Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what gives?
THEIR???
HE?
SHE?
View Results

• Locked thread
eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

katlington posted:

"you" is gender neutral but "yous" is masculine :eng101:

what about yins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We don't have gender specific singular pronouns in my language, op, and singular their is the closest english equivalent

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's actually not a new thing at all but okay OP

it's called figuring poo poo like that out through context

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

eSports Chaebol posted:

"You" was the informal plural/formal singular and it just replaced thou entirely eventually

already some people use "y'all" as a singular and "all y'all" as a plural

I'm not complaining it's actually really cool

no one uses yall as a singular and it drives me batty when people claim this. tell me, what is the number of the pronoun used in this sentance:

"Why are yall so stupid?"

At first glance, if you, my dear goon lady, are an idiot.... it might appear that "yall" is singula... however this ouldnt not be further from the truth. the "yall" here is plural, because that is the only number it can be. if i wanted to make it singular i would say:

"Why are you, a woman, so stupid"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

op has a lot of strong oponions on language. how do you feel about art and immigration, would you agree that only through constant war can man realise his potential?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Why not attack actual abominable language like people using "broadcasted" or talking about how an actor was "casted" for a role.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

if you think thats crazy you should try learning a gendered language where everything has a gender and you got to use it constantly. like there are languages where you can be talking about a male cat but all cats are feminine so you use the feminine form to talk about your male cat

we have it so loving easy

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

chaosbreather posted:

if you think thats crazy you should try learning a gendered language where everything has a gender and you got to use it constantly. like there are languages where you can be talking about a male cat but all cats are feminine so you use the feminine form to talk about your male cat

yeah I spake spanish

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

Imagine how difficult it must be for tumblrs in those languages.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

what about yins?

there's also yutes, the masculine form of youths. It's a plot point in My Xousin Vinny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
thanks for this poll, but there wasn't a goku option... voted anyway out of respect to the way the OP made me think

• Locked thread