Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also I played plenty during the days I was going at it and got to like 4k health on my lightbinder with a rating of I think about 3200 prestige rating. I saw people that where at 20k health with ratings of over 15k . I have no idea how they got there so fast unless they have 24 hour bots or something.

Equipping weapons on your other classes increased your stats for every class, which is supposedly a bug. So if you took the time to keep all of your classes geared up with weapons up to your max proficiency through doing impossible level dungeons, you get inflated prestige, which allows you to open more ether capsules for free sparks. Which you can then get more proficiency with, to get better weapons, to open more capsules, to get more sparks, etc.

I played a lot during cbt1 and unlocked slayer, which was a thousand times more fun to play than paladin. I think one of the biggest problems with the game is that the initial class selection might not have one you enjoy, and it kind of sucks having to spend a lot of time playing something you don't enjoy to unlock something you might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

So Russian launch is hitting imminently and we have some more info:

13 classes at launch, 11 of those huge open areas, 33 of the 1-3 man dungeons, 8 5-mans, 5 pvp things, godmode

The 4 new classes are monk, witch, lancer, and alchemist. The latter 2 are tank and support, respectively.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

That is a lot of classes to choose from.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I think I'll try archer in CBT2, gunner was a lot of fun in CBT1 and from what I hear archer is a weaker dps but more suited to kiting. I need to go find some information on alchemist.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Chocobo posted:

I need to go find some information on alchemist.

There won't be too much until Russian OBT is in full swing and people actually make it out to the node to get to it.

There's also a lot of back and forth about the weekly caps being aimed around 27 hours of play a week. That's when you should start hitting sparks and credits will come a bit after that. You can still gear farm, in addition to getting missionary supplies, but there is a hard cap after that where it's just temporary bonuses for the week and celestial threads.

I'm pro-cap but it seems to be a minority opinion on the official forums.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lux Aeterna posted:

Capping advancement always gets under my skin.

Like, I don't have a problem with it in theory, but if you just have a set cap across the board then people who start playing later (or people who take time off) can never 'catch up' to the people who were there at day 1 and never stopped playing. It's like the divide in EvE, I could start a character today but I would forever be a decade behind the people who have been playing since release.

Maybe some sort of graduated cap would work better (speaking in general here, not for this particular game) - something like, if you start a character 6 month after the game goes live, you still have the daily/weekly progression cap, but it's only a soft cap. You can continue getting bigger numbers, at a slower (and probably dwindling rate), until at some point you 'catch up' with the most it would have been possible to gain by then, and then you are hard-capped?

Anyway, just found this thread and the game looks interesting. Kind of a weird science-fantasy aesthetic, I like. I've never actually played TERA but how does the combat compare to GW2 or Neverwinter?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lux Aeterna posted:

There won't be too much until Russian OBT is in full swing and people actually make it out to the node to get to it.

There's also a lot of back and forth about the weekly caps being aimed around 27 hours of play a week. That's when you should start hitting sparks and credits will come a bit after that. You can still gear farm, in addition to getting missionary supplies, but there is a hard cap after that where it's just temporary bonuses for the week and celestial threads.

I hope that means you'll get sparks and credits up until 27 hours instead of after 27 hours.

Also, grogs who post on official forums sperg against game features that make a game less grindy and more fun. More news at 11.

WarLocke posted:

Like, I don't have a problem with it in theory, but if you just have a set cap across the board then people who start playing later (or people who take time off) can never 'catch up' to the people who were there at day 1 and never stopped playing. It's like the divide in EvE, I could start a character today but I would forever be a decade behind the people who have been playing since release.

There will always be someone spergier than you with more imaginary poo poo in any online game. Hope this helps.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 22, 2015

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Maybe some sort of graduated cap would work better (speaking in general here, not for this particular game) - something like, if you start a character 6 month after the game goes live, you still have the daily/weekly progression cap, but it's only a soft cap. You can continue getting bigger numbers, at a slower (and probably dwindling rate), until at some point you 'catch up' with the most it would have been possible to gain by then, and then you are hard-capped?

Anyway, just found this thread and the game looks interesting. Kind of a weird science-fantasy aesthetic, I like. I've never actually played TERA but how does the combat compare to GW2 or Neverwinter?

The cap rolls over if you fail to hit it weekly; it doesn't disappear forever. At least, that's what the devs are saying on a smaller scale. They used the example of going on vacation for 2 weeks: your progression would just roll up so when you hit week 3 you'd have the full cap available to you as someone who played for 3 weeks straight.

It's not a perfect system by any means but as someone who isn't a teenager anymore I really appreciate it. I can put in 30 hours of gaming a week; I can't shitsock out 90. If I can put in more than 30, I have the option to play other stuff or just move closer to the "hard cap".

This game is trying to hit that sweet spot of not requiring a hardcore commitment and based on the available content and overall progression (because holy gently caress at how much progression there is), they're almost forcing it to be a marathon instead of a sprint.

Bauxite posted:

I hope that means you'll get sparks and credits up until 27 hours instead of after 27 hours.

Yeah. 27 hours of play gets you at the "soft cap" of sparks and then there's eventually a "hard cap" where there's no more sparks, credits, or any real things of value aside from equipment grinding and dumping credits into order stuff. The one huge pitfall of that would be if you could buy over your credits cap with the cash shop currency but that's pretty much shooting yourself in the foot with p2w before you even get off the starting line.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lux Aeterna posted:

The cap rolls over if you fail to hit it weekly; it doesn't disappear forever. At least, that's what the devs are saying on a smaller scale. They used the example of going on vacation for 2 weeks: your progression would just roll up so when you hit week 3 you'd have the full cap available to you as someone who played for 3 weeks straight.

Okay, yeah, that sounds almost perfect. Like I said, I don't mind caps in theory, just don't penalize me for taking a trip or whatever and not playing for a month.

So the closed beta test is only for people who spend money right now, right?

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
I took a look at the site, the game looks promising. I'm curious though, that with an active combat will it have controller support?

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012

Jimbosaurus posted:

I took a look at the site, the game looks promising. I'm curious though, that with an active combat will it have controller support?

Yes they are looking into adding controller support...ETA unknown.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUiN3YBukY#t=5m33s

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012

WarLocke posted:

So the closed beta test is only for people who spend money right now, right?

There are people who have been invited from just signing up for the beta. People who paid just get guaranteed access.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

WarLocke posted:

If you are willing to play an MMO 24/7 just to "catch up" to people who starter earlier, you have a broken brain and need help. If the MMO actually requires you to do this to not be worthless, that it's a poo poo MMO that has no redeeming values and shouldn't be played, no exceptions.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

HBPrince posted:

Yes they are looking into adding controller support...ETA unknown.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUiN3YBukY#t=5m33s

That's awesome. Now I just need to roll the dice to get into the beta to check it out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Unless the rate of class and normal sparks is increased drastically, I'm not seeing any casual or semi-hardcore player ever reaching it. So its something that'll only realistically affect massive spergs. I played plenty during the first test and nowhere near of reaching the caps, any of them. I was sort of scared when I first saw it but once class sparks started dropping and saw that they had a separate limit from the other ones, I knew it was going to be a none factor for me.

That is of course if the rate doesn't increase massively. Chinese B&S had a daily exp limit that you really couldn't feel till you were in the 40s and then you'd hit it like an hour and a half into it once you were at high levels.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

I'd be pretty content with them giving us 2-3 weeks worth of cap at launch if you need to shitsock it out but I'm very pro-cap. No endgame ceiling like a fixed level cap forces there to be an artificial wall in place just to keep the wave of players together at that highest point.

Also holy lol if they let you spent argents for credits and it doesn't apply to the cap.

I'd have to imagine at higher gearing/prestige levels that the gain becomes more problematic since you're also increasing overall sparks but at the same time, I'm really kind of enjoying the idea of not needing to spend all my free time playing a video game to "keep up" with the population for consistent group pops.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lux Aeterna posted:

I'd be pretty content with them giving us 2-3 weeks worth of cap at launch if you need to shitsock it out but I'm very pro-cap.

I'm pro-cap but in the other direction(?)

Like, to use random numbers: If you have a dude that created a character on day 1, and the cap was 1,000 ProgressPoints per week, in 6 months he could have up to 24,000 ProgressPoints, right?

Now, if someone starts playing the game at that point (6 months after release) I don't feel like this new guy should be capped at 1,000 ProgressPoints per week. Since the max total points you could have gotten so far is 24,000 he should be able to grind up to that much (whether linearly or at a slower rate past the 'normal' cap) until he's 'caught up' with the first guy. But once you're at the 'real'/hard cap then sure, no more special treatment for you.

How much poopsocking that is is immaterial, the point is that capping total advancement makes sense but penalizing late entry (or penalizing not playing constantly) is a dick move.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

No penalizing. Russian obt has people making new accounts and getting the full cap since launch available to them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

RottenK posted:

If you are willing to play an MMO 24/7 just to "catch up" to people who starter earlier, you have a broken brain and need help. If the MMO actually requires you to do this to not be worthless, that it's a poo poo MMO that has no redeeming values and shouldn't be played, no exceptions.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Such a nice glossy icon ruined by these strange medieval rune letters

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

So apparently you'll be able to trade 10k Argents for 1.5mil Credits, and it won't count towards your weekly cap. People are losing their poo poo already, claiming P2W because they can just max their temples and enhancements super fast, depending on how many upgrade materials are on the Market at the time.

Also they're banning anyone on the forums claiming "P2W" and locking their beta access.

quote:

However, these days it's no longer possible since too many people are prone to pasting the term P2W onto pretty much every situation. This behavior is extremely harmful, in the sense that it damages the image of a game before it has even had a chance to reach to its community. One must trust the developers' vision.

It also weakens the dialog between the community and the developers of the game they play.

For these reasons, we will strive to provide answers to our members in need of details regarding our monetization - but in turn, we won't tolerate the word P2W as of today, nor tolerate oversimplification of monetization in topics.

Members participating in the forum this early in the game project ought to allow its community to grow with a sense of responsibility and communication practices that don't undermine their relationship with the skyforge team.

We'll still ask you to respect our rules out of respect for the community that will establish here and align with the developers' views. Once OBT opens in our territories, everyone will have a chance to check the monetization aspects of Skyforge for themselves.

Please note that repeated failure to comply shall result in the removal of your forum rights and beta access.

There was a thread with "Confirmed P2W" or something in the title and the mods changed the title to "Oversimplification of monetization".

FoolishLobster fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 26, 2015

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

welp that's pretty much a showstopper.

I'm glad I won a founder's pack but if that poo poo stays in place there's 0 long term health for this game.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I do agree that pubbies sometimes jump the gun and tend to oversimplify stuff in favour of getting over-excited, but we'll see how bad the monetization actually is in game.

If you can straight bypass hours of grinding by paying, then yeah, the games gonna die.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RottenK posted:

I want to empty quote this until the death of the sun, the universe, everything. I'd extrapolate even further when it comes to PVP for me.

IF Time Spent > Player Skill Then Get Out.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

This monetization isn't a huge deal to me. If anything this mostly affects PvP but the whales that max out their temples and enhancement slots will just be matched with other whales who do the same due to their prestige being so high. Unless there's something I'm missing that temples give other than stat bonuses. This could drive up the price of enhancement materials on the market though.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I never planned to play this game, but a lot of people defend 'Pay to Skip' by saying it isn't pay to win. In some sense, they're sort of right, everyone can reach the same goal, but truthfully, you are paying to 'win' some goal faster. But more importantly, if a game lets you pay to skip content, why would it be worth playing? Why would you want to play a game, and then skip its gameplay? If a game has 'pay-to-skip', you should not play it, as it is bad.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

it's one thing to pay argents to speed up orders/temples, but completely different when it creates a whale feedback loop.

I guess the big big issue is that god mode is fueled by favor and favor is fueled by orders/adepts and that can be fueled 100% by argents->credits.

Favor is independent of prestige so there is 100% a scenario where you can buy power and complete content better or have an advantage in PVP. Pretty sure that falls under the umbrella of a literal "P2W".

So yes, it's an oversimplification of monetization since the actual fallout doesn't happen until people start getting god form and then at that point they've either hit their average lifetime value or they can hit whaleform.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

From what I understood, you can't use god mode in PvP. I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere. I'm assuming PvE is balanced based on the fact that people will have God Mode. I'm a little hazy on the God Mode thing, but can everyone eventually have God Mode or just the people with the highest favour in a province or whatever?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I never planned to play this game, but a lot of people defend 'Pay to Skip' by saying it isn't pay to win. In some sense, they're sort of right, everyone can reach the same goal, but truthfully, you are paying to 'win' some goal faster. But more importantly, if a game lets you pay to skip content, why would it be worth playing? Why would you want to play a game, and then skip its gameplay? If a game has 'pay-to-skip', you should not play it, as it is bad.

Paying to reach a goal faster is fine in general, but there are ways where things are taken too far. For example, a 20% XP booster that lasts an hour is not going to cause many problems but an item which instantly allows a player to hit level cap is going to be met with backlash. This is especially true if the result has an impact on PvP.

The "rules" are flexible. There is no hard line drawn which states that speeding things up to reach a goal is unacceptable. It all depends on what one is speeding up, how much it is being sped up, and how the speed up effects the enjoyment of the majority of other players who do not have the same level of access for monetary reasons.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Xavier434 posted:

Paying to reach a goal faster is fine in general, but there are ways where things are taken too far. For example, a 20% XP booster that lasts an hour is not going to cause many problems but an item which instantly allows a player to hit level cap is going to be met with backlash. This is especially true if the result has an impact on PvP.

The "rules" are flexible. There is no hard line drawn which states that speeding things up to reach a goal is unacceptable. It all depends on what one is speeding up, how much it is being sped up, and how the speed up effects the enjoyment of the majority of other players who do not have the same level of access for monetary reasons.

Sure, it's not the end of the world if there's a booster like that, but why is it okay? Why is it okay to have a game where you would ever have increased enjoyment by skipping the actual game? Games like this are all about the character progression. Don't you want to play that? Why is it okay to give developers an incentive to make that not fun?

I mean, it doesn't make the developers literally the devil, and it doesn't mean you can't enjoy a game that has these monetization mechanics... But it's not a good thing. It's the mark of a lower quality game that you could potentially want to pay to skip. A game that is less fun on average than a game that does not have these mechanics.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Sure, it's not the end of the world if there's a booster like that, but why is it okay? Why is it okay to have a game where you would ever have increased enjoyment by skipping the actual game? Games like this are all about the character progression. Don't you want to play that? Why is it okay to give developers an incentive to make that not fun?

I mean, it doesn't make the developers literally the devil, and it doesn't mean you can't enjoy a game that has these monetization mechanics... But it's not a good thing. It's the mark of a lower quality game that you could potentially want to pay to skip. A game that is less fun on average than a game that does not have these mechanics.

Because they usually only impact PvE progression in a small way and only influences the individual player who chooses to use them. They don't effect me in any way that I do not enjoy and they don't give developers an incentive to create boring content. Boosters or no boosters, if your overall game or your individual game feature is boring then people won't play it and that is far worse for revenue than any booster sales can make up for.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 26, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Several games with these boosters are incredibly successful, which is the only metric one can actually use to measure whether it's "good" or "bad" since every other metric is subjective as hell. League of legends, marvel heroes, hell, even wow has a version of this in their buy a level 90 offer. It's okay for you not to like it, but the real world disagrees with you. Sorry.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
After lolling at all the titwindows in the class reveal annoucement, does this game do anything different aside from having potentially overpolished exposed sideboob? Although, that's not really different either I guess. What sets Skyforge apart, if anything?

The witch's techbroom looks pretty cool, but that's not very much.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 26, 2015

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
I think somehow I hit the Spark cap or something, even though I played for less than an hour in CBT2 and my prestige is only 2300.. Several missions (5?) that claimed to award sparks resulted in nothing but credits. I have no idea what happened, but it pretty much defeats the purpose of me playing right now.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

oTHi posted:

I think somehow I hit the Spark cap or something, even though I played for less than an hour in CBT2 and my prestige is only 2300.. Several missions (5?) that claimed to award sparks resulted in nothing but credits. I have no idea what happened, but it pretty much defeats the purpose of me playing right now.

There's an annoying bug where the reward for a mission changes after you enter. Hitting f11 in the middle of a dungeon will tell you if it's happened to you. I usually double check after entering and about halfway through.

If you were actually capped the missions would only show celestial threads/sparks of transgression.

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

quote:

However, these days it's no longer possible since too many people are prone to pasting the term P2W onto pretty much every situation. This behavior is extremely harmful, in the sense that it damages the image of a game before it has even had a chance to reach to its community. One must trust the developers' vision.

It also weakens the dialog between the community and the developers of the game they play.

For these reasons, we will strive to provide answers to our members in need of details regarding our monetization - but in turn, we won't tolerate the word P2W as of today, nor tolerate oversimplification of monetization in topics.

Members participating in the forum this early in the game project ought to allow its community to grow with a sense of responsibility and communication practices that don't undermine their relationship with the skyforge team.

We'll still ask you to respect our rules out of respect for the community that will establish here and align with the developers' views. Once OBT opens in our territories, everyone will have a chance to check the monetization aspects of Skyforge for themselves.

Please note that repeated failure to comply shall result in the removal of your forum rights and beta access.

That just, that just.

Doesn't sound right.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

On the one hand I agree that people keep repeating P2W until it's just annoying.

On the other hand, a developer should not be posting something like that.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
That sounds like the most P2W bs I have ever heard.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

You know what tends to work out the best in situations like this? Clear and full transparency. Explain the monetization system fully and publicly. Get the message out there. At that point, let the community judge for themselves.

That is the best choice because ultimately it is up to the community to decide whether or not the monetization system is favorable regardless of what they decide to call it. I understand that the Skyforge developers do not want a bad reputation as a result of oversimplification and assumptions. Who would?That is why what I am suggesting is the best choice. Making these details public and clear to everyone is the best defense against this sort of harm. Trying to shut people up and control how they describe something including what words they use to describe it just doesn't work no matter how much one feels that it is an appropriate response to the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There are things that Russian game developers are good at, but public relations is generally not one of them. One would think they'd let Obsidian handle this bullshit, since that's kinda why they hired them.

• Locked thread