Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was really disappointed when the JC Penny actual price thing failed. I'm realtively good with math, but the __% off always seems to come out more expensive than I think it should. Maybe they tax on the original price or something. They paired it with a redesign of a lot of their store brands to try to appeal to younger people, slimmer cuts, trendier color schemes and fabrics. I got a pair of white linen pants there around the time of relaunch. I was happy because it was rare to find pants that fit me. But then they started literally coming apart at the seams after about a summer and a half of wear, and it turns out they use prison labor to make a lot of their clothes, so gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Honestly, just internet reports. I have no idea where to look for conclusive evidence. Do you? Because I would genuinely be happy if less places than I thought used prison labor. Chinese sweatshop labor is so much more ethical.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Avocados posted:

:confused: I thought prison labor was stuff inmates would do to pass the time and add some variety and skills (and sometimes funds) to their stay.

e: unless this is that sorta soviet era forced labor thing.

It's hard to find any confirmation of it being forced (probably because if it was, no prison would admit it), but I can find reports of prisoners losing good behavior status, being locked in solitary, or being given less food for refusing to work. And they're getting paid less than a dollar an hour. And they can have part of that taken away as restitution for their crimes. Most of these reports are from sites with obvious biases (labor rights websites, that sort of thing). However, given how common allegations of human rights abuses are in prison, and how the Stanford experiment showed how normal people playing guards started abusing normal people playing prisoners in what they all knew was an experiment, I would be more surprised if the reports weren't true.

That previously linked post makes it even worse. I can't even go to the grocery store without the possibility of unintentionally supporting prison profiteering.

Also, at least when it comes to making clothing, there are very few textile jobs in the US. There are a few boutique denim makers that I know of in California and one of the Carolinas, and I know there are suits made in the US. But most of the US-made suits I've seen are made by union employees, and I would think it's hard to get into a union for an industry with such a small market share. Meat packing might be better, actually, places don't outsource their food packaging to China, Indonesia, and Bangladesh. If prison cafeterias served real food rather than buffet-line slop, that could be experience to help you get a line cook job, but as it is I doubt that would help.

Also, the 13th amendment allows for forced labor as punishment for crimes, so it is completely legal for prisoners to be forced to work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

So... Let me get this right. Johnny Gutshanker slices some pigs up in a scuffle. After a lengthy trial, he goes to prison and is "being abused" because he's sewing up some capris for JCP to sell instead of rotting in his cell 24/7.

Forcing someone to work against their will is a bad thing, and some people don't believe you should do bad things to bad people. Weird, I know.

Also, lol at the assumption that everyone in prison is a murderer.

My friend worked for Cutco for two days. Thankfully this particular one didn't charge him for the demo set as long as he returned it. He realized that there was no way he would ever make enough money to even cover gas. This was in 2009-2010, though. The time when we, as teenagers with no job experience, were competing with people in their 30s and 40s for the same jobs. So I can see how he was tempted at first.

22 Eargesplitten has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Mar 14, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Honestly, I can kind of see her point of view. It's a ring she's going to be wearing for the rest of her life. He shouldn't have decided which one she'd like better. She ended up liking the one he kept the hold on better, but it should have been her decision, or they should have at least discussed it first.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

(Seriously, diamonds are boring. Opal, black pearls, a bismuth crystal... at least they're pretty to look at. I still don't understand the allure.)

Am I being obliviously goony for wanting bismuth rings for my wedding now? I never knew about them before, but goddamn are those a million times cooler than a normal gemstone. And I'm seeing them on Etsy for <$100. You could probably get ones custom-made for less than a plain gold band at a brick and mortar store.

Parasol Prophet posted:

As a newly engaged person, I'm not looking forward to dealing with the whole engagement/wedding industry. Where you can find a white/pale colored formal dress for $100 in a regular store, but if you go to a bridal store you're looking at $1000+ for what might as well be a white prom dress you're only going to wear for one day. (Seriously, the satin, tulle, rhinestones... they all look like tacky prom dresses.) Just calling it a wedding dress means you can tack on an extra 0 and get away with it. And it goes further than that-- you can mark up pretty much anything by making it white and silver and saying it's for your ~special day~.

gently caress wedding dresses so hard. I basically have to ignore all the price talk when my fiancee watches say yes to the dress. People getting asked what their price range is, and them saying they're willing to pay as much as a nice 5-year-old car costs. Thankfully, my mother-in-law has a degree in clothing design/sewing/whatever it's called, and I'm pretty sure she's been waiting for this chance since she first had a baby girl. My tux is probably going to be more expensive than her dress, but at least I get to wear it more than once.

Tunicate posted:

Fortunately, I found out that you could avoid all of those events if you 'forgot' to turn in homework assignments.

The best thing about being tossed into 'in school suspension' is that they let you sit and read.

Yeah, being able to read after finishing my work was what made the in-school suspension days not significantly worse than any other day. Get the work done in less than an hour, spend the next three hours reading.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

We also did the Scholastic books thing and those loving owned :hellyeah: That was my hook-up for Animorphs.

I was trying to remember if Animorphs was scholastic. I know I always got a ton of books every time the book fair went through. I think half of the reason my mother always volunteered to work the fair was so she could scope out any books she thought I would like or just wanted me to read. Eventually she stopped buying me Animorphs, though, because I would read them in maybe two hours. She made me get them from the library after that.

gently caress that ending, man. Although I guess Applegate beat Rowling to turning a lighthearted kids series into a series about child soldiers and PTSD.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, if I remember my training for credit card customer service (worst job I ever had), it's illegal to push credit cards on campus now. I certainly never saw it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Basically, what you need to know is we have people that call themselves "minarchists" here. They say that controlling people is wrong, so they want to get rid of all of the government except the military and the police. And they see no inconsistency in that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vector Marketing is cutco.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Isn't it a psychological thing where if you've dumped a lot of money into something, you'll force yourself to see a difference? They could definitely charge more.

Bip Roberts posted:

Ironically it's the perfect medicine for Fibromyaligia.

Actually, going off of the wikipedia page, I'm pretty sure the perfect medicine for Fibromyalgia is :420:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, now I'm glad I decided to get the cheaper bottle of Rittenhouse rather than the Templeton, if Templeton is the same as brands of rye than sell for $10 less.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Odds are he isn't getting paid enough to see a therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Speaking of MLM, has anyone heard of Team National?

My parents got involved with it, but thankfully they got out. They were at some meeting/seminar poo poo, someone asked the head scamster if they were going to make the information packets in Spanish, and he did some sort of :bahgawd: "In America we speak English" thing. That was enough to get them to leave, but I'm honestly not sure if my dad hasn't fallen for something else.

He's a hard worker, works a ton of hours, but he's in construction, so there's no way he has enough in his retirement account to retire at 65. And once you get up in years, you can't really do much in construction.

• Locked thread