Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

I used a Samsung Chromebook with an Exynos 5, 2gb of ram, 16gb ssd for like two years with no trouble. Video playback was lovely if you didn't let it buffer first, but aside from that it was fine. It was 330 burgertokens and had a 3g modem. I took it with me on all my motorcyclin' adventures and it held up well. An i7 and 16GB of ram for ChromeOS is pants-making GBS threads retarded. An i3 with 8gb of ram would have been quite adequate for the usage. Aside from trying to give Apple the D in market share, I can't think of a single reason why this makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I used a Samsung Chromebook with an Exynos 5, 2gb of ram, 16gb ssd for like two years with no trouble. Video playback was lovely if you didn't let it buffer first, but aside from that it was fine. It was 330 burgertokens and had a 3g modem. I took it with me on all my motorcyclin' adventures and it held up well. An i7 and 16GB of ram for ChromeOS is pants-making GBS threads retarded. An i3 with 8gb of ram would have been quite adequate for the usage. Aside from trying to give Apple the D in market share, I can't think of a single reason why this makes sense.

didnt read!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Tactical Lesbian posted:

well said

honestly even 8gb seems like overkill, 4gb is typically the high end for chromebooks

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

well said

honestly even 8gb seems like overkill, 4gb is typically the high end for chromebooks

Thanks. I did consider 4GB, but memory is getting to be pretty inexpensive. Though, 4GB would definitely be adequate.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
why get a chromebook rather than a 10 inch linx tablet with a keyboard and windows 8.1

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Valeyard posted:

why get a chromebook rather than a 10 inch linx tablet with a keyboard and windows 8.1
because the best thing about a chromebook is it not having windows

microsoft makes a product so lovely people consider it a positive that overrides every other concern that it be absent

oh this laptop cant do anything but browse the web? that seems limiting... oh it lacks windows okay then thats fine

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

because the best thing about a chromebook is it not having windows

microsoft makes a product so lovely people consider it a positive that overrides every other concern that it be absent

oh this laptop cant do anything but browse the web? that seems limiting... oh it lacks windows okay then thats fine

i mean i know this is yospos, but do actual real normal consumers realyl think windows is that trash?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Valeyard posted:

A desktop browser agent with native flash I guess. I can't really think of anything else. You can also put the chromebook into dev mode and this allows you to chroot into like, ubuntu I guess. I don't know $dick about tablets -- ever since I got a Motorola Xoom back in the day, used it for a while and then sold it after deeming that tablets are stupid.

Oh, I assumed you meant "10 inch Linux tablet" but then I Googled Linx tablets. Chromebook wins by simplicity in design, the tablet gives you... Windows. Aside from that point, the only major difference is in end-user interaction. Trackpad & keyboard built in, or a touchscreen with a (bluetooth?) keyboard. To answer your question: probably user preference. If you just want a slim laptop for just a web browser with a suuuuper long battery life, Chromebook owns. If you want more multimedia, probably the tablet. I really enjoyed having the Chromebook with me on my trips last summer.

I'm basing these points on the 300 dollar Chromebook, not the Pixel.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tactical Lesbian posted:

A desktop browser agent with native flash I guess. I can't really think of anything else. You can also put the chromebook into dev mode and this allows you to chroot into like, ubuntu I guess. I don't know $dick about tablets -- ever since I got a Motorola Xoom back in the day, used it for a while and then sold it after deeming that tablets are stupid.

Oh, I assumed you meant "10 inch Linux tablet" but then I Googled Linx tablets. Chromebook wins by simplicity in design, the tablet gives you... Windows. Aside from that point, the only major difference is in end-user interaction. Trackpad & keyboard built in, or a touchscreen with a (bluetooth?) keyboard. To answer your question: probably user preference. If you just want a slim laptop for just a web browser with a suuuuper long battery life, Chromebook owns. If you want more multimedia, probably the tablet. I really enjoyed having the Chromebook with me on my trips last summer.

I'm basing these points on the 300 dollar Chromebook, not the Pixel.

I picked out that Linx tablet in particular just because it was similarly priced to the low end Chromebooks except its actually higher spec but less money. I mean you could just use Chrome on it and then its essentially a Chromebook anyway

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Valeyard posted:

I picked out that Linx tablet in particular just because it was similarly priced to the low end Chromebooks except its actually higher spec but less money. I mean you could just use Chrome on it and then its essentially a Chromebook anyway

Right, but again, I did say the only major difference was in end-user interaction. The specs are slightly higher, but it's also running a larger OS, and a lovely one at that. Probably evens out, but that's just speculation on my part -- I don't know the particulars of 8.1 or how it's optimized for tablet use. Is that battery life of 6-8 hours standby? I'd usually go like a week without charging the Chromebook.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Valeyard posted:

i mean i know this is yospos, but do actual real normal consumers realyl think windows is that trash?

no they do not. that's why windows is well over 90% of the computer market just like its been for 20+ years

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

no they do not. that's why windows is well over 90% of the computer market just like its been for 20+ years

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

no they will not

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

spankmeister posted:

no they will not

DAYUM

A+ rated 5

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
regular users just think computers in general are trash

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

;

Maximum Leader posted:

They're right

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

fuckin' lusers

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
reminder that chromebooks are set to have a record year of sales in 2015 with a whole 9 million devices.

with windows being set to sell like 300 million.

and macs to be like 20 million

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Valeyard posted:

yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihorvo2tEuA

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lmao

if that was actually real and not staged then people are retards

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
you could do the exact same thing with yosposters and android, except instead of saying "huh i need to get me some of that Android!" they would kill themselves at the revelation

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah except theyd instantly know when you hand them some giant lovely plastic clownphone

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Valeyard posted:

lmao

if that was actually real and not staged then people are retards

lmao windows vista

they even made their staged video terribly

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Maximum Leader posted:

yeah

that's why i still think an android or ios laptop would sell like gangbusters

but until then chromebooks are super great

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

maniacdevnull posted:

yeah

that's why i still think an android or ios laptop would sell like gangbusters

but until then chromebooks are super great

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/21/hp-slatebook-14-review/

here ya go buddy

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

$430 dollars

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

$430 dollars

$236.77 on amazon now, almost half price in only 6 months :newlol:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

i wonder if anyone that was shown that said "umm thats windows vista" and the horrible windows ad person kept insisting "no this is windows mojave its different"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lol beats audio

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I think MS cutting the price of windows to the bone for netbooks (hp stream 11) will curtail chromebook growth quite a bit. How many people bought a chromebook because oh no janitoring or virii or anything, and how many bought because "OMG $200 laptop"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I think MS cutting the price of windows to the bone for netbooks (hp stream 11) will curtail chromebook growth quite a bit. How many people bought a chromebook because oh no janitoring or virii or anything, and how many bought because "OMG $200 laptop"

i had a legit license for my copy of windows on my cr48 and i switched back primarily to stop needing to constantly update it. I don't use it a ton but every god dammed time it's got a million updates to push down. maybe I'm a corner case but idk

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

where was the picture of different jobs and their laptop and apps and it was showing one guy with dreamweaver and photoshop and indesign and someone elsehad visual studio and something else, all the way up to "art director" and it was just a macbook air with outlook and that's all

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

maniacdevnull posted:

i had a legit license for my copy of windows on my cr48 and i switched back primarily to stop needing to constantly update it. I don't use it a ton but every god dammed time it's got a million updates to push down. maybe I'm a corner case but idk

yeah, I have no idea. I'd figure MS did some market research before selling cut rate licenses though.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'd figure MS did some market research

:confused:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

where was the picture of different jobs and their laptop and apps and it was showing one guy with dreamweaver and photoshop and indesign and someone elsehad visual studio and something else, all the way up to "art director" and it was just a macbook air with outlook and that's all

sum1 post this please.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what kind of laptop would a "SomethingAwful Forums Poster" use

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tactical Lesbian posted:

the wrong one

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Humor me. Post what you think is the right answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tactical Lesbian posted:

• Locked thread