox.com/s/515hkimjwof9bgj/ori_4k.zip?dl=0

Perfect, you had a couple of really good shots including almost exactly what I was looking for.

• Locked thread