Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's the rough estimate on length on this one? Any special extra stuff like Hard Mode or fun extras to do afterwards?

I'm pretty much solid on it already I'm just debating if I should pick it up sooner, or later.

10 hours seems about right for a first playthrough. Some people do a bit less, some people a bit more... depends on how good you are and how much optional stuff you feel like doing.

There's no hard mode, but there are some very hard achievements. The two that stand out are beat the game without dying, and beat the game in less than 3 hours. If you really want to go for it, there are also leaderboards for speed running and low death counts. I think it's a lot of fun to discover various movement tricks, shortcuts, etc. We tried to make it so a lot of the puzzles/challenges have some kind of quicker, alternate solution that isn't obvious at first. It won't unlock any extra hidden content or anything, but IMO it's a very different game when you're trying to play it at a "high level".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Syndlig posted:

Credits say "Powered by Unity" so I'm guessing either Unity 2 or 3.

It's a custom build of unity 5. Although the game itself was mostly made in the unity 4 editor.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Experiencing something that may or may not be a bug. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious because otherwise I'm out three hours.

Just finished the Ginsu tree, cleared out the area with the water and got stomp. I begin heading west on the map and go into the chamber with the map stone above where I am, and it plays a cutscene with the Owl. After the cutscene, I'm in the chamber down below (where I am now). I saved right away not realizing anything was up and not wanting to re watch a cutscene, and now I can't seem to get out.

Help?

Wow that sucks. Sorry this happened to you, a patch is coming to prevent issues like this in the future though. This is the PC version, right? Can you upload your save file somewhere and send me a PM with a link to it? I'll make sure our coders see it. I can probably debug you out of there too.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Perpetual posted:

Gumo's motivation in the Ruins will make sense shortly. As for Kuro they never really explain why the light from the tree is so damaging to her babies, but my guess would be that they owls are sort of naturally dark, in like an elemental way. Kind of makes sense in a fairytale/myth context.
Yeah this is pretty much how it works. Kuro isn't just some ordinary owl, she's more like a pissed off demi-god, with a natural connection to darkness / the night, although it's never directly stated like that in-game. Of course, that doesn't mean she's evil. Just very, very angry. And maybe a bit dimwitted, since she built her nest so close to the spirit tree.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Fano posted:

Currently stuck on one of the sequences of what I assume to be the final boss: In Mount Horu getting chased by the giant owl, after I dive into the water and cross over to the other side of the cave, I'm not sure what combination of skills to use to get across the next area, there are flaming boulders falling but I can't seem to boost off of them, and the super jump doesn't take me high enough.

Tips?

Try bashing the smaller rocks at the top. The bottom part of that shaft has wind, so you can glide there as well.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

I like exploring nooks and crannies and my first playthrough clocked in at juuust over 10 hours. I also heard through the grapevine that the Immortal achievement can be had by saving constantly and just reloading the save if you should happen to die, which makes it a lot more reasonable. I'll be playing this again very soon to try and get more of the achievements.
Yeah, if you want to cheat to get that achievement, this is one way to do it.. It's because the game auto-saves when you respawn, so if you exit the game when you die but before respawning, it won't save your deathcount or playtime. If you get the Immortal achievement, you're only allowed to brag about it if you didn't abuse this!!

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Go playing Binding of Isaac where you have to beat the game with a character that can't even get hit once. Seven times.

And you realize the actual speedrun for this game is already sub 1hr? 3 hours isn't a speed run. It's "Playing through quickly knowing where to go and not mucking about backtracking after getting each upgrade"

You can actually do a 100% run in under 3 hours, even if you die a bunch of times! There's a surprising amount of leeway.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

So It Goes posted:

I'm always fascinated by what developers intended/anticipated when games get broken down in speed runs. How much of this run was not intended or anticipated (http://www.twitch.tv/whitewingedraven/c/6345264)?

So, I watched this, and I'd say almost everything he does is intended (either built into the game, or discovered well before release), except for a few things which I'll list.

1. The trick with exiting-reloading the game in order to skip some cutscenes is hilarious, and was totally unknown to us. We don't want to patch this out, and instead are focusing on fixing cases of this which might break savefiles.

2. Skipping forlorn ruins wasn't intended. Doesn't break anything though, so it's fine.

3. Skipping half of mount horu by charge jumping through a lavafall was unintended. I'm not so sure I like this one because it can be game breaking unless you use the cutscene bug to get out of here.

Overall though I'd say there's more stuff he missed. There are a lot of rooms he did the slow way and didn't mention a faster route existing. Also, he needs to get better at using chargeflame, and especially bash. With bash, there's a way to get a much higher airspeed than normal, but he didn't use this technique at all, when it would've saved an insane amount of time.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

MCXD posted:

I feel similarly, including the part about a sequel or extension potentially ruining how much of a tight experience it was. If they made another game in the same sort of style, I think it should be a new different sort of setting, new story, new characters. Spiritual succession rather than a literal sequel.

We don't have any desire to make a boring rehash of Ori and the Blind Forest, anyway. If we make a sequel, it shouldn't just be the same game with different levels + a few new features tacked on.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Cephalocidal posted:

Beat the game, had a blast, good difficulty. Only complaint is that I had to restart after an hour and a half because I saved in an impossible place - on the way down to get the double jump there's a sort of loop off to the right that doesn't have much in it tucked behind some spikes. You can't get in there without getting hurt unless you have the double-jump, but you CAN get in there. And then save. And then be hosed, because you can't get up the shaft on the right around the wall spikes without being able to double jump. On the upside I was back to the same point in like 20 minutes on my second run through, so I didn't lose too much time. Still annoying.

Yeah sorry about that issue, it's lovely and should've been caught before release. I can at least say it's one of the (many) issues that's getting fixed in the first patch. You'll still be able to get into that area without double jump if you tank the spike damage, but you'll actually be able to get back out too, without having to take damage. Anyone who saved there would be able to escape after updating too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

.Z. posted:

Hey EvilMike,

Are there any plans to release some posters or prints? I really would like to hang up some of the artwork.

That would be pretty cool. Not really sure if there's a plan for it though, I'm not involved with any merchandising stuff.

• Locked thread