Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I'll do the Houston JJ Watts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think this just leaves the Jets and the Bears.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If there are other Seahawks fans that want to chime in and offer pick assistance, please do. I need a Pete Carroll to my John Schneider.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gatts posted:

I'd give you the 19th and a 5th for your 11th pick

:lol::lol::lol:

You'd get laughed out of the call if you offered that in the nfl.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

Haha that's why I'm posting armchair.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

But if you offered a first and a second for two firsts or whatever it was you'd get a movie! :haw:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bills?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'll take the jets

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

zimbomonkey posted:

I'll take the jets

has joe namath said for sure he won't be at the veteran combine

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

johnfw50
some old hussy
KettleWL

First two of you to claim the Bears or Cardinals win. Once you do that, we can start the draft. Since Bears aren't until [ick 7, I might throw up the OP tonight, and the clock will start once wandler20 makes his first pick.

swickles fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 9, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

swickles posted:

johnfw50
some old hussy
KettleWL

You guys pick between Arizona, Jets, and Bears, and Bills. I will take the leftover and we can get this draft started.

zimbomonkey posted:

I'll take the jets

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

swickles posted:

johnfw50
some old hussy
KettleWL

First two of you to claim the Bears or Cardinals win. Once you do that, we can start the draft. Since Bears aren't until [ick 7, I might throw up the OP tonight, and the clock will start once wandler20 makes his first pick.

I'll tentatively take the Bears, open for anyone else to take it between now and the start of the draft.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

swickles posted:

Whoa, should we at least wait a week for the major FAs to be sorted? Although I guess that won't impact the first round much.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If there was a queue I can fall back obv

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Huh, JAX might be harder than I thought. Lot of young guys on the roster without a clear sense of how good they can be.

Like, the O-line LOOKED like a train wreck last year, but the front office apparently really likes the talent they have coming through (outside of right tackle probably). Luke Joeckel and Brandon Linder are the real deal, and Zane Beadles just signed a big contract. The CBs (Colvin/McCray) look promising, and the safeties could be alright too (though who knows).

Outside of drafting DL at the top of the first and taking all the linebackers (I like Telvin Smith though), there's a lot of tough choices to make. Do they take a WR, or keep rolling with Hurns/Robinson/Lee? If Gurley/Gordon is there at the top of the second, do they take him (presumably over signing a FA in a year or two)? Do they take LB before RT, at the risk of having JAG instead of a potentially above-average line?

Halp.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

warcrimes posted:

Whoa, should we at least wait a week for the major FAs to be sorted? Although I guess that won't impact the first round much.

I remember last year I might've gone a different route in the 1st round after seeing what my team did in the first days of free agency, but since my team this year is picking so late anyways I guess I'm good either way! :shrug:

Forever_Peace posted:

Huh, JAX might be harder than I thought. Lot of young guys on the roster without a clear sense of how good they can be.

Like, the O-line LOOKED like a train wreck last year, but the front office apparently really likes the talent they have coming through (outside of right tackle probably). Luke Joeckel and Brandon Linder are the real deal, and Zane Beadles just signed a big contract. The CBs (Colvin/McCray) look promising, and the safeties could be alright too (though who knows).

Outside of drafting DL at the top of the first and taking all the linebackers (I like Telvin Smith though), there's a lot of tough choices to make. Do they take a WR, or keep rolling with Hurns/Robinson/Lee? If Gurley/Gordon is there at the top of the second, do they take him (presumably over signing a FA in a year or two)? Do they take LB before RT, at the risk of having JAG instead of a potentially above-average line?

Halp.

Hmm Telvin Smith where do I know that name from

Rasczak 2014 Mock Draft posted:

That was the last pick the Bears have, so might as well review. Bears defense last year was Real Bad, maybe even approaching 2013 Cowboys bad (ok maybe not quite that terrible). As a result I guess I somewhat focused on defense in this draft:

1.14 Timmy Jernigan, DT Florida State
2.51 Kareem Martin, DE North Carolina
3.75 Jaylen Watkins, CB/FS Florida
4.?? Telvin Smith, OLB Florida State
6.?? Dezmen Southward, SS Wisconsin
6.?? Preston Brown, ILB Louisville

I might not've traded the 5th if I knew the draft would actually make it this far, and I wanted Carl Bradford over Smith because I would've preferred a Sam over of a Will, otherwise I'm good with how things shook out.

:smug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree with waiting a week. Maybe in the interim we can discuss our thoughts on what our teams need..

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree with waiting a week. Maybe in the interim we can discuss our thoughts on what our teams need..

I'm in agreement with this too. With Maclin leaving Philly my draft ideas are going to radically shift based on whether or not Philly gets a WR in FA. Doing it this week is way too soon.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm ready to go whenever because FA won't matter for my pick but for the rest I can see waiting until at least later this week or next.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Plot twist: FA RT (lol) Parnell looks set to sign with Jags. Huge gamble, but he was PFF's right tackle #7 last season, so who knows, maybe he'll pay off. Orange Julius can't block for poo poo but he's tall and fast so maybe Bort can just hit him over the middle a dozen times per game. Both high risk high reward signings.

This sounds crazy, but the Jags might not have a big positional need other than one DL, two linebackers, and a FS.

How is this team losing so much? I don't understand!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Forever_Peace posted:

How is this team losing so much? I don't understand!

Teams that are mostly rookies with a few vets are always going to lose to veteran rosters with a few rookies

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
tennessee titans draft needs
1. a new owner
2. a new general manager
3. pretty much everyone on the roster
4. a bullet in the back of the head

or just draft a defense, pretty much anyone on defense will be an upgrade.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I guess I'll take the Cards then.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Here are the Seahawks' weaknesses in no particular order:

- Wide Receiver - it's pretty bleak right now. Doug Baldwin is our #1 when he's a #3 at best. Contrary to the above statement this is our #1 need, in my opinion.
- Offensive Guard - doubly so if James Carpenter walks in FA.
- Cornerback - after Sherman, there's a pretty big dropoff in talent starting the season with Maxwell off to Philly, Jeremy Lane rehabbing and Tharold Simon being bad.
- Defensive line - we're likely losing three - Obrien Schofield, Kevin Williams and Tony McDaniel either to FA or retirement, and Brandon Mebane's health is a question mark (he could also be cut). Our DL went from one of the best in 2013 to merely average in 2014.
- Tight End - we cut Zach Miller, Luke Willson has terrible hands (fast as hell for a TE when he catches the ball though), and Anthony McCoy has missed 2 seasons with Achilles tears in both legs.
- Backup QB - If coin-flip master Tavaris Jackson leaves for Minnesota or somewhere else, BJ Daniels becomes the only backup QB. Not a priority but something to think about.

Besides WR, I think we have enough depth in the other spots that could be addressed in FA or from practice squad, so if we missed out on a spot in the draft, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mukaikubo posted:

1. a new owner
2. a new general manager

I don't know Bud Adams I think is willing to spend and win, he is just not smart about it and takes everything personally. Really you just need to draft the best player available or trade down and fleece some other teams first second and third round picks.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mukaikubo posted:

1. a new owner
2. a new general manager

i see your points and agree

Elephanthead posted:

I don't know Bud Adams I think is willing to spend and win, he is just not smart about it and takes everything personally. Really you just need to draft the best player available or trade down and fleece some other teams first second and third round picks.

Bud Adams is dead

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

6th overall is up for trade.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I honestly cant tell if thats a dumb joke or you really are offering the trade

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

swickles posted:

Trades allowed?: To make this easy and to make it so that things don't go batshit haywire, no trades. We will be going by the stated draft order. If for some reason a trade happens before we start our draft, then those picks will be adjusted. Once our draft starts though, the order will be locked.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

NO TRADES, NO JUSTICE

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I just took that to mean that we couldn't make trades after the draft started

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No. If the team you are representing makes a trade in real life before we start drafting, then the order will change. So if the Broncos jettison Manning for a 1st and 2nd, then that would be reflected. No one on this board is allowed to make trades. Last time they did trades literally every pick was shifted around and I am sure as poo poo not tracking all that. Also, most trades involve future picks as well, so its kind of silly when there is literally no consequence to trading the next 4 years of 1st round picks to move up 10 spots.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Also people waste time with "I know my pick but going to sit on it for 8 hours to try and pull a trade!" and the whole thing gets obnoxious

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

swickles posted:

No. If the team you are representing makes a trade in real life before we start drafting, then the order will change. So if the Broncos jettison Manning for a 1st and 2nd, then that would be reflected. No one on this board is allowed to make trades. Last time they did trades literally every pick was shifted around and I am sure as poo poo not tracking all that. Also, most trades involve future picks as well, so its kind of silly when there is literally no consequence to trading the next 4 years of 1st round picks to move up 10 spots.

Isn't there a pretty well acknowledged draft pick value chart that the NFL uses? What if we required that all trades had to be equitable based on that chart?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Isn't there a pretty well acknowledged draft pick value chart that the NFL uses? What if we required that all trades had to be equitable based on that chart?

Why do we care about trades? It makes this overly complicated and we wait forever and people lose interest before the second round.

It's not like we are going to be close to accurate anyway.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why do we care about trades? It makes this overly complicated and we wait forever and people lose interest before the second round.

Some people want to trade Eli to the Bills for Fred Jackson and a 4th and then take JFF 3rd overall.

The coolest part last year was whoever took all our picks and the real draft and compared them through the 6 rounds we got.

Edit: Gerund http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611656&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#post429484383

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 10, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

No Butt Stuff posted:

Works for me. I'm cool with whatever at this stage (with the exception of starting before FA).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm fine with the no-trade rule. Just stick with what you know and then we aren't spending all this time negotiating deals.

Also, now that Seattle just signed 2 CBs in FA, that's not really a position of need anymore! O-line becomes a higher priority with James Carpenter leaving for NYJ.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah, I'm not arguing this or anything. No trades is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
No trades is fine with me, too.

Plus it reminded me that someone last year traded Eli Manning + a first rounder to the Jags so they could draft JFF. Whoever that poster was was very smug about it.

• Locked thread