Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Azerban posted:

a standup comedian has never had a funny tv show

*splutters orange juice all over Seinfeld box set*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macht
Jun 18, 2007
roll with brian lamb
everyone shares a dream of a peaceful alien moonset

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it really isn't funny

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

opus111 posted:

*splutters orange juice all over Seinfeld box set*

it's a cookie cutter sitcom don't even bother cleaning taht up just throw it out

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I'm afraid it is you who are the homosexual, OP.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You know what isn't funny? Curb your Enthusiasm. But it's got a rich rear end in a top hat jew so ya'll prolly love that poo poo.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
well hell now that it's on netfliz I don't have an excude not to watch it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
curb your enthusiasm is another show that subtly sets up a lot of little things that all come together by the end of the episode and it's funny as gently caress

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't "get" Arrested Development. At all. I've never understood why it's so beloved.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The Dennis System posted:

I don't "get" Arrested Development. At all. I've never understood why it's so beloved.
Well, since humor is subjective, and this show is pretty much universally agreed to be a great work of comedic art, this must mean you have a very unique point of view that makes you an interesting person. Tell me more about yourself.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Moridin920 posted:

curb your enthusiasm is another show that subtly sets up a lot of little things that all come together by the end of the episode and it's funny as gently caress

Yeah, but Aside from Larry David, the main actors on the show are incredibly insecure. Like holy gently caress, Susie, take a pill!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

DiHK posted:

You know what isn't funny? Curb your Enthusiasm. But it's got a rich rear end in a top hat jew so ya'll prolly love that poo poo.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
come on

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

cams posted:

Well, since humor is subjective, and this show is pretty much universally agreed to be a great work of comedic art, this must mean you have a very unique point of view that makes you an interesting person. Tell me more about yourself.

I don't "get" this post. Are you being sarcastic, or...

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I don't "get" this post. Are you being sarcastic, or...
Of course not. I find the fact that you did not enjoy a universally acclaimed comedy fascinating and want to know more about the unique person you must be.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

cams posted:

Of course not. I find the fact that you did not enjoy a universally acclaimed comedy fascinating and want to know more about the unique person you must be.

Yes. It's not possible that I really didn't like this show. I must just be pretending to not like it so that I seem to have a unique point of view. (And it wasn't "universally acclaimed", except by critics. It got low ratings. People didn't watch it.)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Op im with you. Also id like to strangle the narrator every time someone is binge watching this lovely show around me because it's impossible to tune out

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yes. It's not possible that I really didn't like this show. I must just be pretending to not like it so that I seem to have a unique point of view. (And it wasn't "universally acclaimed", except by critics. It got low ratings. People didn't watch it.)
You are very intelligent.

Moosechees
Jun 1, 2002

rawr

Moridin920 posted:

The only way Curb Your Enthusiasm could be less subtle about setup and foreshadowing is if they literally put text on the screen and a voiceover explaining that something will later happen in regards to crazy thing that just happened to/because of Larry.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
actually I kind of agree. I loved the show when it first aired but I went back and tried to re-watch it again last year and it just... I dunno, it just wasn't as funny as I remember it being.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

curb your enthusiasm is funny arrested development is not. mods please close this thread

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Panniculus Rift posted:

curb your enthusiasm is funny arrested development is not. mods please close this thread

Arrested development has like one kinda funny albeit easy joke for every 10 terribly unfunny contrite jokes. That's not including the netflix season which was (unsurprisingly) even more garbage than the original run.

Otoh curb has like 8 hilarious seasons and a lot of it is improvised.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I hate curb because larry david just isn't funny when he doesn't have jerry seinfeld to act out his ~hilarious zany social faux pas~

because when larry david does it he just comes across as an rear end in a top hat

Arrested development is great though, at least the original run.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
arrested development is like most things in that it is funny

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

It is extremely funny.

Have a great day!

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I hate curb because larry david just isn't funny when he doesn't have jerry seinfeld to act out his ~hilarious zany social faux pas~

because when larry david does it he just comes across as an rear end in a top hat

Arrested development is great though, at least the original run.

The characters in Seinfeld were all assholes. They were all kind of bad people. I don't get how people miss this about the show Seinfeld.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

burritolingus posted:

The characters in Seinfeld were all assholes. They were all kind of bad people. I don't get how people miss this about the show Seinfeld.

Because the majority of shows, especially back then, didn't have a cast that was comprised of nothing but antiheroes.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
why did everyone hate skyler when her husband was clearly a giant rear end in a top hat selling addictive drugs? jesus christ reddit

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Libelous Slander posted:

why did everyone hate skyler when her husband was clearly a giant rear end in a top hat selling addictive drugs? jesus christ reddit

cause theyre children and/or manchildren who have been spited by every woman theyve ever encountered. creator of the show had to go out of his way to beat audience over the head time and time again that walt is evil and bad in the final seasons and people still didnt fuckin get it.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

thathonkey posted:

cause theyre children and/or manchildren who have been spited by every woman theyve ever encountered. creator of the show had to go out of his way to beat audience over the head time and time again that walt is evil and bad in the final seasons and people still didnt fuckin get it.

but walt, despite his cancer and science teacher nerdyness (CLEARLY an ATHEIST) was a sex-haver (two children is proof) and self employed entrepreneur so he was amazing while skyler was a WEALTH SUCKING BITCH who just wanted a husband who wasn't a "criminal" (geez lady way to be picky, why don't you buy another bottle of wine with walt's MONEY)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Arrested Development was funny and is good hth

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

burritolingus posted:

that's the point. they are all assholes and it's funny

in curb larry is an rear end in a top hat and it's usually just dumb. not funny

there are exceptions of course but curb just makes me cringe. maybe because i know too many people like him in real life, just like how the white trash folks i know can't stand trailer park boys because it reminds them of growing up

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

everyone on always sunny in philadelphia is an rear end in a top hat and it's called seinfeld on crack so i think people realized it

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

Arrested development has like one kinda funny albeit easy joke for every 10 terribly unfunny contrite jokes. That's not including the netflix season which was (unsurprisingly) even more garbage than the original run.

Otoh curb has like 8 hilarious seasons and a lot of it is improvised.

contrite does not mean the same thing as trite, chester

lol word noob

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i enjoyed the tv show arrested development

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

today it seems a little dated, what with Kroll Show and all, but at the time - the early 2000s - it was pretty revolutionary

I love Nick Kroll as Ruxin and hate him on his own show. Kroll Show is terrible AD is good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

eternalname posted:

"theres always money in the banana stand" hahaha

"loose seal" ha. haha....

"i've made a huge mistake" WOW ha

all of these stupid one liners people quote arent funny at all in fact i find them quite homosexual thank yo u

here's a hot take

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Arrested 1-3 is fine, 4 is poo poo. Why are people still talking about this show like its some controversial subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
OP is a pig parker

• Locked thread