Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Smythe posted:

i have a question OP the chromebook pixel looks really cool but what use is all that horsepower for a computer that cant do anything... just a little Q

it comes in two configurations, one of which has a core i7 and 16GB of RAM

idgi

joke about chrome being memory hungry maybe? is there some hidden application to chromeos that can actually make use of that hardware?? i dont know i've never used it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

HP deserve an award for how retarded some of their Chromebox's are, Intel Core i7 i7-4600U 2.10 GHz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB SSD, only 520 earth dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Chromebox-Des...words=chromebox

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

skip all other chromebook specs except ram (4gb+) and screen resolution, who gives a poop what chip its got. even the armbooks are super good.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

even the worst ones get like 6+ hrs battery life so not even thats a differentiator

get big rams, sharp screen, and pick one with decent reviews and build quality

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MrMoo posted:

HP deserve an award for how retarded some of their Chromebox's are, Intel Core i7 i7-4600U 2.10 GHz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB SSD, only 520 earth dollars.

at first i thought this was a laptop but nope you said chromebox

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i think you mean Chome

pram
Jun 10, 2001
chomebox

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

chomeo

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm chomosexual

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

I'm holding a CPu in my hand. One of the pins snapped off, but you can't tell me it's not windows compatible because it says so right on the heat thing!

I've seen a processor actually work down 1 pin. It was an AMD Opteron on a dual-proc board; got it up and running, but one of the procs was running really hot and that turned out to be the cause. Surprisingly it still seemed to work fine otherwise.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

pram posted:

chomebox

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i tried to get google to outfit my arts nonprofit with chromebooks or at least chromeboxes but they didint. fml. i wanted to move all my ppl ver the beautiful CHROMEOS but they wouldnt have it. FML

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

i tried to get google to outfit my arts nonprofit with chromebooks or at least chromeboxes but they didint. fml. i wanted to move all my ppl ver the beautiful CHROMEOS but they wouldnt have it. FML

sundar..... why........

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
;_;

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

:negative:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
might hae been my fault tho kuz i gave my grant writer lady / development director the lead and maybe she fell asleep at the switch on it. not sure. probably our fault tho. for being FAIL

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

MrMoo posted:

i wonder if theres ever going to be a point where chromebox/books get so popular that they get super expensive but still have garbage hardware

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol of course that wont happen chromeos is garbage and google will abandon it in a year

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

i wonder if theres ever going to be a point where chromebox/books get so popular that they get super expensive but still have garbage hardware

chromebook pixel is already a thing brah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

chromebook pixel is already a thing brah

it has pretty dece hardware though and doesnt sell well anyway

i mean i wanna see a $1500 atom with 1 gb of ram and a 4 gb ssd

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Beeftweeter posted:

it has pretty dece hardware though and doesnt sell well anyway

i mean i wanna see a $1500 atom with 1 gb of ram and a 4 gb ssd

the pixel is decent hardware wise but it's still a crazy price point. and to be fair, even the cr48 started at 16gb ssd, 2gb ram, and a dual core cpu.

the big differentiator for chromebooks is the screen and to a lesser extent built in lte or no

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The hardware is most def cheap poo poo. I wonder if it is designed to even last two years - especially the models with 2gb soldered to the motherboard.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Can the gfx on the new pixel handle the display?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Can the gfx on the new pixel handle the display?

since haswell, onboard graphics have been good enough for middlin tier gaming, so id imagine so.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

can someone please explain what in the gently caress the reason is for tossing a core i7 and 16GB of RAM in a chromebook? i have still not seen an explanation for that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

so u can compute ur computes faster

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
ya its for computing speed hth

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SO DEMANDING posted:

can someone please explain what in the gently caress the reason is for tossing a core i7 and 16GB of RAM in a chromebook? i have still not seen an explanation for that.
i thought that was a chrome box, not a chrome book

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

anthonypants posted:

i thought that was a chrome box, not a chrome book

the pixel has an i7 16gb configuration

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SO DEMANDING posted:

same question with respect to macbooks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Testiclops posted:

lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SO DEMANDING posted:

chrome is so lovely in recent revs that you need all that power and ram dedicated to making it acceptable

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
it's so you can open a page with more than 3 gifs on it duh.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I am watching the umd / mich st game on my cr48 and boy howdy it is blocky and stuttery.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Testiclops posted:

lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Cause the pixel isn't just internet. Its internet faster.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

maniacdevnull posted:

I am watching the umd / mich st game on my cr48 and boy howdy it is blocky and stuttery.
lol

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

how's the video playback though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how's the video playback though?

how do you give up a 15-1 lead :negative:

• Locked thread