Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015

fattredd posted:

Looks like the chapter 2 link is private. The formatting of chapter 1 certainly lends to the scatter-brained pain this guy is going through though. The lack of punctuation on the single line thoughts also help give a sense of urgency. Cool so far!

I'd love to give chapter 2 a look!

Awhoops! I'm kinda clumsy with computer matters. Let me know if this one doesn't work;
Chapter 2
I'm very tickled that you enjoyed my writing! Chapter 2 settles more into the format of a typical novel, albeit some quirky formatting ideas. Kill Dozed mentioned the publishing company Visual Editions, and I'm planning on contacting them to hopefully collaborate on editing and publishing, I think this book would be a perfect project for them.

I think the only formatting concepts that are appropriate to this thread are the first and very last chapter of the book. I meant it for the first and last chapters to be unique in ways that are similar but- well, have a look. I'll post it if you're curious, there are some serious spoilers but hopefully you'll forget it in the time it takes to get published!
WARNING
SPOILERS
Chapter The Last

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

LibbyM posted:

Are there any websites that documented all that stuff so you could see it without having to use the app?

I don't think so, unfortunately. I googled around a bit to see if I could find something, but I didn't have any luck.

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015
It's not in English, but I think it still deserves some props;
Xuanji Tu, the Palindrome Poem

In the Jin dynasty, a woman names Su Hui was married to a man named Dou Tao, in the Gansu province. Dou Tao was exiled to a desert, away from his wife, but swore he would never marry another woman. As soon as he arrived in the desert, he married another woman. Su Hui composed a poem consisting of a 29x29 grid of characters and sent it to Dou Tao. Dou Tao immediately left his desert wife and returned to Su Hui, supposedly because of a hidden meaning that only he could discern. The poem can be coherently read left-right top-bottom, tb-lr, rl-bt, bt-rl, diagonal, or divided into specific grids. Ming dynasty scholars purportedly discovered over 7,000 different messages to interpret from the same poem.

Think about that, this is some Lovecraftian-level obsessiveness to the point of madness. It's a good think Su Hui was preoccupied with being a jealous wife, I have no doubt she could have just as easily orchestrated some profane mesh of text to rip a hole in reality so Zalgo can take His throne.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

quote:

It's not in English, but I think it still deserves some props;
Xuanji Tu, the Palindrome Poem

This is so loving cool

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

elentar posted:

Marc Saporta's Composition No. 1 consists of 150 opening paragraphs, each printed on a separate page, all of them packed unbound in a box to be assembled by the reader. It's also available now as an iPad app, of course.

There is also BS Johnson's The Unfortunates, where the sections in a box are of different lengths. Don't know if it is on Kindle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unfortunates

Johnson was a fan of extra-textual activities. In his first novel (Travelling People) he has blank/grey/black pages. Another (Albert Angelo) has a section of a page cut out, meaning you can read through to the next page. Another (House Mother Normal) has different characters thinking in parallel columns.

There is also William S. Burroughs, very well known for his textual experiments in the 1960s, mainly in the small British presses of the time.

Synovexh001
Apr 25, 2015
It's a bit of a stretch, but is there room here for the Koran?

People who were born and raised under threat of punishment for disagreeing with its contents insist it is the most perfect and flawless document ever created. They even have many objective proofs of the fact that it was divinely inspired.
But reader beware! This book is rumored to be the modern publishing title of the dread codex al-Azif, wrought by Abdul Al-Hazred. It's twisted, labyrinthine calligraphy is designed with the purpose of warping the minds of men into trading their wills and their soul to the faceless being which inspired the author. Power, delight and a paradise of sex and abundance is promised to those that die fighting in the name of the eldritch text, and a dark and terrible doom is the promised fate of all who would mock the unseen master, as well as apostates seeking freedom from the powerful soul-vows demanded of acolytes.
:boom:

marblize
Sep 6, 2015
Dfw's "Host" from Consider the Lobster has a pretty interesting albeit straightforward layout.

it's essentially just footnotes but it's mildly fun to navigate them.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

theradiostillsucks posted:

The band The Durutti Column's first album had an LP sleeve with the same design, apparently. I'm guessing one inspired the other.

Pretty sure this idea was lifted from Sonic Youth's 2nd idea for the Daydream Nation LP. I think the quote from Thurston Moore is "Since we couldn't afford to call it 'Bookbag' and have it come in a bookbag, we wanted to do a sandpaper type sleeve that would gently caress up all of your other records."

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

EdsTeioh posted:

Pretty sure this idea was lifted from Sonic Youth's 2nd idea for the Daydream Nation LP. I think the quote from Thurston Moore is "Since we couldn't afford to call it 'Bookbag' and have it come in a bookbag, we wanted to do a sandpaper type sleeve that would gently caress up all of your other records."

Punk band Feederz had a sandpaper sleeve on their debut album in 1983, half a decade before Sonic Youth and three years after Durutti Column.

Good call on that DFW story--I swear he's had other nonfiction pieces that were similarly labyrinthine, but damned if I can remember which ones.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Synovexh001 posted:

Islamic art.

I really like a lot the Islamic art, containing nothing but geometric figures and quotes from the Quran, do to increasing censur of pictures of people and animals. I mean the censure was a terrible idea, but seeing the artists working around these bans, produced some really beautiful art.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I'm pretty sure House of Leaves was inspired by the great novel [i]Geronimo Stilton[i/] by famed Italian author Edizioni Piemme

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

elentar posted:

Tom Phillips's A Humument is an art book made by the artist cutting away and altering an 1892 Victorian book called "A Human Monument" over the course of almost 50 years. It's staggering.

Phillips's A Humument is absolutely incredible, one of my favorite books. What's also cool is that there are like 6 or 7 different "versions" floating around because he's constantly going back, revising, and rereleasing it.

He also did a similar treatment of Dante's Inferno, in his own translation, which isn't an entirely new text like Humument but has the cantos opposed to art he made for the book, and sometimes incorporating erasure poetry.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mover posted:

Phillips's A Humument is absolutely incredible, one of my favorite books. What's also cool is that there are like 6 or 7 different "versions" floating around because he's constantly going back, revising, and rereleasing it.

He also did a similar treatment of Dante's Inferno, in his own translation, which isn't an entirely new text like Humument but has the cantos opposed to art he made for the book, and sometimes incorporating erasure poetry.

Alright, A Humument looks amazing. Fifth edition is cheap on Amazon, I think maybe I'l-- wait, no, purchased reflexively by my reptilian midbrain, which just can't resist this type of thing.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
John Barth's Frame-Tale, the first piece in his Lost in the Funhouse collection.

It is one page, instructing the read to cut out a piece of the paper and tape its two lines together to form a mobius strip.

This blog post sums it up: https://spherecow.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/the-longest-shortest-story-ever-told/

It's sorta gimmicky, but it's fun to think about oneself or others taking scissors to a work of fiction.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Filth by Irvine Welsh, the first person narrator has a tape worm which slowly becomes more and more self aware starting just saying stuff about being hungry then commenting on what the narrator is going through, this is all shown by text written in drawings of an intestine just placed over the main text at points so you lose what's going on in the plot but get the worms view.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Raw Shark Texts is a genuinely good book that doesn't really disappear up its own backside like House of Leaves does.

I think it was originally recommended to me by someone on this forum so thanks to that goon whoever they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm going to disappear up my own backside right now

• Locked thread