Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Game is awesome so far. Bit stuck about an hour in.

Above the entrance to the swamp -- don't think I can get in there yet, just to the health shrine or whatever -- there are some rocks that glow green that look like they're meant to be opened. There are some greenish enemies nearby that roll after you and blow up on contact; I assume I'm supposed to use those to blow open the green rocks, but I can't find a way to get the enemies to the rocks.

Possible roadblocks:

• I've found some wooden doors. No idea how to open them, I've been assuming I'm not supposed to yet, or that I'm supposed to find a switch.

• I think I've now passed two different energy gates that require five energy to open. My current max is three. Maybe I missed some upgrades?

• There's a giant enemy near the green enemies, it's red and floats in the air and shoots a laser that instantly kills you. It's impervious to regular attacks but charged ones do seem to hurt it. I don't think I can actually kill it at my current energy capacity, but maybe I'm wrong. I would have tried, but I had to go to work, plus the area around there is REALLY dangerous since both that and the green things can kill you instantly.

Advice appreciated.

So far I haven't found anything too hard platforming-wise, when does this become super difficult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Syndlig posted:

I'm only about 36% done according to my save file, but I can already say this game easily surpasses Aquaria as my favorite Metroidvania-style game. It scratches the same itch of whimsical and beautiful yet still slightly unsettling, and I'm just super digging it.

Funny you should say that. My tablet wallpaper has been Aquaria for years, I changed it to Ori today.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Beat this today, clocked in just over 7 hours of playtime. loving great. Thanks EvilMike & Co., I know it's only March but this will be a serious GOTY contender for me.

Only one thing I didn't like so much: the timed escapes. I don't love time pressure under the best of circumstances, and I didn't like that I had to do the whole thing over if I hosed up anywhere in the sequence.

I was also a bit surprised by the abrupt ending. Thought there would at least be some final sequence after the escape from Mt. Horu.

Anyway, can't say enough good things about this. Great game.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'd love more Ori, but the game sports a $20 price tag at launch. 7 hours doesn't seem at all unreasonable to me in that light. And honestly, everything about that is perfect for me. I'm pretty busy these days so I prefer my games not be too long, and $20 is cheap enough for me to pick it up on a whim. I'm happy to have 7 hours, all of them wonderful, at that price.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I "want a sequel" in the sense that I want to feel about another new game the way I do about this one. In practice "more of the same" would probably be a letdown if only because it wouldn't be novel. So I guess I'd like a new, similarly high quality game, and am interested to see what the studio does next.

I had no idea this took four years to make. I shudder to think of the kind of business this would have to do to pay for four years of development time. I hope it's selling like gangbusters.

I love 2D platformers, but a good Metroidvania-type makes me happy like few other genres. I haven't played one I was happy with since the last DS Castlevania, and that's been years. I played stuff like Guacamelee, but found it and games like it much too linear. Ori's design was a breath of fresh air.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BabyRyoga posted:

For the sake of bouncing off of things, it was extremely easy, but for the sake of reflecting things in a specific direction, it was frustrating as poo poo. For the first second or so it was hyper sensitive, then rigid. Also, it like reverses the analog stick randomly midway through. I felt like I would get more accurate results using the dpad to aim when reflecting, which is a bit obnoxious.

Huh? I have no idea what you're describing here. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you sure you don't have a controller problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BabyRyoga posted:

I dunno, it was pretty much brand new out of the box with console :( bought it a few months ago, but this game is the first thing i've played on the bone since purchase.

Yeah sorry that's a hardware problem I'm pretty sure. I played on PC with a 360 controller and didn't have any kind of issue like you're describing. No doubt it colored your opinion of the game but i dont think it's the game at fault.

• Locked thread