Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

guppy posted:

So far I haven't found anything too hard platforming-wise, when does this become super difficult?

There are some enemies that can be tough to deal with. This this fire/rock elemental thing that shoots a loving fire lazer that's pretty like "holy poo poo" and you basically have to run past him.

The game is loving beautiful jesus. It's easily one of the prettiest games I've ever seen.

It's not the easiest game, but if you've played any of the DKC: Returns or Tropical Freeze it feels like that where the difficulty is tough but fair. The only thing is it has the They Bleed Pixels thing with save points where you create your own save point (beyond the life wells) so you have to be strategic with your placement of them.

It's a platformer which is my favorite genre so gameplay wise I'm having a blast with it but holy hell I can't write enough words about how absolutely gorgeous this game is.

Slaan posted:

The Steam page says that it highly recommends using a controller for this. Has anyone played it with normal keyboard + mouse?

It works as well as Trine does with a Mouse + Keyboard, in that, it works perfectly fine. I feel like the precision jumps would be easier if I had a controller but beyond that it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jesus, the part where you have to escape the tree while it's being flooded is absolutely kicking my rear end. The least they could do is let me put down a check point midway through :psyduck:

edit: Beat it. Holy poo poo that was hard

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 12, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a certian point later on when you get all the abilities, it does feel like the game kind of expects you to have more fingers than you actually have. I wish the moveset was a bit simpler.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just beat the game. Amazing game, although the ending of the story felt bit... I dunno. It didn't feel as good as it should have because they made the big bad evil villain into probably the most sympathetic character in the game?? I kind of felt bad helping the tree that MURDERED HER CHILDREN. Like everything that happened to the forest is because of the tree killing mama bird's babies. And in the end the mama dies because of the tree! The game's final shot is her last egg hatching so it's meant to end on an uplifting note but it felt kind of like a bummer! Like the ending of the story doesn't feel unsatisfying (like Wolftenstein) but it did make me feel like I was kind of on the side of the actual bad guy.

Amazing, genuinely challenging, GORGEOUS game though. I hope people remember this game when people do their end of the year lists and awards, cause I'm still salty literally everyone forgot about Tropical Freeze :argh:

I'll say the final part may be a bit TOO hard (and I know the point of the game is to be hard but), and could've been dialed down just a tiny bit. Near the end of it I had to look up a walkthrough on how to get through the end, and you basically have to do everything perfectly or RIP

But yeah. I want more companies to make games that look like this game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Doing a replay on it now, and man I regret not doing the blue skill tree the first time. I did the red one on my first playthrough, which made me stronger but drat the blue tree gives so many more life saving things. I have a billion blue and green orbs and I'm only on the Ginso Tree. I'm also searching around more for things. There's no way I'll be able to 100% it with things hidden in the gauntlets but, I already feel way more powerful than I did before just from finding more things early on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yo, how on earth do I get this thing on the top right? There's a spitting worm thing on the left but he only pops out if you're to his left down at the bottom. He doesn't come out at all if you're anywhere on his right, so I'm copmletely stumped at what you hvae to do to break that stompy floor. It doesn't look like there's anyway to drop down into there, no way in from the left, the only thing I can think of is i need the wormy spit to shoot at me to launch his spitball at the floor... except he doesn't come out where I can do that! What do I dooooo :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I actually forgot the rocket jump thing could break through walls since playing it the first time. Wellp

Adam Bowen posted:

What do you do in any Metroid game when you absolutely don't have the tools to reach something?

This game is better than any Metroid :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Trochanter posted:

also, warp to secret world!

There's easter eggs like that all over the place. I saw that one earlier, and I saw a triforce painted on a wall on the swamp.

Adam Bowen posted:

The combat system and atmosphere aren't as good as Super Metroid, same with the level design which is the main thing that Metroid-likes never manage to quite master. I also don't really like how "zoomed out" the game feels, Ori takes up almost nothing of the screen. Obviously that is better in terms of letting you see what's around you, but I find a closer view feels more immersive.

I disagree with all of that. I could never get into the Metroid games, but this game just hits all the right notes for me. I like the level design better, and the atmosphere and combat. Honestly Metroid just doesn't do anything for me, but Ori is one of my favorite games to come out in a while, with the exception of the gauntlets being a bit too unforgiving.

The game being so freakin gorgeous helps a lot too though. There was a point where I was running along and just watching in awe at the background move behind me and how much it looked like I was watching a hand drawn animated movie with painted backgrounds.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 18, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Beat the game again, 100% this time. A controller makes the game SO much easier. The final gauntlet, that took me like probably 30+ tries to get through the first time, this time only took me 2 (I made a stupid mistake near the end that was totally my own fault). The other ones only ook me one try. Granted I had already experienced it once so I mostly remembered what was coming but. I kind of take back what I said about those gauntlets. They're super unforgiving if you're playing with a mouse and keyboard. They're not really a problem if you're using a controller.

So yeah, I wholly recommend playing this game with a controller. It basically erased my only real complaint. The missable collectables are annoying if you don't know they're there in the first place I suppose, and a fast travel system would've been nice so I didn't have to run so far to get a single collectable, but those are pretty minor. If you go for 100%, you'll max out EVERY ability tree, and you'll feel like a tiny little Stitch god. I hope a sequel is planned cause this was too fun. Ideally a sequel that starts you off with all your abilities and designs challenges around that. Incorporate Gumo and Baby Kuro into playable parts!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MercuryDragon posted:

I figure it's best to give the devs some time to enjoy the champagne before any next big project is planned

Totally. I don't know how well the game is selling, but I hope they are celebrating the glowing reviews they're getting. I just really really love platformers, they are my favorite genre, and it's not often that one comes around that looks as good as this and has controls that are so tight. I'd say the last great platformer I played was Shovel Knight and then Tropical Freeze before that. It's really really fun to leap and jump around even completely safe parts of the the forest in this game. So I hope in the future we get another awesome platformer from these guys cause they've got that poo poo down.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MercuryDragon posted:

Bash just takes practice. In the beginning, I wasn't too crazy about it either, but the more you use it, the more you see how useful it is.

But yeah, by the time you get to the Ginso Tree escape, you pretty much need to have Bash down packed.

That's the problem with the Ginso Tree escape, is that it wants to to have mastered Bash even though you basically just got it. That on top of the pressure of it being a timed event with some parts of it being rather finicky (the jumping frogs, the spiders that spit) all leads to kind of putting you on tilt and making that section pretty difficult. After playing through it a third time, I still found myself getting mad at the Ginso Tree escape whereas I didn't feel that way the second time I played through the ruins and final gauntlet. It's a pretty tough section for what is pretty early in the game.

I don't agree with the posts saying the game isn't difficult, although some are also comparing this game to Dark Souls or Super Meat Boy when talking about its difficulty and it's really not like either of them. The temple stages in Donkey Kong Country Returns I think are a better comparison.

If you're just starting out, go the ability route that takes you to triple jumping. Holy cow that makes platforming so much better (and fun). You really don't need your lazer attacks to be all that powerful. Stomp is one of the best moves against enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Best easter egg ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNVRBpFSR4

• Locked thread