Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys. I don't post here too often, but I found myself very much wanting to discuss the merits of Dylan (particularly the albums he released in the early '60s). I know people get a great deal of images and ideas of Dylan because he's been covered so much, and has had so much wide and varied output over the 50+ years that he's been writing and performing music. I certainly don't like everything he's done, and even the stuff I really like, I tend to go through phases. I won't listen to it for a few years, then for a while *all* I can listen to is Bob Dylan.

I'm very much one of the people who believes that Dylan never again reached the same heights after all the drama with the half-electric tour with The Hawks (later The Band) and the release of Blonde on Blonde and the motorcycle accident. Ever since then, while I think he's had some very good records here and there (Blood on the Tracks and Time out of Mind being the most notable of his post-1966 work in my opinion), he hasn't really been able to even approach what he was doing in those 4+ years from 62-66. The records, the live work, the unreleased work, all the stuff I really like and find interesting and worthwhile all comes from that era.

As a reminder, here are the six truly exceptional albums from that time period. The first three album's are all acoustic/folk but increasingly esoteric, and the last two are almost entirely electric. I'll put the exact dates because it's frankly unbelievably stunning that he did all of this starting at age 22, in such rapid succession, writing so many immortal songs. Freewheelin' alone has A-Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall, Don't Think Twice, Masters of War, Girl From the North Country, and Blowin' in the Wind. I repeat, the kid was 22 when he released that :stare: I can never get over that.

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (May 27 1963)
The Times They Are a-Changin' (January 13 1964)
Another Side of Bob Dylan {August 8 1964)
Bringing It All Back Home (March 22 1965)
Highway 61 Revisited (August 30 1965)
Blonde on Blonde (May 16 1966)

It's so crazy that he went from Another Side (full acoustic) to releasing Highway 61 with Like a Rolling Stone as the lead single in a single year, releasing Bringing It All Back Home (an unbelievably amazing classic album chock full of legendary songs) in the time in between. That is just insane output, and he was writing dozens of other songs on top of all of these, some of which were fantastic! Perhaps my favorite acoustic Dylan song (Tomorrow is a Long Time) doesn't appear on any of these albums.

I can't stress enough that each of these albums is something of a unique masterpiece; probably Times They Are a-Changin' could be the weakest, but again it's still chock full of amazing songs. Another Side of Bob Dylan is extremely underrated in my opinion; it has some of the most complex. thoughtful, utterly captivating solo acoustic work he ever did, and it just floors me whenever I hear it. Chimes of Freedom, To Ramona, My Back Pages... It's pretty great stuff. The latter 3 albums are really the best though, just far and away, or at least that's how I feel at the moment... I admit what Dylan I like "the most" at a given time is prone to change. Still, they're the ones I listen to the most when I go through a "Dylan phase", those albums plus the Bootleg series volume 4, which has the "Royal Albert Hall" bootleg which was actually recorded in Manchester; it's the legendary show where Dylan get's called "Judas" by someone in the crowd (presumably in distaste for performing with a backing band) and gets pretty pissed off.

All that said the first three albums can be tough on an aesthetic level if you're not used to the sort of voice he affects, or the stark production - just acoustic guitar and harmonica, and while I like Dylan's harmonica style I know that's not quite a universal opinion. But again, the last three albums.. They have much more of a pop sensibility, of course, and also begin to dabble heavily in some very bluesy stuff. But you can always tell which songs have that particular... unique Dylan "feel" to them. That thin, wild mercury sound.

Anyway, please feel free to share thoughts/opinions whatever... I would like to try to keep the discussion focused on Bob Dylan pre-Motorcycle Accident, for now, because otherwise there's just entirely too much to talk about, and I'm honestly curious if lots of other people feel as strongly as I do about this era of Dylan being so fantastic. If I had to choose a favorite song of his I think it would be "Desolation Row", but specifically the live recording on the Bootleg Series Volume 4 - I think it kicks the absolute crap out of the album version.

And I'll leave you with this legendary video from the Newport Folk Festival (1965 I think) where Dylan "went electric" and did the best version Maggie's Farm I've ever heard with Mike Bloomfield loving tearing it up on the guitar:

https://vimeo.com/91430129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I mean, yeah, you're talking about some of the most highly regarded albums of the 20th century, but Times and Another Side don't really belong in the conversation. I think the first album is stronger than Times and his early 70's albums are easily better and more important than Another Side.

Sean Wilentz' excellent Bob Dylan in America from a couple years ago does a nice job of documenting the Blonde On Blonde recording process, among other things. Great read.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can we talk about how Blood on the Tracks is basically a perfect album?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dylan has a dozen records that are basically perfect. The dude's like a professional at this stuff man.

Edit: and BOTT's not perfect. Up To Me should have been the closer, not Buckets.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 6, 2015

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I mean, yeah, you're talking about some of the most highly regarded albums of the 20th century, but Times and Another Side don't really belong in the conversation. I think the first album is stronger than Times and his early 70's albums are easily better and more important than Another Side.

Sean Wilentz' excellent Bob Dylan in America from a couple years ago does a nice job of documenting the Blonde On Blonde recording process, among other things. Great read.

That book definitely sounds interesting. I've heard quite a bit about the Blonde on Blonde recording sessions (and I have to say that part of me will forever be sad as hell that a finished version of "She's Your Lover Now" never made it on the album) but most of it is the typical apocryphal stories like Bob having the musicians all play the wrong instruments for Rainy Day Women, and whatnot. Which is actually the one song on Blonde on Blonde I've never liked too much.

I'd agree that Times is borderline when it comes to really belonging in the conversation, but I'll stand by my opinion that Another Side is something of an underappreciated masterpiece. I think it's really, truly, a great album, and that the great songs on it can really hold their own when you get into them. Chimes of Freedom is an absolutely stunning song both structurally and lyrically "As we listened one last time an’ we watched with one last look//Spellbound an’ swallowed ’til the tolling ended//For the countless confused, accused, misused, strung-out ones an’ worse//An' for every hung-up person in the whole-wide universe.." It's just an utterly stirring, amazing song.

There just isn't a bad song on the album - the words are just tumbling out of him at this point, and I had always viewed the album as something of an afterthought, given the three albums that followed it were absolute monsters. But now, when I listen to Another Side, it's just a very different experience. I'd certainly put it above anything he released in the '70s or the '80s barring Blood on the Tracks; it just has so many fascinating multi-layered songs.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Totally. You can even talk about how you think Infidels is a perfect album, if that's how you roll... I just wanted to give the OP a little bit of focus and talk about something at least a little specific instead of "BOB DYLAN".

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 6, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Another side is great, but it doesn't do the same thing that Bringing it all back home does.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Dylan wasn't exactly unique when it came to volume, that was just A Thing in the 60s. Look at the loving Beatles - they put out six albums in under three years. Plenty more bands/singer-songwriters did the same in that era. Granted, albums were a lot shorter, and so were most songs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know a lot of folks don't love his gospel period too much, but "Gotta Serve Somebody" is one hell of a song, regardless of what John Lennon thinks.

Edit: I agree about Blood on the Tracks. Goddamn.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 6, 2015

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bob Dylan would be a legend even if that was his only album.

Fenrir posted:

Dylan wasn't exactly unique when it came to volume, that was just A Thing in the 60s. Look at the loving Beatles - they put out six albums in under three years. Plenty more bands/singer-songwriters did the same in that era. Granted, albums were a lot shorter, and so were most songs.

Yeah but Dylan put out GOOD records in that period. The Beatles albums of that era are dreadful.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Slow Train Comin' is also a good later album.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

Bob Dylan would be a legend even if that was his only album.
It's just insanely good from start to finish. Tangled Up In Blue is maybe the best opening track from any album.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

HollisBrown posted:

Yeah but Dylan put out GOOD records in that period. The Beatles albums of that era are dreadful.

What. No they're not. There's a lot of filler, yes, but Dylan had his share too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fenrir posted:

What. No they're not. There's a lot of filler, yes, but Dylan had his share too.

I mean not really on any of the records through Highway 61. Blonde on Blonde has a couple of inessential tracks, but it's also a double LP. What would you cut from Freewheelin' or Bringing it All Back Home? Even on Times and Another Side, two records I'll freely admit are a click down from the other bona fide masterpieces, the only song Id call filler is North Country Blues, which kinda drags. Edit: maybe black crow blues too. I like the song, especially in the context of the record, but it's probably inessential.

I like early Beatles, but Dylan's B-sides and unreleased songs from that period were more interesting than any of the Beatles non-filler until at least Help!,where the best stuff was just apeing dylan anyways.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 7, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's just insanely good from start to finish. Tangled Up In Blue is maybe the best opening track from any album.

Like A Rolling Stone?

And even from the era Id put Hurricane and Changing Of The Guard up with Tangled, not taking away anything from tangled.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

BigFactory posted:

Disagree on your Another Side assessment, if only because it is one of my top-3 Dylan albums. It's his shift away from the socially conscious folk music that was contained in his first two albums (I am ignoring his s/t for a moment), all captured perfectly in the song "It Ain't Me Babe", which, even if you disagree with my interpretation (that the song is his rejection, or him saying that he can't be what they want) it is still a stinging indictment to a lover.

ANNNNNNYWAYS, the album features some of my all-time favourite Dylan songs, like "To Ramona", "My Back Pages", "I Don't Believe You", and "All I Really Want to Do". It also features Dylan being silly, which may not be some people's cup of tea, but I am down with. Really, I just love the feel of the whole album.

Also, "Blood on the Tracks" is peak-Dylan for me, but I also really love the follow-up, "Desire". I am also a huge fan of "Nashville Skyline". In Dylan's "lost period" (a term I just made up, somewhere from 77 until 97), I think "Oh Mercy" gets overlooked. Not an all-time classic, but it's still a very good album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

Disagree on your Another Side assessment, if only because it is one of my top-3 Dylan albums. It's his shift away from the socially conscious folk music that was contained in his first two albums (I am ignoring his s/t for a moment), all captured perfectly in the song "It Ain't Me Babe", which, even if you disagree with my interpretation (that the song is his rejection, or him saying that he can't be what they want) it is still a stinging indictment to a lover.

ANNNNNNYWAYS, the album features some of my all-time favourite Dylan songs, like "To Ramona", "My Back Pages", "I Don't Believe You", and "All I Really Want to Do". It also features Dylan being silly, which may not be some people's cup of tea, but I am down with. Really, I just love the feel of the whole album.

Also, "Blood on the Tracks" is peak-Dylan for me, but I also really love the follow-up, "Desire". I am also a huge fan of "Nashville Skyline". In Dylan's "lost period" (a term I just made up, somewhere from 77 until 97), I think "Oh Mercy" gets overlooked. Not an all-time classic, but it's still a very good album.

I never said Another Side was bad. It's not, it's really good. Empire Burlesque is bad.

And I don't think oh mercy gets overlooked at all? Who overlooks it? Not dylan, he devoted a third of chronicles to it and always puts songs from it in his setlists.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

BigFactory posted:

I never said Another Side was bad. It's not, it's really good. Empire Burlesque is bad.

And I don't think oh mercy gets overlooked at all? Who overlooks it? Not dylan, he devoted a third of chronicles to it and always puts songs from it in his setlists.

I never said you said it was bad. I just mean that I think it deserves the "classic" label.

And, I think it gets overlooked from people who overlook that whole period of Dylan.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It looks like the whole "only early Dylan, you guys!" thing is over before page two, which is fine with me because I'm one of those assholes who thinks that "Love & Theft" is an amazing album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

It looks like the whole "only early Dylan, you guys!" thing is over before page two, which is fine with me because I'm one of those assholes who thinks that "Love & Theft" is an amazing album.

Love and Theft rules. It's the reason I'll always remember September 11th 2001 was on a Tuesday. I'm super sick of hearing him play those songs though. They've basically all entered the "watchtower/hwy 61/rolling stone/tangled" category of songs I never want to hear played live again. Sugar Baby is the exception. I could listen to that song forever.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I never said you said it was bad. I just mean that I think it deserves the "classic" label.

And, I think it gets overlooked from people who overlook that whole period of Dylan.

I think half his catalogue deserves the classic label, maybe more than that, but you have to make choices somewhere. It's a great Bob Dylan album, but it was followed up by 3 of the most influential albums of the second half of the 20th century.

To the other point, maybe casual fans or new fans overlook oh mercy, but it sold really well at the time (which his other records before and after didnt really), has a big name producer attached to it, and it's still really well critically reviewed. And again, those songs still make the regular rotation in concert. Songs from Down in the Groove and Knocked Out Loaded don't (Silvio did for years but you know what I mean).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Am I weird for having a soft-spot for Street Legal? There are some really great songs on it, like "Changing of the Guards" and "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)." And the closer, "Where Are You Tonight (Journey through the Dark Heat)" is just absolutely amazing. It just builds and builds, and it really stands up to the best of Dylan's catalog.

Granted, all I have ever heard was the remix that they did for the CD remaster, and apparently, the guy who did it felt like he had more free reign since nobody liked the original LP mix. So he wasn't just trying to replace missing tapes. There's obviously some weird decisions with the mixes and production though. Like, the backing vocals on Changing of the Guards just feel gratuitous, and I imagine that the song wouldn't lose anything if they weren't there. And the last minute of the song just sounds unfinished, even though it fades out.

And if you want to dig into the madness that is the various Blonde on Blonde mixes, here you go. http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BobPart1/BobPart1.htm

Short story, there's 9 different mixes of the album that are out there. 3 mono, and then 5 stereo, and 1 surround.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

Love & Theft is a pretty fantastic album; I think both it and "Time Out of Mind" are pretty fantastic and probably my two favorite albums in the "late Dylan" era?

But to be honest, I think two albums that are very underrated (to some degree) are "Good As I Been to You" and World Gone Wrong". Both albums are so similar (being that they're both entirely composed of traditional folk/blues songs, not orignal Dylan compositions) and they both have a similar aesthetic. I'm always amazed at how engaging and fun they are. I've always been a big fan of Good As I Been to You, because it contains to two of my favorite traditional folk songs (Frankie and Albert and Froggie Went-a-Courtin') and Dylan just does utterly delightful versions of them. It's really tough not to love these albums when you really listen to them, I think, and you can see a direct link between these albums and you can see the roots of where he eventually went with subsequent albums, too. It's like recording these traditional albums was part of a process that led to the brilliance of an album like "Love and Theft."

Happy Hippo posted:

I really didn't mean to be particularly restrictive at all, I just didn't want to break the rules; in the rules thread it says not to just make a general thread about a particular band/performer, so I didn't want to just be like "Bob Dylan: Talk about him." I wanted to give it a bit of focus. And despite how much I love all the different eras of his career (and I haven't even gone into how much I utterly loving love the Rolling Thunder Revue recordings from that first tour they did) I wanted to give the thread some focus.

But seriously, talk about any album or era you want. Link songs from Youtube and whatnot, too; as far as I can tell Dylan uploaded practically his entire catalog to an official youtube account. I'd love to hear people posting their favorite songs from some of these more obscure Dylan albums that tend to be sometimes disregarded by snobs like me.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm no Dylan expert and I haven't gone through my Dylan phase yet, although I absolutely love most of his records that I've heard. I'm only familiar with "The Man in Me" due to the Big Lebowski and I was wondering if the rest of New Morning is that good?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kaworu posted:

But to be honest, I think two albums that are very underrated (to some degree) are "Good As I Been to You" and World Gone Wrong". Both albums are so similar (being that they're both entirely composed of traditional folk/blues songs, not orignal Dylan compositions) and they both have a similar aesthetic. I'm always amazed at how engaging and fun they are. I've always been a big fan of Good As I Been to You, because it contains to two of my favorite traditional folk songs (Frankie and Albert and Froggie Went-a-Courtin') and Dylan just does utterly delightful versions of them. It's really tough not to love these albums when you really listen to them, I think, and you can see a direct link between these albums and you can see the roots of where he eventually went with subsequent albums, too. It's like recording these traditional albums was part of a process that led to the brilliance of an album like "Love and Theft."

You have to read Bob Dylan in America, cause that's almost exactly the focus of a big section of it. It's really an excellent read.

I prefer World Gone Wrong personally, but that's because Good As I Been To You always breaks my eardrums with how hot it's mixed.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
Let's rank our favorite Dylan albums. Here's my list:

Blood on the Tracks
Freewheelin'
Blonde on Blonde
Love and Theft
Bringing It All Back Home
John Wesley Harding
Highway 61 Revisited
Street Legal
Time Out of Mind
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Modern Times
New Morning
Desire
Shadows in the Night
The Times They Are A Changin'
Nashville Skyline
Under the Red Sky
Bob Dylan
Self-Portrait
Oh Mercy
Good as I Been to You
Together Through Life
Planet Waves
Infidels
Tempest
Slow Train Coming
Dylan
Saved
Down in the Groove
World Gone Wrong
Shot of Love
Knocked Out Loaded
Empire Burlesque

Let me know what you guys think and how your list stacks up against mine.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You like Shadows in the Night and Under the Red Sky better than Planet Waves or Infidels?

And no Christmas in the Heart so I can't take your list seriously

Ok so I'm reading that list again, and are you seriously saying that shadows in the night is basically as good as Desire? That's why lists of records are stupid.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 9, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jack of Hearts is an 8 minute slab of bad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Jack of Hearts is an 8 minute slab of bad.

I don't really disagree with that.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

BigFactory posted:

You like Shadows in the Night and Under the Red Sky better than Planet Waves or Infidels?

And no Christmas in the Heart so I can't take your list seriously

Ok so I'm reading that list again, and are you seriously saying that shadows in the night is basically as good as Desire? That's why lists of records are stupid.

Just because you disagree with my specific ranking doesn't mean album lists are inherently stupid. Ranking albums helps us see them in historical and musical context. A list is necessarily juxtapositive, both internally -- by placing albums from different times and musical spaces next to each other -- and externally -- by comparison with the reader's own implicit or explicit internal list. These juxtapositions help make conscious in the reader previously unconscious ideas about the works in question, which fosters a deeper level of discussion.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

logical phalluses posted:

Just because you disagree with my specific ranking doesn't mean album lists are inherently stupid. Ranking albums helps us see them in historical and musical context. A list is necessarily juxtapositive, both internally -- by placing albums from different times and musical spaces next to each other -- and externally -- by comparison with the reader's own implicit or explicit internal list. These juxtapositions help make conscious in the reader previously unconscious ideas about the works in question, which fosters a deeper level of discussion.

Nah it's boring.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love Jack of Hearts but I do have to spend a lot of time telling people "It's just what Dylan did, he liked folky ballads, it was the style at the time" so I can understand not liking it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Fun story about "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts" that you may or may not have heard:

OK, so to start out we all know that Bob Dylan and Joan Baez had... some sort of a thing, and that it ended badly, and that Joan probably loved Bob a good deal more sincerely back in the early '60s than Bob did, as she seemed really genuinely affected by what went on between them - whereas it's fairly clear that (based on what we know) Bob was clearly in much deeper relationships with Suze Rotolo and later Sara Lownds of course. Don't Look Back makes him seem like an absolute prick to Baez, as we're all aware.

Anyway, Baez wrote (what I think) is a pretty fantastic song about her relationship with Dylan that's become something of a classic, actually -- "Diamonds and Rust". The first verse of Diamonds and Rust actually refers to an actual incident that happened in the mid-'70s to Baez. I'll quote the lyrics:

"Well I'll be damned
Here comes your ghost again
But that's not unusual
It's just that the moon is full
And you happened to call
And here I sit
Hand on the telephone
Hearing a voice I'd known
A couple of light years ago
Heading straight for a fall."

So, the real-life incident this refers to (that inspired the writing of this song initially and is described in the above verse) is that Bob was writing Blood on the Tracks on the time, his marriage was hosed, and he was probably doing too much cocaine most likely. At the time he was experiencing something of a creative resurgence of course, though. In any case, what this refers to is that one night (apparently shortly after writing "Jack of Hearts") Dylan called up Joan Baez from a phone-booth (after not speaking to her for years of course, I believe) and was very excited about the song, and proceeded to read (what I think was an even longer unedited version) aloud to Baez. Don't know why but I always loved that song.

There's also the anecdote of them on the Rolling Thunder Revue together, and Bob going up to Baez and saying "Hey uh... Were you going to sing that song? You know, the one you wrote about blue eyes and robin's eggs?"

"Oh," Baez deadpans to him, "You mean the one I wrote about my ex-husband, David [Harris]?"

*Dylan looks glum and downcast*

"I'm bullshitting you, Bob."

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Joan Baez also famously drilled into a bank safe. It's said she got off with quite a haul.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is like uncovering a relic from a primitive internet, but if anyone cares here's a link to a full-album download (archive.org, no filez) of an album by Sidebottom that features a 23 minute long song recalling the night in Montreal where James Hetfield got burned by pyrotechnics sung to the tune of Lily Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.

https://archive.org/details/FrequentUrination

song's called Metallica.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Joan Baez also famously drilled into a bank safe. It's said she got off with quite a haul.

Is this meant to be a troll of some sort? Apparently these anecdotes are better known than I thought because they're both described in better detail (and sourced) on the wikipedia page for 'Diamonds and Rust': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamonds_%26_Rust_(song)

Also, BigFactory, you reminded me of the interesting cover that Judas Priest does of Diamonds and Rust. Which I always found to be a fascinating cover, since Halford is such a big Dylan fan it's interesting that he chose to rather prominently cover that song.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kaworu posted:

Is this meant to be a troll of some sort? Apparently these anecdotes are better known than I thought because they're both described in better detail (and sourced) on the wikipedia page for 'Diamonds and Rust': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamonds_%26_Rust_(song)
It was literally just a joke about the song's lyrics. As Bob Dylan once said: "Smoke a doobie, relax, and vote for Nixon. Far out, kemosabe."

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just wanted to say that I've finally given "Saved" a chance after being put off for years by the insane Christian thing and I'm kinda blown away. I mean, some of the lyrics are horribly silly and as a smug atheist a lot of the emotion (which is undoubtedly there) is lost on me, and some stuff definitely borders on televangelist kitsch, but... I think the songwriting is very, very strong here. If Dylan had left out the gospel choir and written secular lyrics to these tunes, we'd consider the album a classic (something I already do for the slightly more subtle "Slow train coming", which I love).

Also, "Oh Mercy" is my favorite modern Dylan album by far. Total masterpiece from start to finish IMHO. I

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
As someone who, in my younger years, second hand listened to a fair bit of Dylan (first Greatest Hits, then some albums), I've realised I've not listened to Dylan song in years and this doesnt seem right at all. I think in the next through days I'm going to chug through these 6 albums. Thanks OP!

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Wengy posted:

Just wanted to say that I've finally given "Saved" a chance after being put off for years by the insane Christian thing and I'm kinda blown away. I mean, some of the lyrics are horribly silly and as a smug atheist a lot of the emotion (which is undoubtedly there) is lost on me, and some stuff definitely borders on televangelist kitsch, but... I think the songwriting is very, very strong here. If Dylan had left out the gospel choir and written secular lyrics to these tunes, we'd consider the album a classic (something I already do for the slightly more subtle "Slow train coming", which I love).

Shot of Love is a better album (and, ironically, less preachy) than Infidels. I do think Jokerman is one of his best lyrics, though.

Favourite live versions, anyone? I love the Hard Rain version of Shelter from the Storm, with honourable mentions for Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You from Bootleg 5 and It Ain't Me Babe from Before the Flood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpA7tM2jnT0

and of course, the Biograph Visions of Johanna and Bootleg 4 Like a Rolling Stone

Barry Shitpeas fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Shot of Love is a better album (and, ironically, less preachy) than Infidels. I do think Jokerman is one of his best lyrics, though.

Favourite live versions, anyone? I love the Hard Rain version of Shelter from the Storm, with honourable mentions for Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You from Bootleg 5 and It Ain't Me Babe from Before the Flood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpA7tM2jnT0

and of course, the Biograph Visions of Johanna and Bootleg 4 Like a Rolling Stone

Interesting, I'd always preferred Infidels, maybe I'll have to give Shot of Love another chance. Out of all the Christian albums I guess I still like Slow Train Coming the best, so awesome. It and Infidels are of course both helped by Knopfler on guitar...

• Locked thread