Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Signed-up for a German Divisional Command, because of course my Combat Mission alter-ego would have a dad that served under Bacarruda in the Great War.
The only way to make him not mutiny is to put him in command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Something super low-level and small; German please. Krieg macht Spaß! :toot:

Slaan posted:

I'll sign up to defend the Fatherland from those bloodthirsty Frenchmen and Perfidious Albion. :hitler:

Lower-level German unit please.
Moin moin, Slaan.

Edit: It looks like I'm too late. Oh well, I'll just watch you guys get murdered.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

Something super low-level and small; German please. Krieg macht Spaß! :toot:

Moin moin, Slaan.

Edit: It looks like I'm too late. Oh well, I'll just watch you guys get murdered.
We shall reinforce opposite sides when the year turns perhaps.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

We shall reinforce opposite sides when the year turns perhaps.
Good lord, half the milhist thread is here.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

Where else would we be?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arquinsiel posted:

Where else would we be?

At work :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Any British commands left?

Is there a Royal Naval Division? I wanna command the Royal Naval Division.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 10, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

HEY GAL posted:

More than half.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I'm not available for things now, but I'd like to toss my hat in the ring for potential future commands. Either side is fine.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The franglais butchering is glorious and also took me more effort to get that I expected.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I expect elan will carry the French this time. Our 1914 was surely a fluke.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Woodchip posted:

I expect elan will carry the French this time. Our 1914 was surely a fluke.

Is élan some sort of fruit? It sounds like just the thing to lift the spirits of our men! Esprit de corpses.

E: also, holy gently caress, they direct fired modern artillery at the beginning of the war?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is élan some sort of fruit? It sounds like just the thing to lift the spirits of our men! Esprit de corpses.

E: also, holy gently caress, they direct fired modern artillery at the beginning of the war?

Yep! think of them as we think of WWII AT guns or napoleonic cannon.

EDIT:

Its all about doctrine - All sides thought this would be a rapid moving war, where you brought up your buns to blast away accuratly at enemy strongpoints - leveling them so the infantry can overwhelm them and be in the enemy capital for supper. Setting up the maps and strategies needed to call in indirect artillery were known, but as radios were uncommon and maps unreliable, it was honestly thought that the time needed to set up the battery, get the message to them, calculate the firing solution and then deliver the fire was to long. They also considered the chance of hitting your own troops, who would have advanced up during that time, weas to high.

This seems like madness to us, but we have two World Wars worth of experiance to draw on.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 11, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

The famous French 75, arguably the first modern artillery piece, was originally built to rapid-fire time-fused shrapnel shot over open sights into enemy troops in the open.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You're a brave man, Grey. Because sorting out that German mess when they start spreading out is gonna be something else.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
I hate to be "that guy", but does anyone else find it odd that a certain Allied Corps Commander who was certain of one plan of attack 2 days ago now feels very strongly in another direction.

HOTLANTA Man seems awfully keen on the right flank all of a sudden.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Gnooble posted:

I hate to be "that guy", but does anyone else find it odd that a certain Allied Corps Commander who was certain of one plan of attack 2 days ago now feels very strongly in another direction.

HOTLANTA Man seems awfully keen on the right flank all of a sudden.

I was just thinking the same thing.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
If you're talking about me then I haven't looked in the German thread since Grey split the threads but keep throwing accusations around.

If you really think something's up you're more than welcome to email me at guildmasteratti at gmail dot com and I can show you my logic without spoiling but I'm not going to dignify anything baseless with a response.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 12, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The fact you're posting in the spectator-only thread gives that away, guy. :ssh:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't aware this was spectator only, I thought this was just for general discussion, my mistake.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Agreed on all points. I just hope that people can recognize that games aren't any fun to watch if everything has to be hidden. When I played the Goon Mandatory Palestine sim a couple years ago it was a total blast, but sadly few of the spectators were able to take part since everything sensitive was conducted via e-mail or in irc rooms. And I can already see that beginning to happen here. It would be a pity to lose public access to the game simply because of a few spoilsports. We should expect some degree of unexpected insight from players, but I've certainly been noticing the unerring accuracy of Entente "predictions" (and conversely, German recognition of that fact).

Part of it, I think, is coming from the GM decision to place the two forces into immediate conflict with each other. I think that perhaps it would have been better to have placed the French farther back along the line, in order to permit the two forces to maneuver and conduct some reconnaissance before committing to their positions. As it is, these initial orders seem to have been lent undue weight. But c'est la guerre.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I wasn't aware this was spectator only, I thought this was just for general discussion, my mistake.

For what it's worth, I think that it would be a good idea for the GM to create some kind of general discussion thread, if only to permit players to communicate with the opposing team and mock them with amusing propaganda.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 12, 2015

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The fact you're posting in the spectator-only thread gives that away, guy. :ssh:

This.

Kaal posted:

Agreed on all points. I just hope that people can recognize that games aren't any fun to watch if everything has to be hidden. When I played the Goon Mandatory Palestine sim a couple years ago it was a total blast, but sadly few of the spectators were able to take part since everything sensitive was conducted via e-mail or in irc rooms. And I can already see that beginning to happen here. It would be a pity to lose public access to the game simply because of a few spoilsports. We should expect some degree of unexpected insight from players, but I've certainly been noticing the unerring accuracy of Entente "predictions" (and conversely, German recognition of that fact).

Part of it, I think, is coming from the GM decision to place the two forces into immediate conflict with each other. I think that perhaps it would have been better to have placed the French farther back along the line, in order to permit the two forces to maneuver and conduct some reconnaissance before committing to their positions. As it is, these initial orders seem to have been lent undue weight. But c'est la guerre.

For what it's worth, I think that it would be a good idea for the GM to create some kind of general discussion thread, if only to permit players to communicate with the opposing team and mock them with amusing propaganda.

I also think it's neat to have a place both sides can poke at each other. I just remember Grey's Forge of Freedom Goon vs Goon, that was in the end marred by too much sudden insight, so I may just be hypersensitive to it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

German Thread

Allied Thread

If you are playing, please go to your respective thread. This thread is now off limits to both sides and will act as the peanut gallery. Please refrain from posting any sensitive data for the first few posts while people catch up.

Good luck to both sides.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yeah, This is now the spectator thread. Although I could create another one if people think that's a good idea. Nothing sensitive has been posted in here yet.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
3 threads is probably enough.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, This is now the spectator thread. Although I could create another one if people think that's a good idea. Nothing sensitive has been posted in here yet.

Well besides confirming that some allied commander is correct about the German deployment (because otherwise no one would have been suspicious that they were cheating).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

uPen posted:

3 threads is probably enough.

You're probably right about there being more than enough threads. One thing that occurred to me is that perhaps Grey Hunter could offer the occasional opportunity for teams to draft "Radio Bulletins" in their own thread, which he or someone else can then post into the other two threads.

edit: Also, for those of you not closely following the faction threads, Grey Hunter has posted the initial drafts of the deployment orders, as well as rendering a decision about HOTLANTA MAN. Personally I think that ultimately HOTLANTA MAN fell victim to his own enthusiasm, one way or the other, and the suspension should not be seen as a character slight. It's harsh, but fair, and probably the less said about it, the better. It's a tough break for the Allies (who aren't happy about it, but seem to be taking it as well as can be expected), but I think that everyone will be assured that GH is taking the appearance of fair play quite seriously. Hopefully this will be the first and also the last time this issue needs to be brought up.

GH Decision: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705109&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post442633536
Allied Deployment: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705109&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post442633934
German Deployment: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705107&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post442634381

Kaal fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 12, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, as you can see, we have a bit of a quandry.

HOTLANTA MAN has read and posted in this thread, and there is the shift of allied forces to the right. BUT, there is nothing in this thread that is too incriminating, and that could have been the result of ongoing discussions.

You can read the French thread, but I'll state it here again. Do I allow HOTLANTA MAN to continue and the french plan to Continue, or do I force them to use their older deployments and relive HOTLANTA MAN of command?

I'm not sure there is a good choice here, but I'm going to take your advice as impartial observers.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I would like to join as the Netherlands, please.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Grey Hunter posted:

HOTLANTA MAN has read and posted in this thread, and there is the shift of allied forces to the right. BUT, there is nothing in this thread that is too incriminating, and that could have been the result of ongoing discussions.

You can read the French thread, but I'll state it here again. Do I allow HOTLANTA MAN to continue and the french plan to Continue, or do I force them to use their older deployments and relive HOTLANTA MAN of command?

I'm not sure there is a good choice here, but I'm going to take your advice as impartial observers.

As someone who has read all three threads, I don't see anything too incriminating either. Obviously HOTLANTA MAN seems to have missed the bit in the OP about the actual participants being confined to their own threads. Someone was bound to sooner or later. I suggest that you let him continue and post a brief note to both threads of the decision and that participants are not to read either of the "other" two threads. Then if anything suspicious happens again you can drop the ban-hammer immediately with a clear conscience.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

Well I'd say that first off, given that reinforcements are coming to both sides and intentionally function to tweak the game balance, there's nothing going on here that can't be fixed later if need be. Even if the Allies present a prescient defense, it can always be rebalanced. The key should be establishing game rules going forward, and I think that you've certainly made your position clear to the Allies and to this thread. To my mind, HOTLANTA MAN may or may not have been looking where he shouldn't, but the truth is that several people have come across as knowing more than they probably should, and trying to ascertain the truth for all of them would be overly disruptive.

Give HOTLANTA MAN a slap on the wrist for reading and posting in the spoilers thread, in the form of a one-to-three-turn command suspension to prevent him from sharing any information that he might have gained prior to contact with the opposing force, and permit the Allies to go forward with their deployments as they decide. I think that players will be more cautious in their behavior and their appearance of fairness going forward, and if not then they will also be quite understanding of your need to take punitive action in order to maintain the spirit of the game.

Also, I would suggest being cautious in informing the Germans about the incident, telling them that there was an incident of impropriety in the spoiler thread, that it has been resolved to your satisfaction, reiterating the need for both sides to keep to their own threads and not the other two, and telling the German High Commander that you are willing to speak with him in more detail about the incident if he thinks it is necessary.

Finally, I would suggest not rendering a decision until later when tempers have cooled and more spectators have had the opportunity to weigh in, but perhaps giving the Allies an estimated time for when you will post your decision, so that they don't need to constantly stew and recheck the thread. Ultimately, the decision should be aimed at maintaining the good spirit of the game and its players. Anyone who plays sports has probably earned themselves a penalty or a yellow card before - deserved or undeserved - it's just part of competitive gaming.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 12, 2015

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I once heard this anecdote about censorship during the First World War. Instead of going through each letter and cutting out what might be sensitive, the French would just stick all the letters in a sack for like a month, and then pass them on once the information inside was no longer relevant.

I have no idea how you might apply that idea to the current situation, but it's kind of a neat story.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I like reading these threads and wouldn't like to give the teams even more reason to use their roll20 chats for everything.

An honest mistake is still a mistake.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

When I posted, I wasn't sure, it just seemed odd to me the timing of the Allies change of deployments. As I said, I may just be hypersensitive.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think relieving HOTLANTA MAN of current command is probably for the best (but if there are in-battle reinforcements he could come back that soon, I think).. Posting in this thread was out of bounds, and as pointed out, there was knowledge gained by knowing that what the French did looked like a response to German deployment. At this point that information has of course leaked in some fashion to the whole side, but his post is the only tangible proof of anyone doing something wrong.

That said, I got the impression that some on the German side might in fact have been reading this thread inappropriately too. Not making any accusations, as there could be innocent explanations there, but hopefully it's clear that the participants need to stay out, and taking action on the clearest infraction is required.

As for deployments, keep them with whatever your current decision is, just to make things proceed more smoothly. Letting this add delays isn't going to help matters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That's my plan now, allow a few shuffle to take into account firing lines and the like, but we should be pretty set - people will most likely be moving anyway.

Things are going to get a bit crazy when the map suddenly opens up and people see new map!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

In other news, how do you think this is gonna go down? I think the French are going to take some severe losses this "year"; the layered defense means that only a paltry sum of their forces are actually fighting the girth of the Germans and I think they lines will start dropping pretty fast.

Depends how soon they cross, I suppose.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

In other news, how do you think this is gonna go down? I think the French are going to take some severe losses this "year"; the layered defense means that only a paltry sum of their forces are actually fighting the girth of the Germans and I think they lines will start dropping pretty fast.

Depends how soon they cross, I suppose.

I'm really not sure - if the Germans can get across in good time, then they can pin the French and roll down the flank - the German green Corps is going to evaporate soon into the attack, then the BEF will turn up and this is going to get interesting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Rather than having to keep track of three threads, will the turn results be posted in this thread as well for the benefit of spectators?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Rather than having to keep track of three threads, will the turn results be posted in this thread as well for the benefit of spectators?

Yep, that's the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

if you are still reading this thread and on either side, please stop NOW

Here we go! we can see the advantage the French have with their forward deployment and hills.They have a much better idea where the Germans are!

• Locked thread